Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Broadband pathetic Speeds

Options
  • 13-11-2011 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭

For the last 2 weeks my broadband connection has been crap
    About a month ago we had a technician out who tested the line and said we were getting 3mb and it was fine for a day or two now its gone again
    I am trying to download files like Google Chrome for a new computer and it times out
    Currently downloading Java Setup so that I can run a speed check and in the last 5 minutes the speeds have either been 142 bytes per second or 392 bytes per second
    As soon as I figure out how to upload the photos via by I-phone I will do so

My broadband speed is so slow that my I-Phone is faster using O2's 3G cellular network!

And before you ask
    A) I have disabled the wifi on my router
    B) My computer is the only hardware connected to the broadband line
    C) I have disconnected the phone and the fax machine
    D) My broadband is wired and I changed the cable in case the old one was damaged
    E) My computer is not running any programs in the background that might be slowing it down and the Java download is the only thing using my bandwidth at the moment

Very unhappy with Eircom customer support
    The guy on the phone told me I needed a new computer that there was nothing wrong with the line!!!!!!!!!

Eircom Account no. 57810260

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

angelfire9 wrote: »
    For the last 2 weeks my broadband connection has been crap
    About a month ago we had a technician out who tested the line and said we were getting 3mb and it was fine for a day or two now its gone again
    I am trying to download files like Google Chrome for a new computer and it times out
    Currently downloading Java Setup so that I can run a speed check and in the last 5 minutes the speeds have either been 142 bytes per second or 392 bytes per second
    As soon as I figure out how to upload the photos via by I-phone I will do so

My broadband speed is so slow that my I-Phone is faster using O2's 3G cellular network!

And before you ask
    A) I have disabled the wifi on my router
    B) My computer is the only hardware connected to the broadband line
    C) I have disconnected the phone and the fax machine
    D) My broadband is wired and I changed the cable in case the old one was damaged
    E) My computer is not running any programs in the background that might be slowing it down and the Java download is the only thing using my bandwidth at the moment

Very unhappy with Eircom customer support
    The guy on the phone told me I needed a new computer that there was nothing wrong with the line!!!!!!!!!

Eircom Account no. 57810260

Hi angelfire9
    I can see that tech support have an existing fault ticket opened against this problem. Your issue may be at local exchange and we are looking into this now. I hope to have word back on this today or tomorrow.
    Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

Over the weekend I tried a few things
    I swapped the router, the DSL filters, changed the cables, tried using wireless connection which is showing excellent signal strength and speeds I can only dream of
    Am now connected via cable to the router and direct to the socket (no filter) and the "speeds" are so slow I can't even perform a speed test

I hope ye can sort this out I keep getting told there is no problem with the line but with 4 different computers my speeds are pathetic
    It can't be a hardware problem in the house and I am not paying €50 a month for broadband that is slower than an ISDN connection!

Look forward to hearing back from you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

Over the weekend I tried a few things
    I swapped the router, the DSL filters, changed the cables, tried using wireless connection which is showing excellent signal strength and speeds I can only dream of
    Am now connected via cable to the router and direct to the socket (no filter) and the "speeds" are so slow I can't even perform a speed test

I hope ye can sort this out I keep getting told there is no problem with the line but with 4 different computers my speeds are pathetic
    It can't be a hardware problem in the house and I am not paying €50 a month for broadband that is slower than an ISDN connection!

Look forward to hearing back from you

Hi angelfire9,

Thanks for your patience. As advised earlier there is a current case logged and excalated to eircom engineers. It may be best to wait until they have completed their checks before fully retesting your broadband.

When works are completed, try to test your broadband with just one computer device at first. Shut down all but one computer and connect it directly to the modem with an Ethernet cable, if possible. This will give you more of an accurate picture of your broadband connection.

If you need an update on your current escalated case, please call into Technical Support. As suggested, it is probably best to wait until the engineers have completed their checks before testing your broadband.

Broadband Technical Support : 1890 260260 (locall); Hours : 08:00 - 22:00 (7 days).

Best regards,

Ant

Well my broadband worked last night, 2 speedtests 1 from Eircom and one from speedtest.net both recorded speeds in excess of 2mb/sec which for a 3mb line is quite acceptable
    This morning it is gone again, the speedtest page won't even load

1 computer connected via wired connection
    No difference in the set up between 11pm last night and 11am this morning

As far as I'm concerned this confirms what I've been saying all along that this is an Eircom problem outside of my house
    Eircom technicians were at my estate yesterday evening til about 6pm
    From 4-6 I had no Internet at all
    After they left around 6pm I had the fastest connection I've ever had... Coincidence? I think not!!!

Well my broadband worked last night, 2 speedtests 1 from Eircom and one from speedtest.net both recorded speeds in excess of 2mb/sec which for a 3mb line is quite acceptable
    This morning it is gone again, the speedtest page won't even load

1 computer connected via wired connection
    No difference in the set up between 11pm last night and 11am this morning

As far as I'm concerned this confirms what I've been saying all along that this is an Eircom problem outside of my house
    Eircom technicians were at my estate yesterday evening til about 6pm
    From 4-6 I had no Internet at all
    After they left around 6pm I had the fastest connection I've ever had... Coincidence? I think not!!!

Hi angelfire9,

Thanks again. As advised, there is a case ungoing and currently under investigation by eircom engineers. Technical Support will need to wait until the engineers fully complete their investigation before they have further advice on this fault.

It is therefore probably best to wait until the engineers have completed their checks first before testing your broadband. Engineers will be able to resolve any eircom related fault and Technical Support will then be able to advise on this or in any unrelated eircom or Internet issues.

Broadband Technical Support : 1890 260260 (locall); Hours : 08:00 - 22:00 (7 days).

Regards,
    Ant

• Advertisement

Can I please request the email address & if possible a contact name for Eircom accounts and some one high up in the food chain for Eircom Technical support
    or customer complaints!

Thanks guys

Can I please request the email address & if possible a contact name for Eircom accounts and some one high up in the food chain for Eircom Technical support
    or customer complaints!

Thanks guys

Hi angelfire9,

Thank you for contacting the eircom Forum on Boards.

Can you PM a mobile contact phone number so I can arrange for a call back from eircom Technical Support.

Best regards,
    Ant

Hi Ant,
    To be honest I don't want to talk to anyone in Eircom Technical Support
    After a dozen phonecalls and having had your techs treat me like a moron I would like to put down in writing my complaints about the "service" provided to me by your broadband support team

Surely there is a postal address or email address for such complaints?

Hi Ant,
    To be honest I don't want to talk to anyone in Eircom Technical Support
    After a dozen phonecalls and having had your techs treat me like a moron I would like to put down in writing my complaints about the "service" provided to me by your broadband support team

Surely there is a postal address or email address for such complaints?

Hi, appreciate your fraustration and thank you for your patience as the engineers have tried to resolve this issue. I have rechecked your fault status with the engineers. This is now pending clear and all indications are that your broadband has been working - and was connected solidly recently. I have attempted to contact you directly, and have left a voice message on your mobile phone.

If you'd like me to call again, just DM your contact and I'll get back to you.

Cheers, Ant

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭billyduk

"Resolve" it? Ha! Thanks for the laugh! This fault happens to me regularly. Eircom claim that a tree that is near my line is "causing interference".... I don't remember planting a frequency emitting tree in my garden but we cut it down and move on!

Few weeks later it happens again. This time its not the now chopped down mature tree, instead "its definitely the internal wiring" (which techs "are not insured to inspect"). When you rewire your home its another excuse. What do you expect from a company that considers 8MB broadband "super".

UPC can not cable my road fast enough...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement