Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chain length/new cassette

• 13-11-2011 1:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭

So.........I'm about to go Xmas shopping, I'm getting a new cassette and chain, I'm going from a 11-26 to an 11-21 (50/34 chainrings), should the new chain be that little bit shorter (maybe one/two links) ?? and will I see any problems with this set-up ??!! Help/info much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭victorcarrera

The new chain will have more links than you will need. So to establish the correct length put the chain on the big ring and smallest sprocket. Pull the chain ends together until the rear mech arm is vertical (or near vertical). then remove the spare links. Doing it this way ensures the chain is long enough for the highest gear and the rear mech arm should take up the slack for the lowest gear. So the old and new chain length should be the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

^^ Cheers Victor, just to re-iterate (as I haven't broken/fixed a chain yet), the new chain length (for an 11-21) should work out the same length as the old chain length even tho the old chain supported an 11-26 cassette ?! I'm getting an SRAM chain, so I presume I can use the power-link to put it back together ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

^^ Cheers Victor, just to re-iterate (as I haven't broken/fixed a chain yet), the new chain length (for an 11-21) should work out the same length as the old chain length even tho the old chain supported an 11-26 cassette ?! I'm getting an SRAM chain, so I presume I can use the power-link to put it back together ?
    It probably won't shift as well as the RD will be taking up more slack than it ought to. If your current chain is sized correctly then going from 26t to 21t at the back should mean removing 5 links.

going from 26t to 21t at the back should mean removing 5 links
    wow, I didn't think it would be 5 links, I thought 1 or 2 at the most.

I think I'll try the method above & also the one where you wrap your chain around the largest sprocket on the rear cassette and the largest front chainring (ignoring the deraileur). Bring the ends together on the front chainring until they can be just connected, then add one extra link to the length, and see what this gives me.

You are not increasing the tooth range so the new chain will not need to be longer than the old one. The new 11-21 is within the range of the old 11-26 so it doesn't need to be shorter.(Remember you were already shifting 11-21+ OK) The shifting quality won't be adversely affected because the 'B adjustment is designed to keep the top pulley wheel close to the sprockets. If anything the shifting will be smoother because the jumps will be smaller. (That's assuming the new parts are HG, the same or better.
    Depending on your chain stay length the chain should be 52 to 53 links long.
    According to the manufacturers instructions the power link/lock is not supposed to be reused. Many think this is due to a patent constraint that is soon to run out. I reuse my 9 speeds power links for as long as the chain lasts but no more. I think it is just as strong as an ordinary link.
    @Lemag. Just in case you were thinking this was a fixed gear query. the chain only engages with half the teeth of the chain wheel and sprockets. (think about it and recalculate).

• Advertisement

According to the manufacturers instructions the power link/lock is not supposed to be reused. Many think this is due to a patent constraint that is soon to run out. I reuse my 9 speeds power links for as long as the chain lasts but no more. I think it is just as strong as an ordinary link.
    After a bit of goooogling I'm suddenly knowledgeable :pac:, are you sure you're not confusing power-lock on 10 speed chains with power-link on 9 speed chains, the power-lock can only be used once, something to do with narrow 10 speed chains.

After a bit of goooogling I'm suddenly knowledgeable :pac:, are you sure you're not confusing power-lock on 10 speed chains with power-link on 9 speed chains, the power-lock can only be used once, something to do with narrow 10 speed chains.

No because I have used/reused both. I referred to both since you did not specify whether you had 9 or 10 sp. The 9 sp can be opened and closed easily without tools but the first time you open a 10 sp you will need a suitable pliers they loosen up after that. As I said earlier I think the reason Sram can't declare the 10sp is reusable is due to patent which I think Wipperman or others may have. There are other 10sp reusable links which are easier to open/close but I would not recommend reuse past the life of one chain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

wow, I didn't think it would be 5 links, I thought 1 or 2 at the most.
    Oops! I'd intended to type 5/2 with 5 being the tooth count difference between the largest sprocket on each cassette. Of course you'd have to add in an even number of links so 2 or 4.
    @Lemag. Just in case you were thinking this was a fixed gear query. the chain only engages with half the teeth of the chain wheel and sprockets. (think about it and recalculate).
    Bingo!

Advertisement