Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modeling Reel

Options
  • 13-11-2011 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hello. First post here (I think)!

Anyway, a few weeks ago I finished a modeling reel. I went to irishfilmmakersnetwork to get some feedback there, but the cg/animation forum seems to be almost dead. So I came here instead.

There are four models in the reel. Two of them were designed by me - it's the first time I've done a reel with original designs, so I'm pretty happy with that.

Anyway, I'd like to hear what you guys think. If there's anyone there who works in the industry at the moment, your responses would be especially appreciated.

Vimeo:
    http://vimeo.com/31366167

Youtube:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPKR8TJB2Ro

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

You might get some good responses on creativeireland.com - there's a few 3F folks there.

I don't know much about 3D, but have a quick question, why are there 2 models in your reel that you didn't do? Is a modelling reel not about showing off your modelling skills?

Also, other small comment, i'd cut the run time in half, there's not much in there, and viewers time is short.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Temppe

Hi P,

I think you misunderstood what I said.
    Temppe wrote: »
    There are four models in the reel. Two of them were designed by me - it's the first time I've done a reel with original designs, so I'm pretty happy with that.

All of the models were modeled by me. Two of them were also designed by me, and the other two (the MiG and the T-34) were existing designs.

I'll check out creativeireland.com - I hadn't heard of it before. Thanks for the heads up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Ahhh got ya - that makes sense now. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

really nice work. I mean its flawless from what I can see. There's great edge flow and the reel doesn't really leave much to the imagination which imo makes for very strong presentation. I cant stand nothing more than someone showing off their 3d work with alot of dark shadows that hide areas of the model etc and not to mention, fast cuts are the devil. It just shows that they are hiding creases etc. The lighting is also very pleasant.

I liked the run time. If anything, from a modeling pov I would have liked to see a few more parts up close so I could see how you achieved certain things.

I would really like to get more insight to your work flow because Im having problems with paneling on an r8 I'm modeling atm.

Thanks.

About the R8, I haven't done a car myself in a good while. Although I have switched to NURBS for most hard surface modeling, I would be tempted to still use subdivision for a car (i.e. the workflow I used here would be no use to you) because the overall shape is quiet organic.

Sorry for the vague answer to your question! I may be more use to you if you ask a more specific question.

Do you go to the WIP forums on CGTalk? If you don't, you should join immediately. I learned 95% (no exageration!) of what I now know from reading those forums.

• Advertisement

About the R8, I haven't done a car myself in a good while. Although I have switched to NURBS for most hard surface modeling, I would be tempted to still use subdivision for a car (i.e. the workflow I used here would be no use to you) because the overall shape is quiet organic.

I dont use nurbs, I just start off with a single poly then shift drag out the edges and bend them into shape. I've heard alot of good things about nurbs but I need to learn the basics on a one to one basis before I can really sink my teeth into something. Which is why I'm still using subdivs. I think I'll spend the next while playing with nurbs tho, I have done it before, but i cant remember what problems it threw up for me, ill have to try find some and repost! Im very interested in how you got your panels done. Where one sheet of metal meets another, is that where zBrush comes in? did you draw in the joins in with a negative brush?

I modeled a [url=https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/1538/181458.jpg[/url] a while back, but there are no panels on it. Where the red line is there should be where the bonet meets the side panel.

my organic moddeling and rigging is imo a good standard. Im not much of an animator, but im trying out different rigs at the moment, they were my priority. Shame how that alien head rendered over vimeo - its out of sync :/

Do you go to the WIP forums on CGTalk? If you don't, you should join immediately. I learned 95% (no exageration!) of what I now know from reading those forums.

I've been around that site a few times, that and evermotion. Vehicular modelling is something I could never get my head around if im honest! Ill sign up to it and see where it takes me.

Again, great models! Whats your username on CGTalk?

red_ice wrote: »
    I've heard alot of good things about nurbs but I need to learn the basics on a one to one basis before I can really sink my teeth into something. Which is why I'm still using subdivs.

NURBS can be easy to get started with, depending on the software you use. I use Rhinoceros. I've tried using Max for NURBS and it's a nightmare. NURBS models tend to take longer to make, but are more accurate and more polygonally efficient.
    red_ice wrote: »
    Im very interested in how you got your panels done. Where one sheet of metal meets another, is that where zBrush comes in? did you draw in the joins in with a negative brush?

I didn't use ZBrush at all on these models. The panels on the MiG were done by first modeling the overall shape (a tube, in this case), then cutting edges into the model according to the blueprints. Then select these edges and extrude them inwards. When you do it this way, you can get shading isues with the smoothing groups, but if you know how smoothing groups work, you can tweak the triangles and cut in a few additional edges to fix this easily.

If you want an awesome example of subdivision car modeling, take a look at this guy's WIP thread.
    http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=43&t=457442&highlight=Kleeman
    (And my username there is Temppe as well.)

NURBS can be easy to get started with, depending on the software you use. I use Rhinoceros. I've tried using Max for NURBS and it's a nightmare. NURBS models tend to take longer to make, but are more accurate and more polygonally efficient.

I think thats where i went wrong then, I used max for nurbs. I remember just doing splines around my blueprint then throwing on a modifier and having a surface made. It was good, but I couldnt control it properly!

Then select these edges and extrude them inwards. When you do it this way, you can get shading isues with the smoothing groups, but if you know how smoothing groups work, you can tweak the triangles and cut in a few additional edges to fix this easily.

Hah, I never thought about extruding an edge in my 6 or so years of max. Its so obvious! For my panels i was selecting the panel area, extruding the polys for that, then chamfering the edges. Or, detaching the panels, shell modifier, collapse the stack, chamfer, smooth.

I've watched a few videos now, and it seems to be exactly what you just said. extrude the edges, select edge, ring, connect with 2 segments(to pin), then disconnect the panel. Im trying it on a variety of surfaces now and its working a charm!

If you want an awesome example of subdivision car modeling, take a look at this guy's WIP thread.
    http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthre...hlight=Kleeman
    (And my username there is Temppe as well.)

Thats a very serious model. His texture and light is amazing. Makes me think I need to get into vRay asap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Excellent work OP, really good detail and the reel shows off how clean the models are.

Most of my max experience is architectural but I'm getting into product and automotive stuff because the architectural industry is so slow at the minute. P, I've modelled an R8 myself, it was the first car I've done and it's a whole different ball game to bricks and glass! Moving each and every vertex in each plane and keeping track is tough. The final model wasn't anywhere near perfect but it's a great feeling finishing a model and having it look somewhat like what you are trying to model. I'm starting a 3 series BMW which I hope will be of better quality.

I'd love to see a WIP thread of your R8 build or in fact anyone who is modelling anything. There's not much 3d traffic round here and it'd be great to swap comments and advice between the few that are here.

There ye go, its attached there. Thats the rough shell with a few modifiers collapsed. I've hit the pause button on that one tho, I have something else I wanna try out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Meant to say red_ice in my post, not P, sorry!

Will take a look later, thanks, am on mobile now.

Advertisement