Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Crime never pays

• 13-11-2011 1:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Christmas in Rathkeale should be interesting this year, where there will probably be more armour-plated Humvees around than up-market SUVs.

http://www.sundayworld.com/columnists/index.php
    A GANG of Irish traveller thieves are in the middle of a holy war - after liberating €200,000 cash destined for Libyan rebels. In a tale worthy of the John le Carre thriller Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy, the scam artists from Rathkeale in Co Limerick hit the jackpot when they robbed a home in Dublin's Firhouse.
    As well as a haul of family jewels, they stumbled upon €200,000 in €500 bills hidden in the hot press. But the homeowner was well-known Irish Libyan freedom fighter Mahdi al-Harati, who was one of the leaders of the bloody revolt against Gaddafi.
    He has told cops that the cash was a gift from US secret agents to aid the war effort in Libya. Now the money trail has led to the traveller strongholds in Rathkeale, where €500 notes have been popping up all over the place.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

i didnt think any shop took any more than €100 euro notes. dont think i ever seen a €500 one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

story smells like bullsh1t to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

irishgeo wrote: »
    i didnt think any shop took any more than €100 euro notes. dont think i ever seen a €500 one.

If I worked in a shop and was handed one for a newspaper, I'd like to hear the customer say "keep the change".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Absurdum wrote: »
    story smells like bullsh1t to me

Read as far as Sundayworld.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

irish-stew wrote: »

Surprised they haven't given them all nicknames yet.

• Advertisement

irish-stew wrote: »

It'll be in the Daily Mail tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭earpiece

It's not real unless Joe Duffy says so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

ejmaztec wrote: »
    It'll be in the Daily Mail tomorrow.

I'll definatly be rushing out to buy it then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Crime never pays? Are you kidding? Don't know what planet you're on, but this is Ireland FFS!

I remember reading a few years ago about a student who was caught nicking a half pound of butter from a supermarket in Galway and was given a year in jail by the District Court judge, who pontificated a lot about "teaching criminals a lesson" and similar guff.

But look at all the tales about billion-euro bankruptcies, massive pensions for failed politicians and so on and so on and it must be clear that -

Crime never always pays. And it pays big - as long as you remember the most important rule - if you steal, steal big!

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    Crime never pays? Are you kidding? Don't know what planet you're on, but this is Ireland FFS!

I remember reading a few years ago about a student who was caught nicking a half pound of butter from a supermarket in Galway and was given a year in jail by the District Court judge, who pontificated a lot about "teaching criminals a lesson" and similar guff.

But look at all the tales about billion-euro bankruptcies, massive pensions for failed politicians and so on and so on and it must be clear that -

Crime never always pays. And it pays big - as long as you remember the most important rule - if you steal, steal big!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Ellis Dee wrote: »

White Collar crime isn't a crime in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

But the homeowner was well-known Irish Libyan freedom fighter Mahdi al-Harati, "

Ah yes. Hot-Press-Harati

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

I thought the 500Euro note is no longer in circulation.

44leto wrote: »
    I thought the 500Euro note is no longer in circulation.

I think there are only 400 in circulation at the moment.:pac:

i've had a couple of 500s before, though i put them straight into the bank who wanted to know where i'd got them from

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭flash1080

Fair play to the travellers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,112 ✭✭✭✭listermint

flash1080 wrote: »

Yes fair play to Travellers for breaking into peoples homes and stealing money. Well done on you :rolleyes:

You do realise they randomly broke into this house, probably broke into countless others on the estate that day.

What if this cash was for instance someones life savings. Is it fairplay to the travellers then......????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Dead right too... The question should be asked as to WTF are the Yanks doing giving that sort of money to people here, They should F O and look after their own country.

listermint wrote: »
    Yes fair play to Travellers for breaking into peoples homes and stealing money. Well done on you :rolleyes:

You do realise they randomly broke into this house, probably broke into countless others on the estate that day.

What if this cash was for instance someones life savings. Is it fairplay to the travellers then......????

Travellers are very cute, I reckon they knew what they were at.

charlemont wrote: »
    Dead right too... The question should be asked as to WTF are the Yanks doing giving that sort of money to people here, They should F O and look after their own country.

So your advocating travellers breaking and entering and generally just going around stealing peoples stuff.

Get real.

• Advertisement

Travellers are very cute, I reckon they knew what they were at.

Oh they are cute alright, but not in this case. It was part of string of burglaries in the area, and your effectively patting them on the back.

Id say you'd have a different attitude if your back door was off its hinges and any cash and jewellary in your home was 'liberated'..

Oh they are cute alright, but not in this case. It was part of string of burglaries in the area, and your effectively patting them on the back.

Id say you'd have a different attitude if your back door was off its hinges and any cash and jewellary in your home was 'liberated'..

Have a good look through my posts and you will see the travellers came off second best after they robbed my house.

Have a good look through my posts and you will see the travellers came off second best after they robbed my house.

So what happened in this case, your hatred for all things american has clouded your judgement ???

These lads went on a spree in a housing estate and got lucky when they broke into one of the houses..

Nothing fair play about it. Thieving little sh*tbags.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭flash1080

So what happened in this case, your hatred for all things american has clouded your judgement ???

These lads went on a spree in a housing estate and got lucky when they broke into one of the houses..

Come on now, credit where it's due, the travellers did well here.

Come on now, credit where it's due, the travellers did well here.

Im done trying to make anysense of your posts.

Have you forgotten all about the other homes they robbed from in this spree? Nah sure fair play lads super business there....

your posts are incredibly hilarious :pac:

How dare you pretend to actually know anything about me, I bet your just a bitter clown who would would piss yourself if a Traveller put it up to you..

So are you one of these America worshippers ? We seem to have a lot of muppet's like that in Ireland, If that money came from Iran or China eyebrows would be raised..

How dare you pretend to actually know anything about me, I bet your just a bitter clown who would would piss yourself if a Traveller put it up to you..

So are you one of these America worshippers ? We seem to have a lot of muppet's like that in Ireland, If that money came from Iran or China eyebrows would be raised..

Hold on, you slow right down. You seem to be conveniently forgetting that these lads broke into many other homes that day (ordinary peoples homes)

What are your thoughts on that?

Well?

Is it still fairplay??

Forget your jammering on the global politcal stage this is to do with local criminals who break in and steal from ordinary working people and you are praising them.

BTW I have no loving tendencies for anyone but myself that includes what ever crap your spouting about american worship or whatever.

And what has me pissing myself at the sight of a traveller got to do with it? Absolutely nothing. I was born and raised in Tallaght not that is any of your business and I can call a thieving little deviant when i see one. And this crowd in the article are just that. Probably the same gang robbing cars all over dublin too.

Now back to my questions. Answer them in full before you go off on a tirade about how much of a hard man you are.

Hold on, you slow right down. You seem to be conveniently forgetting that these lads broke into many other homes that day (ordinary peoples homes)

What are your thoughts on that?

Well?

Is it still fairplay??

Forget your jammering on the global politcal stage this is to do with local criminals who break in and steal from ordinary working people and you are praising them.

BTW I have no loving tendencies for anyone but myself that includes what ever crap your spouting about american worship or whatever.

And what has me pissing myself at the sight of a traveller got to do with it? Absolutely nothing. I was born and raised in Tallaght not that is any of your business and I can call a thieving little deviant when i see one. And this crowd in the article are just that. Probably the same gang robbing cars all over dublin too.

Now back to my questions. Answer them in full before you go off on a tirade about how much of a hard man you are.

These aren't the questions you asked in the first place when you decided to be a smart man, So my opinions are none of your business.
    And its you who decided I was anti American so its you who brought it up in the first place.
    I never said anything about being a hard man.
    Now why don't you make a little cup of tea for yourself, Sit down and give the blood pressure a well deserved rest.

These aren't the questions you asked in the first place when you decided to be a smart man, So my opinions are none of your business.
    And its you who decided I was anti American so its you who brought it up in the first place.
    I never said anything about being a hard man.
    Now why don't you make a little cup of tea for yourself, Sit down and give the blood pressure a well deserved rest.

I didnt ask any questions in the first place. What i did ask is why you were congratulating travellers for breaking into peoples homes, even though you yourself said that you had this happen and you 'ran them off' because your so hard and id piss my pants at the sight of one :rolleyes:

You talk some pony. And still havent answered my question. Any sane person can see that the travellers in this case were thieving scumbags and to praise them is well exactly that not very sane.

Im enjoying some lovely tea here btw. Laughing at the hypocrisy of your posts bringing a good oul smile to my face :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

C-C-C-Combo Breaker.

I didnt ask any questions in the first place. What i did ask is why you were congratulating travellers for breaking into peoples homes, even though you yourself said that you had this happen and you 'ran them off' because your so hard and id piss my pants at the sight of one :rolleyes:

You talk some pony. And still havent answered my question. Any sane person can see that the travellers in this case were thieving scumbags and to praise them is well exactly that not very sane.

Im enjoying some lovely tea here btw. Laughing at the hypocrisy of your posts bringing a good oul smile to my face :)

The only hypocrite on here is you, When did I say I ran them off, You know jack **** about what I did and to be honest I don't really care as you must be fair sad to keep ranting on about it. Nothing better to do have we ??

The only hypocrite on here is you, When did I say I ran them off, You know jack **** about what I did and to be honest I don't really care as you must be fair sad to keep ranting on about it. Nothing better to do have we ??

Hypocrite? I havent said anything hypocritical ? You understand the term right?

You stated they came off second best? I believe thats what you wrote?

Im just responding to your retorts just like youve done mine?

Shall we call this a day.

Hypocrite? I havent said anything hypocritical ? You understand the term right?

You stated they came off second best? I believe thats what you wrote?

Im just responding to your retorts just like youve done mine?

Shall we call this a day.

We can both agree on that..

BTW I was only being sarcastic I don't agree with peoples houses being robbed, Its just the Travellers struck gold with that house, considering the money is suspect anyway. Its a match made in heaven...

WW 3 averted again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

ejmaztec wrote: »
    If I worked in a shop and was handed one for a newspaper, I'd like to hear the customer say "keep the change".
    Legally you're not required to give them change anyway. :)

• Advertisement

Nevore wrote: »
    Legally you're not required to give them change anyway. :)

I wouldn't try that in Rathkeale, to name but one place:eek:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

Came across 200 notes loads of time i only seen 1 500 note my sister got it in a card at her wedding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

Surprised they haven't given them all nicknames yet.
    Pa

Advertisement