If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need new 2ch stereo speakers...

Options
  • 13-11-2011 1:50pm
    Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am in the process of shopping around for a new set of speakers for my separates system and can't decide what to go for. I am restricted to bookshelf due to space but want a decent enough set - I've a budget of about 500 or so. I was looking at the Kef Q300 and they seem to fit the bill in terms of power, size and budget and have good reviews online - I've read they need to be well matched so I'm keen to ensure they (or something else) will suit my amp which is a Marantz PM7200. I am currently using a very old set of Tannoy 631 which I'd really like to upgrade.

Any suggestions or recommendations? Kef iQ10 maybe or TANNOY REVOLUTION DC4? Kef Q300? :confused:

Cheers.

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Hi,

I am in the process of shopping around for a new set of speakers for my separates system and can't decide what to go for. I am restricted to bookshelf due to space but want a decent enough set - I've a budget of about 500 or so. I was looking at the Kef Q300 and they seem to fit the bill in terms of power, size and budget and have good reviews online - I've read they need to be well matched so I'm keen to ensure they (or something else) will suit my amp which is a Marantz PM7200. I am currently using a very old set of Tannoy 631 which I'd really like to upgrade.

Any suggestions or recommendations? Kef iQ10 maybe or TANNOY REVOLUTION DC4? Kef Q300? :confused:

Cheers.

Scuba,

What a nice problem to have - and the PM7200 is a really under-rated amplifier - the Tannoy and the IQ10's I think will sound a little too 'trebly' with your 7200 - to be honest your 731's are actually not a bad match in terms of tonal balance but your 7200 is capable of much more...

..The two I would look at are either the Kef Q300 or thye Monitor Audio RX1 - they are both excellent performers - They both come in under budget at £449 for the Kef and £399.95 for the RX1

http://www.whathifi.com/review/monitor-audio-silver-rx1

http://www.whathifi.com/review/kef-q300

..If push came to shove I would steer you towards the RX1 as a better partner for the 7200 - they are less neutral but have a warmer balance than the Q300 which have a slightly treble bias, if you can't fit floorstanders which would be a natural partner for your 7200 but only fit smaller bookshelves I would opt for a speaker that gives you a better bottom end as the 7200 will take care of the top end as it is naturally a shade bright.

Of course the other aspect is that the RX1 ar £50 cheaper - however, if you are determined to burn up your budget, don't worry, the RX1 are MUCH prettier than the Q300 in the 1st instance and for an additional £80 are available in Piano Lacquer white or Black which just looks STUNNING! and Monitor Audio are determined that the Piano Finish sounds better as it's hand finished and of course the cabinet is far more rigid than the standard finish - I just love the Piano White RX1 but I appreciate that they don't go with every room.

Whatever you do, make sure you get some decent speaker cable, you should keep the lenghts the same length and as short as possible!

Thanks again for the post and as ever, if we can assist in any way, just drop me a line and we'll do our very best to assist..

John Mc & Crew

PS - Both of these models are available from stock and I'll happily do free shipping on either.

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Hi John,

Thanks for the speedy and informative reply - I've missed not being able to walk into your store in Dublin but great to see the knowledge, info and prices are as a great as ever!

I've had a look at the RX1 and RX2 online and they look great alright, think they will be the answer to what I want.

I'll be in touch in a couple of weeks when I'm paid!

Cheers and thanks again.

Hi John,

Thanks for the speedy and informative reply - I've missed not being able to walk into your store in Dublin but great to see the knowledge, info and prices are as a great as ever!

I've had a look at the RX1 and RX2 online and they look great alright, think they will be the answer to what I want.

I'll be in touch in a couple of weeks when I'm paid!

Cheers and thanks again.

Ah Scuba...

...I may have to increase the price now I know who you are... :p

Keep me posted,

atvb,

John Mc

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 5 RichardAudio

Scuba,

What a nice problem to have - and the PM7200 is a really under-rated amplifier - the Tannoy and the IQ10's I think will sound a little too 'trebly' with your 7200 - to be honest your 731's are actually not a bad match in terms of tonal balance but your 7200 is capable of much more...

..The two I would look at are either the Kef Q300 or thye Monitor Audio RX1 - they are both excellent performers - They both come in under budget at £449 for the Kef and £399.95 for the RX1

http://www.whathifi.com/review/monitor-audio-silver-rx1

http://www.whathifi.com/review/kef-q300

..If push came to shove I would steer you towards the RX1 as a better partner for the 7200 - they are less neutral but have a warmer balance than the Q300 which have a slightly treble bias, if you can't fit floorstanders which would be a natural partner for your 7200 but only fit smaller bookshelves I would opt for a speaker that gives you a better bottom end as the 7200 will take care of the top end as it is naturally a shade bright.

Of course the other aspect is that the RX1 ar £50 cheaper - however, if you are determined to burn up your budget, don't worry, the RX1 are MUCH prettier than the Q300 in the 1st instance and for an additional £80 are available in Piano Lacquer white or Black which just looks STUNNING! and Monitor Audio are determined that the Piano Finish sounds better as it's hand finished and of course the cabinet is far more rigid than the standard finish - I just love the Piano White RX1 but I appreciate that they don't go with every room.

Whatever you do, make sure you get some decent speaker cable, you should keep the lenghts the same length and as short as possible!

Thanks again for the post and as ever, if we can assist in any way, just drop me a line and we'll do our very best to assist..

John Mc & Crew

PS - Both of these models are available from stock and I'll happily do free shipping on either.
    I think I am looking at a similar range of speakers and was wondering if you could give me some advice, as I haven't been able to find good tests of a range of speakers on stands (or perhaps you call these book shelve speakers?).

I have the following set:
    Avi Lab series integrated amplifier
    Quad 99 CD-P cd-speler.

Currently, I also have cost in refurbishments in my house and am therefore looking for a good set of bookshelf speakers (I will place them on stands) at a reasonable price. Some speakers getting good reviews are:
    Kef Q300, Boston Acoustics VS260, Tannoy Revolution Signature DC4/DC6

Which speakers (speakers above, or in price range) would combine well with my current set?

Many thanks in advance,

Richard

I think I am looking at a similar range of speakers and was wondering if you could give me some advice, as I haven't been able to find good tests of a range of speakers on stands (or perhaps you call these book shelve speakers?).

I have the following set:
    Avi Lab series integrated amplifier
    Quad 99 CD-P cd-speler.

Currently, I also have cost in refurbishments in my house and am therefore looking for a good set of bookshelf speakers (I will place them on stands) at a reasonable price. Some speakers getting good reviews are:
    Kef Q300, Boston Acoustics VS260, Tannoy Revolution Signature DC4/DC6

Which speakers (speakers above, or in price range) would combine well with my current set?

Many thanks in advance,

Richard

Richard,

thanks a million for the post - at last a proper Stereo Audio query - right up my street :D

OK - all the speakers you are looking at are pretty excellent to be fair and here are my comments and pricing:

Kef Q300 - Excellent - and neutral sounding speaker and will partner your kit no problem (maybe not the prettiest speaker in the AV universe though..) - £449.95/pair - delivery £12.95

Boston Acoustics VS260 - Great speakers but not one we stock - I can possibly get you a pair special ordered if you weere interested..

Tannoy Revolution Signature DC4 - A great sounding speaker, and also great looking - on a great deal as now reduced to £349.95 including delivery

Tannoy DC6 - we are now completely sold out of the DC6 - but we do have the DC6T floorstander at £599.95 if you were interested in the next model up?

The other model that I would still recommend most highly is the Monitor Audio Silver RX1 either in the real wood veneer or Piano Lacquer Gloss finish - these normally retail at £399.95 in real wood veneer and £499.95 in Lacquer finish but I can do a Boards special at £349.95 in real wood and £429.95 in Piono Black (both including shipping)- of all the choices I would have to recommend the RX1 as they both look and sound completely stunning (especially in the lacquer finishes)

rx1.large.jpg

have a look at the Silver RX brochure here

Thanks again for the post - most of the above are available from stock for shipping (please note we only ship monitor Audio within Ireland) just give us a shout if we can assist in any way or if you have any queries,

ATVB,

John Mc

• Advertisement

Many thanks John and my apologies for this late reply.
    I am living in Holland, so I have searched for Richer Sound shops in Holland (as I would like to listen to the speakers before deciding and overseas delivery would be dear/not possible). So far, I found that there must have been shops in Groningen, Utrecht and Amsterdam, but all of these seem to have disappeared. Could you tell me if there are still branches in Holland?

Best regards,

Richard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Dave

Many thanks John and my apologies for this late reply.
    I am living in Holland, so I have searched for Richer Sound shops in Holland (as I would like to listen to the speakers before deciding and overseas delivery would be dear/not possible). So far, I found that there must have been shops in Groningen, Utrecht and Amsterdam, but all of these seem to have disappeared. Could you tell me if there are still branches in Holland?

Best regards,

Richard

Hi Richard,

Thanks for getting back to us.

Unfortunately there isn't any Richer Sounds stores in Holland. There use to be 1 years ago but it isn't there anymore.

We've shipped to Holland before, and going by memory it wasn't too expensive. I'd need to confirm the price for this. :)

Completely understand about listening to the speakers before purchasing. Could book a trip to sunny Belfast? :p Would be worth it just to hear these beauties.

Monitor Audio have never disappointed. The sound and quality of their speakers is next to none. The RX1s will blow your mind, can promise you that. :)

Chris

• Registered Users Posts: 20 vizzle

Hi guys can I please ask for "Boards special" price for:

Monitor Audio BX2
    Monitor Audio RX2

Tannoy Mercury V4
    Monitor Audio BX5

I would like to upgrade my DIA 10.1, they are really good but high freq seems to be so thin. Need something that sound like my AKG k702 headphones.

KEF Q300 that I heard today not impress me for +400euro vs my DIA 10.1

If passible could you give price in Euro with shipping to Dublin Please.

Best regards,

Daniel

Dave,

Could you also give us your thoughts on the RX2 versus the RX1?

Best regards,

Richard

Same question of course for John, Chris, or anyone else on this forum.

Richard

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 17,277 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Hi RichardAudio.

The difference between the RX1 and RX2 is the RX2 has a larger bass driver and will give a lower tone of bass :)

Hi RichardAudio.

The difference between the RX1 and RX2 is the RX2 has a larger bass driver and will give a lower tone of bass :)

Monitor Audio BX2
    Monitor Audio RX2

Tannoy Mercury V4
    Monitor Audio BX5

I would like to upgrade my DIA 10.1, they are really good but high freq seems to be so thin. Need something that sound like my AKG k702 headphones.

Best regards,

Daniel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Dave

Hi Daniel.

Thanks for the post.

It is extremely difficult to reproduce the quality from a headphone from that of a loudspeaker as they are 2 completely different environments.

Currently our boards pricing would be as follows :

BX2 - £229.95 / €305
    RX2 - £419.95 - Non gloss finish - €559
    Tannoy V4 - £269.95 - €359
    BX5 - £399.95 - €452

If you were not happy with the Kef, then I would suggest looking at the RX1, RX2 or the BX5's as the BX2's or the Tannoy V4's are not going to be up to the same standard as the Kef speakers whereas the others are a good upgrade.

These prices would include delivery and we do offer a price beat so if you can get the same products delivered for less, then we will beat the price.

We can either charge you in sterling or Euro.

Let me know what you think.

ATB

Dave

vizzle wrote: »

Monitor Audio BX2
    Monitor Audio RX2

Tannoy Mercury V4
    Monitor Audio BX5

Best regards,

Daniel

Thank you very much for replay!

Can I please ask if you have any bargain price for "MARANTZ PM5004" in Belfast? Price without postage since I would like to pick it up during my saturday visit in your shop (as I mentioned in email).

Your sincerely
    Daniel

Hi Daniel.

Thanks for the post.

It is extremely difficult to reproduce the quality from a headphone from that of a loudspeaker as they are 2 completely different environments.

Currently our boards pricing would be as follows :

Dave

vizzle wrote: »
    Thank you very much for replay!

Can I please ask if you have any bargain price for "MARANTZ PM5004" in Belfast? Price without postage since I would like to pick it up during my saturday visit in your shop (as I mentioned in email).

Your sincerely
    Daniel

Daniel,

many thanks for the post - we are currently low on stock on the PM5004 - the current price is £149.95 - we are expecting fresh stocks in the next couple of weeks.

If you wanted to get a deal I can offer the Denon PMA710Ae which is a superior amp on the following deal:

BX2 - £359.95
    RX2 - £489.95
    Tannoy V4 - £469.95
    BX5 -£499.95

I hope some of those prices are tempting - keep us posted if you would like us to reserve any of these for you or if you would like us to quote you for a system price including a Marantz PM6004 :cool:

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

RX2+Denon PMA710Ae - £489.95

This sir is superb offer! Just take my money please ;)

I will get back with decision after saturday audition in your shop if it is ok?

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.