Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature student help

Options
  • 13-11-2011 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭

Hi all. I hope to go back to college in September 2012 as a mature student but I have a few questions I need help with.

1) I want to do this course http://www.itcarlow.ie/study-at-itc/science/computing-networking/cw208.htm because it is something I've always wanted to do. I didn't get the right amount of points at leaving cert and don't match some of their subject criteria. Will I be allowed to do it as a mature student?

2) I went straight from the leaving cert to full time work so will I be able to get any grants or anything? I've just cleared a loan so am now debt free but don't want to get a loan for college if I won't be working.

3) if I apply and don't get in for some reason is that it for me for college 2012? Do I put more than one course on the cao application? (this is the only course in this area with work placement). This is my dream course but if I don't get it do I need to look elsewhere for a way into this career?

4) This is a bachelor honours course. Will I be allowed to do it coming off the street or would they want me to do another course first?

Any help with this will be appreciated as I have never dealt with the Irish 3rd level system yet.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

neddynono wrote: »
    1) I want to do this course http://www.itcarlow.ie/study-at-itc/science/computing-networking/cw208.htm because it is something I've always wanted to do. I didn't get the right amount of points at leaving cert and don't match some of their subject criteria. Will I be allowed to do it as a mature student?

If you are over the age of 23 from the 1st of January the year the college course commences then yes you can do the course as a mature student

2) I went straight from the leaving cert to full time work so will I be able to get any grants or anything? I've just cleared a loan so am now debt free but don't want to get a loan for college if I won't be working.

You will be eligible for free fees and you can also apply for the Grant
    3) if I apply and don't get in for some reason is that it for me for college 2012? Do I put more than one course on the cao application? (this is the only course in this area with work placement). This is my dream course but if I don't get it do I need to look elsewhere for a way into this career?

You can stick multiple courses on your CAO. However you can only accept whichever course is in the relevant order if you are successful e.g if you put 3 courses down on the cao, if you are accepted for course number 2 and 3 but not number 1. You can only accept course number 2

If you don't get into the course you want you can always apply the year after again (if you don't mind waiting that long), if it comes to that try undertaking part time courses until then
    4) This is a bachelor honours course. Will I be allowed to do it coming off the street or would they want me to do another course first?

In a way yes, all mature students can apply but the university/college will have to do an Interview with you to assess if you're capable or have relevant interest in the course. All universities/colleges are not the same but generally if you are applying as a Mature student you should have relevant experience in areas of learning that cater to the course, for example with games development you may want to show that you have experience in Computer Programming, 3D Modelling etc

I'm not saying that you won't get into the course without having the above experience, but places can be limited in courses and they may accept someone else who might have a bit more experience or learning in the relevant areas beforehand, as to them it shows that they are capable of learning and interested in the course and handling the workload

I hope that helps, sorry if I may be unclear in some points but ask away again if you need any more help, others might post in with their 2c also :)

Best of luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭yerraya

4) This is a bachelor honours course. Will I be allowed to do it coming off the street or would they want me to do another course first

dont forget you can put down 10 courses also on the level 6/7 cao form and even if offered your first choice on level 6/7 it does not effect your level 8 choices. Remember lots of level 6/7 courses have options of add ons so that they progress to level 8 degrees.

As Michael has already said there can be a lot of competition for places so experience can be a major advantage. However I had no previous experience when I went for my level 8 course and I was successful. If you can demonstrate you have a genuine passion for the area in the interview and are willing to work hard you can overcome your lack of experience. To increase you're chances of being accepted you could do a short night course in the area you want to study, which would show that you were committed to the area. And as Michael said if at first you dont succeed.....! Best of luck anyway with it. :D

Advertisement