Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Tutorial] Using a Nand-X to flash your Coolrunner Board

• 13-11-2011 2:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭

You can flash your coolrunner glitch boards using a Nand-X that has been previously updated to the ARM code included with Nandpro v3.0. If you need a guide about how to do that (using a CK3 Pro/CK3i) then look here.

Once again, TX have a cable that hooks up to your expansion slot (the 50-pin wide slot on the Nand-X) and connects to the coolrunner JTAG port but I'm fed up waiting for UK suppliers to get stock so I made my own DIY solution that'll do until they get stock and I buy one :)

Firstly you should apply flux and some spare solder to the pins on the coolrunner.I didn't want to put excess solder on the actual connector end of the pin because in the future the JTAG cable mighn't fit if I need to update the coolrunner code :D So I applied the flux & spare solder down where the pins meet the board

coolrunner01.jpg

Next I hooked up six wires to the expansion port. This is some small soldering with the risk of melting a little plastic on the port but it seemed to be resistant enough to short bursts of contact so I didn't inhale any toxic fumes :P. You need to solder wires to Pins 1, 24, 25, 26, 28 and 49. All the odd numbered pins are at the back of the port, starting on the right with number one. All the even numbered pins are at the front starting on the right with number 2.

coolrunner02.jpg

coolrunner03.jpg

Now to join the wires from the Nand-X to the Coolrunner:

Nand-X | Connects To | Coolrunner
    1 | | GND
    24 | | TDO
    25 | | TCK
    26 | | TDI
    28 | | TMS
    49 | | 3.3V

coolrunner04.jpg

Flick the switch on your coolrunner board so it's set to PRG (Program) and then put the USB cable into the Nand X.

coolrunner05.jpg

Use Nandpro to write the XSVF file for the console that you're using the Coolrunner board with. The XSVF files are attached to this post.

coolrunner06.gif

And that's it. Go install the coolrunner board :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭stanleytli

I have some old xilink jtag programmer. Can I use it to program coolrunner?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Not via Nandpro anyway - the xsfv command is a subset of USB, and expects USB. You can use it with whatever tool you had for that programmer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭stanleytli

I known I can't do do it via usb and nandpro, but via Lpt and Xilinx iMPACT.
    I found this project http://www.natrium42.com/projects/jtag.php.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

When programming make sure that you are getting OutSize:0x27F0 as per picture, at least for Jasper. I was getting different values, I'm not sure why, and I couldn't get my Jasper to glitch.

Redownloaded files, resoldered got the 0x27F0 - 1second glitch!

Advertisement