Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

farmshed ideas

• 13-11-2011 2:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭

hi
    ive uploaded a simple type diagram of some of the farmyard, sorry its about the best I can manage :rolleyes:
    anyhoo basically you have a 3 bayslatted shed beside an older 3 column hayshed and leanto, the last column + leanto is cubicles right to left with a scraper running to slats.
    the middle column is full of straw and calving pen and calf creep, the last column and leanto is just used maybe for calving , at the moment there is a young bull housed in there, its kinda waste of a shed really so i wondered was there possibly a better use of the space. i could do with more space for cows and and maybe a creep. was thinking of possibly building a tank running along the front of hayshed right to left with a passage way. knock the existing front wall of the hayshed, that way the slats could leads back to creep calving area which would be that original hayshed column if that makes any sense. you have a pen crush area already in place to right of hayshed. would it be possible to roof this type of structure into the hayshed or is there just a better simpler way of doing this

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Hi OP any chance you could stick in a few labels on the jpeg?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

this make make it a bit easier

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭J DEERE

Hi Vanderbadger

What divides your shed into columns? Walls?

What length is the shed and what width is it?

What width is the yard with the crush?

We have a similar set up here at home, adapted it to accomodate 50 sucklers and calves

J DEERE wrote: »
    Hi Vanderbadger

What divides your shed into columns? Walls?

What length is the shed and what width is it?

What width is the yard with the crush?

We have a similar set up here at home, adapted it to accomodate 50 sucklers and calves

I couldnt say now off the top of my head, i would think standard hayshed and leanto dimensions though, it might even be 4 bay I was thinking this evening..the problem I have is that only 1 side of the slatted shed is connected to the older hayshed buildings so I can only keep cows at that one side, the other side of the slatted house is your basic 3 bays with no creep area attached or calving pens so it awkward to keep more cows there. I have plenty of area in the hayshed part for more calves or more cubicles so I just a bit more slatted area or a tank perhaps that i could run scraper to.
    not sure maybe it better to build a new shed than try and rejig old setup so i would be interested to hear about your setup.
    also to answer your question there is low enough block walls dividing into 3 sections. years ago when my dad milked there was a large open slurry pit where the slatted house is now, there were cubicles in 2 of the sections which could be scraped into the pit, the last section, the one i am thinking of changing was a milking parlour back then

I think I understand it so far. Is ur slatted shed built into the old building?
    From the drawing, I would run the tank across where you are proposing, bust out the walls of the lean to and the round roofed haybarn. I would knock out all dividing columns of the haybarn and take out all cubicles. You could then leave the haybarn as a three span open shed or put in cubicles except have them running down to ur proposed tank as opposed to the way they run now. U would put 22 cubicles in there. If you were to leave it a loose shed, you could probably fit 30 cows in it.
    I would then have the lean to as a creep area for calves with creep access from the existing and proposed slats.

Re the yard with crush, pen etc. I would roof that yard, creating another lean to approx 20 feet wide. Hang gates and have ur calving pens against the existing wall of the haybarn. You will have three calving pens there, enough for say 45 cows. You should run ur tank across the length of the shed and the yard. Run off from the calving pens would be collected in the slats then

It has the potential to be a very nice and handy set up for sucklers. I wouldnt dream of putting up a new set up without looking at re-jigging ur current set up. Ul do it for a fraction of the cost. We done ours for small money, similar job to this. Didnt even roof the slats

• Advertisement

Might make more sense maybe

ya yours is similar although it kinda runs in the opposite direction. I dont really want to interfere with the cubicles and scraper as they are fairly new, also the creep area is kinda as I want it now and I have a little crush in there for cows calving so dont want to break that up either which kinda leaves the last section and the area in front of it, I could put a tank in like yor own but its a very exposed spot, it would have to be roofed in I reckon

Advertisement