Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bruce Springsteen General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

If that is the track listing, I think it's unfortunate that a twelve-track album is being fleshed out with a cover, two remakes and a studio version of a long-available live track. Wrecking Ball's contents were stretched enough with a previously available track, a studio version of a long-available live track and - if you count the deluxe version bonus tracks - a remake. If history has taught us anything, it's that he's shelved material others would kill for.

Any word on whether these new songs are part of the same batch of orchestral, atypical, allegedly "Copland-esque" songs he was working on before he ditched them in favour of writing the Wrecking Ball material?

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭RickyBobby1

Album out January 14th I heard hopefully wrong would have being a handy Christmas present

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭eldest200

New tour next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

eldest200 wrote: »
    New tour next year?

Unlikely for Europe anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

If that is the track listing, I think it's unfortunate that a twelve-track album is being fleshed out with a cover, two remakes and a studio version of a long-available live track. Wrecking Ball's contents were stretched enough with a previously available track, a studio version of a long-available live track and - if you count the deluxe version bonus tracks - a remake. If history has taught us anything, it's that he's shelved material others would kill for.

Any word on whether these new songs are part of the same batch of orchestral, atypical, allegedly "Copland-esque" songs he was working on before he ditched them in favour of writing the Wrecking Ball material?

Agree with you. As much as I love his music and the band I cannot get too excited about this in terms of a 'new album'.

I particulary dislike the fact that a cover is the title and lead of a 'new album'. Would have preferred 12 Covers to be honest than a mix of both.

That said I do welcome a studio recording of 41shots

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

eldest200 wrote: »
    New tour next year?

As much as ld love to see him again soon, l hope not...cant afford to :/ can barely afford the new album!

Did anyone hear about the course on the theology of the man himself? in america of course....it was on the john murray show last week..heres a link to the podcast http://www.rte.ie/radio1/podcast/podcast_thejohnmurrayshow.xml would love to study that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,054 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Can anyone recommend some good Springsteen books?

eh i dunno wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend some good Springsteen books?

"bruce" by peter ames carlin, came out last year...springsteen himself helped him write it

http://www.ie.wowhd.com/books/peter-ames-carlin-bruce/dp/28071203#bc=49a6

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭gg2

"bruce" by peter ames carlin, came out last year...springsteen himself helped him write it

Pretty sure they have it in Dunnes for under a tenner

• Advertisement

gg2 wrote: »
    Pretty sure they have it in Dunnes for under a tenner

10er? jez thats a drop, was €18-€20 last year

10er? jez thats a drop, was €18-€20 last year

Well thats if we're talking about the same one and I'm pretty sure it is as the one I saw is called "Bruce" too... Pretty sure its the same pic.... I just spotted it a few weeks back and pointed it out to the OH for Christmas:o

Well thats if we're talking about the same one and I'm pretty sure it is as the one I saw is called "Bruce" too... Pretty sure its the same pic.... I just spotted it a few weeks back and pointed it out to the OH for Christmas:o

haha am hoping to point out the new album to one of my friends :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,054 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

thanks. Book depository have it for just under a tenner and free postage

• Registered Users Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Sorry that this is just a copy and paste job.
    Further information now on Bruce's site, with his liner notes also available.
    Two-thirds of the album is with Tom Morello.

High Hopes tracklisting:
    • 1. High Hopes (Tim Scott McConnell) – featuring Tom Morello
    • 2. Harry’s Place * – featuring Tom Morello
    • 3. American Skin (41 Shots) – featuring Tom Morello
    • 4. Just Like Fire Would (Chris J. Bailey) – featuring Tom Morello
    • 5. Down In The Hole *
    • 6. Heaven’s Wall ** – featuring Tom Morello
    • 7. Frankie Fell In Love
    • 8. This Is Your Sword
    • 9. Hunter Of Invisible Game * – featuring Tom Morello
    • 10. The Ghost of Tom Joad – duet with Tom Morello
    • 11. The Wall
    • 12. Dream Baby Dream (Martin Rev and Alan Vega) – featuring Tom Morello
    All songs written by Bruce Springsteen except as noted
    Album produced by Ron Aniello with Bruce Springsteen
    *Produced by Brendan O’Brien

PS, the cover is terrible.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

eh i dunno wrote: »
    thanks. Book depository have it for just under a tenner and free postage

Your local library has it for free;

http://borrowbooks.ie/

PS, the cover is terrible.

Bruce is the most fanciable man on earth IMHO but that album cover is making me cringe:(

Also story with this Tom Morello business??? When he says featuring does he just mean instrumentally or singing?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Bruce is the most fanciable man on earth IMHO but that album cover is making me cringe:(

Also story with this Tom Morello business??? When he says featuring does he just mean instrumentally or singing?

Well, he's a guitarist primarily, so I presume that's what he's doing on the tracks he's credited on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Raoul

blastman wrote: »
    Well, he's a guitarist primarily, so I presume that's what he's doing on the tracks he's credited on.

He also sings! Can't remember what alias he goes under though.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭random_guy

Raoul wrote: »

The Nightwatchman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭lc180

Sorry if this has been asked but.......

Is this new album an E Street Band collaboration?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

lc180 wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been asked but.......

Is this new album an E Street Band collaboration?

Yes and no, it's an album of out takes and covers. E street members appear on some of the songs.

Dr. Nick wrote: »
    Yes and no, it's an album of out takes and covers. E street members appear on some of the songs.

Everything about this album is leaving me cold..... But sure we won't judge it too quick!

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭8mv

Jake Clemons on Newstalk at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Raoul wrote: »

True, apparently one of the songs on the album is a duet with Springsteen, but he's playing on several other tracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭lc180

Isn't it usually about this time of year he announces Ireland & European gigs?

Just in time to bankrupt surprise everyone in time for Xmas. I'd love a Dublin gig next summer but not gonna get my hopes up.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭scottmcb04

Whoever was looking for the Rolling Stone special edition on bruce, they have re-issued it over here(canada), got my copy today!

Thought I'd post it here in case they do the same back home!

Just came across this... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYPCSeeCzqg&feature=youtu.be

Merry christmas bruce buds :)

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭clickhere

Just came across this... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYPCSeeCzqg&feature=youtu.be

Merry christmas bruce buds :)

Every time i see a new post ,i get all excited that some one has news of a new tour been announced.Thanks for the video.Merry Christmas to all our Bruce Boardies.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

Advertisement