Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bruce Springsteen General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 fieolsen

Hi all,

Looking for advice on this. I've never seen Bruce Springsteen live, but am certainly going to next summer. The question is where. I live and work in Limerick, so Dublin on a Tuesday night is a pain in the arse tbh. Still an option. My other option is to see him in Hyde Park for Hard Rock Calling and make a weekend of it in London.

Thoughts on this? Hard Rock Calling is a festival type thing, so he will probably get less stage time. On the other hand, if I knew he'd get similar stage time I'd go HRC no question.

Would really appreciate some input from those who have seen him a few times.

I'd go for the Dublin concert. I would choose a whole night of Bruce Springsteen over anything. Its a powerfull experience :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 38,402 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Im going to the show on the 17th July 2012 and am very new to his music.

I bought the Greatest hits (1995) but what other albums should i listen too that he could possbily play in the set.

Bon Jovi are also another band who play the RDS for almost all there concerts in Ireland. Irronacially there from the same city are Bruce Springsteen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Im going to the show on the 17th July 2012 and am very new to his music. I bought the Greatest hits (1995) but what other albums should i listen too that he could possbily play in the set.

Every show is a little different, and it'll be interesting to see how he amends the set now that Clarence is gone. There are no guarantees, but he'll definitely do at least four or five from the new album, which is due out some stage early next year.
    If you only have the Greatest Hits, you might want to familiarise yourself with some of the other albums.
    Based on the last few tours, he'll (probably) do a few from Darkness on the Edge of Town - Prove It All Night, The Promised Land and possibly the title track.
    He's more than likely to (still) do Lonesome Day, Waiting on a Sunny Day and The Rising from The Rising.
    Expect to hear a few "non-singles" from Born in the USA too (e.g., Darlington County, No Surrender), as well as rockin' stuff from The River like Sherry Darling, Out in the Street and Ramrod. Radio Nowhere from Magic will probably be retained too.
    I'm not putting spoilers on this, 'cos this is just me guessing. :rolleyes:

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I bought the Greatest hits (1995) but what other albums should i listen too that he could possbily play in the set.

Bon Jovi are also another band who play the RDS for almost all there concerts in Ireland. Irronacially there from the same city are Bruce Springsteen

If you have the 95 greatest hits you have all his famous songs up to then so get the rising. Great album and he'll definitely play a few tracks off that

The only way to cover every track he might play is to buy every album as he can and does pluck songs from everywhere which is one of the reasons why his gigs are so good. You just don't know what's coming next

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭madalig12

Agree with the above, his set changes every night and he always throws in some requests in the middle, if you look at the set lists from the last tour you can see that he keeps some songs and changes others as he goes from night to night. 'American Land' was always in his encores at the end of the last tour as it got the crowd going out on a high. Hopefully he sticks in 'No Surrender' this time!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

think they did punchestown last time they were here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

If you only ever listen to one album in your life again, make sure it's Darkness on the Edge of Town :)
    220px-BruceSpringsteenDarknessontheEdgeofTown.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭EyesClosed

think they did punchestown last time they were here.

it was the rds, and a great gig at that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

What about Youtube?

A person new to Bruce would learn a lot from watching various live performances.

I will post some links later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭BlueIsland

Looking to get tickets for Bruce for Sunderland. They on sale tomorow morning at 9. Can somebody tell me can you buy english tickets on ticketmaster.ie? Am I better off going on ticketmaster.co.uk? Are there any other ways. Im pretty desperate to get 2 for my girlfriend for xmas!
    thanks.
    oh and mods feel free to move this if I in wrong place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

In my opinion his best albums would be:

Tunnel of Love
    Darkness on the edge of town
    Born in the USA (although i don't like the title track)

Get those, they are all great.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭musicmania

I've seen Bon Jovi 5 times and only 2 of the gigs were at the RDS. Their show there this year is my favourite of theirs with Croke Park a close second. I've only ever seen the Boss in the RDS though so I wouldn't have minded a change of venue but hey it is the Boss so venue will be irrelevant!!!!

Regarding songs I am going to bring a sign for No Surrender in the hope he sings it for me. He did an acoustic set in a 3.5 hour show a couple of weeks ago and this song was included so I keeping my fingers crossed. It would be almost impossibe to second guess what he might sing as during the 2008 tour he sang over 100 different songs during the course of the tour. I have a list of all the songs sung somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 laser08

Bit of a concert novice. Is there good bar access in the pit or is it a case of once ya leave ya are out?

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭musicmania

Once you arrive early enough and get a pit pass (wristband) you can enter and leave it as often as you wish but bare in mind that normally for the Springsteen gigs the pit is very big (well in comparison to Slane it is big) so if you have a decent spot you won't want to risk someone taking it when you are gone to the bar!!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 kenny d

When I was in queue at Ticketmaster in Castlebar yesterday quite a few people rejoined the queue AFTER getting their tickets !

Were they touts ?

At least I managed to get a couple for herself and me.

Can see tout cnuts getting burned big time this time..........hopefully.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Really considering also headling to the Isle of Wight festival

http://www.isleofwightfestival.com/

Can we beat the RHCP thread before showtime?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Dr. Nick wrote: »
    Can we beat the RHCP thread before showtime?

Hopefully.

Looks like Hard Rock is a possibility. Is this the head or the heart ruling?

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Jezzabelle

Saw Brucie the last time he played the RDS - wasn't a fan as such apart from knowing and liking a few of his more well known songs. Decided spur of the moment to get tickets on the day and went along - my god what a gig. 3 hours and 15 minutes he played and nae'r a break - the man is a machine:D. Would recommend to anyone to see him once in their life if they can!

dixiefly wrote: »
    Hopefully.

Looks like Hard Rock is a possibility. Is this the head or the heart ruling?

Both.

Positives:
    Cheap compared to going to Milan, Madrid etc.
    It's a Festival
    Different Bands
    It's London
    Dublin is 3 days away

Negs:
    Not REALLY a Bruce show
    It's too BIGGGGG
    Not REALLY a Bruce show
    as above

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭interlocked

kenny d wrote: »
    When I was in queue at Ticketmaster in Castlebar yesterday quite a few people rejoined the queue AFTER getting their tickets !

Were they touts ?

At least I managed to get a couple for herself and me.

I think they" just may" have been the hardcore waiting for announcement of the second show, which took about 7-8 minutes :D:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

Dr. Nick wrote: »
    Both.

Positives:
    Cheap compared to going to Milan, Madrid etc.
    It's a Festival
    Different Bands
    It's London
    Dublin is 3 days away

Negs:
    Not REALLY a Bruce show
    It's too BIGGGGG
    Not REALLY a Bruce show
    as above

although there's different bands they tend not to match up well, I'd like to know sometime if bands are just picked completely at random for HRC

it's London, the Olympics this summer, have Hotels been priced by people ?

and he's not gonna get a normal Bruce set in.....

NIBBS wrote: »

Why not? He did 27 songs in 2009......full set.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

Got my tickets absolutely delighted. Going to be some gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Got my tickets for the 18th...can't wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 BaltimoreJack

NIBBS wrote: »
    although there's different bands they tend not to match up well, I'd like to know sometime if bands are just picked completely at random for HRC

it's London, the Olympics this summer, have Hotels been priced by people ?

4 of us heading over...got 2 twin rms in jurys inn in Croydon for £77 per rm.....croydon is 15 mins from gatwick and 17 mins from victoria...trains every 10mins. Victoria is very close to Hyde park. It will be differtent to the normal Bruce shows but hey, i'm not complaining!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭TripleAce

got my tickets for the 18th but I really would like to go on the 17th as well....will more tickets be sold later?

Advertisement