Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bruce Springsteen General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,819 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

That said, I'd much rather Bob Dylan did a heritage tour than his new stuff

I'm the opposite. Loved Dylans last few gigs here. And all new stuff really. Well, 21st century stuff.

Nothing like a band in full creative flow on the road. Bruce had it from the Rising up until this tour. Dropping exciting new songs. Even though Working on a Dream was total pants, he still believed it. Bowie had it when he played here in 2003 on the Reality tour. Good album. I wish McCartney would play more new stuff. His last album was a belter.

Basically, Bruce is just too good to waste a year on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,419 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

i wonder will he break the album sequence up in the euro legs ???

he will start with meet me in the city/ the ties that bind and stop after 'i wanna marry you' and play other songs and then go back and finish off the river album going into the encore after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Surely, over the next couple of weeks, it will be become apparent to almost everybody that he will be playing the whole album first, and then various hits - either through media or word of mouth. At that point, the gig-goer will think to themselves - I better listen to that album so. And persevere with it until it becomes familiar.

Just pointing out what I would do. I know not everyone will do this, but even if the majority do, it might lessen the flat atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Wooderson

I think trying to preempt what will or won't happen at these shows is moot at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

So no one got wind of the early bird code for tomorrow then?
    Will be hitting ticketmaster hard at 8.55am so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,996 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Anyone have any idea about the Sunday show and when it is likely to go on sale?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

adrian522 wrote: »
    I hope there aren't too many people going who feel they have to "sit through" a load of songs they don't like. Not sure why they would given the prices though.
    omicron wrote: »
    To be fair there is a big TV advertising campaign for this gig and it strongly emphasises that the river album will be played in full. This has been running for days now, and to be honest if you spend over 100 euro on a gig without even looking at the name of the tour you kind of have it coming.

Agree with both points here.

But I hark back to Neil Young & Crazy Horse at the RDS a few years ago, and at the Marquee 2 years ago. Both NY & Crazy Horse gigs, not Neil Young solo, and people complained that he didnt play enough solo material at both. (there were other issues at the RDS show tbf but...) It wasn't a solo gig - shouldn't be expected to play the hits.

Similarly, Dylan at the Marquee (I live in Cork so it's easy to get to these ones!!) played a lot from his most recent album (the name escapes me) on the promo tour for that album, as was to be expected. But streams of people afterwards complaining he didn't play the hits, etc.

Even as recently as a Sinead O'Connor gig in the Opera House in Cork last summer, no 'Nothing Compares 2 U' - she had made a big announcement just weeks before that it wasn't going to be played anymore - and there were complaints.

You're giving the concert going public an awful lot of credit if you think they do as much research as a lot of the people on here would.

This is a 'River' tour, but even people who know that might not anticipate the album to be played in full over the first half of the show.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

There was a note on the ticketmaster site earlier in the week saying that it would be a full double album set of the river and not a greatest hits set, but it seems to be gone now.

Assuming that notice is there when buying tickets there should be no complaints,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Surely, over the next couple of weeks, it will be become apparent to almost everybody that he will be playing the whole album first, and then various hits - either through media or word of mouth. At that point, the gig-goer will think to themselves - I better listen to that album so. And persevere with it until it becomes familiar.

Just pointing out what I would do. I know not everyone will do this, but even if the majority do, it might lessen the flat atmosphere.

The majority won't, most people don't go to gigs, they might do the odd big one every few years, people don't buy music or pay attention to popular culture as it changes.

They'll see an advert for Springsteen/Van de Man etc... and wander along assuming that they'll hear their favourite songs and get shocked when they discover that as their musical tastes stagnated from when they had time to listen (before family/work etc.. caught up), the world and the artist have moved on far beyond that and they'll not enjoy the gig. They'll have bought their ticket and assume that it's all they have to do.

This place might be a hive of ferbrile discussion, but you have to realise that it and probably any mates that you go gigging with (at the moment) are like little echo chambers of similar minds (but not necessarily tastes)

The majority won't, most people don't go to gigs, they might do the odd big one every few years, people don't buy music or pay attention to popular culture as it changes.

They'll see an advert for Springsteen/Van de Man etc... and wander along assuming that they'll hear their favourite songs and get shocked when they discover that as their musical tastes stagnated from when they had time to listen (before family/work etc.. caught up), the world and the artist have moved on far beyond that and they'll not enjoy the gig. They'll have bought their ticket and assume that it's all they have to do.

This place might be a hive of ferbrile discussion, but you have to realise that it and probably any mates that you go gigging with (at the moment) are like little echo chambers of similar minds (but not necessarily tastes)

I see where you are coming from but I disagree. I would say these people who see the adverts and decide to tip along to their once in a blue moon gig, would more be hoping to hear their favourite songs rather than assuming. Pretty much every music tour is generally formed upon recent album releases and they might then throw in some of the classics. Anybody who ever goes to a gig will understand that.

Obvious this particular gig is a bit different as there is no new album so the world may have moved but the artist has fallen back in time, so actually there is more of a chance these blue mooners might know a few of the numbers and probably will enjoy the gig.

I have brought my other half to loads of gigs that she really had no interest in going to. But she has never failed to enjoy herself, so it will be what you make of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭CiaranK

Breaking down the river set its paced quite well apart from some of the slower songs being back to back:

Songs 1 - 6: Meet Me in the city (as opener), Ties That Bind, Sherry Darling, Jackson Cage and Two Hearts. All fast upbeat songs
    Song 7: Independence Day calms things down for one song
    Song 8 - 10: Hungry Heart (massive hit), Out In The Street (big sing along), Crush on You again all faster songs
    Song 11 - 13: Marry you, The River, Point Blank. Slow sequence but with a big hit in there.
    Song 14 - 15: Cadillac Ranch, I'm a Rocker. Fast upbeat again
    Song 16 - 17: Fade Away, Stolen Car. Slow sequence again
    Song 18: Ramrod brings it back up
    Song 19 - 21: Price you pay, drive all night and wreck on the highway. A slow sequence to end the set

Next 13 or so songs are packed with the big hits.

I can't see many people being disappointed after the show, even looking at past setlists from irish shows there's always plenty of acoustic/slow songs and other songs that non die hards wouldn't be too familiar with

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

CiaranK wrote: »
    Breaking down the river set its paced quite well apart from some of the slower songs being back to back:

Songs 1 - 6: Meet Me in the city (as opener), Ties That Bind, Sherry Darling, Jackson Cage and Two Hearts. All fast upbeat songs
    Song 8 - 10: Hungry Heart (massive hit), Out In The Street (big sing along), Crush on You again all faster songs
    Song 11 - 13: Marry you, The River, Point Blank. Slow sequence but with a big hit in there.
    Song 19 - 21: Price you pay, drive all night and wreck on the highway. A slow sequence to end the set

I can't see many people being disappointed after the show, even looking at past setlists from irish shows there's always plenty of acoustic/slow songs and other songs that non die hards wouldn't be too familiar with

Only disappointment i will have is not getting tickets!
    It's the Boss doing a stadium gig i seriously can't see anything wrong with this.
    This will be gig 10 for me and that includes outdoor and "smaller" indoor north american venues.
    If i don't get Euro tickets this week i will try cheer myself up with tickets for both nights of this!

CiaranK wrote: »

Actually a really nice analysis. Reports from the US are that the band are in superb form. Stripped down, leaner sound with Bruce adding some really lovely touches to the River "piece".

Who takes heed of what "the man in the street" says anyway? The Crazy Horse show in the RDS was incredible yet slated. This might be the same. And? If you care enough, you'll be right in the mix up the front and loving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Will be brutally honest, I know the hits, and some of the less familar ones, with one of my favourite Springsteen songs being Racing In The Street, which I discovered during a night dedicated to him on BBC2 a good few years ago.

Knowing the gig is going to be The River in full plus a whole load other songs, I have been listening to it, the hits I know, but on a first listen, there are some other excellent songs on there, and absolutely, cant wait, looking forward to being there come May.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭interlocked

Listening at all the talk about casual fans not knowing a lot of the songs on the River, I did a bit of looking at the numbers, I was pretty surprised at the results, 11 of the songs were performed on the Wrecking Ball tour in 2012-13, three in the RDS in 2009 and the remaining 6 have never been played in Ireland.

Something there for everyone

1. The Ties That Bind Belfast 2013, RDS 2012
    2. Sherry Darling Cork 2013
    3. Jackson Cage Belfast 2013, RDS 2012
    4. Two Hearts (W/ It Takes Two ending) RDS 2012
    5. Independence Day NEVER PLAYED IN IRELAND
    6. Hungry Heart Limerick 2013
    7. Out in the Street Kilkenny 2013
    8. Crush On You NEVER PLAYED IN EUROPE
    9. You Can Look (But You Better Not Touch) RDS 2009
    10. I Wanna Marry You (W/ Here She Comes intro) NEVER PLAYED IN IRELAND
    11. The River Kilkenny 2013
    12. Point Blank NEVER PERFORMED IN IRELAND
    13. Cadillac Ranch Belfast 2013
    14. I'm A Rocker RDS 2012
    15. Fade Away Belfast 2013
    16. Stolen Car NEVER PERFORMED IN IRELAND
    17. Ramrod RDS 2009
    18. The Price You Pay Cork 2013
    19. Drive All Night Kilkenny 2013
    20. Wreck on the Highway NEVER PERFORMED IN IRELAND

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭interlocked

Theres a reason he's never played Crush and You and I Wanna Marry You. They're sh1t!

Independence Day though. Superb.

About 38 mins here

https://vimeo.com/147174188

Sorry. Actually meant to post a pic of Gerry Adams and Martin McGuinness.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

The Nal wrote: »
    Classic Boards.ie double post there so Ill edit this one and post a big pair of tits.

Some of us look at here from work, that's seriously uncool lad

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭Tsipras

The Hague 14th June has been announced,

Wish they just announced them all so I can decide on a plan!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Some of us look at here from work, that's seriously uncool lad

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I very nearly got caught by a work colleague :eek: :pac:

"Crush on You" is superb. Nal you utter philistine.

Wheres the tits now....... I missed them :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,054 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Time to start hitting f5

• Registered Users Posts: 38,419 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

eh i dunno wrote: »
    Time to start hitting f5

cant even get into the ticketmaster page. worrying times

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Pinkman

Can't even get onto the Springsteen page due to high demand.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Anybody else having trouble getting onto the page to select your tickets?

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭muirsheen

McGrath5 wrote: »
    Anybody else having trouble getting onto the page to select your tickets?

YES getting nowhere

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Eddie Ere

Yup

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭hollymartins

Me too, I went in a little early to check and it was already processing and experiencing high demand...it wasn't even 9 o'clock!

Advertisement