Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bruce Springsteen General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

leakyboots wrote: »
    I doubt the band (as in Bruce's one) gets paid that much. A guy I know plays with a multi-million seller singer songwriter's band, a fella who can charge as much as Bruce, and he gets not a lot more per gig than you would for a decent corporate event. Was shocked when I heard.

The artist takes the lion's share

That's a very interesting example.

I got into Ernest Tubb in recent years and was reading about his various band members, including guitarist Leon Rhodes.

In Ronnie Pugh's book about Ernest Tubb, titled The Texas Troubadour, (https://www.dukeupress.edu/ernest-tubb) it discusses on page 275, that when Leon Rhodes left Ernest Tubb's band in 1966, he made more money in the first three months since leaving the band, doing session work and other recordings and performances, than he did during the previous 12 months in Ernest Tubb's band.

It's on page 275 in the link below of pages from the book: (I couldn't figure out how to copy and paste the text from the preview of the book!:))

https://books.google.ca/books?id=m_cDTOIdVRcC&lpg=PA275&ots=quhTu_7ard&dq=ernest%20tubb%20leon%20rhodes%20session&pg=PA275#v=onepage&q=ernest%20tubb%20leon%20rhodes%20session&f=false

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Wooderson

An agreed system among themselves. So it is not in any way an official pit system by the concert promoter, in this case Aiken.
    If a fan who has never seen Bruce before and mainly knows the Greatest Hits album, arrives the morning of the concert and is first in line for the pit, what right do a group of fans have to get him to move to the back of the line because they have "a system" and are after being to 200 shows?
    If their pit system is not confirmed by Aiken, why should everyone go along with it?
    I go to Tesco every week but that doesn't mean I have the right to walk to the top of the queue and say to everyone "I started queuing last week after I was in here buying my Kimberly Biscuits and a Granny Smith, so I am in fact at the top of this queue now."
    That is not how a queue works.
    Instead of bringing "structure to the process" it represents a breakdown of the process.

Idiotic comment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭Tsipras

Another thing that put me off the Bruce experience is his obsessive fans who seem to think they are better than the casual fans just because they follow him on tour.
    Case in point, one time he played the RDS I went early that morning to queue for the pit. There were about 10 people there. About an hour later a large group of fans arrived and went straight to the top. They had numbers written on the back of their hands. A few of the people there advised them there was a queue and their response was that they had started to queue the night before. Bruce had played the night before in the RDS and immediately after it this group of fans congregated in the car park and handed out these numbers to each other and arranged to meet up for a "count" starting the next afternoon at 12. They went on to explain that they do this all the time and follow Bruce around the world as they are "Bruce's Army". Not one of these people were Irish by the way.
    When people complained to security about them they were told that the numbers had started to be given out the night before so all of us that arrived that morning must get a number from the foreign fans who arrived in the afternoon.
    This is not an official thing by the way, this is just his fans making up their own rules. And the security just go along with it as it makes their job easier.
    So if a guy queues for Bruce at 8am the morning of the concert and there is no one else about, he is standing there thinking he is the first in the queue. Then 4 hours later a group of fans arrive along and say " we started queuing last night" stand in front of him and write a number on his hand. Suddenly he is gone from number 1 to number 50.
    I've seen these same fans at Bruce gigs in England do the same thing. They make up their own rules to guarantee that they are up front.
    They are at their hotel asleep while the peasants are out doing the real queuing.
    (Also, it's a little disconcerting that they have obviously not washed since the night before )

A couple of points

- I've been to a good few Springsteen gigs and I've met some of the people you mention here, they're fairly hardcore alright I remember in Kilkenny I was down for the weekend and I was talking to a guy who couldn't believe I wasn't going to the Saturday night as well as the Sunday, He was gobsmacked! And you're right about the numbers it's a bit stupid. But each to their own, they obviously get a buzz from it, I don't go into pubs and give out to people drinking like crazy because it's a bit stupid, let people do what they want as long as their breaking any laws, in this case it's the promoter letting them so it's up to them really

- Any Springsteen concert I've gone to (apart from my 1st) I've been in the pit usually about 20-30 people back, I've never had a problem getting a wristband, usually I've queued up around 1pm for evening gigs (to my gf's mild annoyance last few times). As you say in your post you came early. got in the queue - I presume you got a wristband no bother?
    Then what's the problem?? What harm are the fans with numbers doing to you? I think everyone who wants a wristband and is willing to queue for a few hours for the privilege gets one

- Regarding the general discussion about the price - You're paying for (imho) the best performer in the world! ever! it's a fecking bargain. How much would Bowie fans pay now for a chance to see him at his best? Bruce ain't gonna be around forever we're lucky to have had so many chances to see him and I've never talked to anyone who regretted buying a ticket for one of his shows

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭krattapopov

I have to say lads, if I rocked up at 8am to the entrance of the RDS and no one else was there, then I'm first in the queue. That's how a queue works in the real world, in the absence of an official ticket number system.

I'd be well pi$$ed off if a crowd of people appeared a few hours later and tried to skip the queue that was already established that morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,821 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Tsipras wrote: »
    Then what's the problem?? What harm are the fans with numbers doing to you? I think everyone who wants a wristband and is willing to queue for a few hours for the privilege gets one

They write numbers on their hands the night before, go to bed, get up, go to the venue and then skip everyone whos arrived that morning and already queuing. Thats the problem.

As Shane said, whats to stop us doing that now? I'll just write #1 on my hand, take a pic of it with todays paper beside me and stroll up to the top of the queue on the day of the gig. "Sorry coming though, been number 1 since February"
    - Regarding the general discussion about the price - You're paying for (imho) the best performer in the world! ever! it's a fecking bargain. How much would Bowie fans pay now for a chance to see him at his best? Bruce ain't gonna be around forever we're lucky to have had so many chances to see him and I've never talked to anyone who regretted buying a ticket for one of his shows

A bargain at 131 quid to sit 80m away from the stage in a sports stadium. Right...........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,996 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I'm heading over to Croker now to start the Que for Sunday night's concert. Anyone want to join me? I'll give it an hour or so and then head back to work & normal life till about 4pm on the 29th May.

The only thing is though, we'll have to agree to not wash out hands for the next few months and use a permanent marker :D On the bright side, we can skip the que :rolleyes::eek:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Seve OB wrote: »
    I'm heading over to Croker now to start the Que for Sunday night's concert. Anyone want to join me? I'll give it an hour or so and then head back to work & normal life till about 4pm on the 29th May.

You'll be number 2. I've been already! The guy who takes the catering deliveries can vouch for me.

booster-club-foam-hands.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,996 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

The Nal wrote: »
    You'll be number 2. I've been already! The guyu who takes the catering deliveries can vouch for me.

booster-club-foam-hands.jpg

I don't mind being no. 2. After all, you were there 10 days before me :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭_Lola_

Madrid, Santiago Bernabeu - May 21st
    http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2016/02/16/bruce-springsteen-ends-stadium-controversy-in-spain.html

Also
    Barcelona - May 14th - Camp Nou
    San Sebastian - May 17th - Anoeta stadium

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

I can be in the Camp Nou 20 mins after leaving the house. Bring it on!

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭jay gatsby

adrian522 wrote: »

That is the most un rock n roll thing I've ever read

• Registered Users Posts: 9,802 ✭✭✭hynesie08

I really enjoyed security basically telling some of those lads to **** off at a couple of the 2013 gigs. There was a group of 15 or so who tried to walk into Belfast ahead of the queue when we were being let into the venue. One of the guards basically said if you didn't go in when we opened the gates you go to the back of the queue.

Proper order.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

adrian522 wrote: »

As far as I know the lottery system is only used for US shows and not Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,034 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Part of me thinks it's a superiority complex. I've never met any fans of any other band who are so willing to let people know how many Bruce gigs they've been to, how they're part of the dedicated contingent who get priority standing and how they're better than casual fans. I've mates who've seen bands loads and will attest to seeing them before but Bruce lunatics are the types who'll state with pride they've been to 37 shows.

Most of those type of fans are nice, nothing wrong about them personally but it's total music snobbery along the lines of "oh, I liked that band before they were famous". The only fact that it still exists is because there are so many of them to validate each other's actions.

If I joined a queue and was 20 or so people down the line and some group of entitled fans rocked up expecting to be up front tried to skip, I'd raise hell. And to be honest, I think the only people who can defend that practice, are those who do it themselves.

Nothing wrong with Bruce fans, I'm one myself, albeit casual enough. I'm just talking about the lunatic contingent.

As far as I know the lottery system is only used for US shows and not Europe.

There were ~1000 people in the queue in Kilkenny at 11am. The US lottery system can't work in Ireland. Besides, youd get twats like the denizens of this thread complaining.

There are only 2 or 3 bands that command a following to the extent that a queuing system is even necessary (Bruce/U2/Pearl Jam?). Lets just enjoy the process as is and not be an arse about it. It works.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭interlocked

Some serious chain jerking in the last few dozen posts........

The pit queue is recognised by BOTH Aiken and the Springsteen camp.

The fans run the line, first come first served,they take your name, put it on a list and give you a number, there is a roll call every three or four hours, if you're not at the roll call you're crossed off the list. There is always someone present in the interim, with the list to record newcomers, this is also the case overnight, the first roll call in the morning will be around 8am, the list will be constantly added to during morning, by about midday the queue remains in place in sequential order. It is then wrist banded and remains in order until the pit gate opens.

It is brought into the ground in numerical order by the venue staff SPECIFICALLY on the instructions of both Aiken and the Springsteen organisation.

Aiken sent staff down the day before to each of the 2013 and 2014 concerts to ensure that everything ran smoothly. The line in the RDS in 2013 must have been nearly 2000 long by the time the gates open

Springsteen's liaison man in Ireland and the rest of Europe instructed each venue about the process and that the line is to be respected, by their staff.

The notion that you can just rock up on the morning of a concert and ignore the existing queue is just fantasy, but by all means try it and see where it gets you.

You can argue the merits/demerits of the system until you're blue in the face but that's the way it is.

So I am #1 then!

Springsteen fanatics in the house!!

Look it's simple, defend the system all you want, but if I'm queueing for 4+ hours(llike I've done for for every Springsteen gig I've been to) and some gob****e tries to get by me in the line cause they've a number on their hand, I'm telling them to **** off.

The Nal wrote: »
    So I am #1 then!
    Seve ob is #2, I'm #3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,854 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

_Lola_ wrote: »
    Madrid, Santiago Bernabeu - May 21st
    http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2016/02/16/bruce-springsteen-ends-stadium-controversy-in-spain.html

Also
    Barcelona - May 14th - Camp Nou
    San Sebastian - May 17th - Anoeta stadium

Great that he is playing these great venues ,unfortunately the setlist is very weak .
    He simply has to stop playing The River in its entirety,he simply has to ,its not suitable for a stadium gig.
    A bargain at 131 quid to sit 80m away from the stage in a sports stadium. Right...........

80m ?
    Alot of the seats in the Davin stand are over 160m from the stage ,to be honest you'd need binoculars at that distance .

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Shaneosexual

Wooderson wrote: »
    Idiotic comment.

I think it's a valid comment.
    So you'd be fine with someone skipping the line in any other queue in the real world? I'm not talking about the fantasy land queuing system of the Bruce Army.

Some serious chain jerking in the last few dozen posts........

The pit queue is recognised by BOTH Aiken and the Springsteen camp.

The fans run the line, first come first served,they take your name, put it on a list and give you a number, there is a roll call every three or four hours, if you're not at the roll call you're crossed off the list. There is always someone present in the interim, with the list to record newcomers, this is also the case overnight, the first roll call in the morning will be around 8am, the list will be constantly added to during morning, by about midday the queue remains in place in sequential order. It is then wrist banded and remains in order until the pit gate opens.

It is brought into the ground in numerical order by the venue staff SPECIFICALLY on the instructions of both Aiken and the Springsteen organisation.

Aiken sent staff down the day before to each of the 2013 and 2014 concerts to ensure that everything ran smoothly. The line in the RDS in 2013 must have been nearly 2000 long by the time the gates open

Springsteen's liaison man in Ireland and the rest of Europe instructed each venue about the process and that the line is to be respected, by their staff.

The notion that you can just rock up on the morning of a concert and ignore the existing queue is just fantasy, but by all means try it and see where it gets you.

You can argue the merits/demerits of the system until you're blue in the face but that's the way it is.

This is nonsense. I recall Bruce gigs where the promoter made specific announcements in the days before the gig that there was no queuing until 5 hours before the show but yet these fans went by their own rules.

A couple of points

- I've been to a good few Springsteen gigs and I've met some of the people you mention here, they're fairly hardcore alright I remember in Kilkenny I was down for the weekend and I was talking to a guy who couldn't believe I wasn't going to the Saturday night as well as the Sunday, He was gobsmacked! And you're right about the numbers it's a bit stupid. But each to their own, they obviously get a buzz from it, I don't go into pubs and give out to people drinking like crazy because it's a bit stupid, let people do what they want as long as their breaking any laws, in this case it's the promoter letting them so it's up to them really

- Any Springsteen concert I've gone to (apart from my 1st) I've been in the pit usually about 20-30 people back, I've never had a problem getting a wristband, usually I've queued up around 1pm for evening gigs (to my gf's mild annoyance last few times). As you say in your post you came early. got in the queue - I presume you got a wristband no bother?

The problem is that once you leave a queue and other people join the queue, you can't come back a few hours later and claim to be at the top of the queue. It wouldn't work like that when you queue to buy the concert tickets, so why should it work like that at the gig itself?

I think it's a valid comment.
    So you'd be fine with someone skipping the line in any other queue in the real world? I'm not talking about the fantasy land queuing system of the Bruce Army.

This isn't 'Nam, Smokey. There are rules.

Wooderson wrote: »
    This isn't 'Nam, Smokey. There are rules.

Yes, indeed there a rules. Thanks for understanding that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,854 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Queuing is for mugs .
    Do yourself a favour and save your energy for the gig .

I recall wandering into Pairc Ui Chaoimh around 4.30 in the day,getting a pit pass and making my way up near the front.
    I managed to get in the 2nd row .
    The women beside me had been queuing all night ,they had camped out to get on the rail.
    They looked exhausted from the ordeal,the poor things .

There's absolutely no need to queue up for most acts ,just show up a few hours beforehand and you will get a great view.

Queuing is for mugs .
    Do yourself a favour and save your energy for the gig .

I recall wandering into Pairc Ui Chaoimh around 4.30 in the day,getting a pit pass and making my way up near the front.
    I managed to get in the 2nd row .
    The women beside me had been queuing all night ,they had camped out to get on the rail.
    They looked exhausted from the ordeal,the poor things .

There's absolutely no need to queue up for most acts ,just show up a few hours beforehand and you will get a great view.

Come back on here on the 28th May with your feedback on the above plan post Croker night #1. Look forward to hearing how successful you were.

In Belfast the latest anyone got a pit pass was by turning up at ~3.15pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 dinosaurtommyjr

A girl that works for Aiken has told me that the Croke park gigs r going to b different than the past Irish Bruce concerts, there's going to b no numbering system for these gigs , it's first come first serve,and theres no queueing until 2 hours b4 gates opens, the foreign guys not going to have it there own way this time. Altough I'd rather the number system with roll call, was up near the front for his last Irish gigs, but I still prob go day b4 just in case things r different to c what story is.

• Advertisement

A girl that works for Aiken has told me that the Croke park gigs r going to b different than the past Irish Bruce concerts, there's going to b no numbering system for these gigs , it's first come first serve,and theres no queueing until 2 hours b4 gates opens, the foreign guys not going to have it there own way this time. Altough I'd rather the number system with roll call, was up near the front for his last Irish gigs, but I still prob go day b4 just in case things r different to c what story is.
    They will still try to go by their fantasy rules though. They always do.

Advertisement