Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bruce Springsteen General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

Jake Clemons with 'support' - classy move that.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭gilmour

A return to the Tunnel of Love Express tour brass section set up by the looks of it, and thats a very very good thing indeed - cant wait for the summer its going to be amazing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Jake Clemons - Saxophone
    Barry Danielian - Trumpet
    Clark Gayton - Trombone
    Eddie Manion - saxophone
    Curt Ramm - Trumpet

With the exception of Clarence's nephew Jake, in for Stan Harrison, this is the same line-up that backed Bruce and the '78-era E Street Band.

Going to see him in Barcelona in May. Can't wait! :D

Heres the new vid

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭dee.

My mom really wants to go to this and I know someone selling tickets cheap so I'm looking for advice - has anyone ever seen kids (under 10) at a Bruce Springsteen gig? My sister would probably have to go with her if she does get the tickets. Never been to a Springsteen concert so I'm not sure if it's suitable for kids (well, the crowd/atmosphere not the music)

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭musicmania

dee. wrote: »
    My mom really wants to go to this and I know someone selling tickets cheap so I'm looking for advice - has anyone ever seen kids (under 10) at a Bruce Springsteen gig? My sister would probably have to go with her if she does get the tickets. Never been to a Springsteen concert so I'm not sure if it's suitable for kids (well, the crowd/atmosphere not the music)

I'd suggest if she goes she gets seated tickets so the child won't have a restricted view. The atmosphere at Springsteen gigs does be electric with people dancing and jumping up and down so seats would be the best bet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,893 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I've seen loads of kids at the two gigs I've been to. And if you have a child with ya right up the front, the chance of Bruce taking a look at ya multiply!
    If you get seated tickets, then you're onto a winner with a child really. The type of people he attracts generally don't tend to cause a lot of hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

Kids in the pit was the required accessory on the past two tours.....I found it annoying and embarrassing as parents used their kids for their own purposes. But Bruce encouraged it. Check Waitin on a sunny day on youtube and you'll see plenty of kids singing into his microphone from the pit.....including Dublin.

Thanks for the replies regarding kids everyone. I suppose we just need to pick whether to stand or get seats now. I've been looking on YouTube at his concerts in the RDS and im wondering if the standing part would even be safe with a little one? There's a lot of people but it's hard to tell how much space there is. Last thing we want is her getting injured. At the same time, I think if my mum was to sit down she wouldn't enjoy the concert as much, sitting down at gigs is never as fun to me anyways! But if it's the best option I'll try find her seated tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭loverslane

Dee I guess it all depends on whether you want to be up close and personal or just in the general standing area. TBH I don't think either is suitable for a child that young but I have seen children even smaller than that up front, a place where most of them clearly didn't want to be. It is very loud up front too. If in general standing area child would need to be lifted to see.

I have a 10 year old myself and would not take her standing with me. It is a long time for a child to stand, factor in that we've had rain last few times. Unless the child is a Bruce fan I would leave at home and have someone look after and let your mum and sister go and enjoy themselves.

Thats only my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

I'm sure a lot of the kids up front in the pit are VIP's children being carted in 'cause mommy/daddy happens to be famous in paddyland. I remember specifically The Rising tour at the RDS way back in '03 when I've being cueing since 10am only to get strong armed by the security folk in order to make way for them. "Pissed off" would be an euphemism.

[/rant]

Anyway, I would love to take my kids as well, but during my last few shows I've always had a few drunk idiots right up in my face - not the kind of environment I want to put my kids in. Seeing Bruce and the band live is just such an awesome experience I honestly wish I can one day take them. This year I've seated tickets (for the first time) so I'll see how that turns out. Might take the kids next time so being seated - hope I'll be able to afford it with ticket prices going the way they are.

• Advertisement

Hey guys thanks for the advice. I think you're right - the little one would get fed up standing for that long. Actually, possibly just fed up regardless of standing/seated. I took her to a Glee concert last year and she couldn't wait to leave even though we had good seats. She hates staying with babysitters but we have a few months to get her used to it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Hey guys thanks for the advice. I think you're right - the little one would get fed up standing for that long. Actually, possibly just fed up regardless of standing/seated. I took her to a Glee concert last year and she couldn't wait to leave even though we had good seats. She hates staying with babysitters but we have a few months to get her used to it! :)

Yeah maybe don't give her the option of anything but staying with babysitters. Just tell her her its an adults only gig.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Wish I was going :(

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

421737_10150833777378084_192279203083_12300396_1728656631_n.jpg

Jimmy Fallon (Neil Young) and Springsteen cover Sexy and I Know It by LMFAO.

http://www.sonicnation.ca/2012/03/07/jimmy-fallon-as-neil-young-and-bruce-sprinsteen-cover-sexy-and-i-know-it/

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭theblueirish

For those going to Hyde Park (like me), John Fogerty announced as support for the boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,402 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

For those going to Hyde Park (like me), John Fogerty announced as support for the boss.

WHO ???. Wonder will he play Dublin as well

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

PTH2009 wrote: »

Doubt it , the only reason he has support in Hyde park is because its a festival layout

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭CiaranK

I'd LOVE to see Fogerty. Bruce won't have a support here but Fogerty on his own around that time would be cool :)

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭theblueirish

Dates for Europe, Ireland not on the list (Yet)

http://www.johnfogerty.com/tour.aspx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,893 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

PTH2009 wrote: »

He was in Creedence Clearwater Revival

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 homerdog

There is quite a bit of unrest among Fogerty fans in Ireland and the UK because the only Fogerty gig on these islands (so far) in 2012 is a sold out Springsteen concert in Hyde Park.

He hasn't played in these parts since the 'Comin' Down the Road' concert at the Royal Albert Hall in 2008, a gig that was pretty controversial at the time due to the fact it was filmed for a live DVD of the same name and there were a lot of 'continuity' issues.

That being said, its a stellar bill with the Boss and Fogerty on it. They are good friends and have shared quite a few stages over the years.

Fogerty has a really good band including Kenny Aronoff on drums, ex Billy Joel bassist, David Santos, Bob Malone on keys and Ben Mauro, ex Lionel Richie. Its a really good live show, with lots of CCR, some solo stuff and the ORIGINAL version of his song Rocking All Over The World.

Enjoy it

Dates for Europe, Ireland not on the list (Yet)

http://www.johnfogerty.com/tour.aspx

Theres no European dates there?

He tours Europe every two years and never comes here. Don't hold your breath.

The Nal wrote: »
    Theres no European dates there?

He tours Europe every two years and never comes here. Don't hold your breath.

The tour dates were loaded onto the Fogerty website last night, and provoked a lot of discussion on the Fogerty Forum, not all of it complimentary, I might add.

Now they've been deleted for the site. They were probably put up before the final contracts have been signed. Not the first time this has happened.

John Fogerty has Irish roots, going back a few generations, and his only visit here was on the Tina Turner Tour at the RDS in 2000

homerdog wrote: »
    The tour dates were loaded onto the Fogerty website last night, and provoked a lot of discussion on the Fogerty Forum, not all of it complimentary, I might add.

Now they've been deleted for the site. They were probably put up before the final contracts have been signed. Not the first time this has happened.

John Fogerty has Irish roots, going back a few generations, and his only visit here was on the Tina Turner Tour at the RDS in 2000

Hope he plays. A Vicar St gig would be beautiful. Saw him in Glastonbury a few years back and he was great. Total greatest hits show!

Hope he plays. A Vicar St gig would be beautiful. Saw him in Glastonbury a few years back and he was great. Total greatest hits show!

Well, Vicar St is free on 16th and 17th July, but as Fogerty has a bit of a reputation for only playing for top dollar, its probably uneconomic, given the capacity.

Well, Vicar St is free on 16th and 17th July, but as Fogerty has a bit of a reputation for only playing for top dollar, its probably uneconomic, given the capacity.

Is "John Fogerty" a big enough name for the O2 though?

Is "John Fogerty" a big enough name for the O2 though?

With the right marketing and publicity yes.

While John Fogerty might not have as high a profile here as say Dylan. Young or Springsteen, his music speaks for itself and if anything, has much more mass appeal than many of those guys.

Plus he does a two hour show and is probably one of the most underrated guitarists in the world. Remember the solos on 'Grapevine' at Glastonbury 2007, they were stunning.

But in the current climate, its highly unlikely any promoter will take the chance, which is understandable but frustrating.

I find it extremely maddening that a miming boy band could sell out the O2 twice over and real music like Fogerty's doesn't get a look in

With the right marketing and publicity yes.

While John Fogerty might not have as high a profile here as say Dylan. Young or Springsteen, his music speaks for itself and if anything, has much more mass appeal than many of those guys.

Plus he does a two hour show and is probably one of the most underrated guitarists in the world. Remember the solos on 'Grapevine' at Glastonbury 2007, they were stunning.

But in the current climate, its highly unlikely any promoter will take the chance, which is understandable but frustrating.

I find it extremely maddening that a miming boy band could sell out the O2 twice over and real music like Fogerty's doesn't get a look in

"Creedence Clearwater Revival" could play the O2. Just not sure "John Fogerty" is as well known here.

• Advertisement

"Creedence Clearwater Revival" could play the O2. Just not sure "John Fogerty" is as well known here.

There were STRONG rumours a few months back that the reunion was going to happen, but anyone who is familiar with the history between the three surviving members (Fogerty, Stu Cook and Doug Clifford) knew that there was still too much bad blood (think of the Eagles and multiply by 100). Johns brother. Tom sided with Stu and Doug and the brothers were estranged when Tom died.

Its a shame, but I've seen the Cook/Clifford version (Creedence Clearwater Revisited) a few times, and they are very good. Fogerty, in reality though, WAS Creedence, so heavy emphasis on that fact would help ticket sales.

Advertisement