Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bruce Springsteen General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Shaneosexual

Wooderson wrote: »
    That's not the system in a supermarket. At a European Springsteen show, until told otherwise, that's the process. At a US show there's a lottery. You'd look like a right berk trying to get to the front of the lottery winner at MSG or Philly "Shaneosexual".

The process for many Bruce shows I've been to has been no queuing until X o'clock. The number gang are not an official queuing system. They just arrive and assume position at the top because they were in the car park the night before and wrote numbers on their hands. That is all. I've seen security tell them off, other times the security go along with it cause it makes their life easier.
    A queue in this case has to be a psychical thing, you have to be there and not leave in order to keep your place.
    I have also seen the number gang leave a show early in order to give out their numbers in the car park for the following night's gig. Pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

ts_editor wrote: »
    This.
    You're not in the queue unless you're physically in the queue. If you leave the queue to eat/sleep/urinate: back of the line.

Also, the amount of rubbish these pro-queuers leave behind is a disgrace. In Belfast they filled two of those industrial wheelie bins with camping gear and the droppings of The Number Club.

Number 1s or Number 2's?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Wooderson

The process for many Bruce shows I've been to has been no queuing until X o'clock. The number gang are not an official queuing system. They just arrive and assume position at the top because they were in the car park the night before and wrote numbers on their hands. That is all. I've seen security tell them off, other times the security go along with it cause it makes their life easier.
    A queue in this case has to be a psychical thing, you have to be there and not leave in order to keep your place.
    I have also seen the number gang leave a show early in order to give out their numbers in the car park for the following night's gig. Pathetic.

The queue process is sanctioned/supported by Bruce. It doesn't happen otherwise. Why/when people leave is their business.

Is the queue system open to potential exploitation? Yes. Are the people that waste 3/4 days tagging back and forth to a queue mad? Yes. Would I do it? No.

The queue process is sanctioned/supported by Bruce. It doesn't happen otherwise. Why/when people leave is their business.

Is the queue system open to potential exploitation? Yes. Are the people that waste 3/4 days tagging back and forth to a queue mad? Yes. Would I do it? No.

It doesn't matter if it's supported by Bruce. It's the venue and promoters rules that matter.
    If Bruce has the power to overrule the promoters then why is it always the promoter's fault when Bruce charges 100 quid for a ticket?

It doesn't matter if it's supported by Bruce. It's the venue and promoters rules that matter.
    If Bruce has the power to overrule the promoters then why is it always the promoter's fault when Bruce charges 100 quid for a ticket?

Overruling promoters? Bruce's security guy Graham Quinn ran the queue I was in outside Thomand.

• Advertisement

Overruling promoters? Bruce's security guy Graham Quinn ran the queue I was in outside Thomand.

So if Bruce can dictate to the promoter/stadium how he wants everything to be run, such as queuing, for the benefit of his fans then surely he can say "ok I think these ticket prices are too high for my fans."
    His fans use the cop out excuse of "oh the promoters are charging this price. Bruce doesn't have anything to do with the ticket prices"

• Registered Users Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Reading the last couple of pages and i still can't get my head around this. People turn up at the venue the night before, write numbers on their hands, then go home and the next day they turn up and feel they're entitled to skip the actual queue?? :confused: Such strange behaviour.

I mean, if myself and mates decided to queue up outside Croker early on for pit passes and people attempted to go ahead of us with numbers on their hands....well that just wouldn't be happening. The thought of it is actually absurd.

monkey9 wrote: »
    Reading the last couple of pages and i still can't get my head around this. People turn up at the venue the night before, write numbers on their hands, then go home and the next day they turn up and feel they're entitled to skip the actual queue?? :confused: Such strange behaviour.

I mean, if myself and mates decided to queue up outside Croker early on for pit passes and people attempted to go ahead of us with numbers on their hands....well that just wouldn't be happening. The thought of it is actually absurd.

It actually happens. People who have been to many Bruce gigs know what to expect and sadly just go with it at this stage.
    When the casuals show up and are first in line and go on to kick up a fuss when the number gang arrive, they are told by the gang that this is the process and that this is the way it always is for Bruce concerts. Some of the casuals have a "if you can't beat them, join them" attitude and get the all important number. Others bring it to the security's attention, but you will get varying responses from them, depending on the venue/city/work ethic of the security guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Strange probably, but if that's the way it's been before, and it's like an unwritten rule, then so be it.
    I would love to be up front at a heavy metal gig and not have to put up with moshers, but moshing up front is part and parcel of a metal gig, so whaddya gonna do!

The list is constantly "manned" apart from the early hours and the roll calls are 3-4 hours apart.

• Advertisement

So if Bruce can dictate to the promoter/stadium how he wants everything to be run, such as queuing, for the benefit of his fans then surely he can say "ok I think these ticket prices are too high for my fans."
    His fans use the cop out excuse of "oh the promoters are charging this price. Bruce doesn't have anything to do with the ticket prices"

I can only speak for myself on this one and I would agree that his bond is v high.

The list is constantly "manned" apart from the early hours and the roll calls are 3-4 hours apart.

So what about the guys on here who have started their own roll call outside Crocker right now?
    they got their numbers, next roll call is 4pm May 27.
    What right to the Number Gang have to tell these guys to move to the back of the line? They are doing the exact same thing as they are, except months earlier.
    I know that there is nobody actually giving numbers outside Croker right now, but if they did, they would have the same right to get to top of the queue as the Number Gang.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

Yes, I've seen the same Spanish people up front at many gigs. They run the whole numbers, non-queue system.
    In fact, the girl who writes the numbers on everybody's hand is always up front and centre at the rail for the gig. I have seen a group of them stretch themselves across the rail in order for her to walk through the crowd and take her place at the very front at the rail. Like she is their leader or something. It's like a weird cult.

Yeah they think they are personal friends of him or something .... funny if it were film stars it be stalking ... anyway, what you mean by numbers, non-queue system ?

Yeah they think they are personal friends of him or something .... funny if it were film stars it be stalking ... anyway, what you mean by numbers, non-queue system ?

It's a fairly sizeable group of fans who follow Bruce around to every show and the night before the gig they meet near the venue of the gig and assign numbers to each other by writing the numbers on the back of their hand with a marker. They arrange to come back the next day at a certain time and then head off to their respective accommodation.
    By the time they come back the next day there may already be a queue in progress but they will walk straight to the top as they had "started queuing last night."

Anyone who defends this practice is part of the problem.
    It is NOT official and Aiken themselves usually state no queuing until a certain time the day of the concert.

So what about the guys on here who have started their own roll call outside Crocker right now?
    they got their numbers, next roll call is 4pm May 27.
    What right to the Number Gang have to tell these guys to move to the back of the line? They are doing the exact same thing as they are, except months earlier.
    I know that there is nobody actually giving numbers outside Croker right now, but if they did, they would have the same right to get to top of the queue as the Number Gang.

The people that show up first don't just toddle back down with a couple hours to go. They're passionately invested in the process.

The people that show up first don't just toddle back down with a couple hours to go. They're passionately invested in the process.

A queue is a queue. You cannot make your own queue for something , leave the area, return hours later and expect the people who are now there to move.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,802 ✭✭✭hynesie08

So yeah, the NAL is #1, seve ob is#2 and I'm #3, if they/we don't say "here" by Sunday, they lose their spot in the queue. That's how it works right?

It's a fairly sizeable group of fans who follow Bruce around to every show and the night before the gig they meet near the venue of the gig and assign numbers to each other by writing the numbers on the back of their hand with a marker. They arrange to come back the next day at a certain time and then head off to their respective accommodation.
    By the time they come back the next day there may already be a queue in progress but they will walk straight to the top as they had "started queuing last night."

Anyone who defends this practice is part of the problem.
    It is NOT official and Aiken themselves usually state no queuing until a certain time the day of the concert.

Systems and good natured processes aren't for everyone. Look forward to hearing about your successes of beating the Man in May "Shaneosexual".

hynesie08 wrote: »
    So yeah, the NAL is #1, seve ob is#2 and I'm #3, if they/we don't say "here" by Sunday, they lose their spot in the queue. That's how it works right?

You got it! I'll be number 4 in case I decide to go. If I don't end up going, I'll sell my number 4 spot on eBay.

A queue is a queue. You cannot make your own queue for something , leave the area, return hours later and expect the people who are now there to move.

Mhmm yeah. Best of luck in a couple months.

• Advertisement

Systems and good natured processes aren't for everyone. Look forward to hearing about your successes of beating the Man in May "Shaneosexual".
    Shaneosexual is #4, by the rules of the queue once he's there at #1's roll call he's always #4.

Right?

I ain't going there bud, but thanks anyway.

I ain't going there bud, but thanks anyway.

Pity. Was looking forward to witnessing your righteous but futile attempt to defeat the oppression of the Springsteen queue system in person.

Anyway. Keep up this trolling. It's hugely entertaining.

From now on just call me #4

Pity. Was looking forward to witnessing your righteous but futile attempt to defeat the oppression of the Springsteen queue system in person.

Anyway. Keep up this trolling. It's hugely entertaining.
    Not sure you understand the concept of a discussion board.

Not sure you understand the concept of a discussion board.

Haha

*through tears* Go on, enlighten me "Shaneosexual".

This is ace.

Haha

*through tears* Go on, enlighten me "Shaneosexual".

This is ace.

So I can't discuss a concert on here because I'm not going to it? I was not aware that you had to be involved in something to discuss it.
    Boy, that Apollo 11 moon landing discussion forum must be really quiet since Neil Armstrong died.

So I can't discuss a concert on here because I'm not going to it? I was not aware that you had to be involved in something to discuss it.
    Boy, that Apollo 11 moon landing discussion forum must be really quiet since Neil Armstrong died.

Hahaha

Is it O'Sexual btw? Genius.

Shaneosexual is still #4, once he says here by Sunday, if he chooses to sell his spot on eBay that's his call.

• Advertisement

Hahaha

Is it O'Sexual btw? Genius.

Yes it is. But all one word looks better for trolling, er I mean discussing.

Advertisement