Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bruce Springsteen General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

PTH2009 wrote: »
    I hope he does not decide to ditch the river element of the tour in the middle of the euro tour and play other setlists after the Croke Park dates. As we're one of the earlier dates on the tour we are deff getting the full album.

I don't see why he would do this, the entire European Tour is advertised as The River tour so would make zero sense to ditch it halfway through the tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,419 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I don't see why he would do this, the entire European Tour is advertised as The River tour so would make zero sense to ditch it halfway through the tour.

Crowd reaction mite be low for the set in Europe. Bruce would not give 2 ****s though

Crowd reaction mite be low for the set in Europe. Bruce would not give 2 ****s though

Yeah, can't see him caring, he's going to get the ticket fee even if people hate the gig. If people don't like it/don't realise what they're getting then that's the attendees problem not Bruce's, they should have taken notice of the tour ad. It's been clearly advertised as The River. I would suggest anybody who doesn't like the album should give the gigs a miss then.

Yeah, can't see him caring, he's going to get the ticket fee even if people hate the gig. If people don't like it/don't realise what they're getting then that's the attendees problem not Bruce's, they should have taken notice of the tour ad. It's been clearly advertised as The River. I would suggest anybody who doesn't like the album should give the gigs a miss then.

true i dont want my experience ruined by someone who talks all the way through the set and shouts for the classics after every song. I do like the river album (BITU is my all time fav bruce album). This is a tour for the big bruce fan i think and not a bandwagon fan

true i dont want my experience ruined by someone who talks all the way through the set and shouts for the classics after every song. I do like the river album (BITU is my all time fav bruce album). This is a tour for the big bruce fan i think and not a bandwagon fan

Yeah it would be preferable if the people who don't like the album stayed at home. Nothing worse than trying to enjoy a concert while idiots talk amongst themselves causing disruption. That would be my only worry and would be a complete headwreck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Excellent. I thought he was just going to play that one song. But it's the whole album. And there was I, wondering what all the fuss was about queuing and writing numbers on hands etc. Must buy black marker this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

Wembley June 5.

Glasgow on the 1st and Coventry on the 3rd.

oleras wrote: »
    Wembley June 5.

Glasgow on the 1st and Coventry on the 3rd.

Manchester too on the 25th May.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭liz lemoncello

Has it been announced, for any European dates, that the entire album will be played? It could be a River tour, with a River-heavy setlist, but not the full album.

I saw him a couple of weeks ago, after last seeing him in 2009. It was great, but it was in an arena. I don't envy you guys seeing him in huge venues.

I would be very envious, and at the same, happy for you all, (no, really, I'd be happy for you :D ), if you guys got more variation in the setlist. I would have loved, for example, to have had more River out-takes. I really like Meet Me in the City and it was a fantastic opener, but I am greedy, I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,821 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

true i dont want my experience ruined by someone who talks all the way through the set and shouts for the classics after every song.

People chatting has been an issue at the US gigs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Well almost all of the tour.....the Belgian gig on 9th July is headlining the TW Classic festival with Lana Del Ray, Lionel Ritchie, Simply Red, The Van Jets and CC Smugglers.

http://www.twclassic.be/en

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Has it been announced, for any European dates, that the entire album will be played? It could be a River tour, with a River-heavy setlist, but not the full album.

I saw him a couple of weeks ago, after last seeing him in 2009. It was great, but it was in an arena. I don't envy you guys seeing him in huge venues.

I would be very envious, and at the same, happy for you all, (no, really, I'd be happy for you :D ), if you guys got more variation in the setlist. I would have loved, for example, to have had more River out-takes. I really like Meet Me in the City and it was a fantastic opener, but I am greedy, I guess.

I agree Liz, would like to see him play this set in an indoor arena. Mind you, with the drip feed of announcements there might be a few more gigs up their sleeves yet.

The Nal wrote: »
    People chatting has been an issue at the US gigs.

That thread is deff going to continue here and in Europe anyway.

Fleetwood Mac last year in the 3arena was so frustrating because some people decided to have a chat when they played 'landslide and near going back again'. 2 of there best songs

Almost got a heart attack there when I checked my facebook and saw the 3arena had a Bruce Springsteen and esb status up but it was only to announce the UK leg of the tour. Thought we were getting an indoor show there to add to the Croke Park ones. Seems weird that the 3arenas facebook would be promoting a UK outdoor tour??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭bennyl10

That thread is deff going to continue here and in Europe anyway.

Fleetwood Mac last year in the 3arena was so frustrating because some people decided to have a chat when they played 'landslide and near going back again'. 2 of there best songs

Almost got a heart attack there when I checked my facebook and saw the 3arena had a Bruce Springsteen and esb status up but it was only to announce the UK leg of the tour. Thought we were getting an indoor show there to add to the Croke Park ones. Seems weird that the 3arenas facebook would be promoting a UK outdoor tour??

3arena is managed by live nation who are the promoters of the uk tour :)

Anyway to make more money!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Wooderson

For the Croke park gigs .. the offical show starts at 7pm, I wonder how early you would have to be there for the pre-show ? and are the numbers limited to say a 1000 or whatever.

The pre-show is normally a few hours before the normal show starts, so lets say 5pm and is 30 Minutes long right ?

No guarantee of pre-shows. Only played them at Limerick/Cork/Belfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

Wooderson wrote: »
    No guarantee of pre-shows. Only played them at Limerick/Cork/Belfast.

No pre-shows this tour as far I've seen. Was lucky enough to all of the above last tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Dr. Nick wrote: »
    No pre-shows this tour as far I've seen. Was lucky enough to all of the above last tour.

The Limerick pre-show was one of the highlights of any Springsteen show I've seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

Called into ticketmaster outlet in Easons L'kenny day after & was told people were queing since 3pm the day before :eek: & was told some standing was left at end of day & sold next morning, should have rang them?

What's the longest someone has queued & regarding tickets at queue, standing would go first or random one's printed@ first?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭RoadhouseBlues

It would be a dream come true for me to see Bruce live. Unfortunately I'm unemployed so couldn't afford a ticket. If I had the money though, I would have paid. I suppose its different for everyone though and that's good. Pssssst. When I lived in Pittsburgh back in the early 2000's, the tickets were 180 dollars..........and that was steep then.......Couldn't afford it then either:-)....got a front row ticket for Bon Jovi instead:-)..........Any politicians reading this, if you can get me tickets for Bruce, I will be very appreciative on election day:-)

It would be a dream come true for me to see Bruce live. Unfortunately I'm unemployed so couldn't afford a ticket.

"Tough sh1t" is the message from Bruce HQ I'm afraid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭EyesClosed

"Tough sh1t" is the message from Bruce HQ I'm afraid.

Is Bruce supposed to give him a free ticket yea?
    Stupid comment

EyesClosed wrote: »
    Is Bruce supposed to give him a free ticket yea?
    Stupid comment

He clearly couldn't give a sh1t.

See the standing tickets for Wembley are £94. About 120 euro. Its all getting a bit silly. And very off-putting.

Can't really blame Bruce if people are willing to pay it. More fools us. I'm going once but I've too many others interests - including other gigs - vying for my (limited) cash. And its still on February. Mark Lanegan x 2, Ryley Walker, Flamin' Groovies and Bill Ryder-Jones. Combined, all cheaper than 1 ticket for Springsteen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭Zardoz

He clearly couldn't give a sh1t.

See the standing tickets for Wembley are £94. About 120 euro. Its all getting a bit silly. And very off-putting.

The best seats are a whopping £137.50 in London .
    That's over 180 euro or 200 dollars ,more than he charged for the best seats indoors in the US.

180 euro is alot for the working man,I'd at least expect a greatest hits setlist for that price .
    What one will likely get is one of the weakest setlists he has ever played in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,178 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

There is a fair amount of incessant whining about ticket prices here isn't there? Same names every time too, which is a little soap boxy really.

Also, the thread title could do with an update, seriously.

My own 2cents on the ticket prices, pushing it and alienating a lot of the people he would profess to be one of at heart, but big business has never really cared and I don't think an artist as big as Bruce is going to lose much sleep either when all his shows are selling out regardless of ticket price.

If you want to compare his prices and relative value to other artists there is simply none though imo, it is the greatest live show available and I will happily pay top dollar for that when I can, I love live music and I am a huge Bruce fan, he never disappoints and it is truly special seeing how energised he is on stage at his age particularly, puts acts half his age to shame.

You never know when its going to be his last tour at this point and if I ever think it may be a bit too steep (and I'd be ****ed if I was buying a seated ticket for that money!) I just remember how much I would pay now to see Queen live, to see Pink Floyd live, to watch Bowie live etc

There are few big acts I do pay big money to, I remember when McCartney was charging ridiculous money here and I passed, same with Elton John as I was never a big fan but would like to say I had been to one of his shows. Bruce is certainly one of those mega stars that gets me to shell out the big bucks. I always respected Oasis for keeping ticket prices relatively reasonable for the most part as they never wanted to lose a certain element of their fanbase, but Bruce fanbase is so broad that people will pay, just like with Paul, Elton, Stevie Wonder going back to The Piano Man himself Billy Joel who charged serious money at his peak also.

As long as you don't mind being a soulless tout its always a good investment to get a few Bruce tickets anyway when they go on sale as even if you don't want to go, or think the ticket prices are ridiculous, you will still double or triple your money at least when you sell them on.

Is it all an act with Bruce? No I wouldn't say that, but I wouldn't say he is fully in touch with the common man like he maybe used to be either and he certainly plays up to his persona since he isn't a dumb ass and this is what his cash cow is.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭leakyboots

As long as you don't mind being a soulless tout its always a good investment to get a few Bruce tickets anyway when they go on sale as even if you don't want to go, or think the ticket prices are ridiculous, you will still double or triple your money at least when you sell them on.

No, it's not - it's called being an opportunistic scumbag

• Registered Users Posts: 15,996 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

leakyboots wrote: »

Well his name is StringerBell!!!!!!

leakyboots wrote: »

Soulless tout wasn't far enough no? I do apologise, I tried to keep a certain tone in the post. Feel free to lower it to whatever level you are most comfortable operating on though.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sirmanga

There is a fair amount of incessant whining about ticket prices here isn't there? Same names every time too, which is a little soap boxy really.

Also, the thread title could do with an update, seriously.

My own 2cents on the ticket prices, pushing it and alienating a lot of the people he would profess to be one of at heart, but big business has never really cared and I don't think an artist as big as Bruce is going to lose much sleep either when all his shows are selling out regardless of ticket price.

If you want to compare his prices and relative value to other artists there is simply none though imo, it is the greatest live show available and I will happily pay top dollar for that when I can, I love live music and I am a huge Bruce fan, he never disappoints and it is truly special seeing how energised he is on stage at his age particularly, puts acts half his age to shame.

You never know when its going to be his last tour at this point and if I ever think it may be a bit too steep (and I'd be ****ed if I was buying a seated ticket for that money!) I just remember how much I would pay now to see Queen live, to see Pink Floyd live, to watch Bowie live etc

There are few big acts I do pay big money to, I remember when McCartney was charging ridiculous money here and I passed, same with Elton John as I was never a big fan but would like to say I had been to one of his shows. Bruce is certainly one of those mega stars that gets me to shell out the big bucks. I always respected Oasis for keeping ticket prices relatively reasonable for the most part as they never wanted to lose a certain element of their fanbase, but Bruce fanbase is so broad that people will pay, just like with Paul, Elton, Stevie Wonder going back to The Piano Man himself Billy Joel who charged serious money at his peak also.

Is it all an act with Bruce? No I wouldn't say that, but I wouldn't say he is fully in touch with the common man like he maybe used to be either and he certainly plays up to his persona since he isn't a dumb ass and this is what his cash cow is.
    Ok but Springsteen is not in his prime anymore. He can't run around the stage like he used to and he puts on his gruff voice, he doesn't have it naturally anymore and you can tell the difference. So why are people expected to pay more for him now than when he was better 10, even 5 years ago.

I know why, cause he is getting old and knows he needs to pad out the pension to make sure his working class family are taken care of. The bald phony

Don't support him sure, why does it bother you so much though?

The small part of the post you picked out, whether he is in his prime or not doesn't really matter, he is still in the top echelon of touring acts and he can charge whatever he wants really, its up to people to decide whether its worth it to them or not.

No idea why it would make people angry, just don't support the artist if you don't like him. How does it affect your life?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

sirmanga wrote: »
    Ok but Springsteen is not in his prime anymore. He can't run around the stage like he used to and he puts on his gruff voice, he doesn't have it naturally anymore and you can tell the difference. So why are people expected to pay more for him now than when he was better 10, even 5 years ago.

I know why, cause he is getting old and knows he needs to pad out the pension to make sure his working class family are taken care of. The bald phony

What a load of absolute garbage.

Advertisement