Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bruce Springsteen General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,821 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

PTH2009 wrote: »
    cant wait to read about the bandwagoners on here after the shows

People from the midlands in World Cup 90 Irish jerseys and Lee jeans. Massive day out in the smoke.

OLÉ OLÉ OLÉ OLÉ, OLÉ, OLÉ!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Possibily if the e street band are calling it a day and do one final world tour then they will be a massive demand for which ever irish venue they play.
    This could well be the final world tour with the band. Those guys aint getting any younger. Clarence and Gary gone, Nils on restrictions from his doc after hip replacements...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,821 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

RainyDay wrote: »
    This could well be the final world tour with the band.

I very much doubt that. Solo album with winter tour and he'll be back next summer with the ESB. That may well be the last tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

Gary's dead?? So long as Danny's playing it'll be a good show, assuming he's not playing the base though.

Dr. Nick wrote: »
    Gary's dead?? So long as Danny's playing it'll be a good show, assuming he's not playing the base though.

Sorry, my mistake - though if you want to get picky, Gary will be playing bass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

I have two tickets for the Camp Nou in Barcelona on May 14th but now a friend of herself wants to come visit that weekend and is looking a ticket. Anyone any recommendations for getting anything at face value? I'm not prepared to pay above it.

Seatwave offered me a stunning deal. Two for £196, not including a £37 booking fee...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Wooderson

bennyl10 wrote: »

To just be in the pit, show up about an hour before gates :)

Lemme know how you get on with that. :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Wooderson wrote: »

Got Pit passes in Kilkenny last year well after the gates opened, though that was an all day thing.

Similarly got passes in the RDS in the past going down after work, around 5 or so which would be after the gates opened.

adrian522 wrote: »
    Got Pit passes in Kilkenny last year well after the gates opened, though that was an all day thing.

Similarly got passes in the RDS in the past going down after work, around 5 or so which would be after the gates opened.

If people wander down to the stadium at 5 bells they could get lucky I spose.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Wooderson wrote: »

Seem Bruce 4 times, this year will be 5..
    Never failed to get pit doing that way..

Don't see this year changing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,419 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Why 'weird'? It's giving a huge two-fingers to the idiots that passed this legislation.

RainyDay wrote: »
    Why 'weird'? It's giving a huge two-fingers to the idiots that passed this legislation.

Why screw innocent fans heading to the show,who have nothing to do with the passing of this idiotic legislation ??. We're the guys who passed this attending the show ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

He's using his fame and influence to make a point. Fair play to him, he's willing to disappoint fans and lose money to make a statement about something he feels strongly about. The artists who played in South Africa during apartheid could have done with some of his b*lls.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

Why screw innocent fans heading to the show,who have nothing to do with the passing of this idiotic legislation ??. We're the guys who passed this attending the show ?
    A fair argument to make.

But I think this stunt, if you want to call it that, sends a much stronger signal than someone like Bono preaching on stage at a concert to those guys attending the show. Bruce may have screwed the guys attending the show on this occasion, but as a facebook commenter made acutely aware, this "shot" can be heard all around the world. And I think in the long run, fans of Springsteen appreciate the sentiment, even those who might get screwed in the short run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sirmanga

Typical Springsteen leftist tripe. Most of his audience are liberals who will be opposed to the bill anyway. They will be the ones disappointed. He should just keep his mouth shut about politics. He's a musician. Idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭perrier

Fair play to him for making a stand, but he could do this in several other cities/countries if he applied the same logic. Many of the other cities on the tour don't have the greatest human rights records i.e Baltimores Police or depending on your point of view Belgium and Frances treatment of their Muslim populations.

perrier wrote: »
    Fair play to him for making a stand, but he could do this in several other cities/countries if he applied the same logic. Many of the other cities on the tour don't have the greatest human rights records i.e Baltimores Police or depending on your point of view Belgium and Frances treatment of their Muslim populations.

Us in Dublin are safe anyway unless he takes sympathy on the luas workers and cancels the gig in honor of them

sirmanga wrote: »
    Typical Springsteen leftist tripe. Most of his audience are liberals who will be opposed to the bill anyway. They will be the ones disappointed. He should just keep his mouth shut about politics. He's a musician. Idiot.
    Simply saying something or giving a speech about it at the gig would not really reach people with bigoted views. It would be preaching to the converted i.e. mass. Pointless. Cancelling the concert calls out exactly those who would not be attending it i.e. those who support the legislation. As he says in the letter, it's the strongest ammunition he has against this kind of backwards behaviour.

Springsteen is so much more than a musician to be fair. Your post proves it.

I'm sure that some fans will be pi$$ed, but I've also seen commentary online from folks who have tickets for the show saying 'Fair Play to Ya' Bruce (translated from US English)

• Advertisement

Hahaha you clown

Why doesn't he cancel in other states that have laws he doesn't agree with? Death penalty etc. What a self righteous clown. It's just because the bathroom law is in the news now he wants to get himself some attention and get himself over with the LGBT community. What a phony this man is. He could have cancelled weeks ago but waited until two days before the gig. People will have non refundable hotels and flights booked. He could have announced at the gig that he is not playing in NC again until the law is overturned and brought some LGBTs on stage to talk of their anger.
    Cancelling only screws his loyal fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,178 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Got you talking about it though eh

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Got you talking about it though eh

Yeah but that isn't necessarily a good thing. Is he going to cancel Croke Park because he doesn't agree with the water charges? Is he going to boycott Australia because they don't support gay marriage. He has set a precedence for himself now that if a place he is playing in has a law that he doesn't like then he must cancel the concert. If he doesnt, does that mean he supports that law? See what I mean? From what I read a lot of people are against the bill in NC. They are the ones losing out. We in Ireland are against water charges but we would be a bit confused if Bruce punished us by cancelling a gig in protest of something we protest. The man is so far left he's fallen off the edge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

He's asking his loyal fans to look a the bigger picture, I'd be fairly pissed off if I'd travelled, paid for hotels etc., but you're probably talking 95% local fans here so the pain is less.

Knowing Springsteen, it's his protest not just against this relatively small local issue, it's a commentary on what's going on right now in the US, it may be the start something bigger from him regarding Trump. I mean, Trump has nothing to do with this but it's
    Trump-esque is it not? Just an opinion.

If Bruce done a garth Brooks style cancellation in Ireland than they will be uproar but Bruce is not like that is not going to disappoint a Euro crowd.

Yeah but that isn't necessarily a good thing. Is he going to cancel Croke Park because he doesn't agree with the water charges? Is he going to boycott Australia because they don't support gay marriage. He has set a precedence for himself now that if a place he is playing in has a law that he doesn't like then he must cancel the concert. If he doesnt, does that mean he supports that law? See what I mean? From what I read a lot of people are against the bill in NC. They are the ones losing out. We in Ireland are against water charges but we would be a bit confused if Bruce punished us by cancelling a gig in protest of something we protest. The man is so far left he's fallen off the edge.
    As he's American, I'm sure he feels not just more of a connect to events in North Carolina, but that his actions can have a much stronger effect than say in Ireland or Australia. It's also different than both of the issues you mention in that legislation is being introduced which is discriminatory.

Canadel wrote: »
    As he's American, I'm sure he feels not just more of a connect to events in North Carolina, but that his actions can have a much stronger effect than say in Ireland or Australia. It's also different than both of the issues you mention in that legislation is being introduced which is discriminatory.
    I wouldn't want my daughter sharing a bathroom with a man just because he says he's a woman.
    Disgusting. This is why the world is in the state it's in.

Springsteen has never kept his mouth shut - on a variety of issues. He's never listened to those that would say "you're an artist, shut up and sing". A good thing.

That he has exposed your particular intolerance on this occasion is a victory in itself.

Keep it up tho. So entertaining to read.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

If he is against water charges he'd have to cancel all his gigs!

Advertisement