Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bruce Springsteen General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Listening to entire gig in my back garden (just beside Croker). Sound is fine here! ;)
    Had a nice barbeque to go with it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

A little disappointed with the overall show - don't think it was the best Bruce gig I was at.

Is it just me or are the there a whole load of w****** get totally wasted before and during the gig and don't get me started on the one who insist talking loudly ALL through the gig and those who only know the mainstream songs......

ok enough already (as Silvio would say)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Sound was fine where I was, for an outdoor gig at least. A lot of people too drunk to enjoy the gig and ruining it for others but I thought the gig was excellent. Jungleland, first time hearing it live. Good setlist I thought. Roulette another highlight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

muddypaws wrote: »
    I'm sure its not just me that it annoys, but everytime he plays Because the Night they list it as a Patti Smith Group cover :mad:

Patti Smith co-wrote it. Patti Smith first performed it. It is a cover.

Even if neither of those were true, it's not YOUR song. Why would you let it annoy you?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,489 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

So, what were the start and finishing times?
    And what was available alcohol wise?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

So, what were the start and finishing times?
    And what was available alcohol wise?

7.20, 10.45 or maybe a bit earlier. On the pitch just bottles of carlsberg for €6

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Patti Smith co-wrote it. Patti Smith first performed it. It is a cover.

Even if neither of those were true, it's not YOUR song. Why would you let it annoy you?

Springsteen sings his own lyrics, not the ones that Patti Smith wrote, so no, its not a cover. Thats why it annoys me.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Standing about 7 or 8 deep behind the pit, didn't notice any problems with the sound my self, nor anyone chatting over a few of the less known songs. All in all, thought was a great gig.
    Mint Sauce wrote: »
    What's the odds of Racing In The Streets, Darkness On The Edge Of Town, and Tougher Than The Rest all being played?

:D

Two out of three was not bad. Tougher than the rest nearly had me going.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

It's Hard to be a Saint in the City was awesome!

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Standing about 7 or 8 deep behind the pit, didn't notice any problems with the sound my self, nor anyone chatting over a few of the less known songs. All in all, thought was a great gig.

Same for me. I was dead centre about 6 rows behind the pit barrier and I thought the sound was great. The sax, guitars, piano etc were all really clear and distinct.

For my first Bruce gig I couldn't have asked for better. Brilliant set-list, great atmosphere and even the rain held off. It's just a pity it doesn't get dark a bit earlier. Once the sun went down the vibe really picked up.

Fantastic night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭rumar

Great gig and sound seemed fine to me in the pit but the organisation was a shambles before the gig, no beer allowed in, then it was allowed, then not allowed and finally allowed again. Have a good feed before going in. Food is shocking in there and very expensive. Was in the pit q at 2,got inside about 3.30 and then was held back for another hour or so.

Pit was very packed though. Never noticed it that cramped before.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭LFC CONNAUGHTON

Sound wasn't terrible but not entirely great either. Loved hearing Back in Your Arms live. Didn't get into the pit but I agree, it was one of the most crowded pits I've seen. Great concert overall despite the crowd that are there to be seen and get pissed rather than enjoy the Boss himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

Ciaran_B wrote: »
    Same for me. I was dead centre about 6 rows behind the pit barrier and I thought the sound was great. The sax, guitars, piano etc were all really clear and distinct.

For my first Bruce gig I couldn't have asked for better. Brilliant set-list, great atmosphere and even the rain held off. It's just a pity it doesn't get dark a bit earlier. Once the sun went down the vibe really picked up.

Fantastic night.

Upper hogan towards the canal end.. Sound was iffy at the start but improved.. I'm not a huge fan but really enjoyed the gig.. He's an absolute legend and there won't be any like him around after hes gone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Story Bud?

I'm honestly thinking of getting tickets for Sunday and queuing for the pit.

What a night.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭blackvalley

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Sound is iffy at Croke Park for every gig, same in RDS when Bruce played.. always some complaints..

Never as bad as people make out.

So you have tested out each section of Croke Park and decided that the sound is " not as bad as people make out " . Well I am one of those people and I can tell you that the sound quality on the Davin stand this evening was diabolical. However you obviously know better

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭GreatDefector

adrian522 wrote: »
    7.20, 10.45 or maybe a bit earlier. On the pitch just bottles of carlsberg for €6

That's was a load of Balls. Not allowed bring beer in from the inside onto the pitch. There was more available out there

Nope, if I want beer on the pitch it must be carlsberg. Monopoly on the beer and it's ****e

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Story Bud?

That's was a load of Balls. Not allowed bring beer in from the inside onto the pitch. There was more available out there

Nope, if I want beer on the pitch it must be carlsberg. Monopoly on the beer and it's ****e

Was fairly sh*t, money making bollox.

Thankfully I had my little hip flask of green spot and required no purchase of substandard lager :p

/snobby cnut

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭bennyl10

So you have tested out each section of Croke Park and decided that the sound is " not as bad as people make out " . Well I am one of those people and I can tell you that the sound quality on the Davin stand this evening was diabolical. However you obviously know better

Christ isn't someone defensive?!!

I was simply saying these comments of poor sound come after every single gig(this thread alone will have numerous examples going back the years!) Despite the vast majority of people having minimal or no complaints. I'm sure some people (obviously) had complaints, but again, they happen at every single outdoor gig in this country..

And if you want to go down the "you haven't experienced it shut up" route.. as mature as it is, sat in Davin for RHCP, yes sound was a little muffled, but not diabolical by any stretch.. that distance it's to be some way expected..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

Didn't notice anything off with the sound on the Cusack stand. It was only after that I started seeing people complaining online. Great gig but so many people around me were pissed as farts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Actually are you allowed bring beer to a seat?

Heading Sunday, if we can get half the setlist ye got tonight I'll be happy.. maybe with Atlantic city/R.nowhere thrown in for good measure

After RDS2 in 2012 and Thomond, Sunday has some high expectations to meet :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Raoul

If I could afford to go Sunday again I would!! Great gig. Sound was excellent. I was prob 1/3 of the pitch length away from Bruce. Saint in the City and Lost in the Flood were excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭GreatDefector

Raoul wrote: »
    If I could afford to go Sunday again I would!! Great gig. Sound was excellent. I was prob 1/3 of the pitch length away from Bruce. Saint in the City and Lost in the Flood were excellent.

Jungleland. A very rare addition to the set. Wont see that Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭gilmour

sound was really great in the lower Cusack nearly right in line with the stage, with the exception of Tenth Avenue where everything seemed to go tits up sound wise but was fine for the rest of the set.

What a great gig though, nearly lost my mind during Lost in the Flood.

Pit for Sunday, not looking forward to the queue after reading some of the reports about the organisation of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

gilmour wrote: »

Pit for Sunday, not looking forward to the queue after reading some of the reports about the organisation of it!

It was perfectly organised?!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Front row of 733 Hogan and we thought the sound was horrendous also. We're not exactly audiophiles either and so for us to be noticing it must have meant something was amiss. Couldn't really say with any specificity just what way it was bad but, to our ears at least, it all just sounded like what you might associate with a very very poor quality speaker. Maybe it's just the way Croker is set up. Seem to remember The Police not sounding great, nor the Chillies a few years back either.

I enjoyed the concert overall though, but tbf, it wasn't the greatest of Springsteen gigs. They set a high standard, that's for sure, and so there's that but it all just felt a little forced for me. Not something you might notice if you were seeing them for the first time but they are just much better than what was on show there tonight. I noticed a couple of times Bruce seemed annoyed with one or two things on stage, maybe that played a part. Was this the shortest gig so far on the tour does anyone know?

I hope nobody thinks I'm being too harsh. Really don't mean to be. No band can be at the top of their game for every show and I wouldn't knock their work ethic for a second. They are in a league of their own in that regard. You'd be lucky to get two hours from most bands of their generation, or a band from any damn generation for that matter. Am going on Sunday again, will be in the pit for it, and hopefully the sound for one will be better there. From above the crowd in the pit looked really up for it too, which hopefully will the same story come Sunday.

Also, what the hell was up with the house lights? They all seemed to come on full blast at around 10pm or so and stayed on like that until the end. Surely that wasn't deliberate was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,178 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Possibly some kinks to work out, which hopefully will be sorted for Sunday :)

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

I was midway up the pitch in Hogan stand premium. Overall the sound was ok but I certainly noticed issues on a number of songs. However I was chatting to a guy that had left the premium over near the corner of Davin & Cusac and he said the sound was awful, I was talking to a few others that were in Davin & they said that they couldn't hear the gig.

Overall, great gig and super setlist though I hope for a few of the River songs not played tonight will be played Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭keano25

How good was Nils on that guitar tho... unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,178 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

New band member? ;)

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭gilmour

Dr. Nick wrote: »
    It was perfectly organised?!

Brilliant, now i can ignore a couple of others who told me otherwise though it was their first time ever doing a pit queue.
    So basically the Davin Stand (Canal End) carpark right? Saw someone mentioning outside the Cusack on this thread earlier and i'm a bit confused now, was that for the "secondary" batch of wristbands?

Advertisement