Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bruce Springsteen General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,178 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

The queue system for the pit at Springsteen's shows always divide opinion really.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭liz lemoncello

Front row of 733 Hogan and we thought the sound was horrendous also. We're not exactly audiophiles either and so for us to be noticing it must have meant something was amiss. Couldn't really say with any specificity just what way it was bad but, to our ears at least, it all just sounded like what you might associate with a very very poor quality speaker. Maybe it's just the way Croker is set up. Seem to remember The Police not sounding great, nor the Chillies a few years back either.

I enjoyed the concert overall though, but tbf, it wasn't the greatest of Springsteen gigs. They set a high standard, that's for sure, and so there's that but it all just felt a little forced for me. Not something you might notice if you were seeing them for the first time but they are just much better than what was on show there tonight. I noticed a couple of times Bruce seemed annoyed with one or two things on stage, maybe that played a part. Was this the shortest gig so far on the tour does anyone know?

I hope nobody thinks I'm being too harsh. Really don't mean to be. No band can be at the top of their game for every show and I wouldn't knock their work ethic for a second. They are in a league of their own in that regard. You'd be lucky to get two hours from most bands of their generation, or a band from any damn generation for that matter. Am going on Sunday again, will be in the pit for it, and hopefully the sound for one will be better there. From above the crowd in the pit looked really up for it too, which hopefully will the same story come Sunday.

Also, what the hell was up with the house lights? They all seemed to come on full blast at around 10pm or so and stayed on like that until the end. Surely that wasn't deliberate was it?

On the North American leg the lights were on for a lot of the post-River songs. It did seem weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭gilmour

The queue system for the pit at Springsteen's shows always divide opinion really.

Personally i've never had a problem with any single pit queue, in fact i think they're great and play a great part of the enjoyment of the gig itself, (meeting new people from all over the world, realising that you are a novice in terms of boss gigs under your belt compared to a lot of people there :eek:) instead of thinking its a pain in the arse. And even better when you get the pre show sets like we did in 2013

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Creeping Death

So you have tested out each section of Croke Park and decided that the sound is " not as bad as people make out " . Well I am one of those people and I can tell you that the sound quality on the Davin stand this evening was diabolical. However you obviously know better

Why did you skip the 1st half of his post and then misquote the 2nd half?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

I was in the Cusack Stand, the sound was deplorable it just wasnt as bad as AC/DC in Aviva but wasnt far behind it. I would love to hear a recording of Born to Run last night Bruce seemed to be spun out at this stage...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,499 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Sound was poor alright.

Croke Park just isn't a good music venue.

Also, selling beers from luggage bags on the pitch? Strange set up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Peter File

Steve Van Zandt will be djing and meeting and greeting fans in tower records on Dawson Street today between 3pm and 5pm

Tower Live Alert: So this is happening tomorrow in Tower, Dawson street with a live Q&A. See you tomorrow Steve Van Zandt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭s8n

serious amount of moaning on this thread - Did anyone actually enjoy it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,418 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Very enjoyable gig

Setlist was OK. Nice to hear Working on the highway, hungry heart, jungleland, full band version of thunder road and the excellent because the night The crowd pleases such as sunny day, ditd, btr and the rising were very well received and almost everyone sang along. Bruce Looked like he was really enjoying himself. Bit odd the full house lights came on just after 10pm and he played in doing 2 encores but it very much added to the atmosphere

I was in cusack lower section 307 and the sound was OK but improved as the show went on.

Experienced a huge delay going into the stadium on the foster terrace side going into the cusack. Seems like they didn't have enough stewards checking the tickets on that side. Possibly Bruce was given news of the delay and thankfully we got in at about 7.10 and he came on stage just after 7.20

The drinks system was a pain in the arse, some kiosks selling carlsbeg only, some running out of cider (Stella cidre is horrible), some closing midway through the concept .Went out to get a drink and was amazed the people who were down in the front area chatting away like there was no gig going on. Had a few pints myself but saw loads of people completely out of it and must have cash to burn if they can spend so much on tickets to ignore the show and get pissed

The 4g coverage was shocking for me as I was trying to check the result of the soccer.

Sunday will be very enjoyable no doubt and Wud love to go but can't make it.

It's a wonder where Bruce and the esb will play in Ireland in there next tour ??. I thought it was an amazing atmosphere last night

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭clickhere

s8n wrote: »

I was in the pit and it was just class. Sorry to hear that sound issues ruined it for others. I was exhausted after it, how the man keeps going i don't know. He really is the BOSS. Can't wait for Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Unz88

I'm desperate to get into the pit on Sunday. I've been to a few of his gigs but never the pit so looking for some tips.
    What time should we queue up at? When we get the pit pass, can we head away for a few hours and come back or no? How does one get to/from the toilets and maintain the same spot? Where do we buy drinks? It is possible to bring bottled water uncapped in from outside?

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Gal44

We had cusack stand entrance tickets and We got into the pit, we started queuing at 3pm, couldn't believe it!!
    Great gig
    Nobody checked our bags not sure about bringing drinks in

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Shylock16

Security getting into the pit was terrible. We arrived after the bands were"gone" and saw loads of people getting in without bands because they knew the security. Asked to speak to the head of security who said they hadn't even doe we saw them with out own eyes. Cut a long story short a gentleman in the pit gave us his band and 5 of us got in using the same band and sticking in together with chewing gum on the underside and passing it back out. Great gig !

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭GreatDefector

s8n wrote: »

Yeah, himself did!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭The Raptor

What a tosspot that Enda Kenny is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

As I said the rumour has been confirmed little Stevie dj set in tower records today between 3-5

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭bennyl10

The Raptor wrote: »

A tosspot?.. for buying tickets and attending a gig..

He's well known as a fan of Bruce, always goes to concerts of his.

You can begrudge him a lot of things, but going to a concert and enjoying himself?
    How dare he?!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭The Raptor

bennyl10 wrote: »
    A tosspot?.. for buying tickets and attending a gig..

He's well known as a fan of Bruce, always goes to concerts of his.

You can begrudge him a lot of things, but going to a concert and enjoying himself?
    How dare he?!!!

Nice that he enjoys concerts himself but wouldn't step up for the garth gate. But if it was Bruce that was cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Kazstu

I'm going to the concert on Sunday, where do you queue for the pit and how early do you need to be there? Ta

• Registered Users Posts: 9,802 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Watched most of the show from a fair bit back, noticed on some of the songs the sound was a little iffy, but wouldn't say bad. Not ashamed to admit when Jake stepped up for his jungleland solo I had to bite my lip a little to stop myself welling up. Definitely gonna do pit Sunday. Let's hope the night 2 streak continues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Nice that he enjoys concerts himself but wouldn't step up for the garth gate. But if it was Bruce that was cancelled.

The fault for this debacle was Garth himself, what could Enda Kenny have done?

So he is not allowed to go somewhere and enjoy himself? I was in the section directly under him and the general reaction was positive to him.

Can people not enjoy the music etc and not find reasons to moan. The only people with a justifiable gripe are those in areas of the stand where the sound was crap. I am not sure whether much can be done for Sunday considering the intensity of the show but the prices charged for those tickets is extortionate considering the sound problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭mattser

dixiefly wrote: »
    The fault for this debacle was Garth himself, what could Enda Kenny have done?

Well he should have stayed away from Bruce in solidarity with Garth fans then. :mad::mad: Why wouldn't he enjoy the gig and rock to it. Fair play to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭whatever_

Cusack 304 lower - great concert. The sound was distorting badly for the first few songs, though it gradually improved. Given the weather, the sound should have been much better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

I hear you could still get a pass for the pit at 1600 on Friday, not sure about sunday tho .. Im gonna get there around 1600 - if I dont get one, f'ck it, ill try and bribe a security card .. offer him E3 ...

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭perrier

Was in lower 306. The sound was crap to begin with and improved to mediocre. It depended on your position as If you were higher up in the block the sound seemed to be better.

I've never been to a gig in the new Croke Park so I've nothing to compare it to, but it was the worst sound I've heard at a Bruce gig. The place is just too big. But it's some stadium.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

perrier wrote: »
    Was in lower 306. The sound was crap to begin with and improved to mediocre. It depended on your position as If you were higher up in the block the sound seemed to be better.

I've never been to a gig in the new Croke Park so I've nothing to compare it to, but it was the worst sound I've heard at a Bruce gig. The place is just too big. But it's some stadium.

Lower 308, Cusack, and sound noticeably distorted. First time to a Bruce gig, so was wondering if it was down to Bruce Mumbling. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

Bruce Springsteen steamrolls through 3½-hour set at Croker
    via The Irish Times
    http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/music/bruce-springsteen-steamrolls-through-3-hour-set-at-croker-1.2663751

Watch the video - now I'm not having a go here , but 69 concerts !!
    And some people have been at 100s - do they have jobs or what ??

Tomorrow will be my 7th and probably last - hence I want to go to the pit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭IR1SH RANG3R

Can anyone tell me what time the roll calls are at today and tomorrow? Same as for last nights Show or what? Thanks

Advertisement