Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bruce Springsteen General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭perrier

Lower 308, Cusack, and sound noticeably distorted. First time to a Bruce gig, so was wondering if it was down to Bruce Mumbling.

During Roulette it was actually painful to listen to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭keano25

New band member? ;)

****e phone and big fat fingers.. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

The Raptor wrote: »
    Nice that he enjoys concerts himself but wouldn't step up for the garth gate. But if it was Bruce that was cancelled.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say I'm pretty sure Enda would be a Garth fan. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Well in i strolled at 5:20 and was given a pit pass, happy days. He said he thought they were all gone but had a couple of hundred left. amazing night.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Good gig, probably not great and sound from the lower davin mid stand was fairly poor for most of it.

Jungle land, thunder road and this hard land were top class. however performance of the night for me was his rendition of the river. It was my 8th Bruce gig and that song blew me away last night, he seemed to put his heart and soul into it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭thatsnotmyname

Last nights setlist

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/bruce-springsteen/2016/croke-park-dublin-ireland-7bfe8674.html

Judging from his last few gigs he likes to mix up the setlist!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,418 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Bruce Springsteen steamrolls through 3½-hour set at Croker
    via The Irish Times
    http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/music/bruce-springsteen-steamrolls-through-3-hour-set-at-croker-1.2663751

Watch the video - now I'm not having a go here , but 69 concerts !!
    And some people have been at 100s - do they have jobs or what ??

Tomorrow will be my 7th and probably last - hence I want to go to the pit

Some could be teachers who would prob save half of there paycheck too follow Bruce in Europe for the summer.

Some of these followers would sleep on floors of fellow fans

I'm going to Manchester next month to see the stone roses (I'm not a mega fan of them, it's more the convenience of seeing them in a stadium, more than seeing them in a muddy field in Dublin in July and I'm getting a little trip away to the UK)

To anyone going tomorrow id say the back of the pit can be as good as the front because he spends a lot of time walking around the walkway so you will get a really good view of him if you're at the back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

anna080 wrote: »
    To anyone going tomorrow id say the back of the pit can be as good as the front because he spends a lot of time walking around the walkway so you will get a really good view of him if you're at the back

That's for sure, I was just standing in the pit by the start of the walkway and he ran right past me. Good times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

Next thing ul be telling us he does not walk but floats 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭MfMan

Goin tomorrow. What was traffic/maneuverability like around CP?

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭den87

Great gig. Hearing Jungleland live was something else, Back in your arms was seriously emotional there was a grown man next to me in tears!
    Hope they release a DVD or CD of it for sentimental value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

You'll be able to buy the audio on brucespringsteen.net in a few weeks or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Gal44

Wonder where he'll be tonight.... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

Gal44 wrote: »
    Wonder where he'll be tonight.... :)

Id say he rests between gigs - or maybe he'll be watching the UCL final - he won't cheer for Real Madrid as he's a barca fan - he said so at the camp nou 2 weeks ago ...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Were these carlsberg bottles glass or plastic? strange if they were glass with the inherent risk. I see plastic ones listed on a UK site so guess it was plastic.

Someone said it was 3.8%, this is not Irish market strength which is 4.3%, it is likely UK market stuff, which some supermarkets and offies buy in here the odd time.

I know the Aviva threatened to buy exported guinness back from the UK as it was cheaper. I wonder if croke park pulled a trick like this. Weaker stuff would mean less drunks. There should be more people pissed on sunday as more will be able to an early start.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Plastic. I stomped through 1000's of them getting off the pitch last night.

Did he get a helicopter back to his hotel after the gig? Can't imagine him being stuck in that traffic jam last night

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

they were glass bottles and plastic glasses being sold in the stands.

I thought I heard a helicopter all right - how bad was the traffic ? I was lucky, I hopped into a cab immediately.

they were glass bottles and plastic glasses being sold in the stands.

I thought I heard a helicopter all right - how bad was the traffic ? I was lucky, I hopped into a cab immediately.

We were an hour just getting out of Clonliffe college and then another 40 mins after that stuck in traffic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

So, what were the start and finishing times?
    And what was available alcohol wise?

They started at 7.23pm and played till 10.49pm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Christ isn't someone defensive?!!

I was simply saying these comments of poor sound come after every single gig(this thread alone will have numerous examples going back the years!) Despite the vast majority of people having minimal or no complaints. I'm sure some people (obviously) had complaints, but again, they happen at every single outdoor gig in this country..

And if you want to go down the "you haven't experienced it shut up" route.. as mature as it is, sat in Davin for RHCP, yes sound was a little muffled, but not diabolical by any stretch.. that distance it's to be some way expected..

I find that ant any gig, even in indoor venues, the sound varies depending on where you are standing. If i stand to close to either side of a venue, i find that there's usually a less full sound, where i can often hear more of the instruments from that side of the stage than the other side, than if i am standing more centrally.

With outdoor gigs, I find the sound can vary even more than indoor gigs. I was at Neil Young in the RDS in 2013 in the standing area. The sound was ok, but I felt it could have been louder, but the windy and rainy weather conditions during the gig didn't help.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

dixiefly wrote: »
    There was also room in that stomping opening salvo for two of the 22 songs that didn’t make it onto The River, ‘The Ties That Bind’ and a sign request ‘Roulette’.

Very first track on the album!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

Just catching up with the thread now
    bm92 wrote: »
    The roll call saves your place in the queue come Friday/Sunday to avoid having to stay in line the whole time. It's for the people who want to be guaranteed a place up front. You will still get in the pit once you come early enough on the day of the gig. I was 64 one year and 268 the previous year and ended up in almost exactly same place but maybe one row in difference
    vicwatson wrote: »
    Has to be finished before 11pm doesn't it. That's the agreement with Croker gigs. And yeh you'll make D'olier street in the time no probs, take about 20 mins to get there walking

Cheers, i've to get the bus outside Clerys@11.30
    Story Bud? wrote: »
    You'll have no issue at all with that :)
    From what I recall, bags aren't banned. They just recommended not bringing backpacks, etc to speed up the process of getting in. I presume anything you bring will have to be searched.

I can fit everything I need in my pockets so once I don't have an issue with my charger I'm good to go without a bag. If I had to bring extras, I'd bring it no problem.

Check aiken's website if you want the full rules. I think the Indo ran them too.

Same here, leaving in the morning & away after concert, will have a few survival things, like water & sandwiches+rainjacket
    Literally just arrived. GA is on st. James road. Behind the cusack stand
    adrian522 wrote: »
    Sound was fine where I was, for an outdoor gig at least. A lot of people too drunk to enjoy the gig and ruining it for others but I thought the gig was excellent. Jungleland, first time hearing it live. Good setlist I thought. Roulette another highlight.

Same here, it's a rare song to be played, once saw the late Clarence Clemons doing the sax on youtube & loved every bit of it since, all 7.33 of it:)
    jobless wrote: »
    Upper hogan towards the canal end.. Sound was iffy at the start but improved.. I'm not a huge fan but really enjoyed the gig.. He's an absolute legend and there won't be any like him around after hes gone
    Front row of 733 Hogan and we thought the sound was horrendous also. We're not exactly audiophiles either and so for us to be noticing it must have meant something was amiss. Couldn't really say with any specificity just what way it was bad but, to our ears at least, it all just sounded like what you might associate with a very very poor quality speaker. Maybe it's just the way Croker is set up. Seem to remember The Police not sounding great, nor the Chillies a few years back either.

I enjoyed the concert overall though, but tbf, it wasn't the greatest of Springsteen gigs. They set a high standard, that's for sure, and so there's that but it all just felt a little forced for me. Not something you might notice if you were seeing them for the first time but they are just much better than what was on show there tonight. I noticed a couple of times Bruce seemed annoyed with one or two things on stage, maybe that played a part. Was this the shortest gig so far on the tour does anyone know?

I hope nobody thinks I'm being too harsh. Really don't mean to be. No band can be at the top of their game for every show and I wouldn't knock their work ethic for a second. They are in a league of their own in that regard. You'd be lucky to get two hours from most bands of their generation, or a band from any damn generation for that matter. Am going on Sunday again, will be in the pit for it, and hopefully the sound for one will be better there. From above the crowd in the pit looked really up for it too, which hopefully will the same story come Sunday.

Also, what the hell was up with the house lights? They all seemed to come on full blast at around 10pm or so and stayed on like that until the end. Surely that wasn't deliberate was it?

That's where my seat is, i'm wondering to avoid that & maybe look for a place on the pit? As some on twitter were on the journal.ie talking bout the sound.

This is my 2nd concert, as i tried to get people to go last time, as going to The Boss on your 1st gig by yourself was overwhelming, but loved every min & will live with you forever :)
    Well in i strolled at 5:20 and was given a pit pass, happy days. He said he thought they were all gone but had a couple of hundred left. amazing night.

Where was that, i suppose that was just random, when realising there were some left?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Well in i strolled at 5:20 and was given a pit pass,
    This is probably due to people being in work, just in case people going sunday are thinking of leaving it that late.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,567 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

I arrived in after 5 and was told the pit passes were gone :(

I ended up standing at back of the sound desk on the right hand side, there was constant chatter throughout the lesser known songs but the band was loud, so it wasn't too distracting and people were strolling about the place non-stop, typical big event crowd.

Yeah the sound was a bit dodgy for the first few songs, it seemed to improve after that, Cadilac Ranch, Back In Your Arms and Promised Land were the highlights for me, enjoyed Dancing in the Dark too, even though I don't like the song.

Jake effortlessly filled the big shoes of his uncle, Bruce was blessed to have him there as a replacement.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

rubadub wrote: »
    This is probably due to people being in work, just in case people going sunday are thinking of leaving it that late.

Also a lot of people in earlier didn't get any pass.

I did think about hanging around that area a bit to see if any would materialise but instead went in to see if the security guys in there had any, they did not.

I still ended up close to the front and right by the barrier to the soundstage, good spot but a few idiots around unfortunately including 2 lads debating loudly whether the song he was doing was or was not Thunder road

Thats Thunder road I think
    no its not
    yeah it is

a few seconds later...

I told you it was thunder road
    you never said that

etc, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Jake effortlessly filled the big shoes of his uncle, Bruce was blessed to have him there as a replacement.

Yeah, he is truly amazing. The Kilkenny shows in particular I thought he was sensational.

Tough time for him over the past years too as his father also unfortunately died early '14 as a result of a house fire. His Dad, and extended family, had been suing doctors over Clarence's death at the time as apparently he had been taken off some meds which he shouldn't have been. Haven't heard anything about it since though.

Six months or so after that I seen him in Whelan's and he was terrific. A great talent in his own right.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Dero123

Great gig last night my eight and easily the best, I got there at 2 and joined the que at the back on the Cusack Stand, we were let inside the gates just after 3 given pit passes and put in another holding area before finally being allowed in just after 4.00.
    Pit was packed with great atmosphere in it was talking to a chap that had flown in from America

Loved the start of the shown Darkness into Badlands works so well, Death to My hometown was brilliant, Lost in the Flood Thunder Road, The Rising the set had it all.

There not going to be around for ever so if your going tomorrow night enjoy and prepare yourself for the best 3.5hours of live entertainment you will ever see

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭LowOdour

what are the chances of getting on to the pitch with a stand ticket? Was wondering if people who were in the stands last night ad were complaining about the noise tried this

Advertisement