Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bruce Springsteen General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

What a concert!!! Bruce was amazing.

I'm not a Bono fan but I really enjoyed him singing with Bruce.

anna080 wrote: »
    I don't begrudge him anything, he deserves his success; but if I paid to see Bruce on stage it's Bruce alone I'd want to see

Sorry, but that seems very self-entitled in this instance. Artists/Bands having a peer join them onstage for a song when playing in their hometown is nothing new to the concert experience. Is it just because it was Bono? Bruce and Bono are good friends and it's The Boss's show.

I'm not a Bono fan, but you'd swear the man was the reason it rains so much in Ireland for all the shíte he gets. If I was at the concert tonight and Bono came out, I wouldn't have pissed myself, but wouldn't have been offended either. Plus, it was 'Because the Night', hardly a rarity for regular Bruce concert goers. If he had Bono or anyone else to guest on 'Jungleland' or something, there might be something to get a bit disappointed about.

Bad sound - genuine cause for complaint.

Bruce having a legendary vocalist, objectively speaking, come and join him for one singalong in the midst of a 32 song set - I don't think Aiken will be addressing this with a statement tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭madalig12

Murder Inc. Rocked my world. Great show.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

Cant blame Aiken Promotions in any way for tonight, its a terrible stadium and always has been for years, they supply the demand. The demand is a terrible stadium its what we got.

3 concerts there and not one has been good

So dissapointed for my first time see him and spending 140 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

From upper Cusack, halfway back, it was good, not great. Sound wasn't the best, if I didn't know the sings (as the majority around me didn't) I'd probably be disappointed. I couldn't put my finger on it but I think those speakers in the middle if the pitch were a major contributor to the sound issues - I think they were slightly out of sync.

Anyway, first and last time sitting at a gig. The pit looked awesome....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Went to both the Friday and Sunday concert's.

Fantastic setlist for both nights, i think somebody said we had over 40 different songs from the 2 nights?

Thankfully I did not experience any issues with the sound, queued up from around 11 each morning to get into the pit, well worth making a day of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Ye you need to be in pit for Croke PK gigs. It's just too vast. Truly awesome in there tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,178 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Dero123 wrote: »
    The rumour is that he has a solo album ready to go as soon as this tour is out of the way.

Even if it were true I don't think it would be the 3, I still think as a solo it would be somewhere like the Aviva, which is in fairness a lot better for live music so wouldn't be as bad, just prefer the crowd at smaller events more often then not.

I wish we had Jungleland and a couple of the others from Friday so it certainly balances out I'd say, an awful lot of the same songs actually overall though, which isn't always the way.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

Not 100% but think it was around 7.10 .

Started at 7.04 ended at 10.16 ...

Amazing stuff.
    Best Springsteen gig I was ever at, probably cos I got to be at the front of the regular area - right in front of mini stage.

When he opened with Incident on 57th Street I was welling up - so emotional and amazing solo performance.

Youngstown , Independence Day .. Born in The USA ... Because the night - incredible stuff ..

I got to shake the mans hand .. I will cherish this night forever !!!
    27240566522_e79430d25e_c.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Really poor form from the promoters, telling people it was over with a good few songs left

What was that?

Started at 7.04 ended at 10.16 ...

Got it in 1.

I am not certain how many Springsteen gigs I've been at but its probably around 15 or 16 and I think thats the best one yet. Mind you I was in the pit fairly central and not in the stand. The atmosphere is so much different in the pit in comparison to the stand especially on a nice dry day like that.

I was in the stand on Friday and really enjoyed it and was in one of the better areas for sound. Great setlist also on Friday but tonight trumped it as a gig overall.

I am not a Bono fan and haven't gone to see U2 since the eighties but I was delighted to see him on stage with Bruce in Dublin. Pople are entitled to their opinion but it beats me how their rendition of Because The Nightcould possibly be seen as detracting from the gig in any way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Great day out. If I wasn't a fan before, I certainly am now. Here's a picture I took that I quite like.

GOnX1Yul.jpg

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

After tonight i am very tempted to grab tickets and flights to NJ in August

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

..if I paid to see Bruce on stage it's Bruce alone I'd want to see

Ah come on. Surely a guest vocalist on one song just adds to a gig, not subtract from it, plus they had already played 'Because The Night' on Friday. Don't get me wrong, I was hoping when Bruce said he was bringing on another local lad or whatever, that he was referring to Glen and we were about to get yet another excellent version of 'Drive all Night' (just like in Kilkenny) but sure wasn't to be.

With Bruce, Stevie and Bono on stage together, thought we might even get a rendition of Sin City! :P

One thing that did annoy me about the whole Bono thing though was that for three to four songs beforehand, they roped off a path for him to leave the stage and walk through the pit. Was a pain in the arse for people for a good twenty minutes or so as staff stood right in front of everyone near the rope pretty much blocking their view of the stage.

Oh and they put the feckin houselights on again last night as soon as it started to get remotely dark. What the hell is that all about. Only really ever seen that happen at indoor gigs when a band is going over the curfew and it's the venue's way of saying get off the stage (Pearl Jam @ The Point for example).

After tonight i am very tempted to grab tickets and flights to NJ in August

And NJ would be really special !!!

Curious here, was the Friday night show slightly longer ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭mattser

Sound was no problem on half way line. Where does he get the energy ? I'm pretty sure no other artist could do that gig without a half hour break in the middle.
    On the downside, my water bottle was de-capped on the way in. They had no problem with people bouncing off others after their dozen lagers though. And there was no shortage of the wasters.

mattser wrote: »
    Sound was no problem on half way line. Where does he get the energy ? I'm pretty sure no other artist could do that gig without a half hour break in the middle.
    On the downside, my water bottle was de-capped on the way in. They had no problem with people bouncing off others after their dozen lagers though. And there was no shortage of the wasters.

I walked past a few pissheads allright, lucky for me where I was the crowd was really good , drinking yes but enjoying themselves without annoyance to others.

I saw some people get medical attention as well, on the way out paramedics were helping some lad that could barely stand, just don't understand it, the best gig in the year and he won't remember much :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Ah come on. Surely a guest vocalist on one song just adds to a gig, not subtract from it, plus they had already played 'Because The Night' on Friday. Don't get me wrong, I was hoping when Bruce said he was bringing on another local lad or whatever, that he was referring to Glen and we were about to get yet another excellent version of 'Drive all Night' (just like in Kilkenny) but sure wasn't to be.

With Bruce, Stevie and Bono on stage together, thought we might even get a rendition of Sin City! :P

One thing that did annoy me about the whole Bono thing though was that for three to four songs beforehand, they roped off a path for him to leave the stage and walk through the pit. Was a pain in the arse for people for a good twenty minutes or so as staff stood right in front of everyone near the rope pretty much blocking their view of the stage.

Oh and they put the feckin houselights on again last night as soon as it started to get remotely dark. What the hell is that all about. Only really ever seen that happen at indoor gigs when a band is going over the curfew and it's the venue's way of saying get off the stage (Pearl Jam @ The Point for example).

Okay maybe I should clarify. I've no gripe with anyone joining anyone on stage; but they should sing something that's not already on the setlist. If they had sang a U2 song together, or some old Irish tune, fair enough. I in particular was looking forward to Bruce singing Because the night, because he rarely ever sings it, I stated that last week in this thread, so I'm glad I was there on Friday so see him sing that solo. If I'd have been there for it last night, I would have been a tad disappointed, but I still would have rocked it out like I did on Friday, it wouldn't have ruined my night or anything. So to clarify, I realise artists have guests join them on stage all the time, and I've no problem with this, but I think they should sing something that's not already on the setlist and not something that the audience would perhaps have been looking forward to hearing solo.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 hmw

Pit got dangerousley overcrowed after 9. They must have let a few thousand in who has nor qued. Aiken should do something about the poster. They should be removed after an hour. One poster destroyed the concert for me and many others ( looking for tundercrack). Even kept it up during born to run & dancing in the dark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

but they should sing something that's not already on the setlist.

And then some would complain that they had gone to Bruce to hear his songs, not others songs. Lots of people would have been thrilled to see another internationally renown singer. You just can't please everyone.

And, he might not have sung that song otherwise on Sunday night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

One question - from not the most experienced concert goer (last concert I was at was Michael Jackson in Cork, as a kid)...

Why was there a constant stream of people walking in a line away from the stage, along the hoardings of the Cussack stand.

It was constant, and they just seemed to disappear towards the other end of the arena.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

Found keys last night. To a 06 Seat I think. Anyone looking for them pm me!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭s8n

Serious amount of boiling piss in here...

Here's my two cents..

The man puts on a great show, truly magnificent showman.

Bonos cameo was pretty cool.

The signs are head melting and annoying

Security was non existent during the show and too much shoulder surfing which blocks other people's views

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Wasn't at either gigs as I'm not a fan, but the sound issues at Croke park seem to be a common theme for gigs there, I have only been at one gig there (Chilli Peppers) and the sound wasn't wonderful for them either, although they never sound great in massive arenas.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Curious here, was the Friday night show slightly longer ?

Yep, by about half an hour, I'd say. Think Bruce was struggling with the voice a bit by Sunday (he did mention it in passing once or twice during the gig)

Thoroughly enjoyed the two nights, although the Monday morning blues have firmly set in now. But to the steward who wanted €20 from me for a pit pass on Sunday, go fcuk yourself.

One question - from not the most experienced concert goer (last concert I was at was Michael Jackson in Cork, as a kid)...

Why was there a constant stream of people walking in a line away from the stage, along the hoardings of the Cussack stand.

It was constant, and they just seemed to disappear towards the other end of the arena.

Id imagine going for a piss, Its a good 20-30 minutes you will be away from your spot , dont understand why people drink at concerts.

I didn't even have water, missed nothing was standing in the same spot from 1630-2220

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭s8n

blastman wrote: »
    Yep, by about half an hour, I'd say. Think Bruce was struggling with the voice a bit by Sunday (he did mention it in passing once or twice during the gig)

Thoroughly enjoyed the two nights, although the Monday morning blues have firmly set in now. But to the steward who wanted €20 from me for a pit pass on Sunday, go fcuk yourself.

Pretty cheap if it saves you the quite ridiculous queuing and roll call !!

Advertisement