Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bruce Springsteen General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

blastman wrote: »
    But to the steward who wanted €20 from me for a pit pass on Sunday, go fcuk yourself.

Did you get to see what security company he was with? Frontline, Eventsec or Sword Security?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I'd say the shows averaged at around the same length. Friday he started at 7:20 and ended at 10:50
    Sunday he started at 7:03 and ended at 10:25
    No?

Id imagine going for a piss, Its a good 20-30 minutes you will be away from your spot , dont understand why people drink at concerts.

I didn't even have water, missed nothing was standing in the same spot from 1630-2220

That's what I thought, but they all seemed to come from the Pit area - can you get back in if you leave?

I don't understand the drinking thing either. I went for the music, didn't need any other stimulus.

Grand if that's what you want.

anna080 wrote: »
    I'd say the shows averaged at around the same length. Friday he started at 7:20 and ended at 10:50
    No?

I would have put it slightly earlier, ending closer to 10:45 on Friday. So, very similar time wise if that's the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭clickhere

One question - from not the most experienced concert goer (last concert I was at was Michael Jackson in Cork, as a kid)...

Why was there a constant stream of people walking in a line away from the stage, along the hoardings of the Cussack stand.

It was constant, and they just seemed to disappear towards the other end of the arena.

They were going to the toilets, or more drink.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Friday and Sunday were my eighteenth and nineteenth Springsteen shows. I thought both were great, but Sunday is probably in my top five, possibly even top three. Incident on 57th Street for the first time ever on the island and three from Greetings (including the great narrative during Growin' Up). Plus the full band version of Youngstown, Murder Incorporated, acoustic Thunder Road, all of which would have been on my "dream setlist". It was as good as I've ever seen him.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,802 ✭✭✭hynesie08

After tonight i am very tempted to grab tickets and flights to NJ in August

I already have. Frank Turner, summerslam and Springsteen all in a 5 day period.

Didn't hate the bono thing as much as I should have, but he could have learned the words like.

hynesie08 wrote: »
    I already have. Frank Turner, summerslam and Springsteen all in a 5 day period.

Didn't hate the bono thing as much as I should have, but he could have learned the words like.

Noticed that alright on periscope. He mumbled the verse then blasted the chorus

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

One question - from not the most experienced concert goer (last concert I was at was Michael Jackson in Cork, as a kid)...

Why was there a constant stream of people walking in a line away from the stage, along the hoardings of the Cussack stand.

It was constant, and they just seemed to disappear towards the other end of the arena.

This stood out to me too although I was in the Cusack and could see a similar stream in front of the Hogan heading back to the rear corner. Some people were just there as if it was a festival and a day out in the sun on the lash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

No?

I made a point of checking , last night was 7.04-10.16.

I was a little disappointed as he did 3.5 hours in camp nou, I expected something similar - anyway cannot complain had an amazing spot and it was a phenomenal set list.

Also I missed Atlantic City ..

• Advertisement

Friday and Sunday were my eighteenth and nineteenth Springsteen shows. I thought both were great, but Sunday is probably in my top five, possibly even top three. Incident on 57th Street for the first time ever on the island and three from Greetings (including the great narrative during Growin' Up). Plus the full band version of Youngstown, Murder Incorporated, acoustic Thunder Road, all of which would have been on my "dream setlist". It was as good as I've ever seen him.

I still get emotional just thinking of the Incident on 57th st. opening ..

I'd love if they released a bluRay of this concert.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,591 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

Wow. What a weekend 1000 mile trip to see connacht win final. 7 hour trip back to belfast to get back for sunday.
    Got to stadium standing had to go all around stadium to get in. Got in 6pm got spot after t shirt stand. There were some pissheads but not too many. Had no ale wanted to enjoy gig in full. First gig where to start the energy is amazing. Like tom petty withe heartbreakers the e street band is epic.
    It was annoying that lots talked over slower songs but happily the audio was so loud hou could not here them!
    Indepence day, incorporated, youngstown, because the night my favourites.
    I agree his energy is amazing i remember a rolling stones gig where jagger went into an oxygen tent for the intervil!
    First time gig yep ye were right beyond special wil happily now over next few months start really getting more albums. I am in the cult now lads!

It was the same on Friday. I went to the toilet mid concert and there was a group of girls sitting outside on the ground, they had set up shop with their drinks and weren't budging. What is the point in spending all that money to just go and sit in the sunshine? I wouldn't mind but they had pit passes as well, but spent all their time sitting beside the bar on the ground. I literally ran to the toilet and ran back and was like that's it now I'm not budging for the night. I'd say some people won tickets or something because they couldn't have had less of an interest in being there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Okay maybe I should clarify. I've no gripe with anyone joining anyone on stage; but they should sing something that's not already on the setlist. If they had sang a U2 song together, or some old Irish tune, fair enough. I in particular was looking forward to Bruce singing Because the night, because he rarely ever sings it, I stated that last week in this thread, so I'm glad I was there on Friday so see him sing that solo. If I'd have been there for it last night, I would have been a tad disappointed, but I still would have rocked it out like I did on Friday, it wouldn't have ruined my night or anything. So to clarify, I realise artists have guests join them on stage all the time, and I've no problem with this, but I think they should sing something that's not already on the setlist and not something that the audience would perhaps have been looking forward to hearing solo.

Fair enough point. i saw it both nights and enjoyed both versions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Jentle Grenade

My fourth Bruce gig, first in Ireland. My partner is a serious Bruce fan and last night was her fifteenth concert. I think it was my favourite set list wise for sure. Incident on 57th Street made me a little teary, not gonna lie :) We were pretty far back on the pitch but we had a great spot and really enjoyed the night. There was a lot of genuinely drunk people by us, falling over etc which only makes me feel bad for the genuine fans who missed out on tickets. The energy of Bruce and the E Street Band was incredible. I'm a big fan of Jake myself and I thought he was amazing last night.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

s8n wrote: »

Security was non existent during the show and too much shoulder surfing which blocks other people's views

Some of the signs were ridic. I was about 6 feet back from the pit barrier and there was a guy with an A4 sign that kept blocking my view. I asked him to take it down and he did. But the ones in the pit looked crazy - big fold out epic ones. Very annoying and should deffo have been confiscated.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭ankaragucu

Some observations on the weekend.Seated in block 302 lower Cusack on the Friday.Too lateral to the stage and sound dodgy.After five songs we said to hell with that, walked down the concourse to block 305 went down to the front row and jumped over the wall onto the pitch.View and sound much better.Tougher Than The Rest a highlight.
    Sunday we had standing tickets, joined the queue in the Davin car park at 1pm.When we got into the pit about 20 yards from stage, I noticed the lady beside me had red number 1002 on her hand, the lad the other side of us had number 699!IMO the roll call is a bit silly.2 days of turning up to check in and we end up amongst those numbers anyway.I dont get it.
    The sound up front was great and nice and loud too.Not a Bono fan but had no problems with him coming on and joining in on BTN.At least he had the good grace to give Bruce the 'I'm not worthy' salute when he was introduced and to be fair he made a good fist of the song though he didnt seem to quite know all the words.
    Just on the house lights coming on for the last hour or so.Maybe its to aid the giant video screens?The crowd scenes are quite an important aspect of the whole video presentation of the show and well, if the crowd werent illuminated you wouldnt have that.
    Two great nights, he's without doubt the greatest performer of our era.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

I agree, I need to figure how many I've been to but its very similar to yours. I think that was the closest I've been to the stage and, with the setlist he played, I reckon it's the best Bruce gig I've been at and in my top 5 overall.

However, I have spoken to a few that were really disappointed with the sound in various parts of the stand. That is a real bummer especially paying €130 for the privilege. Someone said earlier that they wouldnt blame Aiken but someone had to make the decision to move from the RDS to Croker and they would have had a major part in that decision along with Bruce / Landau. Major arm twisting from the GAA I'd say after losing Garth Brooks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,819 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Sound is always patchy in Croker. Particularly in the stands. Its an odd stadium for acoustics with the Hill the way it is and the other three sides partially covered with a gap. Could play 100 gigs there and there will always be issues somewhere.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

Sunday is probably in my top five, possibly even top three. Incident on 57th Street for the first time ever on the island and three from Greetings (including the great narrative during Growin' Up). Plus the full band version of Youngstown, Murder Incorporated, acoustic Thunder Road, all of which would have been on my "dream setlist". It was as good as I've ever seen him.

Are you me? That pretty much sums up my view as well. The first 90 minutes seemed very rocky, much more in your face than previous gigs, almost punky in spots. I was towards the front of the pitch, left side, and the sound was generally OK, but some of the high-frequency sounds were a bit blurry. Born to Run was a bit cacophonous, to be honest. When he was talking about his Irish granny, there was a distinct echo of his words coming off the back walls. Prof Roy is such a musical asset to the band, he really brings out the best in all those songs, they'd be lost without him. Am I right in thinking that he had a much bigger band in 2012? I think I recall a whole brass section and about 6 backing singers (3 guys, 3 gals).

He has amazing energy, as does the whole band, but you have to feel sorry for Max - 3+ hours of lashing it out, he must have some arm and shoulder muscles. Bruce seemed to do a bit less running around than in previous years, very few of the dashes from one side of the stage to the other, just more gentle dancing across.

Bruce also seemed a bit emotional at times, as if he was steeling himself between songs or gaps to keep going. Before Thunder Road, he said something like "let's see if we can get through this". I was wondering if there was something going on, maybe he knows it is the final tour with the band?

The crowd around me were decent, just the odd fool pushing through. I was amazed to see people's determination to stock up on bottles of pi$$, despite the pain of regular trips out to buy them and to queue for the loo. As we were walking out at the end, I spotted two lads beside me, each with 7/8ths full bottles of pi$$ mooching out. The queue for the ladies seemed crazy. I spotted two young ladies literally hopping from one foot to the other and begging a security guy to let them skip the queue.

Tears flowed during Thunder Road for me, just amazing. I'd love to get a quality audio recording (not a bootleg bloke with people yapping around him) of that version.

As for the Bono thing, I guess the joke was on me.
    PTH2009 wrote: »
    Sad they didn't sort out the sound after receiving so many negative reports after Friday's show
    Short of knocking down the stadium, there is not much they could do, I suspect.
    I'd love to see him do a solo tour over the next couple of years, in the 3Arena ideally though I doubt it is likely.
    I wouldn't be at all surprised if the next tour is solo, or something without the band.

hynesie08 wrote: »
    I thought he was looking at a tele-prompter or cheat sheet for the words at one stage.
    blastman wrote: »
    But to the steward who wanted €20 from me for a pit pass on Sunday, go fcuk yourself.
    Pity you couldn't find a way to rat him out, or get him on camera. That's really low.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Upper Cusack last night (704) firstly zero issues with sound, close to perfect as you're gonna get!

That setlist.. so many high points! opening with incident, independence day, point break was beautiful I thought.. ending on acoustic thunder road was amazing as well!

I actually thought Bono was a nice touch too! Coulda learned the words a little better, but still thought it was a nice moment..

One gripe though.. the continuous flow of people to the bar.. it's staggering!! Pay 130odd for a ticket, to spend 90% of the main set in a bar on ****e overpriced beer.. i just cant see the appeal..

Didn't quite top Thomond, but as always, Bruce never disappoints!

Pity you couldn't find a way to rat him out, or get him on camera. That's really low.

To be fair, I would have paid E20 for a pitt pass if it prevented all that queing

To be fair, I would have paid E20 for a pitt pass if it prevented all that queing

As would I have but no need to be queuing all day. Got there at 3pm yesterday, had a pit pass at 3.05pm and headed off to the pub. Came back after 6 and walked into the pit.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭clickhere

Wow. What a weekend 1000 mile trip to see connacht win final. 7 hour trip back to belfast to get back for sunday.
    Got to stadium standing had to go all around stadium to get in. Got in 6pm got spot after t shirt stand. There were some pissheads but not too many. Had no ale wanted to enjoy gig in full. First gig where to start the energy is amazing. Like tom petty withe heartbreakers the e street band is epic.
    It was annoying that lots talked over slower songs but happily the audio was so loud hou could not here them!
    Indepence day, incorporated, youngstown, because the night my favourites.
    I agree his energy is amazing i remember a rolling stones gig where jagger went into an oxygen tent for the intervil!
    First time gig yep ye were right beyond special wil happily now over next few months start really getting more albums. I am in the cult now lads!

If Carlsberg did weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Tears flowed during Thunder Road for me, just amazing. I'd love to get a quality audio recording (not a bootleg bloke with people yapping around him) of that version.

What really got me about Thunder Road was Bruce "doing" the sax part at the end. It added a real poignancy to it. I knew the crowd would take it up, and I thought he'd leave them to it, but he wrung every bit out of it with a sort of resigned melancholy, completely twisting the epic finale into something much more understated and - as such - making it even more powerful. It was stunning. I always loved when he'd do it with just him and Roy, like when they opened Hyde Park with it, but last night was killer.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

but1er wrote: »
    Cant blame Aiken Promotions in any way for tonight, its a terrible stadium and always has been for years, they supply the demand. The demand is a terrible stadium its what we got.

3 concerts there and not one has been good
    You can certainly blame them for chosing the stadium. People are not demanding shite sound. It is supply & demand, they know they will be able to sell out even in a crap venue and so take advantage of people. Churn out any auld crap and they have to make do, like the beer situation at most gigs.

I have given up on outdoor gigs, Springsteen & the stones are 2 I would still consider it for, as I like them, and there is little chance of them playing better places. I was considering going on sunday but was too wary of the sound.

rubadub wrote: »
    I was considering going on sunday but was too wary of the sound.

Easily fixed. Stand in front of the sound desk. Always pretty good sound there. Last night was perfect.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

I might too, but it's not his to sell. That's graft.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭s8n

The crowd around me were decent, just the odd fool pushing through. I was amazed to see people's determination to stock up on bottles of pi$$, despite the pain of regular trips out to buy them and to queue for the loo. As we were walking out at the end, I spotted two lads beside me, each with 7/8ths full bottles of pi$$ mooching out. The queue for the ladies seemed crazy. I spotted two young ladies literally hopping from one foot to the other and begging a security guy to let them skip the queue.

You mean Beer, right ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Did you get to see what security company he was with? Frontline, Eventsec or Sword Security?

I didn't, to be honest...

Advertisement