Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bruce Springsteen General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

hynesie08 wrote: »
    I already have. Frank Turner, summerslam and Springsteen all in a 5 day period.

Didn't hate the bono thing as much as I should have, but he could have learned the words like.

Did I meet you at the merch stand in the ground on Friday, you were wearing a Frank Turner shirt? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Once we hopped the barrier onto the pitch, the sound quality increased by 1000%. I will never ever pay for seating tickets at Croker again. The sound on the pitch was flawless while you miss out on a lot of range and the sound is quite muddy in the stands.

As for the gig - I was completely and utterly blown away. Had seen him in Belgium maybe 6 years ago but this was in another league. The guy is a pro and I honestly cant think of a single touring act who could produce that kind of show nowadays. It all get very spiritual for the that rendition of thunder road. People were literally weeping. A class act and a pure pro. He puts 99.9% of rock n roll performers to shame.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

I already have. Frank Turner, summerslam and Springsteen all in a 5 day period.

Oh jaysus that sounds even more tempting ha

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Lads, if people want to drink and get pissed at gigs, let them. What's the point of bemoaning ho much money they've wasted? It's not as if it was yours they spent and it has virtually no impact on you whatsoever, apart from a bit of chatter going on. Which they're also entitled to do if they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Lads, if people want to drink and get pissed at gigs, let them. What's the point of bemoaning ho much money they've wasted? It's not as if it was yours they spent and it has virtually no impact on you whatsoever, apart from a bit of chatter going on. Which they're also entitled to do if they want.

I would disagree about being entitled to chat if it's affecting other peoples ability to listen to the show they paid for. If you want to spend the whole time chatting go to the back and stand by the bar or something.

That said, I was quite close to the front and there wasn't much chatting or messing so was happy, great gig.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

I disagree - I don't want to be in a confined space with people falling down drunk, bumping into me, hanging out of me, puking, fighting, smoking, add glass bottles to the mix and it's a recipe for disaster.

Let them up to the Phoenix Park with a boom box and some Dutch Gold - don't ruin the day for the rest of us

I would disagree about being entitled to chat if it's affecting other peoples ability to listen to the show they paid for. If you want to spend the whole time chatting go to the back and stand by the bar or something.

That said, I was quite close to the front and there wasn't much chatting or messing so was happy, great gig.

Unless they spend three hours screeching and roaring at the top of their voices, they're highly unlikely to distract you enough to prevent you from hearing a song.

People whinging about it are as bad as the "ssssh!" lads at rugby matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,802 ✭✭✭hynesie08

blastman wrote: »
    Did I meet you at the merch stand in the ground on Friday, you were wearing a Frank Turner shirt? :)

Thought that was you when you mentioned the barrowlands. Nice to put a face to the username.

I disagree - I don't want to be in a confined space with people falling down drunk, bumping into me, hanging out of me, puking, fighting, smoking, add glass bottles to the mix and it's a recipe for disaster.

Let them up to the Phoenix Park with a boom box and some Dutch Gold - don't ruin the day for the rest of us

If people are getting absolutely obliterated and are doing any of the above, then yes, by all means give out about it. It'd ruin my day too. Well, maybe you should make allowance for the fact you're going to get bumped into a bit.

If all they're doing is drinking and causing people no issues other than annoying the preachy "they're not being reverent enough of the Boss" brigade by failing to sing along with every last word, then let them be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭s8n

What else would they feel all superior about then ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,819 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Course they're entitled to do it but they're just being dicks. Chatting very loudly over Bruce while hes speaking to the crowd/playing a quiet song etc. No consideration for others.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Don't know how many times I've seen Springsteen through the years, 20+ but last night's gig was the worst one, still better than most other bands though. I was in Hogan Lower, and the sound was attrocious, the band were well into most songs before I could even work out what they were. Its only the second time I've had a seat at a Springsteen gig, so that may have had something to do with it as well, but I took my Mum to Wembley Stadium in 1988 and we were in the stands, and had a blast.

I really hope he does a solo tour next, and that it is heavily promoted as such, so that the people who were there last night just to get drunk, with no interest in the music don't bother buying tickets. The majority of people around me, and at the back of the pitch that I could see, knew very few of the songs, only those that are played on the radio regularly. It felt like it didn't really get going until about 3/4 of the way through, which is when people finally stood up. I know I sound like I'm up my own arse, but it was so frustrating to see people on the pitch staggering around, with no idea of how lucky they were to be there, and to have the chance to experience an ESB gig. The constant river of people leaving the pitch was unreal, it wasn't just a stream. Its not about feeling superior, but I didn't manage to get a ticket, only for a friend giving me hers, I wouldn't have been able to go last night, and there are other Bruce fans who didn't get to go because the tickets sold out so quickly.

I cried during Thunder Road, and Bruce seemed very emotional at the end, as if, as other posters have said, it was the end of something, perhaps the last time the ESB will play in Ireland.

I also teared up during 10th Avenue Freezeout, with the video montage, but Jake was brilliant, he has stepped into his Uncle's huge shoes so incredibly well. Not just a great sax player, but a real entertainer as well. Was great to see Nils doing his twirling, thank god for hip surgery :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Great show last night I thought.

- I was in Cusack 307 and had some fears during the first 2/3 songs about the sound but there was a notable improvement at that stage and I can't say I had any further issues beyond then.

- Set list was very good last night. Have to say there were a few tracks I'd have preferred from Friday (Darkness..., Bobby Jean, Jungleland, This Hard Land) but the likes of Independence Day, Darlington County, Murder Inc., were just superb so on balance i can't be disappointed.

- Enjoyed Bono's input - can't understand the hate, honestly. Is it just because its Bono? Successful musician and friend of the band joins them on stage for one song in his home town - I really do think if this was anyone/where else, people would be all over it.

- Re: the crowd - pretty decent around me. I could see the hordes moving around on the pitch though, and half the Cusack stand just hopped the wall due to the appallingly lax stewards who literally shrugged their shoulders on a few occasions...

- On the drinking, talking, etc - I don't care what you do at a gig once it doesn't impact on someone else having fun too. You talking means I can't hear. **** it, spend the night shooting up if you want - once I don't miss the gig because of it!!

- I wouldn't rush back to Croker for a gig, but I've been to way worse venues. Better organisation than Pairc Ui Caoimh, Phoenix Park or Slane, for e.g.

- That was Bruce gig #4 for me. Here's to the next few!!

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭ankaragucu

Always great to see Nils do his twirls!
    I'm inclined to disagree with a few people here, yes Bruce was emotional during the wonderful Thunder Road but he DID say "We'll be seeing ya" at the very end, which suggests to me that they'll be back......

• Registered Users Posts: 38,417 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Getting worried it may be the last time we might see the Bruce and the ESB in full in Ireland.

I'm probably putting 2 together but with the rumours of Bruce getting emotional and him visiting a local hospital Saturday unsettle me a bit. Although he could of been just visiting someone or having his vocal chords or back checked

A solo tour in 2017/18 with a few dates in the 3arena would be unreal with tickets selling like hot cakes (although u2 tickets for last Nov were to be found if u really really wanted them).

I could only imagine what the Garth Brooks shows would of been like in terms of disinterested drunken people, self entitled middle aged women, cowboy hats etc.

Besides u2, maybe guns n roses and the rolling stones what other rock band would sell out Croke Park ???. Popular teen/pop artists such as 1d, ed sheeran, westlife, Adele would could sell out the place. Garth Brooks prob would, Fleetwood Mac, Bon Jovi, Paul McCartney would sell very well there but nothing extraordinary.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Was in upper Davin. When he started with Incident on 57th Street I thought it sounded ok but once the band came on then the sound when downhill. Went down to Customer care during It's Hard to Be a Saint and told them how bad sound was...they were adamant that all problems were resolved but I told them it was still bad. Anyhow, the sent us down to Ticketmaster and fair play to them, they got a steward to bring us on to pitch. Sound was far better on pitch (although i do think it was abit muffled at times, so I think not all blame lies with croke park).
    Gutted I missed The Ties That Bind & Sherry Darling but was worth it to have rest of show pitch side.
    Higlights for me were Murder Incorporated, The Promised Land Darlington County but hard to pick as was a great gig

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

LowOdour wrote: »
    Was in upper Davin. When he started with Incident on 57th Street I thought it sounded ok but once the band came on then the sound when downhill. Went down to Customer care during It's Hard to Be a Saint and told them how bad sound was...they were adamant that all problems were resolved but I told them it was still bad. Anyhow, the sent us down to Ticketmaster and fair play to them, they got a steward to bring us on to pitch. Sound was far better on pitch (although i do think it was abit muffled at times, so I think not all blame lies with croke park).
    Gutted I missed The Ties That Bind & Sherry Darling but was worth it to have rest of show pitch side.
    Higlights for me were Murder Incorporated, The Promised Land Darlington County but hard to pick as was a great gig

Well done, didn't realise there was customer care, or ticketmaster on site, good to know for future events (not at Croke Park though, don't think I'd bother with another gig there) Glad you got it sorted :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Getting worried it may be the last time we might see the Bruce and the ESB in full in Ireland.

I'm probably putting 2 together but with the rumours of Bruce getting emotional and him visiting a local hospital Saturday unsettle me a bit. Although he could of been just visiting someone or having his vocal chords or back checked
    :eek: I hope not !!

How reliable are these ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

muddypaws wrote: »
    Don't know how many times I've seen Springsteen through the years, 20+ but last night's gig was the worst one, still better than most other bands though. I was in Hogan Lower, and the sound was attrocious, the band were well into most songs before I could even work out what they were. Its only the second time I've had a seat at a Springsteen gig, so that may have had something to do with it as well, but I took my Mum to Wembley Stadium in 1988 and we were in the stands, and had a blast.

I really hope he does a solo tour next, and that it is heavily promoted as such, so that the people who were there last night just to get drunk, with no interest in the music don't bother buying tickets. The majority of people around me, and at the back of the pitch that I could see, knew very few of the songs, only those that are played on the radio regularly. It felt like it didn't really get going until about 3/4 of the way through, which is when people finally stood up. I know I sound like I'm up my own arse, but it was so frustrating to see people on the pitch staggering around, with no idea of how lucky they were to be there, and to have the chance to experience an ESB gig. The constant river of people leaving the pitch was unreal, it wasn't just a stream. Its not about feeling superior, but I didn't manage to get a ticket, only for a friend giving me hers, I wouldn't have been able to go last night, and there are other Bruce fans who didn't get to go because the tickets sold out so quickly.

I cried during Thunder Road, and Bruce seemed very emotional at the end, as if, as other posters have said, it was the end of something, perhaps the last time the ESB will play in Ireland.

I also teared up during 10th Avenue Freezeout, with the video montage, but Jake was brilliant, he has stepped into his Uncle's huge shoes so incredibly well. Not just a great sax player, but a real entertainer as well. Was great to see Nils doing his twirling, thank god for hip surgery :)

The whole ticketmaster monopoly is a big issue, I was talking to several people over the last few days who got tickets in the initial release for friday from friends or family working for ticketmaster. That and the extortion of seatwave does not lend to any sort of fairness in ticket distribution.

That said i did hear of a number of tickets becoming available in the least week or so. It's a pity you missed out on the atmpsphere at the front because a few people i know that are on 20+ gigs really enjoyed last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

PTH2009 wrote: »

A solo tour in 2017/18 with a few dates in the 3arena would be unreal with tickets selling like hot cakes (although u2 tickets for last Nov were to be found if u really really wanted them).

I was thinking about this and his comment "We'll be seeing ya". I think that, at this stage he just doesnt know. I suspect he has no plans to return and realises that they are all getting on for producing this type of show, I also suspect that he may have been influenced to extend the tour seeing so many artists passing on and the obvious fact that he wont be in a position to do this in this format for too many years.

There has been quite a bit of emotion in his last couple of irish gigs, remember This Hard Land on the Sunday in Kilkenny.

So, here's hoping that they all stay healthy. Rumours of a new album also.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

I was looking at the stage and thinking some amount of work must go into building it and taking it all apart - do they rent most of the gear locally or ship it with the tour ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,819 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Bruce and Patti were in St Vincents Hospital on Saturday afternoon. She was sick and said so on her Instagram. Nothing to worry about.
    I was looking at the stage and thinking some amount of work must go into building it and taking it all apart - do they rent most of the gear locally or ship it with the tour ?

Ship it. They have two rigs. One will be in Glasgow yesterday/now setting up and the Dublin one will be en route to the gig after Glasgow (which is Coventry) today.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Goreme

Once we hopped the barrier onto the pitch, the sound quality increased by 1000%. I will never ever pay for seating tickets at Croker again. The sound on the pitch was flawless while you miss out on a lot of range and the sound is quite muddy in the stands.

As for the gig - I was completely and utterly blown away. Had seen him in Belgium maybe 6 years ago but this was in another league. The guy is a pro and I honestly cant think of a single touring act who could produce that kind of show nowadays. It all get very spiritual for the that rendition of thunder road. People were literally weeping. A class act and a pure pro. He puts 99.9% of rock n roll performers to shame.
    Right about Thunder road. A Spanish Girl beside me was crying during TR alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Thought that was you when you mentioned the barrowlands. Nice to put a face to the username.

Likewise, small world!

Are you me? That pretty much sums up my view as well. The first 90 minutes seemed very rocky, much more in your face than previous gigs, almost punky in spots. I was towards the front of the pitch, left side, and the sound was generally OK, but some of the high-frequency sounds were a bit blurry. Born to Run was a bit cacophonous, to be honest. When he was talking about his Irish granny, there was a distinct echo of his words coming off the back walls. Prof Roy is such a musical asset to the band, he really brings out the best in all those songs, they'd be lost without him. Am I right in thinking that he had a much bigger band in 2012? I think I recall a whole brass section and about 6 backing singers (3 guys, 3 gals).

He has amazing energy, as does the whole band, but you have to feel sorry for Max - 3+ hours of lashing it out, he must have some arm and shoulder muscles. Bruce seemed to do a bit less running around than in previous years, very few of the dashes from one side of the stage to the other, just more gentle dancing across.

Bruce also seemed a bit emotional at times, as if he was steeling himself between songs or gaps to keep going. Before Thunder Road, he said something like "let's see if we can get through this". I was wondering if there was something going on, maybe he knows it is the final tour with the band?

The crowd around me were decent, just the odd fool pushing through. I was amazed to see people's determination to stock up on bottles of pi$$, despite the pain of regular trips out to buy them and to queue for the loo. As we were walking out at the end, I spotted two lads beside me, each with 7/8ths full bottles of pi$$ mooching out. The queue for the ladies seemed crazy. I spotted two young ladies literally hopping from one foot to the other and begging a security guy to let them skip the queue.

Tears flowed during Thunder Road for me, just amazing. I'd love to get a quality audio recording (not a bootleg bloke with people yapping around him) of that version.

As for the Bono thing, I guess the joke was on me.

Short of knocking down the stadium, there is not much they could do, I suspect.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the next tour is solo, or something without the band.

I thought he was looking at a tele-prompter or cheat sheet for the words at one stage.

Pity you couldn't find a way to rat him out, or get him on camera. That's really low.
    Its crazy, this may have been the the best concert(s) I've seen by the E Street band. I've seen them since Slane, and each time its better... that's mad. We were situated at the front of the outer pitch barrier (i.e., 12 feet behind the pit), and the sound was excellent, Hi-Fi quality, possibly best stadium sound I've heard. But agree with the observation that it was almost Punky... it was definately a total foot to the floor Rock gig. I heard them soundchecking Youndstown around 3.30pm, and that make my day... that was the ONE song I really wanted to hear... and they followed it up with a phenomenal Murder Inc... ending with loud dueling guitars... I agree with you... this was possibly the best set list I've seen, in that it was loud, heavy, fast and total commitment from start to finish... I also saw Friday night... and it was also a full on concert.... what a Man, what a Band! He will never stop playing live... that man if he lives into his 90s will still be playing live somewhere because you can see he lives for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭madalig12

Goreme wrote: »
    Its crazy, this may have been the the best concert(s) I've seen by the E Street band. I've seen them since Slane, and each time its better... that's mad. We were situated at the front of the outer pitch barrier (i.e., 12 feet behind the pit), and the sound was excellent, Hi-Fi quality, possibly best stadium sound I've heard. But agree with the observation that it was almost Punky... it was definately a total foot to the floor Rock gig. I heard them soundchecking Youndstown around 3.30pm, and that make my day... that was the ONE song I really wanted to hear... and they followed it up with a phenomenal Murder Inc... ending with loud dueling guitars... I agree with you... this was possibly the best set list I've seen, in that it was loud, heavy, fast and total commitment from start to finish... I also saw Friday night... and it was also a full on concert.... what a Man, what a Band! He will never stop playing live... that man if he lives into his 90s will still be playing live somewhere because you can see he lives for it.

They played the first few chords of Murder Inc. during that sound check...called it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

My 4th time seeing the Boss and I think I'd have to say it was the best of the lot so far!

Loved the Bono cameo (as a big U2 fan too) and bookending the gig with 2 solo Bruce performances was a treat.

Had no issues with sound standing on the pitch and thought the crowd where we were standing were well behaved and not too much chatter.

Top of my wish list now is an arena show but I can't see it happening with the demand being so high for the outdoor gigs.

rubadub wrote: »
    You can certainly blame them for chosing the stadium. People are not demanding shite sound. It is supply & demand, they know they will be able to sell out even in a crap venue and so take advantage of people. Churn out any auld crap and they have to make do, like the beer situation at most gigs.

I have given up on outdoor gigs, Springsteen & the stones are 2 I would still consider it for, as I like them, and there is little chance of them playing better places. I was considering going on sunday but was too wary of the sound.
    I was on the Pitch, behind the outer barrier on Friday and Sunday (i.e., behind the pit barrier), and I have to say the sound quality there was excellent. Loud, Hi-Fi quality even... the sound quality helped made it two phenomenal gigs for me.

dixiefly wrote: »
    I was thinking about this and his comment "We'll be seeing ya". I think that, at this stage he just doesnt know. I suspect he has no plans to return and realises that they are all getting on for producing this type of show, I also suspect that he may have been influenced to extend the tour seeing so many artists passing on and the obvious fact that he wont be in a position to do this in this format for too many years.

There has been quite a bit of emotion in his last couple of irish gigs, remember This Hard Land on the Sunday in Kilkenny.

So, here's hoping that they all stay healthy. Rumours of a new album also.
    His voice was cracking during the last few songs... so that's what he meant when he said he might not make it through Thunder Road vocally, and might need crowd help.
    I've also heard rumours that he has a solo acoustic album recorded and ready to go for when this tour finishes... so hold onto your hats for solo acoustic gigs in the autumn/winter/spring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

theteal wrote: »
    From upper Cusack, halfway back, it was good, not great. Sound wasn't the best, if I didn't know the sings (as the majority around me didn't) I'd probably be disappointed. I couldn't put my finger on it but I think those speakers in the middle if the pitch were a major contributor to the sound issues - I think they were slightly out of sync.

Anyway, first and last time sitting at a gig. The pit looked awesome....

Its the acoustics of croke park that are the problem, the sound bounces off everywhere, and you get a nasty echo. When Bruce was talking you could really hear the echo.
    Id imagine going for a piss, Its a good 20-30 minutes you will be away from your spot , dont understand why people drink at concerts.

I didn't even have water, missed nothing was standing in the same spot from 1630-2220

20-30 mins?? Not at all, I went to the toilet a few times, I was back in 5 mins (i was on the pitch). I stopped drinking from around 7:45, as I didn't want to be peeing all night! The queue for the ladies was a lot longer in fairness.

I really enjoyed the gig, I had tickets to the Nolan Park gig the last time he came, but I couldn't go in the end. In fairness, the sound wasn't great where I was (on the pitch, a little up from mid field on the hogan side), but thats to be expected in croke park. Enjoyed Bono, I thought they might do an Irish song, maybe something by Lizzy, but im not going to complain. Lots of drunk people around me, just talking over the whole gig, I had to move on a few occasions. I could hardly hear Bruce talk about the guitar his mum got him.

Why did the flood lights come on so early? I thought they would only come on after the gig was over?

Advertisement