Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bruce Springsteen General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Goreme

Two stadium shows in Croke Park is totally different to 2 shows in a 20,000 seater arena though.
    The guy wasn't concerned about the logistics of 80k people getting in and out twice on the day - the feasability of wasn't pursued, because he was concerned that he wouldn't be able to put the same emotional intensity into performing two shows on the same day.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,817 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

What does this even mean? What is a Garth style fan

People from Cavan, Longford, Westmeath, Offaly, Leitrim and Monaghan who travel down on the coach meaning they're on the piss from 9am, pink cowboy hats bought on arrival in addition to the USA headband they already have, think a hotdog in Croker is an exotic food stuff, love queuing for 30 minutes for a warm pint of Carlsberg, know about 3 of the acts songs, bring half of their belongings into the stadium and put them on the floor in a big pile and make a circle around it, make jokes about people not spilling their booze as they walk by, spend large portions of the gig with their backs to the stage dancing out of time, screaming out for songs that have already been played, wear Eagles RDS 1994 tour tshirts to non Eagles gigs, dangerously sunburned by 4pm, get annoyed that there isn't a Supermacs near the stadium after and piss in peoples gardens when they're stumbling back to their coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jossnjuice

The Nal wrote: »
    People from Cavan, Longford, Westmeath, Offaly, Leitrim and Monaghan who travel down on the coach meaning they're on the piss from 9am, pink cowboy hats bought on arrival in addition to the USA headband they already have, think a hotdog in Croker is an exotic food stuff, love queuing for 30 minutes for a warm pint of Carlsberg, know about 3 of the acts songs, bring half of their belongings into the stadium and put them on the floor in a big pile and make a circle around it, make jokes about people not spilling their booze as they walk by, spend large portions of the gig with their backs to the stage dancing out of time, screaming out for songs that have already been played, wear Eagles RDS 1994 tour tshirts to non Eagles gigs, dangerously sunburned by 4pm, get annoyed that there isn't a Supermacs near the stadium after and piss in peoples gardens when they're stumbling back to their coach.

so many nails and so many heads in the above rant........hate saying it, but fully agree........and tis not only Garth fans, its big Irish outdoor gigs in general these days

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭mattser

:D:D Class. E-Mail it to some of the papers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Callin Baton Rouge

I was at the Bruce gig over the weekend and apart from the Qs for the warm beer, I saw none of this. If these people pay €100 - €140 for a ticket, they can do what they like. Irish people need to lighten up, these events are supposed to be fun. You'd think the way you were talking that Dublin people were all well dressed, well behaved music experts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Dmartin22196

but1er wrote: »
    Cant blame Aiken Promotions in any way for tonight, its a terrible stadium and always has been for years, they supply the demand. The demand is a terrible stadium its what we got.

3 concerts there and not one has been good

So dissapointed for my first time see him and spending 140 euro.

It's far from a terrible stadium, it's a marvel, one of the finest in Europe. It wasn't built for concerts and so wasn't built with acoustics in mind. It was built to host GAA matches and you can not possibly beat the atmosphere at them. As a devout Bruce and GAA fan I knew the sound wasn't going to be good at the concert, unfortunately you didn't have the foresight to see this. Don't call the stadium terrible for this reason.

I was at the Bruce gig over the weekend and apart from the Qs for the warm beer, I saw none of this. If these people pay €100 - €140 for a ticket, they can do what they like. Irish people need to lighten up, these events are supposed to be fun. You'd think the way you were talking that Dublin people were all well dressed, well behaved music experts.

Hey look everyone - heres one of them!

In all seriousness I hope you got some aftersun on the coach home and were able to wash the puke out of your white tshirt and the piss out of your Lee jeans.

See mod-post 5232

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Dmartin22196

Curious here, was the Friday night show slightly longer ?

Nearly exactly 3hrs 30mins i had it at.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Callin Baton Rouge

Hey look everyone - heres one of them!

In all seriousness I hope you got some aftersun on the coach home and were able to wash the puke out of your white tshirt and the piss out of your Lee jeans.

lame attempts to be funny and personal abuse.. lovely combination. It looks like all the forums on boards.ie have turned into After Hours. I thought there might be serious Gig conversations going on here.. I was wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Kindly refrain from making antagonistic posts, all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Pit passes were gone by the time I arrived, I asked one of the security guards are there any to buy he quoted me 20. Happily paid it. Unreal gig and to be that close for an extra 5th of the price of the ticket was nothing to me for the memories.

That's fine and I'm glad you enjoyed the gig. I've been in the pit for SPringsteen gigs before and hopefully I will be again so I know it's a great experience. But IMO, staff with access to wrist bands take the pi55 when they charge for them and I don't want any part in encouraging that market.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

It's far from a terrible stadium, it's a marvel, one of the finest in Europe. It wasn't built for concerts and so wasn't built with acoustics in mind.
    It was blatantly obvious that he meant the acoustics were terrible, which you seem to agree with. Surely you don't think he meant terrible for GAA matches!
    As a devout Bruce and GAA fan I knew the sound wasn't going to be good at the concert, unfortunately you didn't have the foresight to see this.
    he did have the foresight, maybe not that it would be so bad, but he said he was at 2, maybe 3 gigs already which were bad so was well aware the risk he was taking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

you described thousands of people that were at the gig on sunday, including the USA Headbands

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

you described thousands of people that were at the gig on sunday, including the USA Headbands

True. Bruce himself stuck on a pink cowboy hat at one point.

Powerful snobbery these last few pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭mattser

Ciaran_B wrote: »
    True. Bruce himself stuck on a pink cowboy hat at one point.

Powerful snobbery these last few pages.

Reality more like, when it comes to the drink.

Powerful humour fails people, relax. Was only taking the p1ss!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

mattser wrote: »
    Reality more like, when it comes to the drink.

Its not just the artist that attracts the annoying drinking crowd, its mainly the venue and time of year/week. Any large outdoor summer gig (even more so if its a weekend) will have thousands of people that are going for a night out with their mates, and may only know a few hits from the artist (less in some cases!). If for example Bruce and the ESB did one night mid week in the 3 arena in November, then you would have just hardcore bruce fans there, and there would be no real queues at the bar! I'd imagine there were many people at Slane last year that just went for session, and knew 1 or 2 foo fighters songs, but that doesn't mean that the foo fighters attracts that kind of crowd!
    Powerful humour fails people, relax. Was only taking the p1ss!

fair enough!

I'd imagine there were many people at Slane last year that just went for session,

Same for Bruce at Slane in 85! People passed out at 2pm. Missed the show.

Saw some guy at U2 in Slane pick up a newspaper set, it on fire, burn his hands and the chuck the paper into the air and it blew onto some girls hair. Boyfriend wasn't happy, nearly a fight etc.

Some Irish people can't handle their booze.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

The Nal wrote:
    Some Irish people can't handle their booze.

Which is unfortunate as all other nationalities unanimously handle theirs.

Which is unfortunate as all other nationalities unanimously handle theirs.

A lot of them do yeah. Been to big concerts in Spain, Italy, Sweden, Germany, America. Really only issues with us and the British.

Irish peoples acceptance of "the session" is the issue. Ah sure its a big event lets drink until we pass out. Nonsense. Its a real faux pas in most countries. Seen as a really really bad thing, a humiliating thing for the persons friends and family.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

What does this even mean? What is a Garth style fan and how did they ruin it for you?

I'm genuinely curious since I was at the Bruce gig and I'm a Garth Fan!

Culchies in stetsons drinking lots of beer and missing out on the concert being drunk .. sorry if its a generalisation - but saw some of that on sunday as i was arriving/leaving and Garth Brooks was the 1st thing I thought of.
    :o

Culchies in stetsons drinking lots of beer and missing out on the concert being drunk .. sorry if its a generalisation - but saw some of that on sunday as i was arriving/leaving and Garth Brooks was the 1st thing I thought of.
    :o

They were so drunk they didn't even make it into Coppers for the shift!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Raoul

They were so drunk they didn't even make it into Coppers for the shift!

I didn't notice that all of the drunk people weren't from Dublin. :confused: One of the worst things I saw was a man about 50 years old skipping the queues for the urinals. Some young guy tried to stop him and the old guy started pushing him and telling him to "f*ck off" in a Dublin accent. Security came and stopped a fight happening but the older guy still skipped the queue. This didn't make me think any less of Dublin people or that all Dublin people were absolute d*cks like this guy.

Other than that I really didn't see anything too bad. The only other bad thing I saw was guys urinating in a garden after the gig :(. Which is absolutely disgusting!! But at the same time the way we were led out, all the toilets were locked.

Raoul wrote: »
    I didn't notice that all of the drunk people weren't from Dublin. :confused: One of the worst things I saw was a man about 50 years old skipping the queues for the urinals. Some young guy tried to stop him and the old guy started pushing him and telling him to "f*ck off" in a Dublin accent. Security came and stopped a fight happening but the older guy still skipped the queue. This didn't make me think any less of Dublin people or that all Dublin people were absolute d*cks like this guy.

Other than that I really didn't see anything too bad. The only other bad thing I saw was guys urinating in a garden after the gig :(. Which is absolutely disgusting!! But at the same time the way we were led out, all the toilets were locked.

The only person we had an issue with in the pit was a Dub yeah. Proper polluted. Annoying everyone. Got kicked out.

I saw someone pissing in a garden on Iona Road after the gig on Sunday, with someone sitting in the living room watching telly! He came out and told him to **** off.

Madness from Croker closing the toilets after a 3 hour gig. What did they expect?!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

This. I left the pitch via The Nally Stand. Didn't see a portoloo, held on to it, and casually walked into a pub near Drumcondra Station to releive my self.

Tbh, seen no problems my self other than a few Stewards with power trips, but yes with 80k people you, of course there is going to be one or two behaving anti socially. Will happen regardless of where the gig is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

The only person we had an issue with in the pit was a Dub yeah. Proper polluted. Annoying everyone. Got kicked out.

I saw someone pissing in a garden on Iona Road after the gig on Sunday, with someone sitting in the living room watching telly! He came out and told him to **** off.

Madness from Croker closing the toilets after a 3 hour gig. What did they expect?!

This annoyed me. Was bursting for a piss as didn't want to go in the last 30 mins of the concert then to have all the toilets closed when the gig was over was a joke. If they did that after a match there would be uproar about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭ManOfMystery

Was in L Cusack 308. First time in Croke Park as I'm a Nordie so usually just hit up gigs in Belfast. Brilliant night all round. Sound quality wasn't the best (I'm not an audiophile either, but do play in a band so can appreciate clarity) but that didn't tar the whole thing too much for me.

Was amazed at the energy Springsteen has; 3+ hours of music, no major breaks between songs, and he really belts them out. It's a wonder his voice holds out night after night. If I have half his energy when I'm 67 too, I'll be a happy man.

Some massive guy in front of us kept standing up, and as he was about 9ft tall (and wide!) then everyone behind had to stand up to see too. Eventually someone with bigger balls than the rest of us shouted sit down you f**king gorilla, and lo and behold he complied. That got a laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

While I don't condone anyone peeing in someone's garden, it was an absolute joke for all the toilets to be closed on the way out. We were on the pitch and were wondering were all the toilets closed in the stand after the concert? It was the only fault I had with such a brilliant day and night!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Raoul

Wellyd wrote: »
    While I don't condone anyone peeing in someone's garden, it was an absolute joke for all the toilets to be closed on the way out. We were on the pitch and were wondering were all the toilets closed in the stand after the concert? It was the only fault I had with such a brilliant day and night!
    The toilet situation in general was fairly bad actually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭mrk75

Wellyd wrote: »
    We were on the pitch too but were directed to exit through the Hogan Stand. Toilets were all open there.

Advertisement