Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bruce Springsteen General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,817 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Wooderson wrote: »
    Macca needs to bring current tour back to Dubland.

Yep. A grade A masterful live performer these days. Very Springsteen actually. Show is paced perfectly and all the flabby between song banter is gone. Very funny too.

Macca: "Oh theres our friend..... go on... hold up the sign"

*holds up a sign saying "113 shows and counting"*

Macca: "113?! You must be bored by now?"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭Wooderson

The Nal wrote: »
    Yep. A grade A masterful live performer these days. Very Springsteen actually. Show is paced perfectly and all the flabby between song banter is gone. Very funny too.

Macca: "Oh theres our friend..... go on... hold up the sign"

*holds up a sign saying "113 shows and counting"*

Macca: "113?! You must be bored by now?"

"These days" ? :confused::D

• Registered Users Posts: 38,416 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Offically open night for the broadway show tonight but previews have been going on for the last few nights

spoiler from someone on Backstreets who went
    GROWIN' UP / MY HOMETOWN / MY FATHER'S HOUSE / THE WISH / THUNDER ROAD / THE PROMISED LAND / BORN IN THE U.S.A. / TENTH AVENUE FREEZE-OUT / TOUGHER THAN THE REST (with Patti Scialfa) / BRILLIANT DISGUISE (with Patti Scialfa) / THE RISING / LONG WALK HOME / DANCING IN THE DARK / LAND OF HOPE AND DREAMS / BORN TO RUN

All on guitar except THE WISH, THUNDER ROAD, & TENTH AVENUE FREEZE-OUT (big props to the E Street Band and Clarence in particular) on piano. But this show is as much about the stories as the songs. Many of the stories were in the book but some were new. It is completely scripted and he does have a teleprompter.

No sing-alongs. Fantastic sound. Could hear him clearly when he was off microphone. Very intimate. Powerful performances. Lost of emotion. Loved it.

good setlist but not worth the high ticket price

Interesting alright but looks like a less interesting Devils & Dust setlist but with reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Advertisement

I'd say it's not the most liveliest show and prob would not work well on a touring scale esp here as all the hecklers would be shouting

• Registered Users Posts: 29,059 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Looking forward to the audio release - seems a bit weird to think of him with a teleprompter, but I guess that's just the reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

Looking forward to the audio release - seems a bit weird to think of him with a teleprompter, but I guess that's just the reality.

And has been for a while.

hqdefault.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭perrier

The Teleprompter has been used by Bruce since at least the 1992 tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,059 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

oleras wrote: »
    And has been for a while.

THat's mad. I'm actually glad that I didn't know that before attending the last few gigs, I'd probably have been watching to see when he uses it, which would be a distraction.

I suppose with such a huge back catalogue and the sign requests for unrehearsed songs, it is just a practical requirement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Far from broadway but even at this great remove in time still one of my all time music highlights I count myself blessed to have witnessed :) our boy did good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 49 CantonaGod

Rumours on the greasylake fan site the Broadway show could transfer to Piccadilly theatre in London in April 2018.

CantonaGod wrote: »
    Rumours on the greasylake fan site the Broadway show could transfer to Piccadilly theatre in London in April 2018.

Be interesting and a lot would make the short trip over for it. I'd be tempted but the ticket £££ would be insane

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

Original E Street drummer Vini "Mad Dog" Lopez is performing in the Sound House on Eden Quay on 24th November.

Its part of the Light of Day Foundations European Tour. The foundation raises funds for Parkinson's disease and has been touring the states for several years.
    Last year they ventured to Europe for the first time with the first stop being The Workmans Club in Dublin. last years show also featured Springsteen saxophonist Eddie Mannion.

In addition to Lopez, the 2017 line up also includes Joe D'Urso, Ben Arnold, James Maddock and my particular interest, the incredible Jeffrey Gaines.
    There will also be a couple of local acts.

If its anything like last year, it promises to be a great night. Its for a great cause and an opportunity for Springsteen fans to meet Lopez. The musicians mingle with the crowd before and after the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭hynesie08

CantonaGod wrote: »

Apparently the Broadway run is being extended to June, so probably August at the earliest for the (98% nailed on) UK version.

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Apparently the Broadway run is being extended to June, so probably August at the earliest for the (98% nailed on) UK version.

Doubt were seeing an E street tour or new album in 2018 then

Still think we might get a 35th BITU anniversary tour in 2019

Hoping for a new album before the summer and a tour of that in some form. Solo if needs be. Or maybe with 2 or 3 backup guys.

"It’s connected to my solo records writing-wise … but it’s not like them at all. Just different characters living their lives.”

“It’s kind of waiting for its moment. Good music doesn’t go away!..... "Its influenced by Southern California pop music of the ’70s.

“Jimmy Webb, Burt Bacharach, those kinds of records. I don’t know if people will hear those influences, but that was what I had in my mind. It gave me something to hook an album around, it gave me some inspiration to write. And also, it’s a singer-songwriter record.”

Couple of tunes aside, I have absolutely zero interest in hearing the hits played acoustic as hes doing at the moment.

Also the 35th anniversary of Nebraska a few weeks back so would like to see a few of them played. Hes doing My Fathers House in Broadway. More Nebraska please!

poundhound wrote: »
    Original E Street drummer Vini "Mad Dog" Lopez is performing in the Sound House on Eden Quay on 24th November.

Its part of the Light of Day Foundations European Tour. The foundation raises funds for Parkinson's disease and has been touring the states for several years.
    Last year they ventured to Europe for the first time with the first stop being The Workmans Club in Dublin. last years show also featured Springsteen saxophonist Eddie Mannion.

In addition to Lopez, the 2017 line up also includes Joe D'Urso, Ben Arnold, James Maddock and my particular interest, the incredible Jeffrey Gaines.
    There will also be a couple of local acts.

If its anything like last year, it promises to be a great night. Its for a great cause and an opportunity for Springsteen fans to meet Lopez. The musicians mingle with the crowd before and after the show.

Not going this year but last year was great. Met Vini before the gig, such a gent. Gave so much time to everyone.

http://brucespringsteen.net/broadway/

shows extended too 30th June 2018

28th Feb- 30th June

• Advertisement

Fingers crossed for a winter tour!

More Nebraska please!

Played half of it in Belshaft in '13. ;)

Fingers crossed for a winter tour!

At a guess he might take July-Nov 2018 off or go into the studio and maybe release a new album (solo or ESB) in Dec 2018 and announce a tour (possibly final tour) for 2019/2020.

2019 will be the 35th Anniversary of BITU so maybe a limited edition box set and a tour similar to the River Tour 2016 ????

nobody knows what Bruce is going to do next only himself knows

Lot of people suggesting a suite of dates w/ current format is destined for London this year.

BOB ticket sorted. April 5th. Anyone else going/been?

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭larry1

Dr. Nick wrote: »
    BOB ticket sorted. April 5th. Anyone else going/been?

I had a front row seat right in front of him on December 12th, it was like he was he was playing in my front room. Incredible experience, you will absolutely love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Springsteen on Broadway is coming to an end in December and Netflix have recorded 2 special Springsteen On Broadway shows to broadcast from December 15th on.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/18/theater/bruce-springsteen-broadway-show-netflix.html

So it is now nailed on that Springsteen on Broadway will cease on december 15th. And as far as I know Little Stevie's and Nils' tours will finish up before the end of the year.

Which is great news as it opens up the possibility of a tour in 2019.

I was in Hyde Park for Paul Simon at the weekend and couldnt help having the feeling that we will be back there next summer or possibly the following summer for Bruce and the E Street Band.

All conjecture of course but better get saving as I think it will happen. Probably wouldn't be as extensive a tour as he would probably not wish to be away from his mum for extended periods but two dates in Croker would definitely sell out here.

Looking forward to watching the Netflix special, might be the Xmas day music

Would love If he played here in 2019 and it been the 35th Anniversary of BITU. Return to Slane ???

Id be surprised. He looks far from stadium show ready looking at him with Billy Joel the other night. Id imagine hes taking a break after over a year non stop of Broadway shows.

• Advertisement

Id be surprised. He looks far from stadium show ready looking at him with Billy Joel the other night. Id imagine hes taking a break after over a year non stop of Broadway shows.

Year off to get his hips replaced.

Advertisement