Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bruce Springsteen General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

I see on Backstreets that he has performed Tougher than the Rest solo on the piano. This solo piano slot could become a regular with this and Paris. If he keeps it up and does some more rarities it will be the highlight of the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Roqueandrolle.

The Nal wrote: »
    Whens that?!

It's on Monday evening, will be a great night!

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jossnjuice

It's on Monday evening, will be a great night!

yeah, tower are giving out wristbands for it this morning and tomorrow morning as far as im aware! Won mine on Facebook last weekend! Over the moon does not describe me!

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Nialler73

Hi, 1st time seeing Bruce. The show's down to start at 7, will that be Bruce time or is there a support on this tour?

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jossnjuice

The boss doesnt need support.

He'll be on for 7pm sharpish id imagine!

As a first timer, enjoy yourself, your about to one of the best live bands in the world!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭MeWantBroadband

The stage is under construction today:

http://i.imgur.com/sb1d7.jpg?1

Not sure when they started working though. When you see them under it, the size of the stage hits you more than it does at the actual concert.

Yesterday Ticketmaster published this:

http://www.ticketmaster.ie/h/help.html?tm_link=tm_homeA_ql_4

... which says showtime i actually 7:30 PM. Sounds more typical.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

jossnjuice wrote: »
    won bands to Stevies DJ gig in Tower Records today!!

Over the moon! the last time the show was broadcast from Tower, at least 3/4 of the band turned up!

Cannot Wait!!

Huh, what's this? Any chance of just showing up and getting in?

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭theblueirish

Just back from hyde park, great gig, they pulled the plug just after 10.30, bruce played on a bit don't think he realised the sound was killed.

Macca came on for two songs near the end, Fogerty and Morello joined him earlier.

Th big mans shoes are hard to fill but I was really impressed at Jake tonight, really stepped up.

Roll on next week

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Dr. Nick wrote: »
    In 08 I walked straight into the pit at 5ish on the Thursday, got about three rows back.
    That'll never happen again unfortunately.

5 levels:

1. Overnight nuts - will camp out and guaranteed front row
    2. Normal nuts - will arrive early am and get front row/second row
    3. Non-nut but massive fans - lunchtime, will get quite close
    4. Just below above - early PM - guaranteed pit
    5. 'Early' show arrivers - they think they're early but it's a Bruce show - 50/50 chance of getting in the pit, depends on all of the above.

Mid-week shows are hard to predict but categories one and two stay the same, especially as Dublin gets lots of UK nuts.

There WILL be an organised fan-run pit line with numbers being given out from the previous day, these numbers are written on your hand.

Good luck!

What be this??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Back in the hotel after the Hyde Park gig. Great concert and the appearances of John Fogarty, McCartney and Tom Morello with Bruce were highlights. Bruce said on stage that he was waiting 50 years to get to play with Macca. Morello was great on guitar. Other highlights were Johnny 99, Ghost of Tom Joad and Take em as They Come for some spanish guy at the front that had a list of concerts he had requested it at 4 concerts previously.

John Fogarty's set was a true highlight for me as I have never heard the CLeerance Clearwater stuff live. Bruce played with him at the end for Rockin All Over The World one of Fogarty's songs.

Finally, pulling the plug with Bruce and Macca in midstream was a bit ridiculous. Heard it was the police following complaints from millionaires row nearby. It could have been handled a lot better and Bruce tried his best o finish off and say a few words without success.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Hyde Park Setlist

Thunder Road
    (Bruce & Roy Bittan on piano)
    Badlands
    We Take Care of Our Own
    Wrecking Ball
    Death to My Hometown
    (with Tom Morello)
    My City of Ruins
    Spirit in the Night
    The Promised Land
    (with John Fogerty)
    Take 'Em As They Come
    (Premiere: Tour debut - Sign Request)
    Jack of All Trades
    (with Tom Morello)
    Empty Sky
    (Bruce partial solo acoustic)
    Because the Night
    (Patti Smith cover)
    Johnny 99
    Darlington County
    Working on the Highway
    Shackled and Drawn
    Waitin' on a Sunny Day
    Raise Your Hand
    (Eddie Floyd cover)
    The River
    The Ghost of Tom Joad
    (with Tom Morello)
    The Rising
    (with Tom Morello)
    Land of Hope and Dreams
    (with Tom Morello)

Encore:

We Are Alive
    Born in the U.S.A.
    Born to Run
    Glory Days
    Dancing in the Dark
    I Saw Her Standing There
    (The Beatles cover) (with Sir Paul McCartney)
    Twist and Shout
    (The Isley Brothers cover) (With Sir Paul McCartney)

Bruce Springsteen was joined onstage by Paul McCartney as he brought the second night of Hard Rock Calling to a close yesterday evening (July 14), but their set was cut shot when organisers turned off their microphones after they broke the venue's sound curfew.

McCartney joined the rock legend onstage for 'I Saw Her Standing There' and 'Twist And Shout', the final songs in Springsteen's 29-song set, which lasted three and a quarter hours in total. But organisers pulled the plug on the encore while The Boss and Macca were trying to address the crowd, rendering them inaudible to the disbelief of the audience.

Springsteen guitarist Steve Van Zandt took to Twitter after the show to voice his disapproval:

@StevieVanZandt
    One of the great gigs ever in my opinion. But seriously, when did England become a police state?
    We break curfews in every country but only English cops needs to "punish us" by not letting us leave until the entire crowd goes.
    Is there just too much fun in the world? We would have been off by 11 if we'd done one more. On a Saturday night! Who were we disturbing?
    The cops got nothing more important to do? How about they go catch some criminals instead of ****ing with 80,000 people having a good time?

The guitarist wasn't alone in voicing his disapproval of the decision; writing on Twitter, actor Simon Pegg said: "Can't believe they pulled the plug on Springsteen and Macca last night in Hyde Park. What joyless, bitter killjoy made that decision? #shame", while his fellow comedian Stephen Merchant added: "Ashamed to be British right now. Springsteen and McCartney playing Twist & Shout in Hyde Park and council pulled the plug cos of curfew. WTF"
    ?
    Before the controversial ending, the show had also featured appearances by John Fogerty and Tom Morello. Fogerty played on 'The Promised Land' and Morello joined in on the songs from the 'Wrecking Ball' album he's featured on, as well as 'The Ghost Of Tom Joad'.

The show also included a version of rarity 'Take 'Em As They Come', from 'The River' era, which was requested by a fan in the front row. Springsteen has only played this song live nine times before, with the last occasion being on June 14, 2003 in Copenhagen, Denmark.

Earlier in the day, Bruce had also joined John Fogerty during his support set on 'Rockin' All Over The World' (a song Fogerty wrote).

As well as the pulling of the plug early, the triumphant show was also marred by extremely quiet sound throughout, with many of the 70,000-strong audience complaining that they could not hear the show properly. Many of the disgruntled punters took to Twitter after the show to express their disappointment:
    @springsteen don't play #hardrockcalling again - it was too quiet & cutting u off was shameful. You & the E-SBand were amazing though! Thanx
    They pulled the plug in the boss and macca at @HardRockCalling if it hadn't already been so quiet we might have noticed #hardrockcalling
    Hey @HardRockCalling its not loud enough! #hardrockcalling

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Thunder Road
    Oh man, this moves me to tears, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Decky87

It says on the tickets no cameras allowed will they not let cameras in?this will be my first bruce concert. Wont be there til about 6pm wed.think be able to get to even near the front?

Quote=SerialComplaint;79737058]
    Thunder Road
    Oh man, this moves me to tears, really.

[/Quote]

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Username2011

Dr. Nick wrote: »
    Should be ok given previous experiences in Dublin. lot of out-of-towners seem to be going though looking at some Bruce boards so they'll be queueing from early. See post #590 for my analysis!

yeah I was there in 08 and walked straight into the pit just after the gates opened.. the following year was a different story. made the mistake of queuing the other side of the RDS. Didn't get into the pit. Was raging and got pissed wet it was such a bad day. By chance I asked a security man inside did he have any pit passes and he threw me three!! Couldn't believe my luck! turned out to be a great night. Wish he would do a few night in the o2 or something. Dont really like the RDS as a venue

Hi, thanks for that info! So which rds entrance suits the pit tickets?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Hi, thanks for that info! So which rds entrance suits the pit tickets?

Simmonscourt apparently

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭jacko1

really want the 78 version of Prove it All Night

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWos8TS9yaE

he did it in Barcelona so maybe ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Hyde Park was probably the best gig of my life. I want to see him again. As soon as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭musicmania

Shame they cut the sound when Bruce and Macca were performing together in Hyde park :(

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭theblueirish

Hyde Park was probably the best gig of my life. I want to see him again. As soon as possible.

Without the best Bruce gig I have seen ever, but I would never go back to Hyde park again, we ended up with a bunch of larger louts in front of us who kept getting on each others shoulders and falling on top of everyone. A few people reported them but got told there was nothing they could do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

Yes but the ultimate question is will I need my wellies or not??

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭CiaranK

Blingy wrote: »

Luckily no, the grounds are completely covered with the white plasticy mats that are used at outdoor concerts (Well they were for any other gigs I've been at in the RDS)

Blingy wrote: »
    CiaranK wrote: »
    Luckily no, the grounds are completely covered with the white plasticy mats that are used at outdoor concerts (Well they were for any other gigs I've been at in the RDS)

And it's in Ballsbridge and we all know that it doesn't rain there from Jun till August ;)

Any recommend anywhere good for food/beer around Ballsbridge? Just pub grub kinda think , nothing too expensive ha

Any recommend anywhere good for food/beer around Ballsbridge? Just pub grub kinda think , nothing too expensive ha

Any half decent place will be rammed on Gig day

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

jacko1 wrote: »
    really want the 78 version of Prove it All Night

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWos8TS9yaE

he did it in Barcelona so maybe ?

I was at that Barca gig. Unbelievable. Hes a very underrated guitar player.

Lets hope the weather clears up a bit for tomorrow! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Weather not looking good at all unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 38,402 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Have to leave waterford at 3pm tomorrow due to work commitments. So it looks like its the very back row for me in the standing area. Anyway that's just how it is. Hopefully it will be an epic show

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

nm wrote: »
    Weather not looking good at all unfortunately

Tomorrow

Tuesday will be a warm and humid day and it will feel close. It will stay predominantly cloudy during the day though with some light rain or drizzle and fog might persist along the coast. A few bright or sunny spells will develop also, mainly further inland. Highest temperatures will be between 19 and 22 degrees. Westerly winds will be mostly moderate.

People have been in the queue since last night outside the RDS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 scaeraurelius

what time do doors open and what time will he be on stage at tomorrow night anyone know??

Advertisement