Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bruce Springsteen General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Frank03

1 Twist and Shout (ending)
    2 I Fought the Law
    3 Badlands
    4 Out in the Street
    5 We Take Care Of Our Own
    6 Wrecking Ball
    7 Death to My Hometown
    8 My City of Ruins
    9 Spirit in the Night
    10 I'm a Rocker
    11 Prove it All Night
    12 Darkness on the Edge of Town
    13 Jack of All Trades
    14 Murder Incorporated
    15 Johnny 99
    16 Easy Money
    17 Working on the Highway
    18 Waitin’ on A Sunny Day
    19 Raise Your Hand
    20 My Hometown
    21 The River
    22 The Rising
    23 Land of Hope and Dreams
    -
    24 We Are Alive
    25 Born in the U.S.A.
    26 Born to Run
    27 Rosalita (Come Out Tonight)
    28 Dancing in the Dark
    29 Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out
    30 Twist and Shout (reprise)
    31 American Land

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭AhInFairness

The Clarence montage during Tenth Avenue Freeze Out was beautiful.

My City of Ruins was also really emotional.

Brilliant gig. Can't wait for tonight :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭ryaner1979

Great gig last night. Wish i was going again tonight. We were halfway back on the pitch at the start and the sound was poor. Not loud enough so we left the pitch and went outside and around the stand and were standing behind a barricade nearly level with the stage but about 80 yards away. Over comes a nice security guy with a box of pit passes and in we went. Brilliant seeing him up close. Would recommend anyone going as early as possible to get into the pit. Gig started about 7.20 i thought

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Here's the special moment where Bruce plucked 6 year old Sophie out of the crowd to sing with him on stage. And Sophie knew the words...
    She was singing it on TV3's Ireland AM this morning. Her father rang in saying he was a big fan, and that's why he was down the front, the girl was hoping to get on stage to sing.

The presenter asked something like "so it was planned", and he says yeah. No doubt they would have asked him (& her) earlier on if it was OK to bring her up.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭jay gatsby

I just wanna say - this is how a gig with 35,000 people is supposed to go down. I know it was a much easier crowd but I was in Phoenix Park last week for Florence and i don't believe there were half as many guards and security personnel there as there were here. Also a lot of the security I saw were the old school guys that you expect to see at this type of thing. I saw a good few lads being carried out of the premises and it was quick, orderly and efficient.

The gig was terrific, massive set, great choice of tunes I thought. Only the Boss could play that long, slow it down so many times and bring it back up again. Plenty of hammy comedy up there too which keeps it interesting for regulars at the shows I think.

Also got to see him coming out of the hotel in the van, wound down the window and everything. By the by, they were still handing out a limited number of pit passes half an hour into the show at the pit entrance. The pit is massive, very nearly overfilled it though imo

All in all, great night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Did anyone else get to see Daniel Day Lewis and Steven Spielberg? They were sitting in the same stand as us a couple of blocks down.
    Everyone got well excited and people were rushing over to take pics!
    Me being a dumb ass didnt realise who it was though till after!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

jay gatsby wrote: »
    I just wanna say - this is how a gig with 35,000 people is supposed to go down.

Thats Aiken Promotions for you. Proper organisation.

And WHAT a gig from Springsteen. Think thats 11 or 12 times I've seen him now and probably the best!

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭jay gatsby

Did anyone else get to see Daniel Day Lewis and Steven Spielberg? They were sitting in the same stand as us a couple of blocks down.
    Everyone got well excited and people were rushing over to take pics!
    Me being a dumb ass didnt realise who it was though till after!

Yeah, they walked right past us, we were in the grandstand right down at the end nearest the stage and they walked by on the way in. I'm ashamed to say I didn't recognise Spielberg till I heard this morning - I did pick out Day-Lewis though, another older guy who looks fair and fit for his age

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

rubadub wrote: »
    The presenter asked something like "so it was planned", and he says yeah. No doubt they would have asked him (& her) earlier on if it was OK to bring her up.

He does it all the time, check youtube, sometimes the kids don't know all the words or are just really young and a bit nervous, so I don't think they're all planned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Absolutely exceptional gig! 3rd time seeing The Boss in the RDS and probably the best one yet!

Great setlist and great energy throughout!

Saying that, I have no idea what the hell was up with the sound for the first 5 or 6 songs though! Was literally the worst sound I've ever heard at a gig, indoors or outdoors!

Thankfully, once it was sorted, the sound was absolutely perfect!

Very jealous of anyone getting to go tonight now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

came on stage at 7.25pm - finished up at 10.45 - my ears are still ringing. Disappointed he didn't play Mary's Place and Cadillac Ranch but overall an amazing gig.

I thought the tribute to the Big Man was wonderful and Jake did a great job of filling Clarence's boots.

nm wrote: »
    He does it all the time, check youtube, sometimes the kids don't know all the words or are just really young and a bit nervous, so I don't think they're all planned.
    Yeah, I saw it before in the RDS. I think I saw bruce saying he gets kids now rather than "courtney cox" types as he said he is too old to expect them to be wanting to go up with him!

I was not certain what was fully meant by "planned", he might have just meant he got up front hoping she would be brought up. But sounded like, and I would hope & expect, they ask all the parents beforehand will it be OK.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

madalig12 wrote: »
    I got pit pass at six o clock at the front entrance to the pulit inside the rds...why everyone queue???? Haha

Also he did play a little twist and shout at the start as a dig at london. Im a rocker and rosalita and working on the highway were my faves

Ha yea we arrived about 6pm or so and were giving wristbands for this pit , was delighted :)
    Superb show - loved Murder Incorporated live, though it would never have been one of my favourite album tracks. Here's the special moment where Bruce plucked 6 year old Sophie out of the crowd to sing with him on stage. And Sophie knew the words....

That kid thing was really cool . 1st time seeing Bruce and can guarantee it wont be the last.
    After seeing bands like Foo's/The Who/Macca/Aerosmith etc Bruce is just in a league of his own . Couldnt really fault the whole concert , played everything i wanted to hear and the whole "I fault the law" was brilliant . Was jumping up and down when i heard the drums for American Land (one of my fav songs) , Delighted i finally got to hear The River nearly gave me goosebumps ha .
    He drove passed us coming out of the RDS which was good timing

• Registered Users Posts: 8 TheWraith

Quick question, is it strictly one per person on the pit passes? I was thinking about heading up a bit early to try and grab one for me and my friend who doesn't get out of work til later, I'll have both the tickets on me though.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

TheWraith wrote: »
    Quick question, is it strictly one per person on the pit passes? I was thinking about heading up a bit early to try and grab one for me and my friend who doesn't get out of work til later, I'll have both the tickets on me though.

Yea one per person

Yeah, I saw it before in the RDS. I think I saw bruce saying he gets kids now rather than "courtney cox" types as he said he is too old to expect them to be wanting to go up with him!

I was not certain what was fully meant by "planned", he might have just meant he got up front hoping she would be brought up. But sounded like, and I would hope & expect, they ask all the parents beforehand will it be OK.

I highly doubt they ask the parents.

I was beside that family at the beginning of the gig (they came in after 5pm btw, they weren't there early. The dad just managed to squeeze his way close to the podium on the far left hand side of the stage) and he was telling us that he makes sure all the kids see Bruce for their first concert. She was the youngest and it was her first. One fella beside us said "Ah sure, get close enough and he might grab her." The dad said "Here's hoping!" So I don't believe for a second that it was planned.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Hello folks.

Haven't bought a ticket for this.
    Do you reckon I would find one if I went this afternoon at RDS?
    On their website, Ticketmaster says that there will be a selling point on the spot, is that the norm? (probably silly question, never gone to a concert without having my ticket in advance).

Thanks a million!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

I highly doubt they ask the parents.

I saw him do it both nights in Barcelona and it looked a little too smooth for it not to be pre arranged. The kids were Spanish after all.

4 mins 20

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Barlett

Going to be down there tonight around 6. Hoping to get into the pit...where to I need to go to try and get a pass?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

I find the whole 'kid on the stage' thing a little bit odd/weird....not sure what the right word is.

Front row of the pit at a Bruce Springsteen gig is not the place to be bringing your five year old.

• Advertisement

The Nal wrote: »
    I saw him do it both nights in Barcelona and it looked a little too smooth for it not to be pre arranged. The kids were Spanish after all.

Like I said, I was beside that family. They weren't directly at the stage because they weren't there early enough. If it was pre-arranged with this bloke and the kid surely he would have been closer than he was. The dad was tall and shoved his way in when Bruce came over (as did everyone else).

I'm not saying it's never planned, maybe it is, who knows, I'm saying that in this instance I don't believe it was planned in the slightest. I think the dad knew if he could get close enough there was a good chance he might take her but thats it.

Barlett wrote: »
    Going to be down there tonight around 6. Hoping to get into the pit...where to I need to go to try and get a pass?

You need to have a standing ticket that enters at the Red Route.

They were still handing them out as people went in after after 5pm yesterday so you might be lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    I find the whole 'kid on the stage' thing a little bit odd/weird....not sure what the right word is.

Front row of the pit at a Bruce Springsteen gig is not the place to be bringing your five year old.

I can see your point and I have considered this from both sides. Last tour I brought my eldest daughter (if you remember it was over €100 per ticket:eek:). In the end for a variety of reasons we could not get to queue for the pit and were a good way back. She is small and got to see very little except someones back and a small bit of the screens (which, if you remember were crap then). She is going along today so hope it is better for her this time.

So I would agree that, if you are going to the effort of bringing kids, then you should try and get them as close as possible. Bruce does do a few cheesy things like that which takes up time and also personally I would prefer less cover versions. I would prefer as many as possible songs from the Wild, Innocent through to BITUSA era and my kids love The Rising , Magic etc. So anything that gets in the way of more of those songs is wasted time in my selfish view. That said, I am not complaining as his set is almost double the length of some performers.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭ashdale5

Driving up from Cork for this and am going to be tight for time and need to drive back tonight as well.

Better option to park at Red Cow or town?

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Jimmy Macnulty

Walked in the simmonscourt side at 5.50pm yesterday and the pit passes were all gone. Asked a security man if there was any chance of getting them somewhere else. He directed us down to the back of the RDS (behind the stand at the back) and a really nice lady on the gate gave us 5 no hassle! About 20 mins later they seemed to be all gone as I went looking for a few more for friends who had just arrived. The gig itself was class. I have seen Bruce 7 times now and this was the best. I didnt notice the bad sound at the start but we had a pretty good view in front of the stage. The only problem all night was getting out of the simmoncourt car park. I expected a delay but there were no stewards to direct traffic and it ended up a free for all. Wish i was going again tonight. Everyone who is, enjoy! your in for a great night!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

dixiefly wrote: »
    I can see your point and I have considered this from both sides. Last tour I brought my eldest daughter (if you remember it was over €100 per ticket:eek:). In the end for a variety of reasons we could not get to queue for the pit and were a good way back. She is small and got to see very little except someones back and a small bit of the screens (which, if you remember were crap then). She is going along tday so hope it is better for her this time.

So I would agree that, if you are going to the effort of bringing kids, then you should try and get them as close as possible. Bruce does do a few cheesy things like that which tyakes up time and also personally I would prefer less cover versions. I would prefer as many as possible songs from the Wild, Innocent through to BITUSA era and my kids love The Rising , Magic etc. So anything that gets in the way of more of those songs is wasted time in my selfish view. That said, I am not complaining as his set is almost double the length of some performers.

However, thats the way he does things

Could you not just get a seated ticket?

I havent been to the front of the pit, but my guess is that its a bit of a crush and a lot of jostling around.....I could be completely wrong there.

Anyway, I just have visions of all these dads dragging their six year olds to the front of the concert hoping their kid will be the one thats picked out....reflected glory and all that.

I agree with you on the setlist....I have little interest in hearing Twist and Shout unless Paul McCartney is singing it....I dont have the noughties albums, maybe I should....but all those songs blend into one for me, and you could see it in the crowd big style yesterday. The people at the front were bopping throughout, but the people in the middle and the back were tuning in and tuning out, and only really came alive in Born in the USA.

Anyone else think the keyboard solo on We Take Care of Our Own was a bit Joy Division-esque?

The only time there is jostling or shoving at the front of the pit is when Bruce runs down from the stage. People rush to the front and do cause a crush but it doesn't last too long. Apart from that, its fine to be down at the front. People just want to be able to see.

I do think there was some kids there last night that were too small and I also saw a father use his kid to shove people out of the way while he tried to get closer to the stage. At one point he started squaring up to a man that literally couldn't move anywhere. The kid was still on his shoulders..

On the issue of the setlist, I will never understand people who go to Springsteen gigs and only want to hear certain songs.

It's not a Greatest Hits tour, it's not the Born to Run tour, it's not the Magic tour, its the Wrecking Ball tour. You're going to hear a lot of songs from that album. The fact that he throws some classic hits into the mix is amazing and I think it's ridiculous to moan about not hearing particular songs after a performance like that.

Last night there was a mother and two daughters beside us who had tried to shove their way to the very front of the pit but were promptly told to get the f*ck back. They were plastered drunk, the mother in particular. When Bruce was doing the lead up to We Are Alive, talking about the song, this woman spent the entire time giving out because he hadn't played Born to Run and her entire night was ruined. She then proceded to call him every name under the sun throughout the whole song. Then when he played Born In The USA she actually started crying because "I hate this f*cking song!!" She finally shut her face when Born to Run started.

If you only want to hear certain songs stay at home and watch youtube ffs.

The dad said "Here's hoping!" So I don't believe for a second that it was planned.
    Right, listening again by "planned" he did just meant he did go up front on purpose in the hope she would go up for that song.

I just would have expected in this day & age they would make 100% sure there would be no issue with dragging a minor up on stage, I think its very risky not to.

TV3 have it up now
    http://www.tv3.ie/videos.php?video=50960&locID=1.65.74&page=1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

ashdale5 wrote: »
    Driving up from Cork for this and am going to be tight for time and need to drive back tonight as well.

Better option to park at Red Cow or town?

Red Cow i'd say, you;ll be in town in no time, ask what time the last one leaves town going back out though.

• Advertisement

I just would have expected in this day & age they would make 100% sure there would be no issue with dragging a minor up on stage, I think its very risky not to.

There is very little dragging as far as I can tell. If anything, this child was very much "offered" to Springsteen :) Bruce shrugged and said "alright" and then brought her up.

Advertisement