Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bruce Springsteen General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

On the issue of the setlist, I will never understand people who go to Springsteen gigs and only want to hear certain songs.

I take your point completely.

And to be fair, there were some songs last night that I hadnt heard before from the new albums that would encourage me to get the albums......Easy Money was class for instance.

But, look....I have favourite springsteen albums.....I'd like to have heard a few more from Nebraska for instance. Thats me. We all have our own point of view.

But weighing it up.....what keeps it interesting for him is that he's playing new material. Like the song about the graveyards, and his intro to it, thats the message he wants to get across, he put a lot of thought and effort into it. And if that keeps it interesting for him, then brilliant, play it because he's an astonishingly good performer and we want him to keep coming back here.

Regarding what that woman said, Born To Run did have a touch of the karaoke time about it......a lot more kudos if you can sing along to I'm A Rocker.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭AhInFairness

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    But, look....I have favourite springsteen albums.....I'd like to have heard a few more from Nebraska for instance. Thats me. We all have our own point of view.

And if this was the Nebraska tour you'd have grounds for disappointment if you didn't hear certain songs from that album. If you don't know songs from the Wrecking Ball album that are being played on the Wrecking Ball tour...well, let's be honest mate, that's your own fault for not bothering to listen to the new stuff.

Anything Bruce and the band decide to play outside of those from Wrecking Ball should be seen as a bonus as far as I'm concerned. Giving out or feeling let down that he didn't play something else is just silly to me.
    Regarding what that woman said, Born To Run did have a touch of the karaoke time about it......a lot more kudos if you can sing along to I'm A Rocker.

My issue with that woman wasn't solely that she wanted to hear Born to Run (Thunder Road is one of my all-time favourites and he didn't play it last night but I certainly wasn't complaining!). It was that she made such a ridiculous fuss about it, ruined the lead up to We Are Alive for everyone that was around her, and the same with Born in the USA.

And yes, we could all sing along to I'm a Rocker. I saw very few near me that couldn't tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

And if this was the Nebraska tour you'd have grounds for disappointment if you didn't hear certain songs from that album. If you don't know songs from the Wrecking Ball album that are being played on the Wrecking Ball tour...well, let's be honest mate, that's your own fault for not bothering to listen to the new stuff.

Anything Bruce and the band decide to play outside of those from Wrecking Ball should be seen as a bonus as far as I'm concerned. Giving out or feeling let down that he didn't play something else is just silly to me.

My issue with that woman wasn't solely that she wanted to hear Born to Run (Thunder Road is one of my all-time favourites and he didn't play it last night but I certainly wasn't complaining!). It was that she made such a ridiculous fuss about it, ruined the lead up to We Are Alive for everyone that was around her, and the same with Born in the USA.

And yes, we could all sing along to I'm a Rocker. I saw very few near me that couldn't tbh.

OK......so by that standard if he came on and played the full Wrecking Ball album and then left, no one should be in anyway disappointed.

I didnt sing along to I'm a Rocker as I dont know the lyrics to every single Bruce Springsteen song ever written over the past forty years, of which that is one.

OK......so by that standard if he came on and played the full Wrecking Ball album and then left, no one should be in anyway disappointed.

That is not what I meant at all (although I have no doubt you know that wasn't what I meant), although some bands do that. Thankfully Bruce doesn't but that doesn't mean people should piss and moan about what he didn't play. Whatever he decides he wants to play is what should be seen as a bonus. He's not a jukebox ffs. He was on that stage for almost 3 and a half hours giving an absolutely amazing performance. Some people are just never happy though, eh?

I didnt sing along to I'm a Rocker as I dont know the lyrics to every single Bruce Springsteen song ever written over the past forty years, of which that is one.

Well given that you haven't even bothered with "the noughties" albums, I don't doubt that for a second.

Roll on tonight's gig. Should be another blinder.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

First time ever seeing Bruce Springsteen last night and it was epic. I don't know much of his back catalogue but it was spectacular from start to finish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Shaque attack

Just got a last minute ticket to tonights show! delighted.

Prob going to be in work till about 6 though. What's my quickest way of getting out to the rds from town?

Was thinking of getting a bus on leeson st and getting off at herbert park?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

We also had the start of We Are Alive ruined by a group of women who wouldn't shut up talking!! Like if you're going to stand there comparing your tans and talking about hairdressers (the actual conversation!), why don't they just go to a bar instead?!

Just got a last minute ticket to tonights show! delighted.

Prob going to be in work till about 6 though. What's my quickest way of getting out to the rds from town?

Was thinking of getting a bus on leeson st and getting off at herbert park?

You could get the 7 bus from Pearse Street. It brings you right to the RDS. Not sure how long it will take.

We also had the start of We Are Alive ruined by a group of women who wouldn't shut up talking!! Like if you're going to stand there comparing your tans and talking about hairdressers (the actual conversation!), why don't they just go to a bar instead?!

I don't understand people who spend a fortune on tickets and then spend the whole show chatting. People like that shouldn't bother. There are people who are actually fans of the music who can't get tickets because of morons like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

buses were flying by packed after loading up in O'Connell Street from about 5.00pm - ended up getting a cab up through Donnybrook and down Herbert Park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭Zardoz

I'm thinking of heading to the gig tonight,would it be easy to pick up a ticket near the ground ?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,402 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

This was my first Bruce gig and hopefully wont be my last (if i didnt have work i mite of went tonight). Amazing gig from start to finish. Really enjoyed hearing The River, Born in the usa, Dancing in the Dark and others. I was halfway up the pitch the sound was very low for the first few songs but improved.

I dont think any concert i go to in the future will be better than this, almost 3 and a half, with no break.

Hopefully next time he mite play Croke Park or the Aviva ( i think he would sell them places out) but i think if he does tour in 2013/14 he will play 2 nights in the RDS again.

My view wasant great (i hate being vertically challenged lol), a bit annoyed of hearing pit passes being handed out when the performance was on. Could not see Bruce when he was on the lower stage.

Anyway what a gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Could you not just get a seated ticket?

QUOTE]

I had intended being in the pit when I got the ticket but I had a very bad cold & had lined up someone else to bring her as I decided not to go but they forgot so I had to bring her at the last moment!! But, you are right, a seated ticket in hindsight would have been a better option.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

I don't understand people who spend a fortune on tickets and then spend the whole show chatting. People like that shouldn't bother. There are people who are actually fans of the music who can't get tickets because of morons like that.

There was a gang of culchie lads beside me who were really enjoying the gig and sang along to every song, but during the quiet moments, their chat was disruptively load. In fairness, a harsh look and an 'Ah lads, come one now' got the volume reduced significantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

There was a gang of culchie lads beside me who were really enjoying the gig and sang along to every song, but during the quiet moments, their chat was disruptively load. In fairness, a harsh look and an 'Ah lads, come one now' got the volume reduced significantly.

Few lads beside us were quite similar. Dancing away and singing along but when Bruce was explaining the meaning behind the final song on the 'Wrecking Ball' album, they were very loud and there were a few around us telling them to be quiet for a few moments which is only fair as he was talking in a rather low voice at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Scrappylad

Just got off work. What are the chances of getting in to the pit if I head straight up and am there by half 3. Damn this work anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭jay gatsby

Scrappylad wrote: »
    Just got off work. What are the chances of getting in to the pit if I head straight up and am there by half 3. Damn this work anyway

You'll get in - you need a standing ticket and go to the Simmonscourt road red queue.

Enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Scrappylad

Just got my pit pass, joined the que at 3.25 so here's one happy man. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Just walked up to the blue entrance on Anglesea road and asked for a pity pass and got one :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭lc180

If I stopped by the RDS at 8.30 or 9pm tonight what are the chances I could score a cheap last minute ticket of a scalper???

Went last night and it was amazing! Really want to go again tonight but working late

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

lc180 wrote: »
    If I stopped by the RDS at 8.30 or 9pm tonight what are the chances I could score a cheap last minute ticket of a scalper???

Went last night and it was amazing! Really want to go again tonight but working late

60-90 minutes into the show? I reckon they'll have packed up and left at that stage.

You may be able to blag your way in though. Family emergency, lost your ticket on the way back or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭lc180

The Nal wrote: »
    60-90 minutes into the show? I reckon they'll have packed up and left at that stage.

You may be able to blag your way in though. Family emergency, lost your ticket on the way back or something.

Yeah I agree they'll probably be packed up, especially if its raining! Oh well

I'm a terrible blagger so no point trying that! Cheers anywho :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

The Nal wrote: »

classy :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 75 ✭✭Toothpaste89

Did anyone else see his daughter pop in at the back with the backing singers for one song it looked very like her

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭cassette50

Here are two of my videos from the first night:

Born in the USA/Born to Run

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MozQ2LmutkI

Twist & Shout
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKtGhMInPdc

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭thewing

rubadub wrote: »
    Right, listening again by "planned" he did just meant he did go up front on purpose in the hope she would go up for that song.

I just would have expected in this day & age they would make 100% sure there would be no issue with dragging a minor up on stage, I think its very risky not to.

TV3 have it up now
    http://www.tv3.ie/videos.php?video=50960&locID=1.65.74&page=1

The cynic in me can't believe this is random

Try googling 'bruce springsteen little girl sunny day' - first page would rule out randomness.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭ct_roy

anyone know if the switching on of the flood lights at 10pm on the button is related to the curfew? seemed a bit odd I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Another young lad got dragged up this evening, same song, got a great reaction. Great show so far, the man is a legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭clickhere

What are you doing on boards at a bruce gig? Was there last night,
    best gig ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭nehemiah

ct_roy wrote: »
    anyone know if the switching on of the flood lights at 10pm on the button is related to the curfew? seemed a bit odd I thought.
    Floodlights went on last night for Born in the USA and Born to Run.

Probably something similar tonight.

Advertisement