Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bruce Springsteen General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Great set list tonight by the looks of things. Oh to be able to go to both nights

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

He was in great form but the sound was crap, I was in the pitch about midway and could barely hear anything clearly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Red Alert wrote: »
    He was in great form but the sound was crap, I was in the pitch about midway and could barely hear anything clearly.

Was It like that for the whole show? Last night it was absolutely shocking for the first 6 songs but then picked up and it was grand after that (i also moved a bit closer)

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭theblueirish

Start and finish times? Also any highlights?

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭AhInFairness

He shook my hand when he came to the barrier before the gig.

I can now die happy. Amazing night :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,503 ✭✭✭bb1234567

finished 11:10 started about 7:40ish but I was a bit late amazing stamina the man

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭AhInFairness

Start and finish times? Also any highlights?

He came on just after 7.30 and it was non stop til pretty much bang on 11.

So many epic songs, No Surrender and Ties That Bind and Because The Night were brilliant. It was just all brilliant!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,503 ✭✭✭bb1234567

exhausting set list of non stop classics!

1. This Hard Land (acoustic)
    2. No Surrender
    3. Two Hearts
    4. The Ties The Bind
    5. We Take Care of Our Own
    6. Badlands
    7. Something In The Night
    8. Adam Raised a Cain
    9. Wrecking Ball
    10. Death to My Hometown
    11. My City of Ruins
    12. Spirit In The Night
    13. Jackson Cage (request)
    14. She's The One
    15. Jack of All Trades
    16. Atlantic City
    17. Because The Night
    18. Darlington County
    19. Easy Money
    20. Waitin' On a Sunny Day
    21. The Promise (solo piano)
    22. The River
    23. Backstreets
    24. Land of Hope & Dreams
    Encores:
    25. Born in the USA
    26. Born To Run
    27. Glory Days
    28. Seven Nights To Rock
    29. Dancing In The Dark
    30. Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out
    31. Rocky Ground
    32. American Land

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

amazing gig! best Bruce one I've been to, he played loads of songs from my wishlist. Loved the Jake story, he's a great addition to the band. Was pitch standing, bout half way back and sound was grand, was so happy to be there that I probably wouldn't have noticed though!

Thanks for putting up the setlist - 32 songs, wow :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

That was a spectacle to say the least!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭SB-08

Went to both nights. A truly amazing 7 hours of music. The man is in a league of his own - without question the best live act on the planet. Managed to get right up at the stage. The setlists for both nights were incredible. 15 different songs tonight, only big downside was the lack of Thunder Road. Very surprised he left that out but there was a ridiculous amount of highlights. I can't think of many acts that can play two 3.5 hour gigs and still have **** loads of amazing songs left over. The sheer amount of great songs he has is quite something. Hearing Backstreets live was brilliant. Was hoping for Jungleland but it hasnt been played since Clarence passed apparently. Can't decide which night was better. Rosie from last night prob gives it the edge as it was so great live.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Better tonight than last night, I reckon, though Bruce did seem to struggle vocally once or twice. Atlantic City was super, and Because The Night was just mind-blowing, with brilliant guitar work from Nils, and thumping support from Max.

Vids uploading to https://www.youtube.com/user/CycleDub right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

That was probably for me the best Bruce gig ever. I've been to almost every Dublin show in the past 10 years and 2 in NJ. The set list above speaks for itself. The encore was EPIC. We all got our money's worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,402 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

i wonder did Bruce Springsteen meet up with Rufus Wainwright who was playing the Iveagh Gardens.

What hotel Did Bruce Stay in ?

I reckon he might stay in Ireland for the next few days his next gig is not til monday or tuesday in Norway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

ct_roy wrote: »
    anyone know if the switching on of the flood lights at 10pm on the button is related to the curfew? seemed a bit odd I thought.

No, crowd lights always come up and stay up on Born To Run.

Both nights were epic, hands down the two best Springsteen gigs I've been to and the others were 08 and 09 both with Jungleland and Giants final gig.

Picking one of the two is night on impossible, but simply because of Backstreets and Adam Raised A Cain tonight wins out. Both of them just made the two days for me.

I'm now off to try, somehow, be fit for work in the morning

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭CiaranK

Amazing two gigs. Gonna do a very detailed review tomorrow when I have the energy if anyone is interested in reading it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Given that i'm only home now and work calls in 5 hours, i wont say much right now except that it was utterly amazing and i managed to get a pit pass at 10 to 5 :D

WHAT. A. SHOW.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭musicmania

What an amazing two nights. Completely different nights and while I loved both last night does edge it. Hearing No Surrender live will always be a highlight for me. I was in the pit both nights, around row 20 starting off the first night and ending at row 10 but row 5 last night :) Wasn't amused at the fecking camera police on Tuesday but thankfully it was after a couple of hours and no problems on that score last night. Bruce and the band were in top form and while I did miss Clarence Jake done a great job and from where I was standing last night I could see he was in a lot of pain. I felt Nils was a little off form the first night but he was electric last night.
    So happy I was able to go to both gigs and even though I have blisters on the soles of my feet it is worth the pain ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Great gig, the last hour was something else and the weather played ball as well. Thought the sound was patchy at times. 3 and a half hours and still so many songs i'ld love to have heard. Because the Night was pure class.

Some people besides me spent their time with their back to the stage chatting away to their friends. Oh the fools

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

i've said it before and i'll say it again, the RDS is the worst outdoor venue for a gig in ireland, just awful. the wind swirls around the whole time, couldn't make a thing out at the back of the place which seemed about a mile away from the stage.

toilets were like horse boxes.

on a more positive note he played something in the night, adam raised a cane and jackson cage all of which were great. something in the night in particular was a highlight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

PTH2009 wrote: »
    i wonder did Bruce Springsteen meet up with Rufus Wainwright who was playing the Iveagh Gardens.

What hotel Did Bruce Stay in ?

I reckon he might stay in Ireland for the next few days his next gig is not til monday or tuesday in Norway.

Usually stays in the Merrion, not sure if that is the case this time

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Last minute decision to go, not a big fan (until last night that is). I am glad I found a ticket at the last minute.
    3 hours 15 minutes. That's, like, unreal (I've been to hundreds of concert and this is the second longest I've ever been to - first being one of the epicly long gigs of The Cure).

And another absolutely amazing thing: 32 songs, 16 of them different than the first night (and if I check previous concerts, there are even more songs played!!). I mean, who does that nowadays. Most artists just play the same setlist night after night after night!!!

I stand in awe at his/their art!!!!

P.S. Couldn't resist buying a t-shirt afterwards. 35 euros, kind of expensive, but I was so euphoric that I didn't even blink to think about it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Nils Lofgren was on the radio the other morning, and Pat Kenny cheekily asked him would the Boss let him play any of his own stuff at the gigs, sounding deadly serious he said that of Bruce's 300 odd songs, it was a privelege to play any 30 of them on any given night. That kind of camaraderie and respect isn't to be sniffed at in the times we live in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭EyesClosed

Irish Aris wrote: »
    P.S. Couldn't resist buying a t-shirt afterwards. 35 euros, kind of expensive, but I was so euphoric that I didn't even blink to think about it!!!

Just bought one off the website, cost me 33 euro including post, happy enough in my saving of 2 euro haha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Sideshow Mark

who_ru wrote: »
    i've said it before and i'll say it again, the RDS is the worst outdoor venue for a gig in ireland, just awful. the wind swirls around the whole time, couldn't make a thing out at the back of the place which seemed about a mile away from the stage.

toilets were like horse boxes.

Been to Croker, Marlay Park, Malahide Castle, Slaine and the Rds and have to say that RDS is my favourite. Sound was grand apart from the start of the first night. I was standing about 8 rows from the front. Was there for the music not the drink, so toilets weren't an issue although the ones near the pit entrance were grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

Bateman wrote: »
    Usually stays in the Merrion, not sure if that is the case this time

Yep he was staying in the Merrion. Seems to be replacing the 4 Seasons as the place to stay, Tom Petty was also there recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭boccy23

Absolutely amazing night. The weather was perfect. I actually like the RDS. It's compact and lends itself to the Bosses big sound.

Personal highlights were No Surrender, Ties that Bind, Becuase the Night and Backstreets. Loved Backstreets. There was people around me who didn't know it at the start but were rocking out by the end.

I thought this was the best perfromance by the E Street band that I have seen. Their sound was massive. Loved the new members who are really helping the energy of the show. Nils was on fire. My wife, who wouldn't bee a Bruce fan, was so impressed with his new stuff. I was playing it on the iPod on the way home and she couldn't believe they were the same songs. But that's the amazing live quality of Bruce but especially the band.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

Yep he was staying in the Merrion. Seems to be replacing the 4 Seasons as the place to stay, Tom Petty was also there recently.

He was staying in the 4 Seasons with Patti while the band 'slummed' it in The Merrion this time seemingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

The bad:

Got p!ssed off I couldn't get a pit pass despite seeing a couple of people get "the last one" just ahead of me from a couple of different security guys. I know I wasn't there the earliest, but reports from the previous day had given me hope. €35 for t-shirts is taking the mickey (although to be fair there were a couple of designs there for €20, but all the tour shirts were €35). I always like to buy a shirt at a gig, but it's seriously hard to justify doing it at that price.

The ugly:

The sound. Where I was standing it was terrible for pretty much the entire gig. I'm not ready to agree with whoever said the RDS has the worst sound of any outdoor venue in Dublin (that honour goes to Lansdowne Road, although the new stadium may be better, I haven't been to a gig there yet) but after last night, it has definitely moved up the rankings. I wasn't at the back of the arena either, I was on the pitch near enough level with the sound desk. All I could hear during Born In The USA was the bass!

The good:

The weather (just about). Amazing setlist, amazing band. A touching tribute to Clarence. Bruce laughing his head off at the fact that Jake had sneezed and thrown his back out at the end of the previous night's show. Nils' solo during Because The Night (thought Steve was quiet by his usual standards, though). That performance of Rocky Ground. Bruce and Steve in hats....:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

I reckon he might stay in Ireland for the next few days his next gig is not til monday or tuesday in Norway.[/QUOTE]

He's coming to a house party in my gaff at the weekend :D

Advertisement