Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bruce Springsteen General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭boccy23

blastman wrote: »
    The bad:

Got p!ssed off I couldn't get a pit pass despite seeing a couple of people get "the last one" just ahead of me from a couple of different security guys. I know I wasn't there the earliest, but reports from the previous day had given me hope. €35 for t-shirts is taking the mickey (although to be fair there were a couple of designs there for €20, but all the tour shirts were €35). I always like to buy a shirt at a gig, but it's seriously hard to justify doing it at that price.

The ugly:

The sound. Where I was standing it was terrible for pretty much the entire gig. I'm not ready to agree with whoever said the RDS has the worst sound of any outdoor venue in Dublin (that honour goes to Lansdowne Road, although the new stadium may be better, I haven't been to a gig there yet) but after last night, it has definitely moved up the rankings. I wasn't at the back of the arena either, I was on the pitch near enough level with the sound desk. All I could hear during Born In The USA was the bass!

The good:

The weather (just about). Amazing setlist, amazing band. A touching tribute to Clarence. Bruce laughing his head off at the fact that Jake had sneezed and thrown his back out at the end of the previous night's show. Nils' solo during Because The Night (thought Steve was quiet by his usual standards, though). That performance of Rocky Ground. Bruce and Steve in hats....:D

Would agree with that. Needed to be called on to join in a lot more than usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

boccy23 wrote: »
    Would agree with that. Needed to be called on to join in a lot more than usual.

Same for Nils. Very underused. Hes the best musician in the band.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭musicmania

I felt Nils was subdued a little on Tuesday but much more alert and into it last night and vice versa for Steve. I suppose not everyone can have the stamina of The Boss!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭McGrath5

I'm still in state of a shock from the past 2 nights, that was just incredible, a pure privilege to see the Boss and the E street band live for nearly 7 hours over 2 nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭The Swordsman

A question for anyone in the pit last night or at least nearer to the stage than I was.

After Bruce and the guys took their bows and said their goodbyes, did the band come back out once more? I thought that they were going to do another song.

2 brilliant gigs. Totally exhausted. It's going to take a while to get over this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

Another eight

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭AhInFairness

A question for anyone in the pit last night or at least nearer to the stage than I was.

After Bruce and the guys took their bows and said their goodbyes, did the band come back out once more? I thought that they were going to do another song.

2 brilliant gigs. Totally exhausted. It's going to take a while to get over this.

American Land was the very last song.

There were a few seconds right before Bruce left the stage where it looked like he might come back for one more but he didn't.

I'm shattered today but still deliriously happy. That was my 9th time seeing him and it just gets better.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭Zardoz

My mother has been badgering me for quite a while to go and see the Boss,she is a huge fan .

I checked Ticketmaster at around 3.30 pm yesterday and saw that some more tickets had gone on sale ,and when I saw they were in block E near the stage I pounced.

I rang the mother immediately told her to get ready and left Cork at 4.15pm ,I know we were cutting it tight.
    En route there was a diversion on the main road near Cashel, typical.:mad:
    Arrived on Merrion road at 7.05pm,parked the car on a side road,walked about 15 minutes to the box office ,collected the tickets at 7.35 ,then headed into the ground and just sat into our seats when the Boss came out.Phew.smile.gif
    Luckily he started later last night compared to Tuesday night.

I thoroughly enjoyed the show,quality from beginning to end.
    We had a great view and the sound was excellent,in fact the best I've heard at an outdoor gig in a long time.
    Perhaps it was our proximity to the stage ,I've been to alot of concerts before primarily standing on the pitch and I've found the sound to be very poor.
    Too much bass ,that drowns out the lyrics but last night was just right.

3 hours and 15 minutes ,they played for,thats some going .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

just found this in my belongings from 1988

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

Still my favourite album of his. Must have been a great tour. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭The Swordsman

Still my favourite album of his. Must have been a great tour. :)

Was a great show in the RDS that day. Like this tour, he had a horn section with him. I particularly remember he played an acoustic Born To Run as the first song of the encores and played a brilliant Sweet Soul Music near the end.

A superb album and the fact that it followed up Born in the USA sums up Springsteen for me. He could have made BITUSA 2 which would have sold gazillions but he totally changed direction just like he did with Darkness after Born to Run and Nebraska after The River.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭boccy23

£18.50. :eek:
    €96.50 last night and booking fee.
    How times have changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

PTH2009 wrote: »
    i wonder did Bruce Springsteen meet up with Rufus Wainwright who was playing the Iveagh Gardens.

What hotel Did Bruce Stay in ?

I reckon he might stay in Ireland for the next few days his next gig is not til monday or tuesday in Norway.

Oslo on Saturday 21st

Yeah, already - can you believe it?!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 osullm

I was at the gig and it was amazing, but stupidly didnt bring any cash with me. Have been searching the internet for the dark blue womens t shirt that was on sale at the event, does anyone know where I could find it? Tearing my hair out here!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

osullm wrote: »
    I was at the gig and it was amazing, but stupidly didnt bring any cash with me. Have been searching the internet for the dark blue womens t shirt that was on sale at the event, does anyone know where I could find it? Tearing my hair out here!

Official shop?

Thats what I thought, figured it would definitely be there, unfortunately they dont have it, I got the impression from the website that they had the american tour t shirts but not the european. Back to google I suppose, but thanks! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

This one?

They don't seem to have the ladies version though....

It was exactly the same colour, but had block black writing on the front. Thanks for having a look! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Rosalita

Oh my GOD! Could that have been any better?
    This was my 7th and 8th time seeing the band and Bruce and last nights show ranks as my new number one. Bruce Springsteen, much to my friends amusement, has been one of the most constant things in my life for the last decade. Feeling down? Listen to Bruce. Got good news? Throw on Rosalita and dance like nobody's watching :) The last two nights have been some of the best to date and despite the aching back I would do it again and again!
    Made the pit both nights, 1st night we were about 7th row from the front after getting there at around midday. For the second night we decided to chill at the back of the pit and just enjoy the atmosphere.
    1st night: got a text from one of my friends in the stands who was attending her first Bruce concert in total amazement at the party that was going on on the floor. And a party it was!Starting with Twist and Shout and segueing into I Fought the Law was the best response to the Hyde Park shenanigans! Highlights for me were I'm a Rocker (cheese-tastic but awesome!), Rosalita and My Hometown (surprisingly as it's the one song on Born in the USA that I ignore). Great energy but was hoping for a rarer song in the request spot when he took the Prove It All Night sign-even though it was brill! Nearly died when he played Rosalita-my favourite song in the whole wide world. I think the whole front rows jumping up and down was what put my back out (like Jake :) but it was TOTALLY worth it!

Second night-further back in the pit where it wasn't as intense as the previous night but still had a great time where you had plenty of room to jump around like an idiot! What a perfect opener in This Hard Land in an acoustic format! From then on it was all systems go! Great opening pack and when he hadn't played Wrecking Ball by the 7th song I knew we were in for a long one. Don't want to go on but the songs from the new album really impressed me live (apart from Easy Money-was hoping for Shackled and Drawn!). The highlight from the new album was definitely Jack of All Trades and Nil's guitar outro with the loud cheer after "I'd find the bastards and shoot them on sight" line. Thought Nils was superb and loved him and Bruce hamming it up for Darlington County. Too many highlights to mention but The Promise-The River-Backstreets was a real holy hell moment!
    Sorry for going on-still on a high. If rumours are to be believed could we be in for a repeat next summer? Starting to save now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭tracert

boccy23 wrote: »
    £18.50. :eek:
    €96.50 last night and booking fee.
    How times have changed.
    20110312-060044-331637.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,051 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Rosalita wrote: »
    Oh my GOD! Could that have been any better?
    This was my 7th and 8th time seeing the band and Bruce and last nights show ranks as my new number one. Bruce Springsteen, much to my friends amusement, has been one of the most constant things in my life for the last decade. Feeling down? Listen to Bruce. Got good news? Throw on Rosalita and dance like nobody's watching :) The last two nights have been some of the best to date and despite the aching back I would do it again and again!
    Made the pit both nights, 1st night we were about 7th row from the front after getting there at around midday. For the second night we decided to chill at the back of the pit and just enjoy the atmosphere.
    1st night: got a text from one of my friends in the stands who was attending her first Bruce concert in total amazement at the party that was going on on the floor. And a party it was!Starting with Twist and Shout and segueing into I Fought the Law was the best response to the Hyde Park shenanigans! Highlights for me were I'm a Rocker (cheese-tastic but awesome!), Rosalita and My Hometown (surprisingly as it's the one song on Born in the USA that I ignore). Great energy but was hoping for a rarer song in the request spot when he took the Prove It All Night sign-even though it was brill! Nearly died when he played Rosalita-my favourite song in the whole wide world. I think the whole front rows jumping up and down was what put my back out (like Jake :) but it was TOTALLY worth it!

Second night-further back in the pit where it wasn't as intense as the previous night but still had a great time where you had plenty of room to jump around like an idiot! What a perfect opener in This Hard Land in an acoustic format! From then on it was all systems go! Great opening pack and when he hadn't played Wrecking Ball by the 7th song I knew we were in for a long one. Don't want to go on but the songs from the new album really impressed me live (apart from Easy Money-was hoping for Shackled and Drawn!). The highlight from the new album was definitely Jack of All Trades and Nil's guitar outro with the loud cheer after "I'd find the bastards and shoot them on sight" line. Thought Nils was superb and loved him and Bruce hamming it up for Darlington County. Too many highlights to mention but The Promise-The River-Backstreets was a real holy hell moment!
    Sorry for going on-still on a high. If rumours are to be believed could we be in for a repeat next summer? Starting to save now :)

Great review Rosalita....where did you see the rumours for next year? Cant wait to see him again

eh i dunno wrote: »
    Great review Rosalita....where did you see the rumours for next year? Cant wait to see him again
    Just random rumours I saw on the backstreets website about the tour continuing on until next year. Dates were put up for further American shows on Ticketmaster last week but were taken back down so maybe more US shows will be added before we get any concrete information. Rumours of a Stade de France gig next year alongside Copenhagen so fingers crossed for a return to Ireland. Would give anything for a residency in the O2 but may as well dream :D

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭rebel without a clue

iv been to springsteen gigs before and have always enjoyed them. so when the tickets went on sale for this tour, i said feck it, im buying tickets for both gigs!!
    It was the best money i ever spent on concert tickets!! went down at about 5.30 and went in a quieter entrance by simmonscourt (def wasnt the main entrance) i had pitch standing and asked the stewart was there any pit passes left and he gave me one! couldnt believe my luck! i was hearing all sorts about the length of the queues so i thought there was no way i was gonna get one! was about half way from the front of the pit. it was just brilliant! what madw it better was that there were no drunk idiots or talkers around us, so we could listen to and enjoy every second of that epic gig! thought nils was a bit off?? didnt notice any sound problems first night?

The second night we were down again at about 5.30 and went in the same entrance but they wouldnt give us pit passes(the guy had loads of them). gave no reason either. so we went in along and i went over to another stewart and asked. he looked to see my ticket and then also said no because we had seated tickets. pit passes are only for pitch standing ticket holders. never heard that one before??? anyway we took our seats and once again was blown away by his performance. i mean is this guy even human?! nils was better 2nd night and i though steve was off?? was his guitar out of tune or something cause he kept looking to the side of stage and point at guitar at one point. sound was a bit dodge in places but definetly not enough to put people, i thought. i knew every song from both nights and again was lucky not to be around idiots more worried about drink and conversation, than the actual gig. i mean they are the people that give out about the price of tickets and then are only paying half attention to the gig and then criticise it.

if he does a follow on tour, like he did with magic and working on a dream, ill be buying tickets for all nights again!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,133 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Taught was great gig last night first time seeing himself and wasnt let down.

Me mates who where there have seen him plenty times before so was new to me and me girlfriend so apart from being in bits at the end from standing in same spot for nearly 4 hours it was all good!!! :pac:

Anyone else spot or hear the prick in the green top who was pissed out his face shouting **** about Ireland and the EU??

He was right beside me some couple had to calm him down but he then started on someone lol.

pit passes are only for pitch standing ticket holders. never heard that one before???

That's always been the case. I don't know why anyone would think otherwise tbh. Not being smart or anything, but there are a certain number of tickets sold for certain parts of the venue. They can hardly let people who are meant to be in the stands onto the pitch.

Great talk of Australia next March.

That's always been the case. I don't know why anyone would think otherwise tbh. Not being smart or anything, but there are a certain number of tickets sold for certain parts of the venue. They can hardly let people who are meant to be in the stands onto the pitch.

well this is the first gig iv been to where i wasnt aloud anywhere other than the stands. i mean iv had seated tickets before and was still allowed onto pitch. i thought that if you get down early to a venue you'd get pit passes no matter what. obviously im wrong. anyways i cant give out cause i saw him both nights!!

well this is the first gig iv been to where i wasnt aloud anywhere other than the stands. i mean iv had seated tickets before and was still allowed onto pitch. i thought that if you get down early to a venue you'd get pit passes no matter what. obviously im wrong. anyways i cant give out cause i saw him both nights!!

Whatever about getting onto the pitch (I did it once before myself because I knew a security guard but it isn't the done thing, capacity issues can't allow for that) but getting one of a limited number of pit passes when you're not meant to be on the pitch at all would be taking the piss.

Nothing will ever top last night for me..not only did I get to shake his hand but I made him laugh in the process. Amazing.

There's nothing worse than being surrounded by those chatting and messing around-that's why I have no problem spending hours queueing as you will be beside people who are genuinly into the band. Would agree that on the first night Stevie really hammed it up and Nils was quite then on the next night the opposite was true. Loved the Nils sign that Bruce got. :) Does anyone else hate how he takes kids up to sing on Waiting on a Sunny Day? I just find the whole thing uncomfortable when you see the parents literally launching the kids up at that point. Although I'm probably a hypocrite because I loved when he took that woman up on the first night for Dancing in the Dark-she was genuinly overcome.

how did you make him laugh?

• Advertisement

Rosalita wrote: »
    Although I'm probably a hypocrite because I loved when he took that woman up on the first night for Dancing in the Dark-she was genuinly overcome.

That reminds me! Last night during dancing in the dark when he brought the girl with the badge covered hat up on stage, did the other girl just make a run for Jake? I saw her running and then the camera was on her beside Jake!

Advertisement