Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bruce Springsteen General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭AhInFairness

how did you make him laugh?

I was right by the barrier on the left hand side of the stage where you could see the hospitality area. We saw him arrive and he casually strolled over. There was this huge rush of people behind me and I had people literally trying to climb over me to shake his hand. I said "Bruce! They're killing me! They're killing me!" and he laughed and found my hand in the sea of arms and shook it.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭rebel without a clue

[QUOTE=Does anyone else hate how he takes kids up to sing on Waiting on a Sunny Day? I just find the whole thing uncomfortable when you see the parents literally launching the kids up at that point. Although I'm probably a hypocrite because I loved when he took that woman up on the first night for Dancing in the Dark-she was genuinly overcome.[/QUOTE]

ya im getting fed up of seeing parents launch their kids at bruce when he comes to the audience. that woman looked delighted to be dancing with him alright! i love seeing the older people still rocking out at gigs.

That reminds me! Last night during dancing in the dark when he brought the girl with the badge covered hat up on stage, did the other girl just make a run for Jake? I saw her running and then the camera was on her beside Jake!

i think they had a sign saying something like "if she can dance with you, can i dance with jake?" in fairness she didnt tear the arse out of it, she gave him a little hug and knew when to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

That reminds me! Last night during dancing in the dark when he brought the girl with the badge covered hat up on stage, did the other girl just make a run for Jake? I saw her running and then the camera was on her beside Jake!

She had a sign that said "In 2009 I danced with Bruce. 2012 I wanna dance with Jake!", he saw it, laughed and showed the crowd the sign and took her up and she ran over to Jake.

Blown away by that gig, I was lucky enough to get one of the "last" pit bands from one of the security guys at about 6. Brilliant brilliant night.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭what2do

It's interesting to read all these soooo positive posts about the gig. I was there as a take it or leave it person and thought iy could have been 1.5 hrs shorter.

I know I didn't know the music but the first hour or two it was like being in a bar wit background music, people were chatting, the seated people were seated.

HOWEVER... The last hour or so was fantastic and I got the bruce experience but next time for me I think it wil be a 9pm start!

• Advertisement

what2do wrote: »
    It's interesting to read all these soooo positive posts about the gig. I was there as a take it or leave it person and thought iy could have been 1.5 hrs shorter.

I know I didn't know the music but the first hour or two it was like being in a bar wit background music, people were chatting, the seated people were seated.

I think that would depend on where you were. The pit was a party. It always is at these shows because most of the people in there have most likely queued for a while to ensure they get passes. They're the people that know the music and love seeing the show.

If you don't know the music, particularly the older stuff then yeah, it might seem a bit long. I guarantee you, if you were a fan, the gig wouldn't be long enough :)

HOWEVER... The last hour or so was fantastic and I got the bruce experience but next time for me I think it wil be a 9pm start!

thats a pity. cant understand people that constantly chat and are in and out to the bar. they may aswell be at home having drinks with a cd on in the back ground. why pay that much money and not get the full benefit? seated people are always slow to get up i find. but my friend has a bad knee so prefers the seat, she dances sitting down! hands up with her good leg moving to the beat!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Rosalita

Found this vid on you tube-love the part at 19 seconds when Nils goes woah to the response! Jake was immense too-loved Spirit in the Night when the lyrics were changed to refer to his accident http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAWMCe4FtvQ

• Registered Users Posts: 45 jungleland86

If people moan about these gigs I just take it as proof that some people will never be happy. As someone who's been to hundreds of gigs I can say that no-one gives the crowd their money's worth more than Bruce and the last two nights in Dublin were no different.

It's also true that no artist is more misunderstood by some of the casual fans/event junkies that attend his gigs, he's not some schlock merchant like Meatleaf or Billy Joel who'll phone it in and play the same well known songs over and over again. This man is the real deal, there is substance to his brand of rock n' roll, he's like a mix of Bob Dylan, Joe Strummer and James Brown.

The event junkies who just want to say they were there might like a few radio hits and 1hr 30mins show but what's better value then giving the crowd the hits and a lot more in a truly epic (an overused word but its usage is justified in this case) 3hr+show. They weren't into it for the first half of the show? They should listen to more of his music then.

Praise must be given to Aiken promotions for a really well organised pit/pit queue and well organised gig overall. MCD could learn a thing or two about how to run a gig from them. Such an enjoyable few days!

no-one gives the crowd there money's worth more than Bruce and the last two nights in Dublin were no different.

This man is the real deal, there is substance to his brand of rock n' roll, he's like a mix of Bob Dylan, Joe Strummer and James Brown.

The event junkies who just want to say they were there might like a few radio hits [/QUOTE]

"event junkies" - so true!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

nm wrote: »
    I was lucky enough to get one of the "last" pit bands from one of the security guys at about 6. Brilliant brilliant night.

I got one at 18:50!!! After driving down from Donegal, leaving 3 month old for the first time and making it to sister's house at twenty past, I couldn't believe it when the second steward we asked just put the wristbands on us!

Fantastic gig, great mix of songs, great sound, the weather behaving itself and I loved the messing around, he's such a kid! The man is a true legend and has so much energy - how the hell does he do it?! I was knackered!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

I know I didn't know the music

What2do indeed......here's an idea! Buy Darkness on the Edge of Town! The Wild the Innocent and the E-Street Shuffle! Born to Run! The River! Nebraska! Devils and Dust! Magic! Ghost of Tom Joad! The Rising! etc. etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

I guarantee you, if you were a fan, the gig wouldn't be long enough :)

Well that goes without saying.....

For me I'd go along with the earlier poster.

I saw Paul Simon last week and Springsteen on Tuesday, they were both brilliant gigs but if you were to ask me, which of them would you like to watch tomorrow night it would be Paul Simon.

Having said that, I take your point on the pit. It looked like savage crack from where I was; if anything that might be a minor criticism I'd have had of the Springsteen gig, that he was playing more to the pit than the wider audience, spent so much time shaking hands with people, picking the signs up and so on.......doesnt mean much when you are watching it on a video screen 300 feet away.

Small criticism, but given the deity he seems to be in some people's eyes even that is probably not allowed.

i think im on a bit of come down now!! was looking forward to this for ages and now iv nothing much to be planning!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

i think im on a bit of come down now!! was looking forward to this for ages and now iv nothing much to be planning!

Stick on the Barca DVD, that'll cheer you up no end.....:D

Tombo2001 wrote: »

Small criticism, but given the deity he seems to be in some people's eyes even that is probably not allowed.

I have absolutely no problem with criticism, once it's informed criticism. You have admitted to not knowing any of the recent stuff, or "the noughties albums" as you called them. That includes Wrecking Ball, Working on a Dream, Magic, The Rising and The Seeger Sessions stuff. That's a lot of music to not be aware of. Also, I don't believe he was simply playing to the pit. What did you expect him to do for people 300 feet away? Run down the middle of the pitch to shake their hands? He played for everyone. That was obvious.

Someone going to a gig like this where the artitst gives a long show filled with old and new music, with a "take it or leave it" attitude and not knowing much of the music isn't really someone who can give a fair assessment of whether or not the gig was a good one.

The show felt too long because you don't know the music. It's really that simple. Enjoying it doesn't make you some blind fanboy who sees Springsteen as a god that can't be criticised.

Dr. Nick wrote: »
    Stick on the Barca DVD, that'll cheer you up no end.....:D

Definitely.

Live in New York from 2001 is still one of my all time favourites.

Best rendition of Tenth Avenue Freeze Out I've ever heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

If you dont know what to be doing with yourself you could do worse than spending a couple of hours watching this

Last night was the best Bruce gig I've ever been to. I was a casual onlooker before, always loved his live show but I GET him now....time to start investing in the back catalogue.

he has some energy! i reckon at 62 years their sex life is still awesome!! what age is patti? she is always throwing him looks when he sings with her. im not at all jealous...........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

Can't stop smiling after that concert, was such a feel good gig. Actually loved it to bits, was my first bruce concert, never managed/couldn't afford to go to any others when I was in college. The wait after all the years of listening was worth it. Notable moments for me were
    - Jack of all trades (Fantastic!!!)
    - Waiting on a sunny day (crowd were great)
    - The River
    - We are Alive (Loved the story telling)
    Obviously then the old Favs in the encore.

As said, bruce is the real deal! Some value, i'd have paid double. Also don't get how people could go and head in and out of the bar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

I don't know if it's just me but his voice seems to just get better with age for me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Martin_ie2012

Wow what a show last night, was my first bruce show and certainly exceeded my expectations. Particularly the encore when everyone just rocked out but also loved his slower/quieter songs. Particularly enjoyed his opener this hard land which i hadnt heard before and Jack of all trades was great. Also delighted he played Adam raised a Cain, great tune. The only negative was and I know this is nothing to do with bruce, but ended up being surrounded by a bunch of loud idiots who continously talked throughout most of the show and kept going in and out to the bar, (a bottle wasnt enough they were buying boxes of beer at a time and spent most of the show telling people passing to mind the beer and not knock the box)Also was a little distracting with people constantly going in and out and pushing past.
    Anyway despite that was a top class show probably best concert ive ever been to and bruce and the band were fantastic. Think next time and there will definitely be a next time for me, cant come soon enough as far as im concerned, I will try for pit where it seems the genuine fans go or failing that will hang further back where there is more space and can enjoy the concert not surrounded by loud drunken idiots.
    Anyway enough for now, from a former casual fan to a now hardcore Bruce fan who will invest in his back catalogue. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭CiaranK

Well, that was amazing...

I could leave it at just 'that was amazing' but that would be such an understatement.

It started on Monday in Tower for me. I was in the guestlist zone for Stevie's radio broadcast. Once the news camera went I was two feet away from Steve all night. Two feet away from Mr Steve Van Zandt, many times he talked right to me when discussing the music he was playing. I got some stuff signed and a photograph. I took some photos for other people and gave him my maker to use and he came over and said 'You're my man'. I was delighted. The man has so much knowledge. I was suitably impressed. He was also very funny cracking jokes throughout. I seen the radio broadcast from tower in '09, but this time was much better because the store was closed and it was much more intimate. Only 300 where as last time 3000 passed through the shop during the broadcast. I got a final handshake before he left. I flew by the Merrion on my way to check out the situation at the RDS. Didn't see anyone at the hotel so just kept going. When I got to the RDS there were people in tents and others sitting around. I had a chat with them and there was already 300 numbers given out. That is dedication. I for one couldn't do that. Went home to bed buzzing both from meeting Steve and knowing what was coming the next day

Tuesday 17th of July, 8.15am, Beep Beep Beep, Alarm goes off. I get up and just shout Brooooooooooccccceeee!!! The day had finally arrived. My second time to see the main man, and my first in the pit. Get the dart to Sandymount and head up to the que. I get number 698 at 11.15. Not bad at all So there was a roll call very soon after. Me and my da go for a walk and have something to eat. Had a chat with some nice folks. Back in the que at 1.30 for the next rollcall and listen to the soundcheck, Spirit and E Street Shuffle. Great stuff Got stamped and a wristband and we were brought to the venue at about 4.30 or so. Got about 7 rows from the stage in front of Stevie. Lots more waiting around on this lovely sunny day untill showtime. Big power switch pushed onto the stage and moments later the band walk out. IT'S BOSS TIME! And with that they 'carry on form where they were so rudely interrupted' with twist and shout into I Fought The Law. The songs just kept on coming, even Rosie came out. That was the definition of fun!! The whole switch and police was really cool I thought.

This started off detailed and I'm just so tired and in a fair amount of pain from all the standing around I won't do too much more, the shows have been reviewed on here a few times already.

Met some great people on Night 2. Don't know if they are on here but I'll give a shout out anyway. I was wearing the white fisher type hat and had long hair in case I met you. Scott and his wife from California and their friend from Cardiff with the super cool T-Shirts they made, I didn't get or can't remember anyone elses name. The guy from Edinburgh who was goin to the airport and flying out that night, The two lads from Rathfarnham or was it Rathcoole, Another guy from America, Colm and Amelia who I've talked too, The folks organising the que, the couple (Man from England who told me about the 'secret' toilets and woman from Germany I think) and anyone else I had the pleasure of meeting. The pit and the que was so pleasant with you all there

Instead of doing a detailed review of both concerts I will finish as I started, with the understatement of the decade, That was amazing!!

Some HD's too

And a photo below

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭madalig12

Anyone else spot or hear the prick in the green top who was pissed out his face shouting **** about Ireland and the EU??

He was right beside me some couple had to calm him down but he then started on someone lol.[/Quote]

I think you are talking about the guy being manhandled by a huge bouncer wearing red and being passed to about five guards during Born in the usa.

• Site Banned Posts: 385 ✭✭pontia

saw tunnel of love in 88 and other shows since,hate rds,awful place,refused to go again,each show got worse,u2 the same,cant listen to that prick,bono not bruce,would have gone if o2

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Hamlet.

Anyone know where to pick up a couple of those cool Spirngsteen USA bandanas that were being sold outside the grounds? Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

I have absolutely no problem with criticism, once it's informed criticism. You have admitted to not knowing any of the recent stuff, or "the noughties albums" as you called them. That includes Wrecking Ball, Working on a Dream, Magic, The Rising and The Seeger Sessions stuff. That's a lot of music to not be aware of. Also, I don't believe he was simply playing to the pit. What did you expect him to do for people 300 feet away? Run down the middle of the pitch to shake their hands? He played for everyone. That was obvious.

Someone going to a gig like this where the artitst gives a long show filled with old and new music, with a "take it or leave it" attitude and not knowing much of the music isn't really someone who can give a fair assessment of whether or not the gig was a good one.

The show felt too long because you don't know the music. It's really that simple. Enjoying it doesn't make you some blind fanboy who sees Springsteen as a god that can't be criticised.

I agree with you. I am in that category that I haven't been listening to his music for years now (just a temporary reconnection for the magic album). I bought the ticket on the same day (went on Wednesday) because a colleague that went on Tuesday came in the office Wednesday morning and in minutes she passed her euphoria to me. Haven't heard the new album at all and I din't know half the songs in the setlist. But you know what? I wasn't bored at all!! Not one minute. 18 people on stage, his voice still sounding amazing (I know it's not everybody's cup of tea, but that's it, take it or leave it), he was going up and down. . .You get the picture.

For me the idea of a great concert is when you go to the concert out of curiosity or interest for the artist and after 2-3 hours you leave a fan. That was the story for me and Bruce this time, now I am starting deep investigation in his back catalogue, so I can be ready for the next time!!

(Only minus for me on Wednesday was I didn't get to hear Murder Incorporated. He played it on Tuesday. . . one of my favourite Bruce Springsteen songs ever!)

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭loverslane

Ok my tuppence worth - home after three great nights and two fantastic gigs. Both so different to each other. Got 340 at midnight of Mon night and did our big queue that day and got to the centre podium - not exactly on the barrier but still within spitting distance. Great gig - only marred by those who thought it was a great idea to push past us to get further to the front - but wasn't happening - we managed to get rid of most of them. But I got a little seperated from my husband and the people who did that were so ignorant. I called him up beside me and the lady of the couple turned around and said "he's taller than me - there is no way I am letting him in". FFS we had queued all day long - they had no numbers. I'm little but I take my spot and if there is someone taller than me so be it. I don't push past - I am there to enjoy the music. Got a great photo of Bruce looking straight at me. He came down a lot to the centre podium. Could've squished in for a handshake but I've held hands with him before so was happy to stand in my spot and take in the view :-)

Night 2 - well what can I say - got 549 this time. Decided on a bit of a lie in and weren't that pushed to be up near front so once wristbanded we headed to the Badlands party and mozied up and got there 6.05 and still got a great spot on left podium where he did Sunny Day. What a gig though - opener This Hard Land acoustic!!!!!!! Heard The Promise in Manchester but The Promise into The River into Backstreets - wow. Many salty tears were cried. Had a text from a friend "is this really happening". He was in great form. Poor Jake got a ribbing but well able to take it. Was with a great bunch of people. Lots of us little ones but we all had a great view. We had a few drunken louts pushing up but we pushed them back. They seem to think it is their right to push farther up. Always love 7 Nights and was great to hear it again. Atlantic City fab and delighted he brought back Rocky Ground. Land of Hope and Dreams is just fantastic.

Enjoyed every last single second of it - from start to finish. What pure unadulterated fun. Liver now needs a good rest. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Irish Aris wrote: »
    (Only minus for me on Wednesday was I didn't get to hear Murder Incorporated. He played it on Tuesday. . . one of my favourite Bruce Springsteen songs ever!)
    It's not one of my favourite songs at all, but it was feckin brilliant live - really breathed new life into it.

Only minus for me was no Thunder Road on either night, after that incredible performance at Hyde Park. Bummer... must write him a stiff letter of protest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

I was right by the barrier on the left hand side of the stage where you could see the hospitality area. We saw him arrive and he casually strolled over. There was this huge rush of people behind me and I had people literally trying to climb over me to shake his hand. I said "Bruce! They're killing me! They're killing me!" and he laughed and found my hand in the sea of arms and shook it.
    Hmm, this story sounds familiar....;)

Advertisement