Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bruce Springsteen General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭AhInFairness

blastman wrote: »
    I was right by the barrier on the left hand side of the stage where you could see the hospitality area. We saw him arrive and he casually strolled over. There was this huge rush of people behind me and I had people literally trying to climb over me to shake his hand. I said "Bruce! They're killing me! They're killing me!" and he laughed and found my hand in the sea of arms and shook it.
    Hmm, this story sounds familiar....;)

Sshhh you :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I got there at 4:30 on Wednesday and just walked straight through the Simmonscourt entrance. Scanned my ticket and then asked where do I get a pit pass only to be told that I get them outside and that I couldn't leave to get one. I walked across to the Merrion Road side of things and saw a few stewards handing out passes within the grounds so I walked up and got one without a problem. Then I got a call from my girlfriend who was delayed on the canal for a good 90 mins (she didn't pick the best way to approach the RDS). I explained it to a steward and how my girlfriend (Springsteen obsessive) would most likely kill me and she gave me another pass for her.

It seems that stewards were just given handfuls of passes and told to give them out until they had no more. I asked one person at the Simmonscourt entrance who said there was none left at all which deflated me a bit but then when I walked to the Merrion Road entrance they were handing them out like confetti. Had I not read Boards the day before and heard of people getting passes pretty late into the night then I would have taken that first stewards word at face value and been as persistent as I was.

I'm not going to criticise the organisers over the unpredictable allocation of pit passes though as it was by and large one of the best organised outdoor gigs that I've ever attended in the country. Kudos to Aiken (and of course The Boss) for putting on one hell of a show!

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭loverslane

Love Murder Inc live

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭CiaranK

One more HD, from Night 2 this time. The Promise

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

As posted on GL -

Myself and my mate were in the hotel having a glass of wine, not intending to stay that long unless there was something going on, turned out lots went on. First we spotted John Landau in the lobby, then Gil was buzzing around orgainizing whatever he organizes.....a few minutes later Charles came in from outside and we had a chat with him for a while, really good guy, I'd met him once before in Dublin. He said he didn't know for certain that Paul McCartney would be appearing but said that gary could see him in the wings on his side of the stage and Gary was saying to himself 'wohhhww, I'm playing base guitar in front of Paul McCartney' (i.e. don't **** up!)

So we went back to our Vouvray demi sec, which we were getting to last for quite a while at this stage. Roy came in but went straight up to his room. Then Charles came back and sat in the lobby on his own, after a while Bruce appeared and started to talk to Charles, we went back out to the lobby and stood discretely back as Gil and a hotel security guy stood close to them, we even stepped back a little more just in case. I had asked Gil was it ok, and he nodded and said 'just give it a minute' or something like that. Although there were other people milling around, we were the only two waiting to talk to Bruce.

We could hear some of the conversation, Bruce repeated what he said at the concert, i.e. 'I've waited 50 years for that moment....' and 'this guy (Macca) inspired generations of song writers'. Charles was nodding in agreement but I couldn't hear what he said. Again, we were trying to be as discrete as possible and giving them space for what was a private conversation so I didn't hear much else.

They spoke for maybe 5 minutes then Bruce gave him a hug and a clap on the back. I looked at Gil first he made a hand gesture and we went over to Bruce, shook his hand, thanked him, told him we enjoyed the show etc. He thanked us, told us it was a great show. I said I was looking forward to Dublin, he said me too. We didn't push it any further or ask for photos, it just didn't feel like the time to do it. So he said 'thanks guys' again and went outside to sign autographs. Of course it was going to be easy for me to get an autograph, I just followed him out after a few seconds and put my ticket (well, print-out!) in front of him as he signed a Rolling Stone mag for someone. Then off he went.

That's my ticket he's signing in the first photo.

Very brief meeting, and of course I forgot to ask him all that I had planned to but I'm happy.

We had a quick chat with Nils later also, he seemed unhappy about the curfew!

index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=7890
    index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=7891

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Bruce was in Keoghs last allegedly

Was in The Long Haul last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

not much to add, except what a show on wednesday night. myself and the mrs both first timers, and casual enough Bruce fans. I'd have most of tha albums from the Rising on, and would have some knowledge of the older stuff, but we were both blown away. kinda had an idea what to expect from seeing TV and DVD concerts, and even though there was a few songs i wasn't familiar with, it didn't effect the enjoyment of what are in general brilliantly written songs. what really suprised me was how well the wrecking ball stuff held up.....its a good enough album IMO but the live treatment really added to the songs. Re:pit passes, i was in the 'new' stand and couple of stewarts carrying a handful of passed well into the show. Quite liked the RDS.....a lot more compact than say croker and a good atmosphere. thought where we were anyway the stewarding was excellent and well run show .
    Personally missed him not playing Thunder Road....not a complaint as such but it's a personal favourite and was looking forward to it, but there you go....(Bruce you Bsatard!!!!!)
    I'm not a huge concert goer but i always wanted to see Bruce and the E's at least once before he retires....on the evidence this week he'll be around for a while yet!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

He was at the Waterboys gig in Iveagh Gardens tonight.

Seriously??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 Hifiman

CiaranK wrote: »
    Seriously??

Yes, I can confirm that Bruce was at the Waterboys show tonight, as he stood right beside me! No-one bothered him as far as I could see. Heard later that he went backstage just as the band finished and Mike Scott was gobsmacked!

Hifiman wrote: »
    Yes, I can confirm that Bruce was at the Waterboys show tonight, as he stood right beside me! No-one bothered him as far as I could see. Heard later that he went backstage just as the band finished and Mike Scot was gobsmacked!

Thats brilliant! I'm raging I didn't get to go in the end, would've loven to but the 2 nights of the boss man had me broke. I know this is off topic but were they good?

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭dolittle

thats a strange one
    the band left the hotel around 2 pm yesterday
    and headed straight to the airport

night 1, two ladies in front of my constantly talking
    looking over her shoulder
    saw her sending a message on her i-phone
    "thanks for the free tickets and pit passes"
    they were gone before the encore even started

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Hifiman

dolittle wrote: »
    thats a strange one
    the band left the hotel around 2 pm yesterday
    and headed straight to the airport

The band may have left yesterday but Bruce certainly didn't! (He was in Keoghs pub earlier and had a burger in Suffolk Street too.)

Hifiman wrote: »
    The band may have left yesterday but Bruce certainly didn't! (He was in Keoghs pub earlier and had a burger in Suffolk Street too.)

very intresting, seems to be traveling less with the band

• Registered Users Posts: 1 benm9219

Will there ever be some official vids of it in good quality. Would love to get full first night

dolittle wrote: »
    very intresting, seems to be traveling less with the band

Its coz Patti is back on tour....

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭rebel without a clue

when patti goes on tour, think they bring the family too, so they probably do their own thing when they have a few days off in between gigs.

when patti goes on tour, think they bring the family too, so they probably do their own thing when they have a few days off in between gigs.

Yes Jessica was onstage for one song on Night 1, someone said one of the sons was in the Long Hall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭loverslane

Several of my friends shook his hand on both nights and some got to share a drink with him at the Four Seasons on Thursday night. Chatted to them for a half an hour or so. Another girl I met this tour had her photo taken with him and by the looks of it it was on Wicklow Street - she said he was just casually walking down the street as was she - two security staff with him and he was really lovely to her. He is one cool, laid back, friendly guy. We met Max Monday night and had photos taken with him. Curt was in O'Donohues mixing with everyone as if he was just a local. I love our Boss and the best he brings out in people

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭musicmania

I had being asked to go to The Waterboys but felt too tired after the Bruce concerts and meeting friends in Dublin. Wish I had gone now!

Anyway my reason for coming here is to ask if anyone recorded No Surrender and a full version of Because the Night from night 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

musicmania wrote: »
    and a full version of Because the Night from night 2?
    I got most of it, it was the highlight of the 2nd night for me, with Nils really letting rip.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭madalig12

musicmania wrote: »
    I had being asked to go to The Waterboys but felt too tired after the Bruce concerts and meeting friends in Dublin. Wish I had gone now!

Anyway my reason for coming here is to ask if anyone recorded No Surrender and a full version of Because the Night from night 2?
    There is a no surrender vid if you youtube it and filter for last week. not great quality but its it. great tune

Allegedly Longest Ever Show tonight in Oslo, being disputed on BTX and other places.....3.49/3.47?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

Anyone else experiencing a man crush on bruce this week, cannot stop playing his music all week, looking at the videos. i've watched the barcelona gig and glastonbury gig, this week and listened to the albums on repeat!. Waiting on a sunny day in barcelona, enough said! He seriously is the boss!

From last night in Oslo - just fantastic watch! Who else does this??

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Dub Ste

Well,a week on and I'm still on a Brucie high..

The two shows last week were just stunning,both nights were fantastic for different reasons.

On the Wednesday night I thought I'd died and gone to heaven...................BACKSTREETS.........I've been waiting nearly 30 years to hear that,apparently he played it Birmingham on the Tunnel of Love tour,but my memory is shot to shiite these days,and I can't remember that far back

I had a look on the backstreets website,and there were some on there giving out saying that he only played American Land both nights because he was pandering to the Irish audience !! I don't care why he played it,I'm just glad he did,I love that song,as I love most of his songs.You get the impression that there is no pleasing some of the posters on that site.

I don't live in America so I don't get the chance to see him in multiple cities,I can't afford to go mainland Europe and see him in different countries,I live here,and when he comes here I just want to see him and The E Street Band,and to honest,I don't really care what he plays,I just enjoy being in the company of several thousand like minded people who just enjoy Bruce for his music.

I loved both nights,both nights had so many highlights,so many songs that stopped me in my tracks.
    We had a band that were on fire,a band leader supreme,and a crowd that were up for it from the get go,so,all in all,two fantastic nights,I really enjoyed it,I wish he was back in town next week........................

So,all I know is

Someday girl I don't know when
    we're gonna get to that place
    Where we really want to go
    and we'll walk in the sun
    But till then tramps like us
    baby we were born to run

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

The 2 gigs last week.... WONDERFUL, the high light of my year. totally amazing. Second night we got pit passes and only about 10 feet from the stage. Totally unreal. My feel are only now starting to come back to life after 2 nights of dancing and jumping around. Wish I could do it all over again. So many songs I had dreamed of hearing live.

The Boss really is the Boss. What a showman. Here's to next time

For anyone who has a spare half hour, this is well worth a read.

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2012/07/30/120730fa_fact_remnick?currentPage=all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 junior joo

This may be an unpopular post but here goes ...

Went to last Wednesday's concert and was a little bit under-whelmed overall. Now I've seen him twice before in the RDS and Belfast and I loved it. While I wouldn't have all his albums I'd have a good few. So I know more than just the big hits and I'm not an event junkie talker although there was a few annoying ones of those near me ! But I'm not the 100 Bruce gigs in the pit uber fan either. Anyway so much gets made of his epic 3 and a half hour gigs but I couldn't help but wonder during some of the songs if they were actually shorter would they be better. Seemed to me that some songs chugged on for 10 mins or so within choruses being repeated and the rhythm section plugging away while Bruce worked the crowd. Would they have actually been a bit better if they'd been a bit shorter ? Heretical I know but just a thought.

..... it could also just be the case that I was tired and cranky after a long day and only just made it to the concert before he started with no time for even one beer either!

Advertisement