Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bruce Springsteen General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 MatthewMonster

I will be so, so happy if that setlist is the one he plays in Kilkenny on the 27th, with the addition of
    the Promise.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,410 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

im seeing him in cork and Kilkenny this year and hope to god he plays
    Glory Days
    for at least one of them shows.

The song didnt appear on this setlist anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

I'd love if he played
    I'm on fire
    alot of my fav songs from him aren't on the set list....delighted about
    tenth avenue freeze out, loves what he does with the mic stand at the start
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

BTR full album live tonight in Stockholm, FFS the man is ridicilous......

• Registered Users Posts: 11 ThunderRoad94

Does anyone know what the story with the pit will be in Pairc Ui Chaoimh? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭tracert

Dr. Nick wrote: »
    BTR full album live tonight in Stockholm, FFS the man is ridicilous......

Darkness in full tonight

Does anyone know what the story with the pit will be in Pairc Ui Chaoimh? :rolleyes:

Same as everywhere else I'd presume.....some English people will organise the line and it will run just fine. Be there early and get a number.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭dolittle

i cant see any album shows for the kilkenny gigs with it having supports
    a lot of the pink cowboy hat brigade will be in attendance
    although i`d love to hear any album live in its entirety

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Would love nebraska at aosme stage on the Irish tour, possible Kilkenny 2 or Limerick :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

The tunnell of love album for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

dolittle wrote: »
    i cant see any album shows for the kilkenny gigs with it having supports
    a lot of the pink cowboy hat brigade will be in attendance
    although i`d love to hear any album live in its entirety

please god don't let this happen.

in a way I almost feel like not going to it under those circumstances, I'd rather just listen to albums at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,384 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Does anyone know if there will be support for Cork? If its Glen Hansard, I'll go there, if not, to kilkenny I go.

No support Cork Yoda, regular Bruce gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭dolittle

who_ru wrote: »
    please god don't let this happen.

in a way I almost feel like not going to it under those circumstances, I'd rather just listen to albums at home.

alas my friend i think it will be full of them
    especially with so many support acts
    may bide my time and not try to get near the front until all the beer swilling goons have collapsed full of beer and chips
    at least one greatest hits show on one of the two days in kilkenny methinks

dolittle wrote: »
    alas my friend i think it will be full of them
    especially with so many support acts
    may bide my time and not try to get near the front until all the beer swilling goons have collapsed full of beer and chips
    at least one greatest hits show on one of the two days in kilkenny methinks

Selfishly I really only want to hear up to and including BITUSA. After that I can take it or leave it.

I'm hoping Cork gets a full album - either Darkness or BTR or BITUSA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Can't see why you would be so excited to see a gig comprised of just one album tbh, (well I can see the appeal I guess) you can probably get a live edition of whatever the album is somewhere, now if it happened it happened and I am sure I would love it, but I would prefer to have some surprise in the set list and hear something I just wouldn't be expecting, hear him go from Im on Fire to Better Days and back to Thunder Road all in the space of 30 minutes, with a little 10th Avenue Freeze out and Wrecking Ball thrown in for good measure.

Variety is what makes live performance for me

As its called the Wreckin Ball weekender I am preparing myself for lots of songs from Wreckin Ball actually

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭CiaranK

kryogen wrote: »
    Can't see why you would be so excited to see a gig comprised of just one album tbh, (well I can see the appeal I guess) you can probably get a live edition of whatever the album is somewhere, now if it happened it happened and I am sure I would love it, but I would prefer to have some surprise in the set list and hear something I just wouldn't be expecting, hear him go from Im on Fire to Better Days and back to Thunder Road all in the space of 30 minutes, with a little 10th Avenue Freeze out and Wrecking Ball thrown in for good measure.

Variety is what makes live performance for me

As its called the Wreckin Ball weekender I am preparing myself for lots of songs from Wreckin Ball actually

Full Wrecking Ball album perhaps? :P

It has it's positives and negatives. It still has the variety before and after full albums, also not knowing the album gives you a surprise. But then some of the more casual fans may not know a lot of the album tracks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Yeah, you can't please all the people all of the time.

I'd love to see him do The Wild, the Innocent and the E-Street Shuffle in full, but I know damn well that half of it would sink like a stone. Even songs from the well known albums aren't always known. A bloke beside me in the RDS in 2003 didn't know Meeting Across the River, a track from arguably one of the two albums you'd assume everyone would be familiar with.

Full album performances are manna from heaven for most Bruce die hards, but are arguably a mixed bag for fair-weather fans.

Also, the fact remains that Bruce will do the obscure songs where he knows they'll be properly appreciated, hence the US getting Zero and Blind Terry and all sorts of weird s**t on the last tour, and Scandinavia, Italy and Spain getting their share of obscure songs too. Regrettably, it seems that the Irish audience are perceived, rightly or wrongly, as a "greatest hits" brigade (you can debate how much of a percentage this applies to) and as such, most lesser-known songs are done elsewhere.

Now, I don't say this to be disparaging: there's obviously nothing wrong with going along to see Bruce and not knowing the back catalogue inside out, but it's evident that certain territories will respond more to the lesser-known tracks than others, and Ireland is not one of those places.

Yes, he did 41 Shots a few years ago, and The Promise last year, but The Promise had been done a few times at that point, so it was hardly the rarity it once was. Based on trends over the last number of years, we're unlikely to get anything like Thundercrack, Roulette or Be True in Ireland.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

A lot of the 'fans' at KK will hardly know anything more than a few hits, it'll be all new stuff to them.
    And if we get the weather, the boss cant' be bettered for that party atmosphere.
    Guaranteed all diehard fans leaving the gig, whatever about coming in.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jossnjuice

tommy2bad wrote: »
    Guaranteed all diehard fans leaving the gig, whatever about coming in.

This...............all day long.......

One of my mates came with me last year, and was a greatest hits man..........but ever since, he was transformed......

• Advertisement

Oh, absolutely. I know someone who went to Tunnel of Love Express in the RDS, having been brought along by some work colleagues who had got freebies. She wasn't even a Greatest Hits fan: on her own admission, she didn't like Springsteen, and was just going to be sociable, and to appease them for all their enthusiasm. She thought it was amazing.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

I went to the RDS gig last year, just having heard that he was a good showman and wanted a gig to go to.. Left absolutely astounded..
    Now.. Well two shows here (Limerick and Cork) and also HRC.. that man has magical powers.

bennyl10 wrote: »
    I went to the RDS gig last year, just having heard that he was a good showman and wanted a gig to go to.. Left absolutely astounded..
    Now.. Well two shows here (Limerick and Cork) and also HRC.. that man has magical powers.

Good to hear benny!

On album shows, I think those going to multiple gigs will like at least one album show, maybe two, I'm going to seven so two would be nice. If you're going to one show then you might feel different.

A bloke beside me in the RDS in 2003 didn't know Meeting Across the River, a track from arguably one of the two albums you'd assume everyone would be familiar with.
    i was at one of the last years gigs in the rds, meet 2 lads a few days later who told me it was 90 mins into the show before they recogonised a song!

i was gobsmacked to say the least.

Dr. Nick wrote: »
    Good to hear benny!

On album shows, I think those going to multiple gigs will like at least one album show, maybe two, I'm going to seven so two would be nice. If you're going to one show then you might feel different.

Over rhe four irish dates, if the album shows continue(he plays tonight i think), id think at least should be full album shows.. with the weekender being a more 'greatest hits' set if you will.

Hopfully BTR or Nebraska.. thatd be perfection

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭tracert

who_ru wrote: »
    i was at one of the last years gigs in the rds, meet 2 lads a few days later who told me it was 90 mins into the show before they recogonised a song!

i was gobsmacked to say the least.

Bruce_spingsteen_greatest_hits.jpg

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Hopefully BTR or Nebraska.. that'd be perfection

I hate to say it, but Nebraska would die a roaring death in an outdoors arena. Plus, he'd have to radically rework the songs in order to utilise the band. I love the Seeger tour version of Open All Night (which would work very well), but he can't go reinventing everything on the album.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

Re"Guaranteed all diehard fans leaving the gig, whatever about coming in."

Ive seen the Boss twice and thought he was fantastic, but I didn't leave a diehard fan.

Ive seen better live shows than Springsteen, but he does put on a great show.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

poundhound wrote: »
    Re"Guaranteed all diehard fans leaving the gig, whatever about coming in."

Ive seen the Boss twice and thought he was fantastic, but I didn't leave a diehard fan.

Ive seen better live shows than Springsteen, but he does put on a great show.

Well I might have engaged in some hyperbole their :)
    Oh do tell, who was better? Myself the best gig I was ever at was The Duke and The King, but Springsteen never fails to be both entertaining and worth the price of admission (which is expensive btw)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

Well it's only my opinion, but Bowie and Roger Waters gigs have consistently blown me away.

I will say that Springsteens performance of "Adam raised a Cain" in the RDS last year will remain with me for a long time.

Advertisement