Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bruce Springsteen General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

29th Bruce show and one of the very best. The crowd were fantastic, bringing the shows out of Dublin certainly has had the desired effect.

Have gone to three shows this tour so far and got two pre-shows as well as Darkness, BITUSA and BTR in full......it's all downhill from here :D

Roll on tomorrow night - can the Cork crowd top that atmosphere?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,285 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Dr. Nick wrote: »
    Roll on tomorrow night - can the Cork crowd top that atmosphere?

No worries ;)

leahyl wrote: »
    I am so friggin excited now!!! I really hope I get near enough to the stage, I know I won't get in the pit but plan on being there when the gates open at 5 for sure!

I really hope he gives as good a show as he did in Limerick last night - since it's Bruce, I'm sure he will! :)

If it's like last night you'll have an excellent chance of getting in the pit. It's about 3000 people. I arrived at 3.30, got a wristband at 4 and was four back at the mini-stage on Nils's side.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭loverslane

Q well and truly started in Cork with another bus load leaving soon. As for Limerick - what can I say - have been to 20+ shows and this was up there in my top 5. Preshow - bloody hell - incredible. Whichever laker had the balls to post such ridiculous comments about BTR needs a good smack. As for 41 shots and Backstreets. This little girl is v happy.

We were at centre podium and it was a long, scorching wait but worth every second except of course those who just thought they could barge their way to front. It didn't happen tho cos they all got pushed back :-)

Exhausted but heading to Belfast. No doubt q will be mental - I believe it's starting today. Not bothered with number for there

Dr. Nick wrote: »
    If it's like last night you'll have an excellent chance of getting in the pit. It's about 3000 people. I arrived at 3.30, got a wristband at 4 and was four back at the mini-stage on Nils's side.

Cool, we'll see, I don't want to be builiding my hopes up too much! Although I do plan on being on stage with him for "Waiting on a sunny day" so.... :pac:

• Advertisement

This is a pic of the queue in Cork yesterday - apparently! From what I can see looks like a good few people there...

http://twitter.com/YvetteHuijsman/status/357133683758600192/photo/1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Late to the party here but that is an incredible setlist - especially to get 41 shots live - the guy gets better and better - Am heading to the second night in Kilkenny and can't wait after seeing that setlist - might get born in the USA or Darkness full albums that night..

Cool, we'll see, I don't want to be builiding my hopes up too much! Although I do plan on being on stage with him for "Waiting on a sunny day" so.... :pac:

Best of luck. Sunny day boy performance was right in front of us on the LHS mini-stage.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

Seventh show last night, RDS X 5 and the last night in the old Giants before. Have to say the only gig that cane close to last night was last year..... If you take both nights as one gig!

I'd had BITUSA in full in Giants and loved it, never thought I'd hear BTR in full. I've still got a softer spot for USA but the quality of the songs on BTR is just leagues ahead. Backstreets and Jungleland.... I'd managed to hear Jungleland twice in six gigs, never thought I'd hear it again. I lost it.... Lost it bad! There's a good merit I'm avoiding set lists too it has to be said, I'd thought the full albums notion was gone.

A gripe though..... I'm really starting to worry about our future as concert audiences. This was my first time since night 1 09 that I wasn't in the pit..... And the carry on of the blow in fair weather tools further back is insanity. Why would you spend a hundred quid to talk to your friends with your back to the stage??? Had to channel my inner Buddhist to get through American Skin as there was three couples beside me roaring a conversation all the way through, one of them even declaring "Shut up with the slow songs Bruce". Another group of thugs behind were belting out "Gay boy" and "Shut up ya queer" for Drive All Night...... I felt violently ill.

We have a great reputation as gig audiences, but that's slipping fast. We've always provided drunk morons at gigs, but the numbers are growing. It's downright depressing, and I can guarantee every one of then will tell you, if called up on it, that "times are hard these days and you have to enjoy when you can". Bleugh

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭whitewave

First Bruce gig and wouldn't have known alot of his stuff, bar the well-known songs....absolutely amazing gig. What a man, I've never seen such energy and stamina from someone! He seems like an absolute gent, I had heard he's good to fans but it was so nice to see him making an effort to shake as many hands and hug as many screaming sweaty fans as possible while still singing his heart out!

A complete Bruce convert here anyway :D To everyone going to the rest of the gigs, enjoy!

• Advertisement

niallon wrote: »
    Seventh show last night, RDS X 5 and the last night in the old Giants before. Have to say the only gig that cane close to last night was last year..... If you take both nights as one gig!

I'd had BITUSA in full in Giants and loved it, never thought I'd hear BTR in full. I've still got a softer spot for USA but the quality of the songs on BTR is just leagues ahead. Backstreets and Jungleland.... I'd managed to hear Jungleland twice in six gigs, never thought I'd hear it again. I lost it.... Lost it bad! There's a good merit I'm avoiding set lists too it has to be said, I'd thought the full albums notion was gone.

A gripe though..... I'm really starting to worry about our future as concert audiences. This was my first time since night 1 09 that I wasn't in the pit..... And the carry on of the blow in fair weather tools further back is insanity. Why would you spend a hundred quid to talk to your friends with your back to the stage??? Had to channel my inner Buddhist to get through American Skin as there was three couples beside me roaring a conversation all the way through, one of them even declaring "Shut up with the slow songs Bruce". Another group of thugs behind were belting out "Gay boy" and "Shut up ya queer" for Drive All Night...... I felt violently ill.

We have a great reputation as gig audiences, but that's slipping fast. We've always provided drunk morons at gigs, but the numbers are growing. It's downright depressing, and I can guarantee every one of then will tell you, if called up on it, that "times are hard these days and you have to enjoy when you can". Bleugh

OMG that sort of stuff would make my blood boil, I certainly don't claim to be his biggest fan and I have never been to one of his concerts - tomorrow night will be my first one - but I would never carry on the way the people you described did. I'm going to it to enjoy him and the charisma he has on stage as well as his classic songs and boring "slow songs" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭mossie

Dero123 wrote: »
    Knew he would do album shows here,hopefully get born in the usa on thursday
    Hopefully Darkness in Cork..

• Registered Users Posts: 4 jonronan

2nd Bruce concert, and was delighted he came to "My Hometown". I queued from 11am and was number 590, so if ppl wanted to get a pit ticket, that might give you some idea on where you need to be. There were ppl sleeping the overnight before so they could be in the first 100, but I also know ppl who turned up at 6 and were let into the pit area, because they had family (kiddies). We queued at 1pm and had to queue in sequential order and then led to the gate area where we were segregated into rows divided by scaffording. Were there for a few hours and it was a bit shambolic and usually you can get the wristband and head away. I'd like to have had the opportunity to get something to eat and purchase a T-Shirt before I went in. Still once it, it was great.
    My highlight(s) were Jungleland and Shout, he played the entire Born to Run album, I'm not sure he announced he was doing it, so when the first violin chord of Jungleland started and then the piano intro, I was in delirium. Powerful from Jake on the sax. He was emotional after it. Did a chest pound and pointed to the Big Man in the sky.
    If you were a Bruce fan you'd have loved it but there were some just happy to be there and didnt know many of the tunes or didn't appreciate it when he was playing some of the early tunes in less tempo than on the albums, but screw them. I'd love a CD of this gig just to remember as it was special to have heard him in "My Hometown".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ConcertKing

Just hoping beyond hope that he sings 'This Life' and 'Queen Of The Supermarket' 2m night!!! :)

Even one of the above would be a dream come through!!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭jacko1

Anyone in Limerick for 5.00 who wanted to be in the pit got in as there were over 1,500 wristbands issued to those who entered the GA without having queued

Advantage of Q'ing is getting front row for the show

• Registered Users Posts: 4 jonronan

Just hoping beyond hope that he sings 'This Life' and 'Queen Of The Supermarket' 2m night!!! :)

Even one of the above would be a dream come through!!! :)

I think you might have more chance of John Spillane singing about the 'Dunnes Stores Girl' but you never know. I like that song also, especially...."As I lift my groceries in to my car, I turn back for a moment and catch a smile, That blows this whole ****ing place apart"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭Zardoz

I had great seats near the stage but I was seriously distracted by the number of people going in and out of the pit to get drink or go to the toilet.
    It was absolutely ridiculous the flow of people in and out with beer especially during the first half of the gig ,it seemed to ease off in the second half.

There was a young girl beside me guzzling pints for the whole concert and she was constantly in and out to the bar like a yoyo .
    She ended up dousing a guy in front of her with a pint over the head by accident.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 44 bm92

Thats really awful !! We had similar experience up the front with people shoving us out of the way. Pity because makes us all look bad in the long run and can sour an amazing concert.

AMAZING concert though, glad he came to my own hometown even if I'm not always that positive about the place !!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

It's becoming a huge problem. It's one of the reasons I've cut back on gigs, because the moron-o-meter is increasingly in the red zone. Regrettably, it's not just the fair-weather fans who populate the main pitch. It's creeping into the pit too. The You Tube clip of Hearts of Stone is worrying. A nice, three-song set to a predominantly empty stadium, and you still can't shut the hell up? And these are people who arrived early?
    People who queue to be in the thick of it, but really don't have any more knowledge of, or respect for, the artist they've come to see, and are essentially there to have a good time on their own terms, and f**k everyone else. What I wouldn't give for a large polo mallet.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

It's becoming a huge problem. It's one of the reasons I've cut back on gigs, because the moron-o-meter is increasingly in the red zone. Regrettably, it's not just the fair-weather fans who populate the main pitch. It's creeping into the pit too. The You Tube clip of Hearts of Stone is worrying. A nice, three-song set to a predominantly empty stadium, and you still can't shut the hell up? And these are people who arrived early?
    People who queue to be in the thick of it, but really don't have any more knowledge of, or respect for, the artist they've come to see, and are essentially there to have a good time on their own terms, and f**k everyone else. What I wouldn't give for a large polo mallet.

It gives the rest of the "fair weather fans" a bad name unfortunately - there are some serious idiots about

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

It gives the rest of the "fair weather fans" a bad name unfortunately - there are some serious idiots about

I realise "fair-weather fans" can come across as a disparaging term, but obviously, it's not all-encompassing. I just think, in general, the diehards are - for the most part - respectful, whereas there is an unfortunate contingent who get restless when they don't recognise a song. Not knowing Bruce's entire back catalogue is certainly not a crime, but talking loudly or - worse - shouting abuse while he plays something you don't know is inexcusable.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭rebel without a clue

what an epic gig!! thank god i was sitting! however ill be standing for the cork gig! some highlights were jungleland, born in the usa( mighty max!!!), backstreets, bobby jean. i was distracted at one stage by the size of the queue for drinks!! i thought once the boss came on that most of them would turn around and move away from bar area, but they didnt!!! the queue didnt ease off till about an hour and a half into the gig! the amount of people that were up and down to the either the bar or toilets in the same area i was seated, was irritating. i just do not get it. people give out about the price of tickets yet are able to guzzle beer(thats watered down) non stop and have conversations with people while their back is turned to the stage. these are the same people that will go into work the next day and say ' it was alright, wasnt great, i didnt know some of the songs bla bla f**kin bla...'. can the relevent authorities not just put a ban on drink at gigs?????

I realise "fair-weather fans" can come across as a disparaging term, but obviously, it's not all-encompassing. I just think, in general, the diehards are - for the most part - respectful, whereas there is an unfortunate contingent who get restless when they don't recognise a song. Not knowing Bruce's entire back catalogue is certainly not a crime, but talking loudly or - worse - shouting abuse while he plays something you don't know is inexcusable.

Oh I completely agree with you, I certainly don't know his back catalogue (far from it) but I sure as hell won't be talking loudly or shouting abuse if I don't know a song which will probably be fairly often! You can't expect people not to talk normally either though in fairness but I completely understand that heckling or shouting abuse is not on!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭EdK

Got a last minute ticket for my brother on ticketmaster he works in Mallow so won't get there till late, I already have tickets in hand and the card used is in my name ill be inside by the time he gets there and don't want to be looking for him close to show time

Any ideas on box office times, can I pick up at any ticketmaster location or just at Pairc B/O? Anyone know opening times?

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭8mv

what an epic gig!! thank god i was sitting! however ill be standing for the cork gig! some highlights were jungleland, born in the usa( mighty max!!!), backstreets, bobby jean. i was distracted at one stage by the size of the queue for drinks!! i thought once the boss came on that most of them would turn around and move away from bar area, but they didnt!!! the queue didnt ease off till about an hour and a half into the gig! the amount of people that were up and down to the either the bar or toilets in the same area i was seated, was irritating. i just do not get it. people give out about the price of tickets yet are able to guzzle beer(thats watered down) non stop and have conversations with people while their back is turned to the stage. these are the same people that will go into work the next day and say ' it was alright, wasnt great, i didnt know some of the songs bla bla f**kin bla...'. can the relevent authorities not just put a ban on drink at gigs?????

We were lucky enough to be in the pit last night, and even though there was a drunken group discussing the relevant merits of different brands of cider during the pre-show set, we were able to steer clear of them for the rest of the night.
    I was in the stands at Emirates stadium in London 2008 (?) and had the same problem with no break from people passing in front of us for the entire show going to or coming back from the bar. It seems crazy to me to spend so much on tickets, travel (and maybe accommodation) and then spend the night doing what you could do in your local. I never drink at gigs, because I don't want distractions from what I've waited for so long to see and I don't need a pint of watered down warm urine in a plastic cup to enjoy the event. Obviously, there are a lot of people who do.
    In the RDS (1999?) I was unfortunate to be at the back of the crowd and saw how restless a lot of the casual attendees can get when confronted with the unexpected. An acoustic Born in the USA was greeted with outright hostility and Clarence's extended intro to The River was dissed completely. They only came to life when a crowd pleasing version of Hungry Heart was played, leading me to dislike that song a little since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭EdK

Echo the drink sentiment if you want to get drunk head down the pub it's a lot cheaper than paying €100 for a gig you don't see, don't get it!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

7138836CD4094DB99C81015834B2E900-0000359217-0003311249-00500L-CBC35891F76F45DDAF64463D9044B28A.jpg
    EB298A56BBDC47E18908754E9096AD87-0000359217-0003311275-00500L-5BFF92F1D86F4526A051D5EE767E50F0.jpg
    206BEAE88415489FAB84165704036EDD-0000359217-0003311271-00500L-2C6493080C4E4510B832F6F98A785A21.jpg

Above are just a few of my favourite moments captured.

Shock n Awe! Actually saw Bruce Springsteen in concert & in Thomond Park (of all places-home of Rugby!) - another dream realised by me; something new marked off my bucket-list! :)

He is so energised; so intense; passionate; enthusiastic; genuine; connecting and outstanding performer. Absolutely delighted with everything.

I've never seen Springsteen in concert before and was just captivated and taken on this journey for over 3 1/2hrs constant - who else would even be capable?! The atmosphere before; during and after was electric.

Can easily see why people follow him world-wide - a very Proud American is Springsteen, very Proud! :)

American Land; This Little land of Mine; Jack of All Trades and 41Shots shone out to me. Such a Range of Emotions experienced yesterday - unexpected; surreal but wonderful :o

To G4S - fantastic staff working throughout Thomond. To Steward 0363, you done one remarkable work with the lady who suffered with vertigo and was in shock. Seriously, a job very well done - you should be proud.
    To the Red Cross - saw a few of you put to work also near the pit area, well done all there.
    To the stage-crew and all involved with the set-up; hope all went well for you all and Good Luck with the remainder of your concerts here in Ireland!

Everyone involved with this - Outstanding Experience made possible by all the hard-work and dedication by all working the event in every shape and form! :)

Have a Great Time all going to Springsteen in Cork tomorrow - Hope you are all as Happy as I was/am!

Remarkable performance by Bruce Springsteen & the E-Street Band!

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭OuterBombie

Agree 100%. I wouldn't be a diehard fan but it didn't stop me wanted to listen to an amazing performance even if I didn't recognise some of the tunes.

The amount of chatting, messing and general to-fro'ing to the bar/toilet was a little frustrating, where is the respect people? :(

Anyhow, didnt ruin my appreciation for the gig which has given me the springboard to go explore some of his back catalogue. Maybe for the next tour will be in the pit singing all the words :D

EdK wrote: »
    Any ideas on box office times, can I pick up at any ticketmaster location or just at Pairc B/O? Anyone know opening times?

Thomand TM van was open at 3.30pm yesterday, maybe earlier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭mossie

I'd have to agree 100% with all the comments on the "fair weather fans" etc. I was in the pit at the left end of the stage and there was an exit for the bars, toilets etc very near resulting in a constant stream of people carting glasses of booze and splashing over people. Luckily most of the people near me seemed to be die hards but there was a fair few muppets there alright. Maybe it's a result of the extra gigs over the last few years with more tickets etc, but it does affect the atmosphere. Brilliant show, pity about some of the audience.

Advertisement