Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bruce Springsteen General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭loverslane

tracert wrote: »
    Anybody know what time the first roll call for Cork is in the morning? I was thinking of heading down tonight but I can't make it but I'd like to get a number first thing in the morning and queue for the day.

I was talking to some people who were in the queue already today and they said the first one is at 8AM tomorrow, but Greasy Lake says 9AM?

9, 11 and 1pm tomorrow - then move another holding area where apparently there is little shade. That's from laker friends who are already there

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

rubadub wrote: »
    A mcdonalds style cup I am talking of would probably also disperse, the lids are not attached tight and it would crush on impact easily enough. I would rather be hit by a pint in a closed mcdonalds cup than a open 500ml bottle of coke, which they usually do allow in gigs without the caps.

I have seen them at a gig before where you would have expected the usual plastic cups. In other gigs they had pouches of wine, I am shocked there are not loads of more solutions.

If you threw it correctly and got the right amount of centrifugal force then you could probably kill someone :pac:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

anyone have an idea about the kilkenny call for sunday night? l duno how its gonna work with the 2 nights....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,746 ✭✭✭Raoul

loverslane wrote: »
    9, 11 and 1pm tomorrow - then move another holding area where apparently there is little shade. That's from laker friends who are already there

How exactly does this work? Never been part of this q for the pit business. My friend yesterday had seated tickets but was still able to get a pass for the pit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Hi everybody,

I will be attending my first concert in Cork.

Any suggestions about parking?
    I'm planning to leave work around 16.30h and should be close to the stadium around 5pm.

Any feedback greatly appreciated. :)

Thanks!!!!!

Where are you coming from? You certainly won't get parking anywhere near the stadium at that time, the closest you'll get parking at that hour is at least a good half hour from the stadium. Bear in mind that traffic will be heavy as well too so a regular 30 minute journey could easily be 45 mins to an hour.

Let us know where you're coming from and I might have some suggestions.
    tracert wrote: »
    Anybody know what time the first roll call for Cork is in the morning? I was thinking of heading down tonight but I can't make it but I'd like to get a number first thing in the morning and queue for the day.

I was talking to some people who were in the queue already today and they said the first one is at 8AM tomorrow, but Greasy Lake says 9AM?

Pretty sure (BUt not 100%!!!!) that I saw 8 am on the notices down there.

• Advertisement

Raoul wrote: »
    How exactly does this work? Never been part of this q for the pit business. My friend yesterday had seated tickets but was still able to get a pass for the pit.

Your friend might not get into the pit. Their ticket will only scan into the seated area and they will be sent around to the correct area to enter. They can't enter the Pitch area through the scanners with a seated ticket.

Edit: Just realised (I presume!!) that this was for Thomond.

Cork is a slightly different kettle of fish if someone is in the same situation

• Registered Users Posts: 7,746 ✭✭✭Raoul

Your friend might not get into the pit. Their ticket will only scan into the seated area and they will be sent around to the correct area to enter. They can't enter the Pitch area through the scanners with a seated ticket.

No, this was yesterday that he got the ticket to the pit and he did get in. :). Said it took about 20 seconds of convincing the guy handing out the passes. I would like to try my hand too. I have never been to a concert before and I only know 3 albums but I want to be converted.

:eek::eek::eek: Please don't get mad at me for wanting to get in the pit despite not being a die hard.

Raoul wrote: »
    No, this was yesterday that he got the ticket to the pit and he did get in. :). Said it took about 20 seconds of convincing the guy handing out the passes. I would like to try my hand too. I have never been to a concert before and I only know 3 albums but I want to be converted.

:eek::eek::eek: Please don't get mad at me for wanting to get in the pit despite not being a die hard.

Lol.. I'm MAAAD. The cheek of you!! :-D

Different set-up in Cork. Worth a try but don't be too disappointed if you don't. Either way you'll enjoy the gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭ankaragucu

For those of you wondering about roll calls and pit queues etc (as I was before Limerick) and freaking out, my advice would be, dont!
    Look, I went over to Thomond at 10pm the night before the gig to walk the dog.The 10pm roll call was on.I drove past the stadium the morning of the show and that roll call was a bit bigger.I then strolled over for the 1pm roll call, the final one.I went back to the house, had lunch, then me and the Mrs went to the stadium at 3pm to actually queue ourselves for the first time.The 900-1000 who had been attending roll calls had been moved around the corner to an entrance gate.Dont know what time they got in but we were then brought around at 4pm, given wristbands and went straight in.
    We took our spot about 5/6 rows back.Within minutes we were noticing people with the numbers on their hands from the pit queue standing both ten yards in front of us and even right next to us!
    Have you worked out what I'm saying here folks?If you get to any of the remaining venues by about 4pm you have still got an excellent chance of getting into the pit.IF however you want to be right on the front barrier you can queue for roll calls for two days beforehand (including 8am ones!)
    My experience in Limerick was that I arrived just after 3pm on the day of the show and ended up standing beside people who were queuing for roll calls 2/3 days before the gig!The lady with number 13 on her hand was 15 yards ahead of me...

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Kevcol

Girlfriend and I will be down to Pairc Ui Caoimh at about 5:30 tomorrow. That should be fine I'd imagine to get a decent spot on the pitch??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭lennyloulou

I really enjoyed Limerick, I have seen the Boss many times and this time was fantastic.. loved the old stuff, we were up in the stands at the very very very top- the sound wasn't fantastic, it seemed to bounce off the top of the roof of thomond, anyhow we came down near the pitch for a finish. had aa fab time

my question is, have just managed to get tickets for Kilkenny, the sat,,, I would love to get into the pit up at the front.... well within a few rows anyhow,, how do I go about getting pit tickets, what do you mean by roll calls and times? I got into the pit years ago in the rds, they just handed out wrist bands at half 3. what is the story please anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭loverslane

Ok I have checked and double checked this with friends who are in the queue - the next roll call is at 9am in the morning and NOT 8am

• Registered Users Posts: 86,585 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Hi everybody,

I will be attending my first concert in Cork.

Any suggestions about parking?
    I'm planning to leave work around 16.30h and should be close to the stadium around 5pm.

Any feedback greatly appreciated. :)

Thanks!!!!!

I was suggested Cork Con rugby club in another thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

ankaragucu wrote: »
    For those of you wondering about roll calls and pit queues etc (as I was before Limerick) and freaking out, my advice would be, dont!
    Look, I went over to Thomond at 10pm the night before the gig to walk the dog.The 10pm roll call was on.I drove past the stadium the morning of the show and that roll call was a bit bigger.I then strolled over for the 1pm roll call, the final one.I went back to the house, had lunch, then me and the Mrs went to the stadium at 3pm to actually queue ourselves for the first time.The 900-1000 who had been attending roll calls had been moved around the corner to an entrance gate.Dont know what time they got in but we were then brought around at 4pm, given wristbands and went straight in.
    We took our spot about 5/6 rows back.Within minutes we were noticing people with the numbers on their hands from the pit queue standing both ten yards in front of us and even right next to us!
    Have you worked out what I'm saying here folks?If you get to any of the remaining venues by about 4pm you have still got an excellent chance of getting into the pit.IF however you want to be right on the front barrier you can queue for roll calls for two days beforehand (including 8am ones!)
    My experience in Limerick was that I arrived just after 3pm on the day of the show and ended up standing beside people who were queuing for roll calls 2/3 days before the gig!The lady with number 13 on her hand was 15 yards ahead of me...

no 13 did she have grey hair at the front?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

ankaragucu wrote: »

Agree. Arrived 3.30ish and was one of the first to get a wristband outside of the numbered people. When you get in there are people two yards in front of you who've queued from 24 hours before.....not much point. If you want the barrier, then be there 24+ hours beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭TOPDAWG2.0

Dr. Nick wrote: »
    Agree. Arrived 3.30ish and was one of the first to get a wristband outside of the numbered people. When you get in there are people two yards in front of you who've queued from 24 hours before.....not much point. If you want the barrier, then be there 24+ hours beforehand.

Whats a roll call?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭bennyl10

TOPDAWG2.0 wrote: »
    Whats a roll call?

a way of queing if you want barrier, explained a page or two back :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

First of all I was at Thormond by 3.30pm yesterday and was told by stewards that n pit passes left. Anyway went in when the gates opened by the west stand only to be told that we could have got tickets in the Dug out bar from Aikins staff. May people around us had the same experience. But at least we got to see and take some amazing pictures of the band arriving...

We had great seats in the stand and while some people did leave and come back with pints, it was in no way a issue. My husband went to the loo at one stage and came back with 4 pints which we enjoyed between the 2 of us. I would consider myself a die hard fan, having never missed a Irish concert since my first one in Slane aged 13 in 1985 and a number of gigs outside of Ireland. I adore Bruce and his music. In fact was delighted to meet him twice while they he stayed in the Westbury in 95 during the Tom Joad tour. He was so kind to 2 star stuck girls and even remembered us the the next day. I will admit I do do enjoy a number of beers at a Springsteen concert. Goes hand in hand with the whole experience but am I falling down drunk... NO and the security should make sure that anyone who Is totally pissed/messing is ejected from the pit/stands/pitch. Guys it's music and all about enjoying it. I now how much it costs, I am going to all 5 gigs and would be very rattled with anyone who was totally p***ed and out of order but on the whole most just want to enjoy the gig. Any tips for tomorrow. I really want to be in the pit.

On another note, I met a lovely young lady last night called Alice McNamara, who had planned to be at the gig with her Dad, he passed away 2 months ago suddenly and Alice came with her mum. Alice'd Dad was a massive Springsteen and Munster fan and would have been in heaven last night. Alice took some of her Dad's ashes and left them under her seat during "the River" I had tears in my eyes listening to her story. She said she would be trilled if I posted this little story...RIP Alice's dad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭Zardoz

First of all I was at Thormond by 3.30pm yesterday and was told by stewards that n pit passes left. Anyway went in when the gates opened by the west stand only to be told that we could have got tickets in the Dug out bar from Aikins staff. May people around us had the same experience. But at least we got to see and take some amazing pictures of the band arriving...

We had great seats in the stand

I dont understand ,if you had seats you arent supposed to be on the pitch not to mind the pit ???

Zardoz wrote: »
    I dont understand ,if you had seats you arent supposed to be on the pitch not to mind the pit ???

Yes, but when booking from ticket master seated was all we could get... I have had seated ticked before and got pit passes.... In fact man of the people we spoke to yesterday who had pit passes had seated tickets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Yes, but when booking from ticket master seated was all we could get... I have had seated ticked before and got pit passes.... In fact man of the people we spoke to yesterday who had pit passes had seated tickets.
    Hmm ,thats very strange ,normally if you have a seated ticket you cant go on the pitch and some promoters,not mentioning any names, strictly enforce it but Aiken is a bit more relaxed which is good.

Zardoz wrote: »
    Hmm ,that's very strange ,normally if you have a seated ticket you cant go on the pitch and some promoters,not mentioning any names, strictly enforce it but Aiken is a bit more relaxed which is good.

I understand that seated ticket holders are not allowed onto the pitch but, before have been given pit passes. Pit is the place to be..

Wonder what the story is for Cork and Belfast?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Meangadh

Just for people wondering what's the story with parking/general access, I found this on the 96fm website:

http://www.96fm.ie/Blogs/Steve-Haze/July-2013/Bruce-Springsteen-Live-in-Cork
    The Bruce Springsteen Concert will be on Thursday 18th July 2013 at Pairc Ui Chaoimh Cork City. Gates open at 5 p.m.

Major Traffic delays are expected in the city after 3 pm. Please arrive early. Cars parking illegally will be towed away.

Patrons in possession of car passes should only approach the stadium via Victoria Road Roundabout and Centre Park Road. Cars parked close to the stadium will be held back after the concert to allow pedestrians exiting the concert priority.

Traffic Arrangements

Motorists from Dublin & Waterford direction are advised to use the Jack Lynch Tunnel and Mahon Flyover to travel to the grounds.

Patrons are requested to use shared transport where possible.

1. Concert Parking is available at the following Car Parks until 1 am 19th July 2013

From the Jack Lynch Tunnel park at
    Cork Constitution Rugby Ground - Minibuses and Coach space also
    Ballinure and St Michaels GAA Pitches on Ring Mahon Road
    In the City Centre Patrick’s Quay, Grand Parade and Carroll’s Quay car parks
    St Finbarr’s car park with access from Wandsford’s Quay
    Paul Street car park and City Hall car park
    Boreenamanna Road for on street parking

Patrons are reminded that there will be a tow away in operation for illegally parked cars. Do not block entrances to parks/houses/business premises.

2. Road Closures

The Marina will be closed from its junction with Centre Park Road to the Pier Head at Blackrock Village. Monahan Road will be closed outbound in the direction of Pairc Ui Chaoimh. Maryville and Park Avenue will be resident access only. Driving licence, passport with current utility bill will be requested of residents to permit access to these areas.

Kent Train Station is a short walk from the shuttle Bus at Lapps Quay

3 Shuttle Bus from Lapps Quay opposite City Hall

Bus Eireann will operate Shuttle Buses, commencing at 12 mid day on the day of the Concert until 6pm, from Lapps Quay to Pairc Ui Chaoimh. Return from the concert by Bus will be on the 208 Route at the Ballintemple Stops. Extra Buses will be provided on the 208 route after the concert.

Private Coaches are requested to Park on the Boreenamanna Road between Ashton School and Pairc Ui Ring and after the concert to face for the South City Link road which will provide the quickest route to the Jack Lynch Tunnel.

Pairc Ui Chaoimh is approx 20 to 25 minutes minutes walk from the city centre.

The Concert has been sold out and tickets must be produced at barrier checks in advance of admission. (One ticket – One person).

Persons collecting tickets at the grounds are advised to approach from the Centre Park Road side of the grounds

Persons attending the concert with special needs/ requirements must make contact directly with the promoter beforehand at www.aikenpromotions.com
    (01)7755800 or on the day of the concert 086 0894381.

Please be mindful of local residents before and after the concert.

Persons under the influence of alcohol will not be allowed entry. Implements, air horns, flares, alcohol and offensive weapons will be confiscated.

CASUAL TRADING
    Casual trading will only be permitted under licence on Victoria Road.

PLEASE TAKE THE ADVICE OF STEWARDS AND GARDAI – PLEASE ENJOY THE DAY.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,285 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Just to say meangadh that the bus number they give for after the concert is incorrect - it should be 202 not 208

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Meangadh

Thanks a million leahyl.

I think I'll aim for Cork Con parking, seems the handiest. I'll be there around 2.30/3ish so I assume I'll get in...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭EdK

Uncovered stand tickets for this still available on Ticketmaster by the way if anyone's thinking of a last minute trip

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭TOPDAWG2.0

bennyl10 wrote: »
    a way of queing if you want barrier, explained a page or two back :)

Not being funny but its not rexplained what it is exactly. Just people saying it happens at like 8am then 1pm then 3pm?

What exactly is it and what is its purpose?
    Me and my girlfriend are planning on heading down tomorrow at 3pm, should this be ok to get into the pit or do we need to be down earlier for one of these roll call things?
    Any info much appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭jacko1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

TOPDAWG2.0 wrote: »
    Not being funny but its not rexplained what it is exactly. Just people saying it happens at like 8am then 1pm then 3pm?

What exactly is it and what is its purpose?
    Me and my girlfriend are planning on heading down tomorrow at 3pm, should this be ok to get into the pit or do we need to be down earlier for one of these roll call things?
    Any info much appreciated.

You'll be fine at 3pm, the pit will hold at least 3000 (possibly more in Cork), there are 1000 numbers being given out, but no number does not mean you don't get in the pit, you're simply a little further back if you arrive early pm (and not by much in my experience!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

I suppose you have to pay to park in Cork Con?

Advertisement