Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bruce Springsteen General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Thunder road acoustic, would love to have seen that
    niallon wrote: »
    .....Even the acoustic Thunder Road seemed entirely last minute and it was just an incredible moment and if it were to be the last memory I have of seeing him live I'd be happy.

Just posted something like that over on Facebook.
    I thought that the gig was superb until he sang Thunder Road, then it went into a whole new realm. Awesome song, even more awesome rendition.

I've seen him half a dozen times and that's my favourite moment to date without a shadow of a doubt.

On another note, it was my wifes first time seeing him. She's on about Kilkenny now :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,285 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I was a Bruce concert virgin - not anymore!!! I really enjoyed it, he is one hell of a showman!!

I obv didn't know a lot if the songs but it didn't matter just seeing the pure passion he puts into every single song!

Was A LITTLE disappointed that he didn't do the River (which I thought he was gonna do at the end but did Thunder Road), Glory Days (really wanted to hear that!!), human touch and my hometown.

But hey there'll be other gigs!!

Oh and also he is EXTREMELY sexy ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭lc180

Zardoz wrote: »
    He never played The River, despite the stadium beside the Lee.

I doubt he does his geographical research before each gig in fairness....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭Zardoz

niallon wrote: »
    Anyone looking at the set lists and thinking Thomond was better.... I hate to sound like a twerp but tonight was a real "had to be there gig".

The Thomond setlist was vastly superior ,especially the first half of the gig .

I think most fans would prefer Hungry Heart,Spirit in the Night,American Skin (41 Shots),The River ,She's the One,My Hometown,Drive All Night,and Glory Days to any of the songs he added tonight bar Out in the Street.

Tonight might have been better for variety if you are a regular gig attendee but I think the average fan Bruce fan would have been disappointed.Too many curve balls for one night.

Bruce seemed to be more involved with the crowd on Tuesday night ,he made some nice references to Limerick ,its hurlers ,the Born to Run album ,etc but there was hardly any reference to Cork tonight ,in fact he hardly spoke at all .

Good gig ,but Tuesday was more enjoyable despite the fact I was in the pit last night and up close .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Meangadh

Was there tonight and really feel like I experienced something extremely special.

I can understand people wanting to hear the likes of Glory Days and The River (I would have loved Glory Days especially) but to hear songs that you never normally would was fantastic. I've only really been following Bruce (bar knowing his big hits) about 6 or 7 years so I'm not a hard core fan or anything (although that's changing as time goes on!) so a few of the songs he played tonight I barely knew but I didn't care. I was totally mesmerised by the whole thing.

The fact that the man can play songs he hasn't played all tour after over 100 shows just tells you how mind blowingly huge and amazing his repertoire is.

I am SO excited about Kilkenny now, I've a feeling they could be more album kinda shows than tonight, but who knows really! I don't mind either way. That's the beauty of Bruce show and why so many people go to multiple shows on his tours- every show has the ability to blow you away.

And I agree completely with leahyl- the man may be older than my father so really it should be all sorts of wrong, but Jeeeeesus. I was the closest I've ever been to him tonight and my God he's unbelievable. When he sang Wild Thing tonight so many women's jaws dropped it was funny- and most of these women were between 25 and 35 I'd say!

Just such a wonderful night, whether you're a die hard fan or just someone who came along for the craic. Roll on Nowlan Park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭loverslane

130 fans at this mornings 8am roll call in Belfast !

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭ankaragucu

loverslane wrote: »
    130 fans at this mornings 8am roll call in Belfast !

You doing Belfast too loverslane?Nice.
    We're driving up tom morning at 10am , hope to make the pit again.Keep us posted please.Will the roll call queue be capped at say 1,000 at some stage do you know?We won't make that so will try figure out where to queue to give us best chance of getting a wristband.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Goreme

madalig12 wrote: »
    Cant please everybody.
    And lets face it, most bands the same play 17 songs at every gig, Bruce playeds 30+ songs plus pre-show, so you're bound to get at least 17 songs in there you actually love!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 paddyrafa

Does anyone know if there will be a pit in Kilkenny?

Because it's a 'festival' and not a standard Bruce gig, I was wondering if there will be any pit .........

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭bennyl10

paddyrafa wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there will be a pit in Kilkenny?

Because it's a 'festival' and not a standard Bruce gig, I was wondering if there will be any pit .........

There will definitely be a pit.

• Advertisement

ankaragucu wrote: »
    You doing Belfast too loverslane?Nice.
    We're driving up tom morning at 10am , hope to make the pit again.Keep us posted please.Will the roll call queue be capped at say 1,000 at some stage do you know?We won't make that so will try figure out where to queue to give us best chance of getting a wristband.

Sure am - heading in an hour or so. Will let you know story from queue. A friend is running it. It's a smaller venue so no idea yet how big pit is. Bring sun screen and plenty water :)

lc180 wrote: »
    I doubt he does his geographical research before each gig in fairness....
    True dat...

bennyl10 wrote: »
    There will definitely be a pit.
    But why do you say there will definately be a pit? The crowd is going to be much smaller (23k), and a pit is for crowd safety on the pitch, so it there is a much smaller crowd on the pitch there may be no requirement for a pit?

Goreme wrote: »
    But why do you say there will definately be a pit? The crowd is going to be much smaller (23k), and a pit is for crowd safety on the pitch, so it there is a much smaller crowd on the pitch there may be no requirement for a pit?

Cos there's always a pit no matter how small venue is. Belfast is 20k and def a pit there

Thanks for the feedback on the kilkenny pit bennyl10, loverslane, & Goreme.

If there is a pit, how do you see that working regarding times?
    Considering the festival will start much earlier than the other concerts then , I guess, the gates to get into the pit will open much earlier.

I was in the pit in Limerick and got # 367 at around 07.30 that morning. I'm wondering if Kilkenny is likely to be much the same or maybe busier. I don't really want to go there the night before to get a similar number.

loverslane wrote: »
    Cos there's always a pit no matter how small venue is. Belfast is 20k and def a pit there
    Thanks, will you tell us then today when you get in as to approx what size the pit is in the venue, 'cos if its small there, then it might be small in Kilkenny also, therefore less chance of getting pit wristband.

Will do Goreme

Paddyrafa - will try and get Kilkenny details. Will see if I can find out who will be there to run queue. But it being a festival I really don't know how it will work.

Cheers Loverslane.
    Yeah, see that's my concern too - it might be operated differently because it's a festival. But I guess the best place to find out now is the Belfast pit - so any further feedabck will be much appreciated - enjoy the gig!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Yes, it is very difficult to know the pit situation in Kilkenny.

The organisers have to consider the effect on the support acts Glen Hansard, Damien Dempsey, Imelda May and LAPD. These are all significant artists in their own rights, not a band just starting out that is just making up the numbers. The pit could be empty or at least semi uninterested for some of these artists. I reckon that there is a fair chance that there will be no pit in Kilkenny for that reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Jimmy Macnulty

Stage times revealed for ‪#‎WreckingBallWeekender‬ in Kilkenny next weekend - GATES OPEN at 12.30pm.
    First act - 2.15pm
    second act - 3.30pm
    third act - 5.00pm
    BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN & THE E STREET BAND - 7.00pm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Stage times revealed for ‪#‎WreckingBallWeekender‬ in Kilkenny next weekend - GATES OPEN at 12.30pm.
    First act - 2.15pm
    second act - 3.30pm
    third act - 5.00pm
    BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN & THE E STREET BAND - 7.00pm

who is the first act on the Saturday so? I thought it was just:
    Glen Hansard
    Damien Dempsey
    The Boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 dtbDublin

who is the first act on the Saturday so? I thought it was just:
    Glen Hansard
    Damien Dempsey
    The Boss.

Josh Ritter

Will the roll call queue be capped at say 1,000 at some stage do you know?We won't make that so will try figure out where to queue to give us best chance of getting a wristband.

People are getting too worked up about the pit and all this roll call nonsense.
    Two people I met last night had queued for 2 nights ,camping out and they were beside me for most of the gig .
    I parked on Blackrock road ,walked 5 minutes into the ground at 4.15 via the Monaghan road entrance (thanks to tip offs on here;)) and there was hardly anyone around in the pit .

In fact the pit seemed very sparse last night ,there was loads of room,too much to be honest.

My brother and his friends only arrived at 6.50pm and they met 3 staff outside the ground asking them did they want pit passes ,they couldnt believe there good luck.
    Brother said they had hundreds of wrist bands !

If you want to be on the front row barrier you can subject yourself to roll call and sleeping out for days but if you are happy with almost anywhere else then I suggest 4pm is fine for the pit.(Kilkenny may be different though due to early start)
    Anywhere in the pit is a great view .

Two people I met last night had queued for 2 nights ,camping out and they were beside me for most of the gig .
    I parked on Blackrock road ,walked 5 minutes into the ground at 4.15 via the Monaghan road entrance (thanks to tip offs on here;)) and there was hardly anyone around in the pit .

In fact the pit seemed very sparse last night ,there was loads of room,too much to be honest.

My brother and his friends only arrived at 6.50pm and they met 3 staff outside the ground asking them did they want pit passes ,they couldnt believe there good luck.

If you want to be on the front row barrier you can subject yourself to roll call and sleeping out for days but if you are happy with almost anywhere else then I suggest 4pm is fine for the pit.(Kilkenny may be different though due to early start)

Zardoz, I agree!Didn't roll call in Limerick neither will we for Belfast.What I saw in Limerick though was this.Once the roll callers had gone in first, you would assume that all gates would then open at the same appointed time.Not so.
    Purely because we asked security we discovered that the queue that had formed in front of the Dug Out bar (AFTER the roll callers had been taken from this same area) would in fact be getting in next.Our tickets were for the Blue Route entry but the security guy said no, stay here.We did, and WERE taken in next, at 4pm.
    Yes you are correct in saying you can arrive much later and still get into the pit.But I'd be wary of getting dud information about where best to queue, like ConcertKing complained of last night.Of course by going a little earlier you MAY catch anoher Bruce pre show, too, which is a treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,285 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

We were there in the queue from
    About 4.35/4.40 and no pit passes to be found anywhere!! So why weren't they giving them out then if there were loads as you say?

leahyl wrote: »
    We were there in the queue from
    About 4.35/4.40 and no pit passes to be found anywhere!! So why weren't they giving them out then if there were loads as you say?

What seemed to happen was that the entrance on Monaghan road was for the pit ,it was routed in behind the city end terrace.

After a certain time ,this route was closed by moving some barriers , and people were diverted in the Blackrock end .
    Where were you queuing ?

After 5pm I didnt see many more people coming into the pit so I guess they changed the route at that time as I saw alot of people running up the pitch from the Blackrock end .
    I felt sorry for these people as they could easily have been allowed into the pit at that stage as it wasnt even a third full at that stage even including all the people with wristbands sitting down outside in the food/beverage area.

My brother was lucky to get into the pit ,he couldnt believe his luck but he said there were 3 guys on the Lee side of the ground handing out loads of wristbands ,its kind of hit and miss I guess but it was like that last year in the RDS ,people at some entrances got passes ,people at others got none.

This is what I'm saying.There is an element of pot luck to this.By turning up a little earlier it gives you a chance to suss out where's best to queue.
    With it being a Saturday show next it could be a bit more manic trying to secure wristbands.

Car problems - will report once in Belfast which will be 7pm at this stage :-( Although I can confirm numbers are up in the 200's now

This is what I'm saying.There is an element of pot luck to this.By turning up a little earlier it gives you a chance to suss out where's best to queue.
    With it being a Saturday show next it could be a bit more manic trying to secure wristbands.

Yes thats quite true ,I had got a heads up off GavRedKing
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=85574793&postcount=112

I saw this post by Polydactyl @4.43 yesterday
    Very little chance of pit passes. Been here since 320 and still in queue have moved about 10m. Seems everyone turned up early today. Per show acoustic show just over

Not sure where he was queuing but I arrived on Monaghan road at ~4.05 and was in pit for 4.20 and saw the pre acoustic gig.
    Why cant they just hand out wristbands at every entrance ??
    If there was no roll call they could just give out wristbands at each entrance as people entered instead of holding back certain entrances ,etc etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭mossie

I didn't get in the pit last night but I was just outside the barrier and it was fine. The pit looked only about half full from where I was, certainly far less full than Limerick.

Overall I was extremely disappointed with the organization of the whole event, exiting was a nightmare afterward. Stepped in a pothole after exiting the stadium and twisted my ankle, fortunately I did no injury, but surely things like this should have been sorted in advance given the poor lighting in and around the stadium and indeed all the way into the city.

Advertisement