Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bruce Springsteen General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

where is he staying while in ireland??

is Lord Henry having him in slane castle??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Some of the yanks in the film are total geeks and fairly dull, but it's well worth a watch, especially for the concert footage on the big screen and big sound

• Registered Users Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

A decent crowd for Springsteen & I in the Lighthouse this evening. They had even moved it from a smaller screen, such was the demand. I thought it was very enjoyable. Some of the fans were clearly included more for novelty value. I was a bit concerned that the mad woman in her kitchen at the start would be indicative of the people featured, but fortunately, she was the exception.
    I really liked John from Denmark and I thought Gillian's open letter to Bruce was one of the most articulate and well-considered tributes in the whole thing. The young American girl towards the start (the one who referred to his veins popping out and his sweating after one song) was another one of the best of the American contributors. I also liked the Manchester couple where the husband is a tolerant Bruce Widower. "He hates the show but he loves his wife!". Brilliant.
    I agree with Bateman that the admission price is worth it for the concert footage and sound alone, but overall, it wasn't the self-indulgent* car crash it might have been.

* self-indulgent fans, I mean... not the man himself.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Can anyone tell me why it is only on today. Why the restriction to 1 day?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,772 ✭✭✭lertsnim

dixiefly wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me why it is only on today. Why the restriction to 1 day?

Seems to happen a lot with different bands too.

• Advertisement

3rd time asking this question on this but does anyone reckon springsteen & I will be released on dvd?? lm working :(

ps. anyone going to see it tonight, dont leave after the credits ;)

The London footage at the end was a cinema exclusive so the main feature must be getting a DVD/bluray release

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

lertsnim wrote: »
    The London footage at the end was a cinema exclusive so the main feature must be getting a DVD/bluray release

wanted to see that too :/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

Bit late to the game however the for anyone thinking that notices have to he up if a concert I'd being filmed, I was at the Bowie gig in 03 that was filmed over two nights and released on dvd, no notices anywhere. I don't know if that's changed these days but it used to he noted on the back of the ticket that gigs may he filmed and punters should he aware and that had them covered to the best of my knowledge

• Registered Users Posts: 14,285 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Just back from Springsteen and I and I really enjoyed it! Granted some of his fans were, lets say, a little strange.....the footage at the end of him in Hyde Park was absolutely incredible! Disgraceful the way he was told to get off the stage at the end though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

leahyl wrote: »
    Just back from Springsteen and I and I really enjoyed it! Granted some of his fans were, lets say, a little strange.....

Really enjoyed it.
    I think the fact that a lot of the fans were 'quirky' made it special. Epilogue was fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 MatthewMonster

Alright guys, this will be my first Springsteen gig in Kilkenny on Saturday and I was wondering if I show up say, mid-day on Friday to queue, what are the chances of getting to the front row barrier? I know it's a huge newbie question, but everyone has to start somewhere, right? How many people tend to be there 24 hours before the gates usually?

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭loverslane

Alright guys, this will be my first Springsteen gig in Kilkenny on Saturday and I was wondering if I show up say, mid-day on Friday to queue, what are the chances of getting to the front row barrier? I know it's a huge newbie question, but everyone has to start somewhere, right? How many people tend to be there 24 hours before the gates usually?

Hard to call. All's I can tell you is q for Cardiff (on tonight) started Monday and Leeds (on tomor) started Tues. Both smaller venues but I do know lots of peeps coming straight to Kilkenny after those shows. As it is a festival and end of tour it's hard to tell

Front row barrier is hard to judge. However I dont think it is necessary to fully enjoy the show.

If you queue from Friday evening then you will have no problem getting very close to the front which will be perfect. Remember, you wont be queuing overnight. They will take your name / give you a number about 10pm and you will be able to come back saturday morning.

That said, as its a festival and there are several acts, the norm may not occur though we were told on Saturday that there is a pit in Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭princemuzzy

loverslane wrote: »
    Hard to call. All's I can tell you is q for Cardiff (on tonight) started Monday and Leeds (on tomor) started Tues. Both smaller venues but I do know lots of peeps coming straight to Kilkenny after those shows. As it is a festival and end of tour it's hard to tell

if i arrive at 11 sat morning to you fancy my chances of getting in the pit?

can't make it any earlier waiting on a sitter for the kids

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭tracert

Dr. Nick wrote: »
    Really enjoyed it.
    I think the fact that a lot of the fans were 'quirky' made it special. Epilogue was fantastic.
    What was the epilogue? I have the feeling I missed something.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

tracert wrote: »
    What was the epilogue? I have the feeling I missed something.

It was when 3 of the people who were in the film got to have a meet and greet with The Boss

Revised stage times for Wrecking Ball Weekender...

SATURDAY 27TH JULY, GATES OPEN: 1.00pm
    Josh Ritter: 2.15pm – 3.00pm
    Damien Dempsey: 3.30pm – 4.15pm
    Glen Hansard: 5.00pm – 6.00pm
    Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band - 7.00pm

SUNDAY 28TH JULY, GATES OPEN: 1.000pm
    Delorentos: 2.15pm – 3.00pm
    ‪#‎LAPD‬: 3.30pm – 4.15pm
    Imelda May: 5.00pm – 6.00pm
    Bruce Springsteen & THE E STREET BAND - 7.00pm

I reckon bruce & glen will do something together, bruce is meant to be a fan of his

What about the chances of Bruce doing a number with LAPD on Sunday? American Land?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

Running joke in our house since the Saturday line up was announced is that the 4 of them will do a Dubliners tribute!

dixiefly wrote: »
    What about the chances of Bruce doing a number with LAPD on Sunday? American Land?

I dont even know LAPD :pac:

• Advertisement

It was when 3 of the people who were in the film got to have a meet and greet with The Boss

I didn't see this part - I don't think they showed it where I was!! When did it come on? We saw something at the start about a meet and greet with fans but then nothing came on after the hyde park clip

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

leahyl wrote: »
    I didn't see this part - I don't think they showed it where I was!! When did it come on? We saw something at the start about a meet and greet with fans but then nothing came on after the hyde park clip

After they showed The Hard Rock Calling songs , it came on just after that

After they showed The Hard Rock Calling songs , it came on just after that

We waited for a few minutes though and nothing came on!! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

I dont even know LAPD :pac:

It's 75% of the legendary Planxty (Liam O'Flynn, Andy Irvine and Donal Lunny) with Paddy Glackin. The LAPD acronym comes from the initials of their first names. They're superb at what they do, but I'll be very interested to see how well they work in a stadium to an audience that isn't their own. I suspect when people get used to a bunch of old fogeys on stage playing Irish trad, they'll get into the spirit of it.
    The dream would be for Christy Moore to turn up and do the legendary Raggle Taggle Gypsy/Tabhair Dom Do Lámh medley with them, but that is a bit of a tall order. :D

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

It's 75% of the legendary Planxty (Liam O'Flynn, Andy Irvine and Donal Lunny) with Paddy Glackin. The LAPD acronym comes from the initials of their first names. They're superb at what they do, but I'll be very interested to see how well they work in a stadium to an audience that isn't their own. I suspect when people get used to a bunch of old fogeys on stage playing Irish trad, they'll get into the spirit of it.
    The dream would be for Christy Moore to turn up and do the legendary Raggle Taggle Gypsy/Tabhair Dom Do Lámh medley with them, but that is a bit of a tall order. :D

ok I had a completely different imagine in my head...thought they were a group of old men with banjos & hermonicas...dont ask why!

jesus they sound crazy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYwETSbbIBM

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭omicron

ok I had a completely different imagine in my head...thought they were a group of old men with banjos & hermonicas...dont ask why!

jesus they sound crazy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYwETSbbIBM

I think you may have the wrong LAPD!!!!

omicron wrote: »
    I think you may have the wrong LAPD!!!!

haha oh thank god!

Yeah, no epilogue at the Mahon Point cinema in Cork. I saw it mentioned on the screen earlier in the evening and there was nothing. I waited a few minutes after the Hyde Park bit and there was nothing. Bastards!!!

lertsnim wrote: »
    Yeah, no epilogue at the Mahon Point cinema in Cork. I saw it mentioned on the screen earlier in the evening and there was nothing. I waited a few minutes after the Hyde Park bit and there was nothing. Bastards!!!

I was there too! :D Can't believe they didn't show it! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

ankaragucu wrote: »
    Five song pre show too though Bruce didnt manage all of the Roy Orbison song as he forgot the words but while it lasted his voice sounded beautiful.

What time was the pre-show? I was in the venue by 5pm.

Advertisement