Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bruce Springsteen General Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭dixiefly

I don't see why he would do this, the entire European Tour is advertised as The River tour so would make zero sense to ditch it halfway through the tour.

Well almost all of the tour.....the Belgian gig on 9th July is headlining the TW Classic festival with Lana Del Ray, Lionel Ritchie, Simply Red, The Van Jets and CC Smugglers.

http://www.twclassic.be/en

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Has it been announced, for any European dates, that the entire album will be played? It could be a River tour, with a River-heavy setlist, but not the full album.

I saw him a couple of weeks ago, after last seeing him in 2009. It was great, but it was in an arena. I don't envy you guys seeing him in huge venues.

I would be very envious, and at the same, happy for you all, (no, really, I'd be happy for you :D ), if you guys got more variation in the setlist. I would have loved, for example, to have had more River out-takes. I really like Meet Me in the City and it was a fantastic opener, but I am greedy, I guess.

I agree Liz, would like to see him play this set in an indoor arena. Mind you, with the drip feed of announcements there might be a few more gigs up their sleeves yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The Nal wrote: »
    People chatting has been an issue at the US gigs.

That thread is deff going to continue here and in Europe anyway.

Fleetwood Mac last year in the 3arena was so frustrating because some people decided to have a chat when they played 'landslide and near going back again'. 2 of there best songs

Almost got a heart attack there when I checked my facebook and saw the 3arena had a Bruce Springsteen and esb status up but it was only to announce the UK leg of the tour. Thought we were getting an indoor show there to add to the Croke Park ones. Seems weird that the 3arenas facebook would be promoting a UK outdoor tour??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭bennyl10

PTH2009 wrote: »
    That thread is deff going to continue here and in Europe anyway.

Fleetwood Mac last year in the 3arena was so frustrating because some people decided to have a chat when they played 'landslide and near going back again'. 2 of there best songs

Almost got a heart attack there when I checked my facebook and saw the 3arena had a Bruce Springsteen and esb status up but it was only to announce the UK leg of the tour. Thought we were getting an indoor show there to add to the Croke Park ones. Seems weird that the 3arenas facebook would be promoting a UK outdoor tour??

3arena is managed by live nation who are the promoters of the uk tour :)

Anyway to make more money!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭Wooderson

For the Croke park gigs .. the offical show starts at 7pm, I wonder how early you would have to be there for the pre-show ? and are the numbers limited to say a 1000 or whatever.

The pre-show is normally a few hours before the normal show starts, so lets say 5pm and is 30 Minutes long right ?

No guarantee of pre-shows. Only played them at Limerick/Cork/Belfast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

Wooderson wrote: »
    No guarantee of pre-shows. Only played them at Limerick/Cork/Belfast.

No pre-shows this tour as far I've seen. Was lucky enough to all of the above last tour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Dr. Nick wrote: »
    No pre-shows this tour as far I've seen. Was lucky enough to all of the above last tour.

The Limerick pre-show was one of the highlights of any Springsteen show I've seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

Called into ticketmaster outlet in Easons L'kenny day after & was told people were queing since 3pm the day before :eek: & was told some standing was left at end of day & sold next morning, should have rang them?

What's the longest someone has queued & regarding tickets at queue, standing would go first or random one's printed@ first?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭RoadhouseBlues

It would be a dream come true for me to see Bruce live. Unfortunately I'm unemployed so couldn't afford a ticket. If I had the money though, I would have paid. I suppose its different for everyone though and that's good. Pssssst. When I lived in Pittsburgh back in the early 2000's, the tickets were 180 dollars..........and that was steep then.......Couldn't afford it then either:-)....got a front row ticket for Bon Jovi instead:-)..........Any politicians reading this, if you can get me tickets for Bruce, I will be very appreciative on election day:-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,041 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

It would be a dream come true for me to see Bruce live. Unfortunately I'm unemployed so couldn't afford a ticket.

"Tough sh1t" is the message from Bruce HQ I'm afraid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭EyesClosed

"Tough sh1t" is the message from Bruce HQ I'm afraid.

Is Bruce supposed to give him a free ticket yea?
    Stupid comment

EyesClosed wrote: »
    Is Bruce supposed to give him a free ticket yea?
    Stupid comment

He clearly couldn't give a sh1t.

See the standing tickets for Wembley are £94. About 120 euro. Its all getting a bit silly. And very off-putting.

Can't really blame Bruce if people are willing to pay it. More fools us. I'm going once but I've too many others interests - including other gigs - vying for my (limited) cash. And its still on February. Mark Lanegan x 2, Ryley Walker, Flamin' Groovies and Bill Ryder-Jones. Combined, all cheaper than 1 ticket for Springsteen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,891 ✭✭✭Zardoz

He clearly couldn't give a sh1t.

See the standing tickets for Wembley are £94. About 120 euro. Its all getting a bit silly. And very off-putting.

The best seats are a whopping £137.50 in London .
    That's over 180 euro or 200 dollars ,more than he charged for the best seats indoors in the US.

180 euro is alot for the working man,I'd at least expect a greatest hits setlist for that price .
    What one will likely get is one of the weakest setlists he has ever played in the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,208 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

There is a fair amount of incessant whining about ticket prices here isn't there? Same names every time too, which is a little soap boxy really.

Also, the thread title could do with an update, seriously.

My own 2cents on the ticket prices, pushing it and alienating a lot of the people he would profess to be one of at heart, but big business has never really cared and I don't think an artist as big as Bruce is going to lose much sleep either when all his shows are selling out regardless of ticket price.

If you want to compare his prices and relative value to other artists there is simply none though imo, it is the greatest live show available and I will happily pay top dollar for that when I can, I love live music and I am a huge Bruce fan, he never disappoints and it is truly special seeing how energised he is on stage at his age particularly, puts acts half his age to shame.

You never know when its going to be his last tour at this point and if I ever think it may be a bit too steep (and I'd be ****ed if I was buying a seated ticket for that money!) I just remember how much I would pay now to see Queen live, to see Pink Floyd live, to watch Bowie live etc

There are few big acts I do pay big money to, I remember when McCartney was charging ridiculous money here and I passed, same with Elton John as I was never a big fan but would like to say I had been to one of his shows. Bruce is certainly one of those mega stars that gets me to shell out the big bucks. I always respected Oasis for keeping ticket prices relatively reasonable for the most part as they never wanted to lose a certain element of their fanbase, but Bruce fanbase is so broad that people will pay, just like with Paul, Elton, Stevie Wonder going back to The Piano Man himself Billy Joel who charged serious money at his peak also.

As long as you don't mind being a soulless tout its always a good investment to get a few Bruce tickets anyway when they go on sale as even if you don't want to go, or think the ticket prices are ridiculous, you will still double or triple your money at least when you sell them on.

Is it all an act with Bruce? No I wouldn't say that, but I wouldn't say he is fully in touch with the common man like he maybe used to be either and he certainly plays up to his persona since he isn't a dumb ass and this is what his cash cow is.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,998 ✭✭✭leakyboots

As long as you don't mind being a soulless tout its always a good investment to get a few Bruce tickets anyway when they go on sale as even if you don't want to go, or think the ticket prices are ridiculous, you will still double or triple your money at least when you sell them on.

No, it's not - it's called being an opportunistic scumbag

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

leakyboots wrote: »

Well his name is StringerBell!!!!!!

leakyboots wrote: »

Soulless tout wasn't far enough no? I do apologise, I tried to keep a certain tone in the post. Feel free to lower it to whatever level you are most comfortable operating on though.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sirmanga

There is a fair amount of incessant whining about ticket prices here isn't there? Same names every time too, which is a little soap boxy really.

Also, the thread title could do with an update, seriously.

My own 2cents on the ticket prices, pushing it and alienating a lot of the people he would profess to be one of at heart, but big business has never really cared and I don't think an artist as big as Bruce is going to lose much sleep either when all his shows are selling out regardless of ticket price.

If you want to compare his prices and relative value to other artists there is simply none though imo, it is the greatest live show available and I will happily pay top dollar for that when I can, I love live music and I am a huge Bruce fan, he never disappoints and it is truly special seeing how energised he is on stage at his age particularly, puts acts half his age to shame.

You never know when its going to be his last tour at this point and if I ever think it may be a bit too steep (and I'd be ****ed if I was buying a seated ticket for that money!) I just remember how much I would pay now to see Queen live, to see Pink Floyd live, to watch Bowie live etc

There are few big acts I do pay big money to, I remember when McCartney was charging ridiculous money here and I passed, same with Elton John as I was never a big fan but would like to say I had been to one of his shows. Bruce is certainly one of those mega stars that gets me to shell out the big bucks. I always respected Oasis for keeping ticket prices relatively reasonable for the most part as they never wanted to lose a certain element of their fanbase, but Bruce fanbase is so broad that people will pay, just like with Paul, Elton, Stevie Wonder going back to The Piano Man himself Billy Joel who charged serious money at his peak also.

Is it all an act with Bruce? No I wouldn't say that, but I wouldn't say he is fully in touch with the common man like he maybe used to be either and he certainly plays up to his persona since he isn't a dumb ass and this is what his cash cow is.
    Ok but Springsteen is not in his prime anymore. He can't run around the stage like he used to and he puts on his gruff voice, he doesn't have it naturally anymore and you can tell the difference. So why are people expected to pay more for him now than when he was better 10, even 5 years ago.

I know why, cause he is getting old and knows he needs to pad out the pension to make sure his working class family are taken care of. The bald phony

Don't support him sure, why does it bother you so much though?

The small part of the post you picked out, whether he is in his prime or not doesn't really matter, he is still in the top echelon of touring acts and he can charge whatever he wants really, its up to people to decide whether its worth it to them or not.

No idea why it would make people angry, just don't support the artist if you don't like him. How does it affect your life?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

sirmanga wrote: »
    Ok but Springsteen is not in his prime anymore. He can't run around the stage like he used to and he puts on his gruff voice, he doesn't have it naturally anymore and you can tell the difference. So why are people expected to pay more for him now than when he was better 10, even 5 years ago.

I know why, cause he is getting old and knows he needs to pad out the pension to make sure his working class family are taken care of. The bald phony

What a load of absolute garbage.

I don't support Bruce anymore. He has hair plugs and takes advantage of 9/11 widows. He's a shell of his former self also. Next!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭Tsipras

His Limerick gig was probably my favourite I've been to and that was less than 3 years ago so dunno where you get the idea he's not in his prime.

All this begrudgery is so very Irish! Man is super talented - Becomes successful - Gets criticised for it?? At work I haven't turned down a pay rise yet? Have you?

The bald thing made me laugh at least :)

Nils used to do back flips from a trampoline back in "his prime", we don't need to see that.

If your measuring stick is seeing how much an artist can "run around the stage" then you're always going to be let down. Do you just like movies with car chases and tits?

FYI He didn't do much (if any) running around the stage on the Reunion tour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

This is starting to become a pain in the arse now getting notifications that the thread has been updated, time to unsub myself.

I don't support Bruce anymore. He has hair plugs and takes advantage of 9/11 widows. He's a shell of his former self also. Next!

How did you support him before the made up story came to light?

• Advertisement

oleras wrote: »
    This is starting to become a pain in the arse now getting notifications that the thread has been updated, time to unsub myself.

Damn straight! If you don't like a thread do not support it, simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Very interesting;
    It should also be noted that Bruce doesn’t take a bigger percentage of the gate for live shows: each member of the band (including himself) gets paid the same. Chalk up band parity as another reason why Bruce is, and always will be, The Boss.

Yeah I meant to include that part!

Thank you :)

The split pay thing stopped before the Born in the USA tour. 32 years ago.

• Advertisement

The split pay thing stopped before the Born in the USA tour. 32 years ago.

Source please?

Can you give a source for this wig story, at least one that doesn't include being made up in your head.

Just look at his hair compared to 10 years ago.
    Ok, Y2J?

And mine.

And mine.

Please, if you promise not to ignore I will never talk badly about Bruce again. And I mean never eeeeeeeeever!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭Tsipras

Livenation website (for UK tickets) crashing :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jossnjuice

still keeping an eye on ticketmaster for standing sunday on and off, and looked yesterday and sitting in the lower hogan was back on sale if people are in need :P

RainyDay wrote: »
    Source please?

Common knowledge. Also in a couple of books I've read over the years which I couldn't be arsed digging out.

Do you really think Bruce was giving his keyboard player an equal cut of the stadium revenue? Croke Park, Bruce is clearing about 4m per show. The 7 members of the band aren't earning 600k per show each!!

They're on a salary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

Werchter pit tickets secured. €160 but with cheap flights and no Dublin-style fleecing by hotels it works out ok. Also it's a festival and not being advertised as The River tour. Plenty of boxes ticked there, though I'll be in the bar when Simply Fk'in Red take the stage......

Common knowledge. Also in a couple of books I've read over the years which I couldn't be arsed digging out.

Do you really think Bruce was giving his keyboard player an equal cut of the stadium revenue? Croke Park, Bruce is clearing about 4m per show. The 7 members of the band aren't earning 600k per show each!!

They're on a salary.

Makes sense. He is the only reason they are playing, and it's all his music.

Makes sense. He is the only reason they are playing, and it's all his music.

Indeed. When they made the step up to stadiums he changed the setup. But they rode the gravy train for a long time. Fair play to Bruce.

He also gave them $2 million each when he split up the band.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

Dr. Nick wrote: »
    Werchter pit tickets secured. €160 but with cheap flights and no Dublin-style fleecing by hotels it works out ok. Also it's a festival and not being advertised as The River tour. Plenty of boxes ticked there, though I'll be in the bar when Simply Fk'in Red take the stage......

You should go to see Simply Red, they were great in Dublin last December.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

Could we start a new thread its 2016

There's a surprise....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,891 ✭✭✭Zardoz

I see Paris indoors at the Bercy is confirmed for 2 nights in July ,11th and 13th July.
    The European Championships final is on the 10th .
    I might head over for that and give Croke park a miss.

I wonder what the merchandise will be like for Croke Park ???. Cheaper to buy off the online store ???.

sadly my irish 2013 tour shirt (really cool shirt) wont fit me anymore

http://brucespringsteen.fanfire.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/Store.woa/wa/product?sourceCode=BSPWEBWWEUR&sku=BSP67318. :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

http://brucespringsteen.fanfire.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/Store.woa/wa/product?sourceCode=BSPWEBWWEUR&sku=BSP67255. looks like something u get in pennys

I wonder what the merchandise will be like for Croke Park ???. Cheaper to buy off the online store ???.

sadly my irish 2013 tour shirt (really cool shirt) wont fit me anymore

http://brucespringsteen.fanfire.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/Store.woa/wa/product?sourceCode=BSPWEBWWEUR&sku=BSP67318. :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

http://brucespringsteen.fanfire.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/Store.woa/wa/product?sourceCode=BSPWEBWWEUR&sku=BSP67255. looks like something u get in pennys

Looking to wear the tshirt of the band you're going to see? Don't be that guy.

Looking to wear the tshirt of the band you're going to see? Don't be that guy.

Always buy t shirts/programmes at concerts. I'm not paying 80 Euro plus about 50 Euro delivery fee for a bomber jacket. Won a voucher for Amazon and got a cheap cartoon Bruce t shirt

I'm not like the bandwagon Jersey wearer who wears the Irish Jersey with pride when it's the in thing. U ask these people are u watching the match at the weekend and they answer u 'who's playing'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,295 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Well if its anything like the U2 merchandise ,it will be crap.

I had a good look at the shirts in Dublin and they felt like they would fall apart after a few washes ,very light and cheap material.
    The one I bought off a hawker outside for 10 euro was far superior quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,777 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

I like the jacket tbh. It's the kind of thing I would normally wear anyway. The fact that the logo is small would be a bonus.
    If price is the same at the show I'll be tempted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Just a reminder - Barcelona on sale this morning at 9am Irish time for anyone interested in going.

Advertisement