Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bruce Springsteen General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jossnjuice

The Nal wrote: »
    No worse crowd than a bad Irish crowd but no better crowd than a good Irish crowd!

Splendid.....nail on the head stuff there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

Great gig last night. I was at Belfast also and I thought this was clearly better. It was a much better setlist for the casual fan with the sprinkling of the well known hits even throughout.

It was a huge relief just to get there tbh. Contacted a very helpful woman on Toutless and arranged to meet her outside O'Neills in Suffolk St on Saturday night. Got the tickets and went back inside for a few drinks with the girlfriend. I gave her the envelope to put in her bag and went back to looking forward to the gig.

Fast forward to Sunday morning 8am and I was about to go out. She burst in and said 'Where are the tickets?' hmmmm.... 'They're in your bag' I replied...

'NO THEY'RE NOT!' she screamed as she emptied the contents of her handbag on the floor. Naturally blind panic ensued. We had left the pub at about 10pm. I thought we had no chance of getting them back.

Rang O'Neills, not expecting anyone to be there and a guy answered. I tried my best to calmly explain the situation. He went off to check and came back 10 seconds later to say they were there! 'F***ING WONDERUL' were my words I think. He laughed. A huge thank you to O'Neills staff and whoever picked up/ handed in the tickets.

Absolutely delighted to get Born To Run in full. 8th show and the first time I'd heard Backstreets. I thought Adam Raised A Cain was a particular highlight along with This Hard Land.

I was a little peeved at the crowd in Belfast and it was worse in Kilkenny. Alot of drunken, dis-interested people. I remember thinking during 'Meeting Across The River' that I could barely hear him sing with all the gob****es shouting around me. Nature of the beast I suppose given the festival-style atmosphere at the outdoor shows. Sad to think that it may be a predominantly Irish thing though.

I would love to see the full band in an indoor arena. I'd love to see a solo show too. All that being said, Bruce is only getting better since my first show about 8/9 years ago. I can't wait for the next tour!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

dixiefly wrote: »
    Where was security last evening when the drunkards were ruining it for everyone? In the pit, a dad beside us had his daughter on his shoulder for a few minutes and was approached by a security guy to put her Dow (security guy was nice about it in fairness).

You would imagine that the focus of security would haven been these idiots. Overall, I had no problems with the organisation yesterday.

There were a bunch of drunk nordies in the pit. They were hammered. In fairness to them, despite how hammered they were, they still knew every word to every song! :D

But they got in an argument with each other at one stage, and nordies being nordies, were louder than the usual. Security stepped in and warned them. They quietened down after it though, but still distracted from a few songs where I'd like to have been able to focus on the stage, not what was going on around me.

It was my first Bruce gig, and the hardcore lads with me reckoned it was one of his better ones on the current tour. They seemed to reckon the gigs without supports were better, but I guess on a weekend, people will be boozing all day.
    Bunch of D4 heads beside me as well, who looked like they were dressed for the Shelbourne as opposed to a gig. One of them went for a beer, and came back with a crate of it! $$$$$. I don't know whose twangs were worse, theirs or the nordies... ;)

Only joking..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Relax about the crowd lads jesus, it was an all dayer and it's a rock n roll show not a tennis match or a golf tournament.

I was in the pit both days so maybe I just didnt see it but come on.. if you think that crowd was bad you must not get out to many gigs.

Great night both nights but I think Saturday just pipped it for me, that may even be the best time I've seen him (others being RDS gigs and the SS band Point gig).

Funny about that bono rumour, there was a lot of that kind of thing and wild Bruce stories going around KK pubs, just added to the whole buzz of the weekend really I think.

No special guest could have beaten Glens performance anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

nm wrote: »
    Relax about the crowd lads jesus, it was an all dayer and it's a rock n roll show not a tennis match or a golf tournament.

I was in the pit both days so maybe I just didnt see it but come on.. if you think that crowd was bad you must not get out to many gigs.

Great night both nights but I think Saturday just pipped it for me, that may even be the best time I've seen him (others being RDS gigs and the SS band Point gig).

Funny about that bono rumour, there was a lot of that kind of thing and wild Bruce stories going around KK pubs, just added to the whole buzz of the weekend really I think.

No special guest could have beaten Glens performance anyway.

No offence, but since you were in the pit and didnt see any of it maybe you shouldnt comment since you cant do it with any credibility. How can you make the statement "if you think that crowd was bad" etc when you didnt see it?

I have been to plenty of outdoor concerts, festivals and shows and have experienced far worse then what was going on last night, but the amount of tools who were there with no interest in what was happening on stage was mind boggling.

They were there for a piss up, it was more of a festival feel then a Bruce concert, I knew what it would be like before I went so it wasnt a surprise really, just mind boggling why you would bother

Two guys near me had to be carried out as they could no longer stand and kept falling into people all around them, Bruce had been on stage ten minutes at this stage

• Advertisement

Whatever about the crowd, thank God Bono didn't show up on stage and ruin it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Gavlor wrote: »
    RDS was never as bad and nor was cork.

There were plenty of pissheads in the pit in Cork too .

kryogen wrote: »
    No offence, but since you were in the pit and didnt see any of it maybe you shouldnt comment since you cant do it with any credibility. How can you make the statement "if you think that crowd was bad" etc when you didnt see it?

To clear I did leave the pit - spent a fair part of the day in the stands on Saturday and was on the pitch on Sunday all day until about 6pm when I was lucky enough to procure a pit band.

From what I saw there were drunk people (I have no issue with this). I saw zero trouble either day.
    Maybe you did, but I didnt see anything worth moaning about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

To clear I did leave the pit - spent a fair part of the day in the stands on Saturday and was on the pitch on Sunday all day until about 6pm when I was lucky enough to procure a pit band.

From what I saw there were drunk people (I have no issue with this). I saw zero trouble either day.
    Maybe you did, but I didnt see anything worth moaning about.

I think it's fair enough to be annoyed if people are stopping you enjoying the concert, particularly if you're really into the music. It's probably more annoying given there's not much you can do about it!

It didn't really affect my enjoyment of the gig - just slightly mystifying that people get completely legless and ignore the music after paying all that money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Meangadh

Yeah in fairness, whilst there were drunk people at the three different gigs I was at, there was no trouble from what I could see.

I thought Nowlan Park was a million times better as a venue than Páirc Uí Chaoimh though- no ridiculous queues for drinks and getting out of the stadium was a breeze compared to Cork. Much better direction from the stewards and someone talking over the tannoy system unlike in Cork.

The toilet situation was probably on a par in both, maybe a bit better in Cork in fairness.

Overall Nowlan Park was a better venue though, from my experience anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Kilkenny crowd was to be expected somewhat, seeing as the set-up allowed for a full day of drinking for people who had no interest in the show..

Limerick seemed a slight bit better judging my soem accounts, but I had an awful woman in the pit, who arrived into the pit at 7, tried to push passed me to get to the front, when i refused to move said i was 'violating her personal space'.. I then calmly explained to her that I;m sorry but I'd been here since 1 o'clock had not moved and would not be moving for her or anyone..

This completely set her off and began saying as I am young I therefore have no interest in Bruce and didn't deserve to even be there.. she spent rest of the next hour hurtling abuse at me until eventually stewards(who i work with) had a word with her..

Just trying to prove it's not always drunken youngsters causing trouble, some of us are actually big enough Bruce fans :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,772 ✭✭✭lertsnim

The Nal wrote: »
    No worse crowd than a bad Irish crowd but no better crowd than a good Irish crowd!

You get gob****es at gigs in every country. It's not just an Irish thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

Tomorrowland 2012, 9 Bruce gigs, numerous open air gigs, hell I was even at Swedish House Mafia last year. None of them compared to what I was standing beside in Kilkenny

To me gigs seem to have become a scary beast these days, populated by old couples who get out once or twice a year, don stetsons and drink as much as possible so they can clap out of time, fart for the duration of the gig and stick their smashed screen iPhone in my face while they film an entire gig. Or the other side is the 20 to 30 age bracket who, like, just, HAVE to be there. No idea what's being played. No interest in what the artist is saying. No real clue where they are. I mean jesus I heard one such moron exclaim while exiting the park that "he didn't even play The River".

As I said I was at Tomorrowland last year, a festival which would be shut down after an hour here, and there was zero hassle. I mean zero. Thousands of people were off their face and still were the most polite and friendly people I've ever met. I was at The Gaslight Anthem in the Troxy in London earlier this year and I was in shock that people actually said Excuse Me when squeezing through the crowd, and apologised if a single drop of their beer fell from their cup and possibly graced my shoe.

Admittedly this is my first time not being in the pit since 09, but should I have to queue from all hours of the morning just for the privilege of, god I don't know, being able to enjoy the concert I've spent good money for? We're going down the drain quick as regards gig crowds.

The problem is with "event junkies". They've infested gigs and sport in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

seachto7 wrote: »
    The problem is with "event junkies". They've infested gigs and sport in Ireland.

Yeah. I blame the Irish Times Magazine.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭Zardoz

niallon wrote: »
    I mean jesus I heard one such moron exclaim while exiting the park that "he didn't even play The River".

That could have been me .:pac:

I'm sure alot of people were disappointed he didn't play that song in Cork with the stadium being beside the river.
    One of my buddies,who goes to alot of music gigs (and doesnt drink btw ) was a bit peeved he didnt play it as its his favourite song .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

For me, last night was worth the admission for Wild Billy's Circus Story alone, though I felt a bit sorry for Garry having to sit it out. Is he not able to play it anymore? :( That was a really nice arrangement of Man at the Top too.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Digitalism

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Kilkenny crowd was to be expected somewhat, seeing as the set-up allowed for a full day of drinking for people who had no interest in the show..

Are you really generalising a whole country as loud drunks based on a few little incidents yesterday, when in fact theres a good chance the culprits were not even from kilkenny?

Some people need to get out more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

bennyl10 wrote: »

Limerick seemed a slight bit better judging my soem accounts, but I had an awful woman in the pit, who arrived into the pit at 7, tried to push passed me to get to the front, when i refused to move said i was 'violating her personal space'.. I then calmly explained to her that I;m sorry but I'd been here since 1 o'clock had not moved and would not be moving for her or anyone..

This completely set her off and began saying as I am young I therefore have no interest in Bruce and didn't deserve to even be there.. she spent rest of the next hour hurtling abuse at me until eventually stewards(who i work with) had a word with her..

Just trying to prove it's not always drunken youngsters causing trouble, some of us are actually big enough Bruce fans :P

Sounds just like the woman who was in front of us at the gig in the RDS last year...

Thing is, people who only go to gigs once in a blue moon have every right to be there, same as anyone else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,416 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Zardoz wrote: »
    That could have been me .:pac:

I'm sure alot of people were disappointed he didn't play that song in Cork with the stadium being beside the river.
    One of my buddies,who goes to alot of music gigs (and doesnt drink btw ) was a bit peeved he didnt play it as its his favourite song .

Saturdays performance of the river was brillent. Really didnt expect it after Jack of all trades

Any bootlegs of any of the irish shows, have dublin night 1 from last year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

loved how bruce did the request songs, as he called them, "debts to pay off", loved man at the top. Have to say lm sad its over, enjoyed this thread & reading notes, set lists etc from all the concerts in europe...the whole lot of it was a thrill! cant wait to do it over over again...soon! :D

niallon wrote: »
    I was even at Swedish House Mafia last year. None of them compared to what I was standing beside in Cork.

You're saying that the crowd at Bruce Springsteen in Cork was rougher and rowdier and more out of it than the crowd at the Swedish House Mafia in Phoenix Park last year? The notoriously violent gig with several overdoses, 9 separate stabbings and two fatalities?

I wasnt at the Cork gig myself but I find that very hard to believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

seachto7 wrote: »
    Thing is, people who only go to gigs once in a blue moon have every right to be there, same as anyone else.

Absolutely and they have just as much right to enjoy themselves as anyone else.
    But if their idea of enjoying themselves is getting sh1tfaced and annoying everyone else then I'd prefer if they did it somewhere else, Michael Bublé for example then I'll never bump into them.
    Dont mind people getting drunk and having a party, it the disinterest in the actual thing they payed in to that gets me.
    Anyway we are all a bit crotchety today, Bruce blues I guess!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,416 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Nxt tour id say forget about Cork.

Play in Pearse Statium- Galway, Thomond Park Limerick, Nowlan Park Kilkenny, RDS Dublin and Belfast

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

You're saying that the crowd at Bruce Springsteen in Cork was rougher and rowdier and more out of it than the crowd at the Swedish House Mafia in Phoenix Park last year? The notoriously violent gig with several overdoses, 9 separate stabbings and two fatalities?

I wasnt at the Cork gig myself but I find that very hard to believe.

Sorry I have ammended that post as I meant to say Kilkenny, for the record Cork had the best crowd I've ever seen at the Springsteen gigs I've been to.

As for what I said, I said I was at that gig and didn't find myself in the vicinity of anything as bad as what I suffered in Kilkenny. When it got to the point last night that I could picture myself getting dragged into a fight simply so as that a bunch of mindless Twerps, who were whinging over their hurling team losing a match, wouldn't cause injury to my father who was standing next to me, that's when I knew things had gone to pot.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭ankaragucu

Gig crowds are not the problem.Irish societys attitude to alcohol is.Italians,Canadians,etc who attended the gigs here ALSO had access to all day drinking before the gig, also were in a festival type atmosphere.
    How many Italians,Canadians,etc did you see at the shows out of their heads,roaring and shouting,spilling drink on others and not bothered with the actual show?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭ryaner1979

Last night was my favourite Bruce gig from the 5 I have attended over the last 5 years. The pit was the place to be and was hopping for the last hour. Great set and how the man can keep putting on shows like this at 63 I'll never know. Imelda May was also fantastic

Advertisement