Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bruce Springsteen General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭lollipop19

I was there for LAPD, Imelda May and Bruce. First time seeing LAPD & Imelda may live and both were excellent, and as for Bruce, well he was just amazing. The traffic management was super, it make some change to be in the car and out on the road home within 30 minutes of the end of the concert. I was in the old stand and the toilets were horrendous, ended up with a ladies queue for the gents as the ladies queue was so long. I'm sure they're fine for a match, but not with that size of a crowd who were there all day.
    I'm not a huge concert goer (Bruce in the RDS last year was my last gig) but it never ceases to amaze me that so many people will give €100 for a ticket in order to go and get absolutely plastered. Some of those seated near us seemed to spend more time on their way to and from the bar than anything else. I'm just not sure where the enjoyment is in that!
    One last comment, about the "Event Staff" Most were lovely, but some were just so over the top. Where we were in the old stand, you got given out to if you stood up to dance. I realise that alleyways must be kept clear for safety reasons, but I mean standing at your seat!! And we were in the back row, so we couldn't be blocking anyone elses view. It was ridiculous really, and a bit laughable. The attitude seemed to be that as you had paid for a seat, that you should be sitting in it at all times!

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Goreme

nm wrote: »
    Relax about the crowd lads jesus, it was an all dayer and it's a rock n roll show not a tennis match or a golf tournament.
    I was in the pit both days so maybe I just didnt see it but come on.. if you think that crowd was bad you must not get out to many gigs.
    Agree with you there, the pit in the RDS the last few years was a bit better behaved but I was in the pit on Saturday night and there were a few lubricated people, but nothing out of order. There some talking during Drive all Night but I just moved a bit to the right of them, then it was ok. Yeah you're right its not Tennis at Wimbledon... Now I went to another 'evening' gig a Thursday evening last year - The Stone Roses and F**k was that crowd drunk/drugged and obnoxious. Idiots making their way in with 4/5 pints piled up, spilling it all over you. The drinking at Kilkenny's all-dayer was kids stuff compared to the Roses idiotic drunks.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

You're saying that the crowd at Bruce Springsteen in Cork was rougher and rowdier and more out of it than the crowd at the Swedish House Mafia in Phoenix Park last year? The notoriously violent gig with several overdoses, 9 separate stabbings and two fatalities?

I wasnt at the Cork gig myself but I find that very hard to believe.
    I wasn't at either gig but think it is believable, I was surprised to hear the stories about the swedish house mafia and wondered if they were very isolated incidents, since they are more likely to be off their nut on E than booze, and I'd certainly prefer to encounter a gang of lads on E rather than drink.
    ankaragucu wrote: »
    Italians,Canadians,etc who attended the gigs here ALSO had access to all day drinking before the gig, also were in a festival type atmosphere.
    How many Italians,Canadians,etc did you see at the shows out of their heads,roaring and shouting,spilling drink on others and not bothered with the actual show?
    I expect the average Irish person who would have travelled all the way to Canada to a springsteen gig would have drank less than the average Irish concert goer here would.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭ankaragucu

rubadub wrote: »
    I wasn't at either gig but think it is believable, I was surprised to hear the stories about the swedish house mafia and wondered if they were very isolated incidents, since they are more likely to be off their nut on E than booze, and I'd certainly prefer to encounter a gang of lads on E rather than drink.

I expect the average Irish person who would have travelled all the way to Canada to a springsteen gig would have drank less than the average Irish concert goer here would.

Okay I'll put it another way then.If the average Irish person went to Canada for a Springsteen gig they wouldn't encounter any where near the same amount of drunken Canadian Muppets as there were Irish this weekend.
    We travelled to see Bruce in Hamburg a few years back and you know how many messy German drunks we saw?
    Zero.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Digitalism wrote: »
    Are you really generalising a whole country as loud drunks based on a few little incidents yesterday, when in fact theres a good chance the culprits were not even from kilkenny?

Some people need to get out more.

Not at all, i thought i was being crystal clear but seemingly not.. I was saying the Kilkenny gigs, over the rest, were set up in a way thay drinking would have been promoted & more consumed.. I didnt mention where peiple were from.

Some people need to actually read posts propery & get down off their high horse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

As stated above, its a problem this country has with drink. The people who were drunk either night in Kilkenny are the same people who will spend a lot of time at any event, be it social or sporting, drinking. The first thing they will look for at an event is the bar.

I don't lead a sheltered life i think but i never saw as many drunk people at a concert or sporting event on Saturday night. And i would go to lots of events not just in Ireland. I spent 5 days at the Olympics last year and didn't see one drunk person at 6 different events.

I had a thought earlier that wouldn't it be great it there was no drink at an outdoor gig but i'm sure the promoters see it as a money making item and there would be an almighty riot if all those people who wanted drink couldn't get it.

I doubt that there would be a riot if people who went to a concert to hear and see the music/artists couldn't do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 loriboss10

I agree, too much alcohol consumption yesterday - I don't understand why people bother going to a show when their only intent is to be completely off their heads. They certainly weren't there for the music & infact could have ruined the experience for those around them.
    My opinion - restrict selling of alcohol until much later just prior to main act!!

P.S. has anyone got a cure for "The Boss Blues" ?? :(:(
    What an emotional show last night, it was just fantastic! Thanks Bruce xx

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

loriboss10 wrote: »
    I agree, too much alcohol consumption yesterday - I don't understand why people bother going to a show when their only intent is to be completely off their heads. They certainly weren't there for the music & infact could have ruined the experience for those around them.
    My opinion - restrict selling of alcohol until much later just prior to main act!!

P.S. has anyone got a cure for "The Boss Blues" ?? :(:(
    What an emotional show last night, it was just fantastic! Thanks Bruce xx

Or restrict the buying of alcohol to what you can handle!
    Cure for the Bruce Blues? sorry no, listening to this at the moment to wind down after the gigs.
    http://www.npr.org/event/music/204511790/hurray-for-the-riff-raff-live-in-concert-newport-folk-2013?autoplay=true

• Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Relax about the crowd lads jesus, it was an all dayer and it's a rock n roll show not a tennis match or a golf tournament.

I was in the pit both days so maybe I just didnt see it but come on.. if you think that crowd was bad you must not get out to many gigs.

If only I had thought of making a point of highlighting that I've been to loads of gigs by all types of musicians/bands from all genres of music!

The point is, why bother going to a gig like Springsteen if your main objective is to get bladderd, fall around like a tranquillised bear and do your best to ruin the night for the people around you

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭cometogether

Goreme wrote: »
    Agree with you there, the pit in the RDS the last few years was a bit better behaved but I was in the pit on Saturday night and there were a few lubricated people, but nothing out of order. There some talking during Drive all Night but I just moved a bit to the right of them, then it was ok. Yeah you're right its not Tennis at Wimbledon... Now I went to another 'evening' gig a Thursday evening last year - The Stone Roses and F**k was that crowd drunk/drugged and obnoxious. Idiots making their way in with 4/5 pints piled up, spilling it all over you. The drinking at Kilkenny's all-dayer was kids stuff compared to the Roses idiotic drunks.

Really? I didn't see any of that myself at the Roses, that said I was in the very front row so arrived there really early

• Advertisement

seachto7 wrote: »
    Thing is, people who only go to gigs once in a blue moon have every right to be there, same as anyone else.
    But they don't have the right to be assholes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,612 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Was this mainly a pitch thing? I didnt see anyone boozed around me in the stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Was this mainly a pitch thing? I didnt see anyone boozed around me in the stands.

Yup. The group beside me had a great system in fairness. 3 of them there and one was always gone to the bar!

Really? I didn't see any of that myself at the Roses, that said I was in the very front row so arrived there really early
    Yes I should have said that I was in the main section and there was sooo many people pissed and spilling drinks, my brother in law and wife were in the pit like you and it was more chilled alright - he said, also a much better sound, the sound in the main area was disgracefully bad/low at the Stone Roses, but he said the sound in the pit was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Pingi

Strolled in the red entrance (no que) just after 2 on Saturday to see Josh Ritter and got handed wristbands for the pit, I couldn't believe it.

Was very surprised how slowly the place filled up considering the great support acts. Spent the day in the pit with my mother, the real Bruce fan (I was only her minder for the day)

We didn't see an ounce of trouble or anybody falling around, people were drunk where we were but not to a stage were they were over the top.

Where people are saying it was down to the long day (festival like) I'm not so sure, maybe a lot of them had long days in the pub or drinking from the offy beforehand? From where I was standing more than half the crowd didn't come in until gone 6 and there were people in the pit sleeping and reading books while the support acts were on.

I thought all 4 acts were absolutely brilliant, couldn't believe the show Bruce put on, he made a fan out of me & the mothers still buzzing.

seachto7 wrote: »
    Whatever about the crowd, thank God Bono didn't show up on stage and ruin it all.
    ... amen to that! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 olddantucker

Nowlan park great venue I like liked it.
    Was at the Limerick gig and there was a deffo a differnet vibe to the gig with the full day line up.No doubt the hurling match added to the drunk locals with Kilkenny playing sunday.Also a huge number of village idiots types I found
    But all in all a lot of them prob left bored so last hour was good.Met a savage blonde lady at it chatted for a min anyone see her wearing pretty woman boots oh wow haha

Pingi wrote: »
    Strolled in the red entrance (no que) just after 2 on Saturday to see Josh Ritter and got handed wristbands for the pit, I couldn't believe it.

Was very surprised how slowly the place filled up considering the great support acts. Spent the day in the pit with my mother, the real Bruce fan (I was only her minder for the day)

We didn't see an ounce of trouble or anybody falling around, people were drunk where we were but not to a stage were they were over the top.

Where people are saying it was down to the long day (festival like) I'm not so sure, maybe a lot of them had long days in the pub or drinking from the offy beforehand? From where I was standing more than half the crowd didn't come in until gone 6 and there were people in the pit sleeping and reading books while the support acts were on.

I thought all 4 acts were absolutely brilliant, couldn't believe the show Bruce put on, he made a fan out of me & the mothers still buzzing.
    ok from now reading the comments, it looks like the pit (where I was for the show) was definately ok, and I feel sorry for anyone who had to put up with drunken idiots in the main pitch area.

PS I was watching near one of the gates and pit wristband giving out stopped at 3pm on Saturday, my brotheregot his at 1.30pm Sunday and he said that gate stopped giving them out around that time (1.30 ish) on Sunday - so a big difference there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

There were a few drunken idiots in the pit, but despite their state, they still knew every song. I'm just sorry I didn't continue my conversation with the blonde in the wine dress who was looking at the tour dates on my tshirt.... :(

Gah!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭ryaner1979

Was in the red q for just after 12 on Sunday and told pit passes were gone. Think they gave too many to the blue q. Ended up following a group who started running across the pitch towards the blue entrance at 1 and getting my pit pass. Didn't notice anyone messy drunk in the pit. Had great crack jumping around for the last hour in the rain.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Best Bruce gig I have ever been at - was an amazing show he put on. Kudos to Imelda May too - not my cup of tea but she put on a great performance.

The arséhole quota was higher than other Bruce gigs I've been at but that was probably down to the festival/all-day feel to it and the fact that a lot were watching the match while having a few pints and the easy access to beer - had only to reach out to get Carlsberg if I wanted it :).

Overall an amazing gig and good venue and well organised..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

ryaner1979 wrote: »
    Was in the red q for just after 12 on Sunday and told pit passes were gone. Think they gave too many to the blue q. Ended up following a group who started running across the pitch towards the blue entrance at 1 and getting my pit pass. Didn't notice anyone messy drunk in the pit. Had great crack jumping around for the last hour in the rain.

My ticket was for red queue. Steward told me to go to red entrance queue but I went in the blue queue and got pit band no hassle....

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭bridster007

Goreme wrote: »
    ... amen to that! :-)

If Bruce brings someone on as a guest you should respect that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Didn't hear glen get anything but well deserved support and encouragement from the crowd and easily the quietest most respectful moment of the whole night while they played Drive all night.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭TopBombing

There were a few drunken clowns around me on Saturday, no more than I've seen at plenty of other gig's but there's no way I was going to let them ruin my evening.

A lot of Irish people just don't seem to realise that they cant drink as much as they think they can. Baffles me why people pay that kind of money for tickets & then get so pissed they wont remember anything about the gig!!

That was my third time seeing Springsteen & it was probably one of the best shows I've ever seen, and I go to a lot of gigs, unreal performance.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Nice review here with some cool you tube clips included....

http://www.backstreets.com/setlists.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

"Then, "Wild Billy's Circus Story" for the pit resident who is the biggest fan of that song ever (though the broader crowd reaction jammed bathrooms and beer lines)".

:eek::mad::(

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

If Bruce brings someone on as a guest you should respect that.
    The point being made was he didn't bring Bono on as guest, which means we must hold Bruce in even higher esteem for his good judgement there!!

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭larry1

Bruce partied till 5am with Glen and some other Irish lads in the residents bar in Mount Juliet :D

8yl4.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Any videos up of that kid from the audience playing guitar with the band on night 2?

Advertisement