Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bruce Springsteen General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I didn't know the fiddle player/guitarist/singer played with Patti once upon a time..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

seachto7 wrote: »
    I didn't know the fiddle player/guitarist/singer played with Patti once upon a time..

Yeah. Soozie is actually on every Bruce studio album since 1992 as well.
    Apart from Bruce and Patti, she's chalked up more credits than any other musician on Bruce's records since then, as she is on the two solo acoustic albums (Tom Joad, Devils and Dust) and the Seeger Sessions, as well as contributing to the four albums done with the E-Street Band.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

After the gig I revisited his back catalogue this week. His 00s output is good. I'm liking wrecking ball,magic,devils and dust but not sure about working on a dream yet. Next up to revisit is tunnel of love and lucky town. I already have his most well known. Pity he did not play "if i should fall behind" in KK...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭Zardoz

A fantastic weekend of music overall, I was a little disappointing after the Cork gig which seemed a bit flat to me, the set list choices were a bit lackluster too IMO, this was accentuated after how incredible the Limerick show was! right up there with the best times I've seen Bruce and the E Street! They were on fire that night, and the Thomond Park crowd were great and really got into the show making for a fantastic atmosphere!

Limerick was a great gig allright,crowd were really great and the setlist was full of hits.

The setlist in Cork was brutal to be honest ,the crowd just couldn't get into it.
    It started well and ended well but it lost its way in between .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭gg2

After the gig I revisited his back catalogue this week. His 00s output is good. I'm liking wrecking ball,magic,devils and dust but not sure about working on a dream yet. Next up to revisit is tunnel of love and lucky town. I already have his most well known. Pity he did not play "if i should fall behind" in KK...

I never warmed to working on a dream, My Lucky Day is an ok tune but overall I don't rate it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭gg2

Nope, struck me as quite odd, especially been as her 60th birthday was the Monday after Kilkenny, I heard reports a party in the Lyrath Estate was planned for her tho, Disappointing not to see her on stage, I thought she would make an appearance on Sunday for some Tunnel of Love gems!

Was she even in the country with him? Someone was telling me today that he hasn't been wearing his wedding ring...

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Goreme

gg2 wrote: »
    I never warmed to working on a dream, My Lucky Day is an ok tune but overall I don't rate it
    On the plus side he makes Outlaw Pete into a fantastic song live as seen on the DVD London Calling - Live in Hyde Park (2009)

Just ordered that dvd! This is what I liked about his gigs. He played stuff off albums I wouldn't have been too familiar with, changed them up a bit.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

david75 wrote: »

That's an excellent video, took ages to download but well worth it...

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭muirsheen

Zardoz wrote: »
    Limerick was a great gig allright,crowd were really great and the setlist was full of hits.

The setlist in Cork was brutal to be honest ,the crowd just couldn't get into it.

That's exactly how I felt. Kinda got bored in between. As I said not the best concert of his I've been at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

muirsheen wrote: »
    That's exactly how I felt. Kinda got bored in between. As I said not the best concert of his I've been at.

My Love Will Not Let You Down
    Wild Thing
    Frankie
    Adam Raised a Cain
    Seeds
    The Price You Pay
    Prove It All Night (78!)
    Real World (Acoustic!)
    Seven Nights to Rock
    Thunder Road (Acoustic)

Yeah - really poor show :D
    Songs in bold worth the admission money.....the others were just plain fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 ThunderRoad94

Dr. Nick wrote: »
    My Love Will Not Let You Down
    Wild Thing
    Frankie
    Adam Raised a Cain
    Seeds
    The Price You Pay
    Prove It All Night (78!)
    Real World (Acoustic!)
    Seven Nights to Rock
    Thunder Road (Acoustic)

Yeah - really poor show :D
    Songs in bold worth the admission money.....the others were just plain fantastic.

Thank you Dr. Nick! Was reading the last few posts hardly believing my eyes. Cork was unbelievable. Yes, I suppose Limerick had a few more powerful, emotional songs, (DRIVE ALL NIGHT, anyone?! American Skin (41 Shots), The River, etc etc) but Cork was a nonstop PARTY. I nearly burst into tears when I heard Roy launch into Prove it 78. I had a sign request for it painted and all but didn't bring it at the last minute. Delighted beyond words that I got to hear that musical gem played live at least once in my life. AND, so so glad, that even if Bruce never tours again (which he will he will he will he will :rolleyes:), the last song I will have ever seen him perform will be an acoustic Thunder Road. Beautiful. :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Thank you Dr. Nick! Was reading the last few posts hardly believing my eyes. Cork was unbelievable. Yes, I suppose Limerick had a few more powerful, emotional songs, (DRIVE ALL NIGHT, anyone?! American Skin (41 Shots), The River, etc etc) but Cork was a nonstop PARTY. I nearly burst into tears when I heard Roy launch into Prove it 78. I had a sign request for it painted and all but didn't bring it at the last minute. Delighted beyond words that I got to hear that musical gem played live at least once in my life. AND, so so glad, that even if Bruce never tours again (which he will he will he will he will :rolleyes:), the last song I will have ever seen him perform will be an acoustic Thunder Road. Beautiful. :)

I wasn't at Cork but i'd agree with the previous 2 posters, the setlist looks great, a few from the river including out in the street and sherry darling. Frankie is class as well, wouldn't be at all disappointed by that setlist.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭rebel without a clue

limerick, kilkenny (2nd night), cork in that order.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

I really don't get the coldness to Cork, it took me days to buy a ticket for KK simply because I just didnt want to be trying to get a gig to top Cork.

Without being a greatest hits gig, Limerick was a much better all rounder I suppose, it could have been your first Springsteen gig and you would've gone home happy as much as a die hard. But Cork.... I just thought he went out of his way to make it special and ensure that the multi-giggers were catered for too

• Registered Users Posts: 11 ThunderRoad94

Zardoz wrote: »

Just because a setlist isn't full of hits doesn't make it "brutal". :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭bridster007

Everybody takes something different from each show.
    Limerick topped it due to style of stadium and being first show. For some reason the crowd were very eager as well as Bruce. One fed the other.
    If Cork had been the first show then it may have been the top. But Cork was also a very hot, energy sapping day. Think a lot more people on the beer in Cork as it was a Thursday compared to Tuesday in Limerick.
    Very hard to compare shows but I'd put Limerick in my top 5 Bruce shows ever (of 60). That's how good it was for me.

www.brucetapes.com

is a useful site with the setlists, direct links to videos ,pics and other info for every show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

can we change the subject? its obvious some people didnt like cork as much as the others, where as other posters reckon it was one of the best shows etc.....

does anyone know anything about the new album??

I nearly burst into tears when I heard Roy launch into Prove it 78. I had a sign request for it painted and all but didn't bring it at the last minute. Delighted beyond words that I got to hear that musical gem played live at least once in my life.

Here ya go lad, Prove It 78 from Cork....

Limerick topped it due to style of stadium and being first show. For some reason the crowd were very eager as well as Bruce. One fed the other.
    If Cork had been the first show then it may have been the top. But Cork was also a very hot, energy sapping day. Think a lot more people on the beer in Cork as it was a Thursday compared to Tuesday in Limerick.
    Very hard to compare shows but I'd put Limerick in my top 5 Bruce shows ever (of 60). That's how good it was for me.

www.brucetapes.com

is a useful site with the setlists, direct links to videos ,pics and other info for every show.

Good post. No, excellent post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Just because a setlist isn't full of hits doesn't make it "brutal". :rolleyes:
    Perhaps brutal was a bit of an over reaction.
    Of course it doesnt have to be all hits to be a good gig.

Anyone remember Bruce singing Spirit in the Night in Limerick and he put the mic down to a kid to sing and some clown in the crowd blurted out the words instead in an awful screech.
    "This mans beating up on a child,I cant have that" :D

Edit:Here it is

• Registered Users Posts: 7 loriboss10

Really ?? I'm shocked! Must have been at a different gig than me. Thought he rocked it in Cork. Limerick was special though .... One of my top 5 I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭muirsheen

can we change the subject? its obvious some people didnt like cork as much as the others, where as other posters reckon it was one of the best shows etc.....

does anyone know anything about the new album??

Exactly each to their own.

As far as I aware don't tickets for his gigs go on sale in December. Think I've bought all mine in or around then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

Exactly each to their own.

As far as I aware don't tickets for his gigs go on sale in December. Think I've bought all mine in or around then?

l dont know tbh...this year was my 1st time seeing him, those tickets went on sale in dec

www.brucetapes.com

On this site there is mentioned a list of Bruce albums ranked from best to worst. But for the life of me I can't locate the list. Can anyone else see where it is?

Just ordered that dvd! This is what I liked about his gigs. He played stuff off albums I wouldn't have been too familiar with, changed them up a bit.
    Re: Live in Hyde Park. - Yes I also only got the video myself a week ago, I thought it was an excellent representation of a Bruce concert. I'd only had the audio (downloaded from somewhere) for the last couple of years, but the audio, on its only, also I thought represented really well a Bruce concert, especially the first 70 mins. I also really liked his version of London Calling, and also Steve's vocals! I remember Paul McLoone playing that song when the DVD first came out a couple of Clash fans texted in, all indignant. But I think its a great version of London Calling.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

It seems to be just a link to this article.

http://www.stereogum.com/1415231/bruce-springsteen-albums-from-worst-to-best/list/

Human Touch
    Lucky Town
    Working on a Dream
    We Shall Overcome: The Seeger Sessions
    The Ghost of Tom Joad
    Magic
    Wrecking Ball
    Devils & Dust
    The Rising
    The Promise
    Tracks
    Tunnel of Love
    Greetings from Asbury Park, NJ
    The River
    The Wild, the Innocent and the E-Street Shuffle
    Nebraska
    Born in the USA
    Darkness on the Edge of Town
    Born to Run

Personally, I think it's daft to include Tracks and The Promise in any countdown, since they're compilation albums of previously unreleased material. It's the equivalent of including Greatest Hits collections. Neither was presented as a body of work at the time of their original recording, and the quality control of any box set is going to vary hugely. What's also interesting is that he's effectively saying that Bruce hasn't made a decent album, in any incarnation, since The Rising.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

It seems to be just a link to this article.

http://www.stereogum.com/1415231/bruce-springsteen-albums-from-worst-to-best/list/

Human Touch
    Lucky Town
    Working on a Dream
    We Shall Overcome: The Seeger Sessions
    The Ghost of Tom Joad
    Magic
    Wrecking Ball
    Devils & Dust
    The Rising
    The Promise
    Tracks
    Tunnel of Love
    Greetings from Asbury Park, NJ
    The River
    The Wild, the Innocent and the E-Street Shuffle
    Nebraska
    Born in the USA
    Darkness on the Edge of Town
    Born to Run

Personally, I think it's daft to include Tracks and The Promise in any countdown, since they're compilation albums of previously unreleased material. It's the equivalent of including Greatest Hits collections. Neither was presented as a body of work at the time of their original recording, and the quality control of any box set is going to vary hugely. What's also interesting is that he's effectively saying that Bruce hasn't made a decent album, in any incarnation, since The Rising.
    First, thanks for the link.
    Second you have a very good point about including compilations, even of mostly unreleased material, in lists against complete albums.
    Thirdly, he is ranking them in the list, so do you take it that he is writing off the albums after the Rising?
    Fourthly, no list is ever going to satisify everyone, but I think Magic is a superb Album, 10/10, he really hit the nail in the head with that one, modern yet totally Bruce at the same time. For me its his best album since Tunnel of Love, and equalling the best albums of the period 'Greetings' to 'Tunnel of Love' album period. But as I said, lists are (meant to be!) divisive. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭borntobike

Magic is a wonderful album and do not know why he does not play tracks live now, Gypsy Biker and Last to Die great live songs!!
    On the other arguement Limerick was top class - my favourite concert out of 21 so far - along with Slane which will always be special.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭tracert

Dr. Nick wrote: »
    Here ya go lad, Prove It 78 from Cork....

Brilliant. Go on Nils! I still can't believe I saw Prove It All Night '78 live.

Advertisement