Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Looking for a reasonbly priced 13" laptop

• 13-11-2011 5:08pm

Can anyone recommend a 13" laptop for using ms office, itunes, skype and general internet browsing. I looked at a few but they seem more expensive and lower spec than 15" laptops.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

brenbrady wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a 13" laptop for using ms office, itunes, skype and general internet browsing. I looked at a few but they seem more expensive and lower spec than 15" laptops.

What's reasonably priced? 200? 500? 700?

What's reasonably priced? 200? 500? 700?

I would have thought less than €400 would be reasonable for general internet and office use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

I would have thought less than €400 would be reasonable for general internet and office use.

You'd think wrong I'm afraid. Your talking about 500+ at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

It's certainly possible.

Lenovo X121e for €389
    Ultra Low Voltage i3
    2GB DDR3 (Easily upgraded)
    320GB 7200RPM HDD
    Bluetooth
    11.6" screen with a resolution of 1366x768 which is above average for an 11.6" screen.

One of my friends has the exact same laptop and paid €520 for it and absolutely loves it. As a matter of fact, I have to admit I like it too. It's as portable as a netbook but far more powerful and far more durable.

If you're adamant on getting a 13" laptop, a normal voltage i3 Thinkpad E320 can be had for around €480. Personally i'd take the X121e though. Despite being less powerful, it's much better value and at the end of the day it'll handle the vast majority of day-to-day tasks without any issue.

Jaafa wrote: »
    You'd think wrong I'm afraid. Your talking about 500+ at least.

Well here is a 15" Acer with a Core i3, 2.53GHz for €386, I know its only 2GB Ram but memory can be upgraded separately. The 250GB hard drive won't be an issue as it's just for general office use. The only problem is that it's too big and not portable enough at 2.5kg. An 11" screen is just that bit too small so 13" is just right.

Based on the above I thought it a fair assumption to that I could pick up a laptop with a 13"screen and slower processor for same price.

• Advertisement

It's certainly possible.

Lenovo X121e for €389
    Ultra Low Voltage i3
    2GB DDR3 (Easily upgraded)
    320GB 7200RPM HDD
    Bluetooth
    11.6" screen with a resolution of 1366x768 which is above average for an 11.6" screen.

One of my friends has the exact same laptop and paid €520 for it and absolutely loves it. As a matter of fact, I have to admit I like it too. It's as portable as a netbook but far more powerful and far more durable.

If you're adamant on getting a 13" laptop, a normal voltage i3 Thinkpad E320 can be had for around €480. Personally i'd take the X121e though. Despite being less powerful, it's much better value and at the end of the day it'll handle the vast majority of day-to-day tasks without any issue.

Thanks for the replay, can you tell me where you seen it for €389

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

13 inch seems to be a tricky size alright.I was looking for one a while ago as wanted something reasonable portable and light but needed it to run more than any netbook could. You have the like of teh super expensive ultra portables which are lovely but pricey. In the end I went second hand only way I could find something cheap enough. Got an XPS 1330 for 260, which was a good deal. You may not want to go second hand it is a risk alright. Maybe try look out for refurbs or that, you'll get sites selling laptops that just got a bit of a scratch for big discouts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

Well here is a 15" Acer with a Core i3, 2.53GHz for €386, I know its only 2GB Ram but memory can be upgraded separately. The 250GB hard drive won't be an issue as it's just for general office use. The only problem is that it's too big and not portable enough at 2.5kg. An 11" screen is just that bit too small so 13" is just right.

Based on the above I thought it a fair assumption to that I could pick up a laptop with a 13"screen and slower processor for same price.

Thats the thing though. As you said, 13'' is just right. 13' is an expensive category because it's seen as a good compromise between performance and mobility and thus companies generally charge a premium for it.

Any size above or below it is generally cheaper.

• Advertisement
Advertisement