Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any chance of postponing exams for the march?

Options
  • 13-11-2011 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

Anyone had any success with asking lecturers to postpone an exam so you can go to the march on Wednesday? Few of us wanna ask to postpone a midterm worth 25% but I think it's pretty unlikely, unfortunately :(

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

A lot of lecturers, myself included, would be very sympathetic to such a request in principle. The problem is, rescheduling a mid-term is not always a simple task.

In the School I work in, many mid-term exams are not held in the lecture theatres, as there simply isn't enough space for many modules to hold everyone in exam conditions. This means that a new venue for the postponed mid-term exam will need to be found, which can be difficult as many mid-terms are competing for the space.

TA's are usually necessary to invigilate the exam. Again, scheduling them for a lecture slot, where they're not usually needed, can be difficult.

Many modules are also delivered by more than one person. The module co-ordinator mightn't be happy to move it, even if their colleagues are.

A mid-term is generally only an hour or so long. While you mightn't get to attend the march in full, why not go in after your mid-term exam and join it at a suitable place?

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Blacey

If you don't ask, you don't get. What's the harm in asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Jigglypuff wrote: »
    Anyone had any success with asking lecturers to postpone an exam so you can go to the march on Wednesday? Few of us wanna ask to postpone a midterm worth 25% but I think it's pretty unlikely, unfortunately :(
    No, I doubt any lecturer would postpone an exam for a march, I'd hope not anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

I think many lecturers would be of the opinion that the reintroduction of fees might mean that the universities wont be as totally broke as they currently are, and that long term the crazy cutbacks that they see everyday to the teaching budget will stop!

(I'm probably opening a can of worms here ha, but the cutbacks have most certainly effected the quality of the degrees handed out in my course!)

Advertisement