Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mart & slaughter tags

• 13-11-2011 6:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭

I have one cheviot X lamb bound for the abattoir. I only have the yellow mart tags. Will the mart tag do, or do I need slaughter tags, of which I have none.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭roosky

ya it will do fine!!!

the idea of a slaughter tag is a cheap short term tag that will do for a sheep destined for slaughter and not going to live for several years.....if the sheep was going to live the slaughter tag would not be sufficient

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Thanks Roosky, I figured as much but thought it's better to check rather than roll up to the abattoir and get told to turn around :D I knew the slaughter tags won't work the other way around ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭eorna

hi john, mart tags are good for slaughter to factory. Slaughter tags not ok for marts. That's my understanding anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

eorna wrote: »
    Slaughter tags not ok for marts.

Yes, that's true. Had a chat to an inspector about it a while back and he pointed out some wethers that had slaughter tags in them that wouldn't be allowed to be sold that day. Couldn't remember if I had asked him about mart tags for slaughtering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 98 ✭✭Highland

Rules are pretty straight forward

Slaughter tag ONLY suitable for lambs (under 12mths) going directly to slaughter from holding of origin
    Must tag all lambs at 9 months of age or sale which ever is sooner - mart tag of EID tag or EID set
    Once sheep are 12mths of age all sheep regardless of sex etc must be double tagged or have tag and bolus and at least one of the tag/bolus must be EID. The lads in Brussels have worked out that a sheep is 12mths when it has put up 2 permenant teeth.

Lots of variations around the country and lots of blind eyes being turned at the moment but them are the rules - for the moment anyway!

• Advertisement
Advertisement