Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elder Scrolls for a Newbie

• 13-11-2011 6:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭

I'm hearing a lot of good things about this new Skyrim game, and have seen some amazing screencaps from it.

Problem is... I've never played any Elder Scrolls game before. So I'm just wondering what you guys think I should play first, if anything, instead of just jumping into the latest game.

I have fairly decent laptop, capable of gaming, and an Xbox 360. I'm well versed on the laptop, but only just got the Xbox a few months back (first console in 7 years - I took a break from gaming altogether). Will one platform have less of a game than the other? Do I need to know the background story to enjoy these games? And general other ponderings.

Advise please?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

The beauty of the Elder Scrolls series is that you can jump into any title without having played the previous ones so theres no reason not to play Skyrim first.

The stories from previous games have little to do with Skyrim so you wont be lost. I'd recommend getting the PC version because there is a great modding community for the Elder Scrolls and i've found the games run a lot better on a PC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Notorioux

I've never played elder scrolls game too mate, but the Game is ****ing jizztastically amazing! Regret not playing the past games. :( It's definitely my favourite game this GEN. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,533 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

pick up Oblivion as it would be dirt cheap now and will keep you entertained for 100+ hours

XBOX360
    PC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭carlcon

Thanks guys. I'll see what offers Steam have, and maybe look around a few shops tomorrow.

*Edit*

Oh, thanks for the links. Can't argue with £9.99.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

carlcon wrote: »
    Thanks guys. I'll see what offers Steam have, and maybe look around a few shops tomorrow.

*Edit*

Oh, thanks for the links. Can't argue with £9.99.
    Be sure to pick up the DLC for it... except the Horse Armor that was lame.

• Advertisement

I just ordered Oblivion for my Xbox. Figured I don't have many games for it yet, so I'd give it a shot.

After I've played through a few times, I'll have a better idea of what format I want Skyrim in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭padz

if uve played any other bethesda games like fallout get skrim, im the same as you havent played any elder scrolls b4 but loved fallout3 and new vegas, this game is great apparently the game director wanted to make it like a halfway house between oblivion and fallout, i love it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,517 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

There is a few years reading here for you to get started. :D

Seriously though, the wiki is great for filling you in on the lore and the past events of other games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

You should consider playing Morrowind and Oblivion first. They're both great games and totally worth the effort, but if you play Skyrim first you'll sorely miss the best improvements that it brought to the series.

OK I've gone back as far as Morrowind with my orders. I figure 3, 4 and 5 should be enough for me. Thanks to the cool wiki posted above, I'll be able to catch up on the background of the first 2 just fine.

Thanks everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

You need a Dos Box to run the first two and they look terrible... I did like how villagers just burst into bloody messes in Daggerfell though :D

Is this true?

http://www.inquisitr.com/158853/psa-you-probably-shouldnt-install-skyrim-on-xbox-360/

I don't fancy playing if it means I have to listen to a hair-dryer while I play. I better get it for my laptop!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭papajimsmooth

You planning on playing the last 3 elder scolls games in a row. Lol cya in a few years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

carlcon wrote: »
    I just ordered Oblivion for my Xbox. Figured I don't have many games for it yet, so I'd give it a shot.

After I've played through a few times, I'll have a better idea of what format I want Skyrim in.

All i can is.If you don't like it at first.Your start of in a dungeon and i got the feeling it was a underground linear game for the whole thing.But keep playing.Once you get outside.Its....well you shall see ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Zillah wrote: »
    You should consider playing Morrowind and Oblivion first. They're both great games and totally worth the effort, but if you play Skyrim first you'll sorely miss the best improvements that it brought to the series.

Still think Oblivion was very plain vanilla, didnt really grip me. Presumably Morrowind has a ton of mods that will improve the eye candy

I was dreaming about using destruction magic last night..havent had game dreams since GTAIII or the early Battlefields

Advertisement