Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

liability of unmarried partners

Options
  • 13-11-2011 6:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

New to Boards but hope someone can help. My partner,to whom I am not married, is opening a retail business . We have a joint mortgage on our house. I will not be a director but will hold a minimum amount of shares. If my partner becomes liable under company rules eg for reckless trading will our house be at risk?
    Also when does the 1 directorship rule for private limited companies come into effect?

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭TheCostumeShop.ie: Ronan

No the house would not be at risk if it's your principle home.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭CompanyBureau

If you aren't a Director you aren't liable for anthing. Single director companies will be possible when the new companies bill is passed which will be 2014 by the look of things..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 jusdevin

Thanks for the replies. :confused::confused:Just to clarify, we are tenants in common. I have been told that if my partner is liable then the house could be sold and the proceeds divided to obtain what he owes. If we got married the fact that the house would be a family home wouldn't make any difference, any company debts would be paid off in the same way. Is this correct? I am getting conflicting advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Your home will not be at risk

• Company Representative Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭TheCostumeShop.ie: Ronan

To clarify, he could be liable to sell his assets, but you can't sell half a house unless he sells it to you (and you could value of the option to buy at a mere €1). Basically they can't touch your assets so your safe.

• Advertisement
Advertisement