If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sonos Like Controller/Amp

Options
  • 13-11-2011 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking for something like a sonos with 8 zones? Is this even possible??

Thanks
    Gary

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Dave

Hi Gary.

You can actually make a Sonos system up with 8 zones or there are other ways which would involve using other amplifiers just to power the speakers and mixing them with the Sonos zone players.

eg : Teac AG980 amplifier. This amplifier can run up to 4 pairs of speakers, but I would need to explain how this would integrate.

This would give you slightly less flexibility in terms of the music selection within the zones, but it would cost less.

If you want to give me a call to discuss, my number is 0044 333 900 0071.

Cheers

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭randombar

Hi Dave,

Well to explain what I have, I have a NAS in the utility room with left and right speaker cable for 8 zones so I was hoping to get a controller/amp in the utility room that I could control with an iPhone with 8 zones.

What I've seen so far:

Speakercraft MZC64/66
    Niles ZR6
    Nuvo Concerto

If you have any cheaper alternatives I'd love to hear them.

//Gary

Hi Gary.

Are you looking to have independent volume control and source selection for each zone ?

Also, do you just have speaker cables running back or do you have other cabling running to each room ?

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave,

It would be great to get independent volume control and source selection for each zone.

I only have speaker cables, I have cat 6 running back too but not to the same place.

Nice one,
    Gary

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Holla23

I'm no audiophile but researching something similar. I'd imagine connecting a ZP90 to an 8 zone amplifier should do the trick for you & then you just have to worry about controlling the amp from the zone. Some have remotes with them so might just need an extender to ensure it can be controlled from all zones. Haven't looked at any 8 zone amps though.

On my GF I have provisioned for ceiling speakers in the following areas study (2), kitchen (2), dining room (2), outside (2), living room (4) & sitting room (4). On the FF I have provisioned for ceiling speakers in the following areas Bedroom (2), Walk-in Wardrobe (1 stereo), En-suite (1 stereo) & bathroom (1 stereo). All the speaker cable is running back under the stairs while there is also a second run of speaker cable in the living & sitting rooms to the tv area (to connect to an AV receiver). I have alot of open spaces in my build so alot of areas are going to have the same output so this reduces my number of "zones". A the moment I'm looking at the following options with Sonos so just going to price up to see which ticks all the right boxes with the right price:
    1. On the GF to have 2 SONOS ZP90s with 1 connected to an AV receiver in the living room and one connected to a TEAC AG980 under the stairs to control the music in the kitchen, dining room & outside. This can be controlled remotely which will allow me to turn on/off the outside speaker whenever I want. No plans to have music in the study or sitting room at this time but the speakers are available and can add another zone player to the AV receiver in the sitting room in the future if required. In time I might get 1 PLAY:3 for the study so I can move this about the house and even bring it outside.

On the FF to have 1 SONOS ZP90 connected to a TEAC AG980 under the stairs to control the music in the master bedroom, walk-in wardrobe, en-suite & bathroom. This can be controlled remotely which will allow me to turn on/off the bathroom speaker whenever I want. Might need a PowerMid to ensure it can be controlled from upstairs.

This isn't too expensive but it means there are seperate controllers for the amp and for Sonos - but something I could probably live with! :D

2. Alternatively I could go with a ZP90 connected to a ZR6, which'll give me on/off, volume, and source selection over six zones (which I can handle remotely from anywhere in the house using a Logitech Harmony remote & wireless extender). To make the ZR6 cover all of the rooms in my set-up, I can connect the ensuite & walk-in wardrobe stereo-input speakers to the same zone output. Then via the remote, both rooms will respond to the same commands. If necessary, I could use an in-wall control in those rooms to provide individual control for each room but I'd prefer not to have in wall controls. With the Logitech Harmony Link I could then control this amp with my phone while also controlling the Sonos that way.

This is more expensive but it means no separate controllers for the amp and for Sonos & allows for source selection over six zones. Think it also has signal sensing inputs too which should mean it isn't always on. Would also need a ZP90 in the sittng room to connect into the AV receiver.

Guess you need to decide how much you are willing to pay & how is the system going to be used. Dave is the man to talk to if you need anymore info with using the AG980.

• Advertisement

With the second selection do you not have to have two separate controllers too? One for the Zp90 and another for the zr6? Two apps I guess but it still makes it a little confusion for the technophobes?

Wonder will Sonos ever do a multizone box? Suppose it goes against their sales plan?

Reckon I might get one sonos 120 and start there.

Another question, whats the best patch panel set up for the audio cables coming to the utility room, I guess I could connect direct but it's probably neater to use a patch panel?

With that setup you only have one controller (phone, tablet etc.) but 2 apps so might get a bit confusing. I'd imagine I'd have all the volumnes pre-set though so would only use the ZR6 app to turn on/off zones.

Doubt it as their system is more about audio distribution instead of aiudio centralisation. Marrying the ZP90 with the ZR6 should give you the best of both worlds without having to go to the next level.

Note that if you only have one Sonos ZP connected to the ZR6 you would hear the same song, playlist, channel, etc. in every room. To listen to different music in different rooms via Sonos, you'll need multiple zone players (which makes the 2 ZP90s with 2 TEAC AG980s idea more appealing from a cost perspective!). However, the ZR6 also has a dedicated connection for an iPod, so you could always use that as an audio source.

The beauty of Sonos though is you can buy one ZP now and add to it over time instead of shelling out for a full system and have zones that you may never use.

This is what I'm thinking if I get one Sonos to do maybe two zones initially ( A big step up from no zones :) ) and maybe add to it over time. All I'd have to get is the 120 and a few speakers. Hopefully I'd be able to get a 120 on ebay or something? Just have to work out the patch panel know and a bank to rob for all the money I need!!

That's the easiest option!

<Snip>

Problem is there is too much choice!!! End of the day the budget (or the wife) usually decides! :D

Hmmm, the nuvo p3100? How much does that cost and can it connect to a NAS and internet radio, not much detail in that doc and it's secure on their site??

EDIT: Looks like it connects to a NAS and radio all right, all comes down to the price I guess??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Mod Comment:

@Holla23,

Please take a moment to read the Charter (here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055564744 entitled "CHARTER - PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING" ) - I appreciate the helpful intent but queries in this forum are for Richersounds to deal with - feel free to visit the Home Entertainment Forums where discussion and advice of this kind is welcome.

II have snipped references to other products and external links in one of your posts but I'm not going to snip all your posts at this stage to allow the information you've posted remain for the OP, but please read and abide by the Charter for the forum.

Ritz.

:eek:

Apologies!

Hi guys.

There are lots of ways to do this but using 1 sonos zone and an 8 way amplifier would be quite restrictive in terms of volume unless the amp independent volume for each zone.

I did do a system for a customer recently using a couple of ZP90's with a combination of Teac AG980 amplifiers.

These are capable of running 4 pairs of speakers and 2 x ZP90's can be run into each amplifier to provide different inputs to the amplifier which can then be changed to ouput to all the speakers or any speakers within the 4 pairs can be switched on or off.

This worked well for the customer as he was happy it would do everything he needed it to, but it did take me a while to explain how things would work.

If you need any help, give me a call on 0044 333 900 0071.

Cheers

Dave

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.