Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Subtle abuse by youths on the street

• 13-11-2011 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

How does one deal with this?

I'm 19 and these guys, usually a group of approx 6 or more that went to the same school as myself keep giving me these sarcastic, ungenuine greetings (you can tell by the tone) when I walk down the street in my village at weekends. At first I was suspicious, yet gave them a polite hello or a salute back, but they seemed to find this hilarious so I stopped. Now I just ignore them, but they honk a car horn, throw small pebbles along the ground near me or some other sh!te.

They technically aren't breaking any laws, so any suggestions besides wearing my iPod to block out their voices when I go walking? Maybe some reading may consider it a small thing, but it makes me feel so uncomfortable.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

*cough* wanker *cough*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

Pick the weakest of the bunch and beat the living lord shíte out of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Ask them have they heard the good news, then invite them to a gospel tent meeting.

They'll stay well clear of you in future, guaranteed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Sound like right c*nts tbh.

If I see someone I know I'll say hi or give them a nod, I wouldn't have time for people who act like you described OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Take your iPod off, go over to them and strike up a conversation by offering them some Worthers Werthers Originals. Before long you will all become best of palls and be tagging fun pictures of yourselves of nights out on Facebook.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭christ on a bike!

I'd approach them, just ask "Have you got a f*ckin problem" and stare one of them down like you might kill him.
    It will suggest that maybe they shouldn't mess around with you

In seriousness though OP, this won't last long. You're 19 and they're the same age? They're just being immature as they have the mental age of a peanut.

But soon they'll be fully grown men and will have to stop hanging out the way they do and have to do other stuff, like queue in the post office for their dole and park their cars 3 streets away from their single mother girlfriends house so the state don't realise he's living there and she has her benefits taken away.

Or somrthing!

I'd approach them, just ask "Have you got a f*ckin problem" and stare one of them down like you might kill him.
    It will suggest that maybe they shouldn't mess around with you

yeah, 6 dudes messing with one guy....... they'll sh*t themselves if you stare at them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Godot. wrote: »

I'm 19 and these guys, usually a group of approx 6 or more that went to the same school as myself keep giving me these sarcastic, ungenuine greetings (you can tell by the tone) when I walk down the street in my village at weekends. At first I was suspicious, yet gave them a polite hello or a salute back, but they seemed to find this hilarious so I stopped. Now I just ignore them, but they honk a car horn, throw small pebbles along the ground near me or some other sh!te.

They technically aren't breaking any laws, so any suggestions besides wearing my iPod to block out their voices when I go walking? Maybe some reading may consider it a small thing, but it makes me feel so uncomfortable.

Do you see them by chance, or do they stand there waiting for Godot?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

MungBean wrote: »

To be fair that is just going to lead to escalation...if you are going to go that route OP, get a costume, wait until it's dark and then sneak up on them and start swinging like crazy. Most of them will be scared sh*tless and will probably take off running before they realize what is happening.

However if they realize it's you, I am not going to lie they will beat the sh*t out of you, my only suggestion then would be to grab an orphan from the local orphanage and see if you fair out any better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

To be honest id get the oul lad out and blast them with urine

MrStuffins wrote: »
    yeah, 6 dudes messing with one guy....... they'll sh*t themselves if you stare at them!

Obviously wont **** themselves but they'll see he's not a pushover. In a lot of ways it's still an animal kingdon out there, a bit of posturing and making the right noises can get you a little respect on that base level
    I'm not a big lad but I guarantee you that you wouldn't f*ck with me ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

brummytom wrote: »

Get out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

Now I just ignore them, but they honk a car horn, throw small pebbles along the ground near me or some other sh!te.

cars are vulnerable when they are parked up at 4am ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

Wrong. Pick the biggest loudmouth and using the heel of your hand, punch his nose into his brain.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Godot.

I would feel like a complete knacker if I resorted to that sort of scum level. Plus, knowing my luck, a Garda would probably come along lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

OP dye your hair, your obviously a ginger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

Obviously wont **** themselves but they'll see he's not a pushover. In a lot of ways it's still an animal kingdon out there, a bit of posturing and making the right noises can get you a little respect on that base level

Small man syndrome ha ha

I guarentee if i was standing with 5 of my buddies and you came over staring at us and trying to show us how you're hard we'd be more than happy to f*ck with you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭fat__tony

Ill bet all six of them are unemployed, uneducated wasters as well.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    To be fair that is just going to lead to escalation...if you are going to go that route OP, get a costume, wait until it's dark and then sneak up on them and start swinging like crazy. Most of them will be scared sh*tless and will probably take off running before they realize what is happening.

However if they realize it's you, I am not going to lie they will beat the sh*t out of you, my only suggestion then would be to grab an orphan from the local orphanage and see if you fair out any better.

Nah if they were violent they would be trying to start a row instead of just tormenting him. They are just assholes. I've seen if before with a group hasslin one person, if they lay into them and show that any hassle will lead to a violent altercation they will back off. You meet any one ore two of them on their own and they wont say or do anything.

They are all afraid of altercation, but it doesnt stop them being assholes when in a big group. Plus if ya do get the shíte kicked out of ya you have something to go to the police about. 6 on 1 and you cant come out of it lookin like the culprit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

Sorry to hear of your situation pal.

The only advice I could give is the following, although I'm not sure if it will help; it could either sort it out in a flash or make it worse for you - grab one of them (the weakest one) and kick the ****ing bollox out of him. That should sort things out, it usually works.

I would feel like a complete knacker if I resorted to that sort of scum level. Plus, knowing my luck, a Garda would probably come along lol.

Dude, don't be listening to these clowns. You don't wanna be going into a group of lads looking for a fight. The goons suggesting this would do nothing of the sort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Dotrel

fat__tony wrote: »

I dunno. Sounds more like the behaviour of young professionals to me.

Nah if they were violent they would be trying to start a row instead of just tormenting him. They are just assholes. I've seen if before with a group hasslin one person, if they lay into them and show that any hassle will lead to a violent altercation they will back off. You meet any one ore two of them on their own and they wont say or do anything.

They are all afraid of altercation, but it doesnt stop them being assholes when in a big group. Plus if ya do get the shíte kicked out of ya you have something to go to the police about. 6 on 1 and you cant come out of it lookin like the culprit.

You really have no idea what you're talking about do you? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

fat__tony wrote: »

Because they're black is it?? You f**king racist !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭pacquiao

You need to relate to them somehow.

Dude, don't be listening to these clowns. You don't wanna be going into a group of lads looking for a fight. The goons suggesting this would do nothing of the sort.

So what, walk around like a victim?
    It's a sad fact you got to stand up for yourself at times, and if you get a few slaps then you get a few slaps. Happens most lads at some stage

• Advertisement

pacquiao wrote: »
    You need to relate to them somehow.

Don't get into a fight with THIS poster!

Even if you win those watching will give the victory to him! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

How does one deal with this? .

31 posts and nobody has suggested blasting them with piss ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mackeire

would you not walk up to them with 6 of your mates and see how hard they are then?

You really have no idea what you're talking about do you? :rolleyes:

Just accept the abuse and hope they get tired of humiliating him then ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

It's worth a try. A lot of these 'gangs' back each other up with talk but when confronted you see what they're really made of. Me and my mate were being hassled by five travelling lads one day, we just ignored them and kept walking. Then one got brave and threw a punch at my friend. My mate got him on the ground and hammered the sh*t out of him. His mates scattered! Never seen such a display of cowardice in my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭ellinguistico

brummytom wrote: »

Outstanding internet usage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Awh man I'm in my early 20's I use to worry about kids shouting at me but I don't care now, bit worried someone is going to rob me, I just look like a bit of a weirdo and I'm always on my own.

Was out in Dundrum the other week just dyed my hair Violet, love it. Some jung one says "nice hair" and they laugh I spin round on my heal start striding up towards them was about to shout OR YA GONNA SAY THAT TO MY FACE OR KEEP WALKIN

But then I realised they are basically children and I am better than that.

But I do find it hard to see the fine line between standing up for yourself and looking for trouble. I would tell someone to fúck off or throw them a dig if they were constantly giving me hassle they might stay away or get their cousins after you, tricky situation.

So maybe the best thing you can do is really act like you don't care. What are they saying? or what do they think you're insecure about, do you know any of their names?
    They're just looking for a laugh and they're getting what they want from you as they've keep doing it, sorry you have to put up with this I would struggle to know what to do as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

Don't reply, just smile, laugh and shake your head a bit. The smile and shake that signals that you know that they're scrotes and that you find it amusing that they haven't come to that realisation themselves.

Unless your ginger, if you're ginger then this sh1t is going to happen to you all your life.

So what, walk around like a victim?
    It's a sad fact you got to stand up for yourself at times, and if you get a few slaps then you get a few slaps. Happens most lads at some stage

You don't live in the real world my friend.

if he went into a group of lads looking for a fight he'd end up "the victim". The OP isn't a 10 year old, he's a grown man talking about other men trying to intimidate him.

If he tries to fight them then he better PRAY that these lads are hard men. That these lads are the types of lads who will stand and fight.

Because if they're not they'll be the type of lads who will carry a blade and win that way!

Honestly, where are all you goons from?

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Godot.

I guarentee if i was standing with 5 of my buddies and you came over staring at us and trying to show us how you're hard we'd be more than happy to f*ck with you!

I'm sure I could find one of them isolated one day if I tried hard enough, but like I said, I'd feel like scum for battering someone. And maybe person x or y might get revenge on me x10 when he's with his little gang again.

So basically all I can do is hope they grow up? Can't see any other viable alternative tbh.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Mike 1972 wrote: »

Au contraire!! :pac:
    John Doe1 wrote: »
    To be honest id get the oul lad out and blast them with urine

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Read post number 13 again.

Godot, ignore them. They're being idiots. In a couple of years they'll cringe every time they see you because they'll remember what gobsh*tes they were.

I'm sure it gives them a great laugh when the kick a little pebble at you and makes them feel dead hard and all, but yeah, they're just idiots.

I'm sure I could find one of them isolated one day if I tried hard enough, but like I said, I'd feel like scum for battering someone. And maybe person x or y might get revenge on me x10 when he's with his little gang again.

So basically all I can do is hope they grow up? Can't see any other viable alternative tbh.

Dude, if you find one of them isolated one day and beat the sh*t out of him, you'll end up on the wrong side of a 6 on 1 beat down!

The other posters are just engaging in typical internet warriordom! Acting like they're hard and they'd beat up 6 guys when honestly they're just living out silly fantasies!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Maybe slowly but surely it is catching on that this tired, hackneyed meme really isn't all that funny anymore. In every thread.

Edit: nope, nope. It's still there, hanging around like a stale smell.

If you dont want to get hassled do something about it. Its as simple as that. You can listen to MrStuffins and accept that your a victim and you'll always be a victim as you are incapable of taking a stand or you can man the fcuk up and deal with your problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

If i was you I would ignore it and bask in the fact you are not them and will not live a life of the dole, future alcoholism and ignorance

You don't live in the real world my friend.

if he went into a group of lads looking for a fight he'd end up "the victim". The OP isn't a 10 year old, he's a grown man talking about other men trying to intimidate him.

If he tries to fight them then he better PRAY that these lads are hard men. That these lads are the types of lads who will stand and fight.

Because if they're not they'll be the type of lads who will carry a blade and win that way!

Honestly, where are all you goons from?

You see I was just gonna say that we disagree and wont change each others mind and then you go being a d1ck :rolleyes:
    And don't worry about me my good friend, I do live in the real world and have been all over it

All you have suggested is that he doesn't go near the lads because he'll get battered. Your solution is to take abuse day after day

Where are all the real men gone?

If you dont want to get hassled do something about it. Its as simple as that. You can listen to MrStuffins and accept that your a victim and you'll always be a victim as you are incapable of taking a stand or you can man the fcuk up and deal with your problem.

Always be the victim?

No he won't! because he won't have to put up with sh*t like this for much longer, he's almost in his 20s for God sake. This stuff stops happening when people grow up you know.

Are you 15?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

OP they just sound like a bunch of simple tits. If they start getting serious with you nip it in the bud fast though. Get a few mates or family and give em a hiding.

Always be the victim?

No he won't! because he won't have to put up with sh*t like this for much longer, he's almost in his 20s for God sake. This stuff stops happening when people grow up you know.

Are you 15?

Are you 15?
    Your advice is to walk away from the problem instead of addressing it. Great way to go through life...

Always be the victim?

Are you 15?

He's an adult and he's being bullied by other adults while walking down the street. 19/20/30 its all adulthood. If he cant stop someone hasslin him now how will he do it next year if someone decides to fill their time by tormenting him.

This isnt the school yard any more and you cant go running to the principle, he has to man up and sort his own problems.

Or according to you keep his head down and hope it all goes away. Are you 12 ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement