Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Subtle abuse by youths on the street

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I'm not a big lad but I guarantee you that you wouldn't f*ck with me ;)

Small penis size can have an admittedly devestating effect of one's sex life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Honestly, where are all you goons from?
    Nonsense of the highest order! If these guys wanted to punch, knife or glass him they would have done it. They're the textbook definition of mob culture. All slapping each others backs for the best insult.

Personally I'd have no problem nipping this issue in the bud whether it brought the hiding on quicker or more possibly show them up for what they really are. A collective group of self elevating cowards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

You see I was just gonna say that we disagree and wont change each others mind and then you go being a d1ck :rolleyes:

How was I being a dick? it was a question.

Personal abuse is against the charter by the way.
    All you have suggested is that he doesn't go near the lads because he'll get battered. Your solution is to take abuse day after day

Nope, my solution is not to rise to these guys who are obviously looking for trouble. Your suggestion is he act like Bruce Lee and take on 6 guys in the hope they'll see he can swing a dig (by the way, we have no idea if this guy has ever been in a fight before in his life) and run away.
    Your suggestion is retarded at best.
    Where are all the real men gone?

REAL men? lol!

A real man will never have to use his fists in his entire life. Fighting has no bearing on whether you're a "real" man or not. You're showing yourself up here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

+1 to the not-fighting-them side.

Don't start a fight with them, they're clearly just idiots who think they're hilarious. Think of how ridiculous they actually are: "Hahaha we said hi to him! And threw pebbles in his direction!". They probably have nothing better to do, just ignore them or laugh at them. They'll get bored soon enough.

Are you 15?
    Your advice is to walk away from the problem instead of addressing it. Great way to go through life...

Addressing it? Addressing it is to fight the guys? Are you for real?

Sometimes walking away is the smart thing to do. Stop acting like you're some sort of hard man it's embarrassing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

The best revenge is to live a good life.

Or else just laugh at them and ask them how their Mas are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

How was I being a dick? it was a question.

Personal abuse is against the charter by the way.

So is being a dick.

A real man will never have to use his fists in his entire life. Fighting has no bearing on whether you're a "real" man or not. You're showing yourself up here!
    No it doesn't make you a real man, but if you honestly believe that a person can make it through life without ever having to resort to physicality then you're either seriously deluded or you were raised wrapped in cotton wool.

MungBean wrote: »
    He's an adult and he's being bullied by other adults while walking down the street. 19/20/30 its all adulthood.

Wow! Right, so you think a 19 year old is the same as a 30 year old.

Incredible!
    This isnt the school yard any more and you cant go running to the principle, he has to man up and sort his own problems.

Yeah you're right, he should man up and fight 6 guys at one! Nice advice there Van Damme!
    Or according to you keep his head down and hope it all goes away. Are you 12 ?

No, i'm 27. I'm an adult man who sorts out his problems not by using his fists but by being a reasonable adult and knowing when it's a good idea to sort out a problem like an adult (a lot) and when it's a good idea to take on 6 guys at once (never).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭christ on a bike!

Sometimes walking away is the smart thing to do. Stop acting like you're some sort of hard man it's embarrassing!

Where did I say he should fight them? I said he should address them and ask them what there problem is, if he gets slaps then he gets slaps. Thats life
    Might earn himself some respect though

Not a hard man at all, just dont get pushed around. Thats not being a hard man, that's being a self respecting man

And your being very condescending, acting a bit hard yourself

And you're right about walking away being the right thing to do at times. But this fella has a problem, day ater day. Needs to be addressed. This is ABC stuff

So is being a dick.

If my arguments are too much for you, you're free to address them.

But you are really showing your immaturity (and therefore the immaturity of your idea to fight 6 guys) by throwing abuse at a guy on the internet you've never met.

Congratulations!

You stand up for yourself ffs. If that leads to a fight then it leads to a fight but fear of getting a hiding shouldnt be enough to force you to endure hassle.

No, i'm 27. I'm an adult man who sorts out his problems not by using his fists but by being a reasonable adult and knowing when it's a good idea to sort out a problem like an adult (a lot) and when it's a good idea to take on 6 guys at once (never).
    When dealing with people you only have 50% control over what happens so that point is nonsense.

MyKeyG wrote: »
    Nonsense of the highest order! If these guys wanted to punch, knife or glass him they would have done it.

Oh dear lord!

If my arguments are too much for you, you're free to address them.

But you are really showing your immaturity (and therefore the immaturity of your idea to fight 6 guys) by throwing abuse at a guy on the internet you've never met.

Congratulations!

Guy said you were being a dick and you cried victim and pointed to the charter. I was merely informing you that being a dick is against the charter too. Its not abuse. Ya see OP... you'll always be the victim :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Oh dear lord!
    Very competent informative response:rolleyes:

No it doesn't make you a real man, but if you honestly believe that a person can make it through life without ever having to resort to physicality then you're either seriously deluded or you were raised wrapped in cotton wool.

Lad, I haven't been in a fight outside of a martial arts gym since I was 14 years old in school. I live in one of the roughest parts of Dublin. I've lived in different parts of the world. I've never had to actually throw a punch at ANYONE as an adult. I'm pretty much alive.

Compare that to my best mate who 3 years ago got started on by 3 guys in Dublin City Centre, decided that onstead of walking away, which would be the smart thing to do, he would turn and stand up to them.

A knife in the stomach told him THAT was a bad idea!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

:pac: They're clearly a bit soft in the head if they find it hilarious to say hello to someone they know. Mental capacity of a slice of toast, evidently.

There's nothing you can really do in that situation btw. Just say "Hi" back and wave, like it's a totally normal thing to do. You know, cause it is. They gotta learn to use their words eventually after all :pac:

Where did I say he should fight them? I said he should address them and ask them what there problem is, if he gets slaps then he gets slaps.

:rolleyes:
    And your being very condescending, acting a bit hard yourself

I'm sorry if you feel belittled by my opinions and my style of delivering them. But that's a shortcoming on your part i'm afraid.
    And you're right about walking away being the right thing to do at times. But this fella has a problem, day ater day. Needs to be addressed. This is ABC stuff

Yeah and if he took your advice he'd "get slaps" as you've already admitted. Solves his problem does it?

jaysus!

Guy said you were being a dick and you cried victim and pointed to the charter. I was merely informing you that being a dick is against the charter too. Its not abuse. Ya see OP... you'll always be the victim :rolleyes:

Being a dick is a matter of opinion.

The poster's calling me a dick was a matter of FACT personal abuse.

You don't see the difference, but i'm not suprised.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Sounds like the classic done to death gang mentality. little 'mafia' as they probs refer to emselves its them against the world. of course the bigger it is the less individual capability they possess; the older they get they will find they are most certainly not family let alone friends.

It's funny more than one siezing any opportunity to harrass folks on their own because since I was like 10 I always made a point of considering the lone stranger on the street when I have pals around and ensuring never to do that, because I like they know it will play on that lone persons mind. isolation compounds it.. Just a measure of the type of people we're dealing with

Lad, I haven't been in a fight outside of a martial arts gym since I was 14 years old in school. I live in one of the roughest parts of Dublin. I've lived in different parts of the world. I've never had to actually throw a punch at ANYONE as an adult. I'm pretty much alive.

Compare that to my best mate who 3 years ago got started on by 3 guys in Dublin City Centre, decided that onstead of walking away, which would be the smart thing to do, he would turn and stand up to them.

A knife in the stomach told him THAT was a bad idea!
    Well 'Lad' in my experience if someone has violence on their mind they're going to act on it. If the OP lets this slide the individuals in question will get more and more abusive.

Yes it will end eventually but at what cost? Low self esteem? Depression? Anxiety disorder? Ever suffered from any of those? I do and all because I let people knock me about before I'd had enough.

So open your mind to all the possible results in the situation before you start flapping your gums and pushing your condescending authority.

Why are you not surprised ? I havent insulted you I have only responded to your posts, why are you getting personal ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Don't play the victim, you started it by calling people goons.

Well 'Lad' in my experience if someone has violence on their mind they're going to act on it. If the OP lets this slide the individuals in question will get more and more abusive.

You're making the massive mistake of trying to back up your opinions by trying to frame what might happen as what will happen.

You don't know if they will get more abusive. But I tell you what, if he went to them looking for a fight there is very very probable that he will get the fight and lose. Lose badly. And then when he does, you think that'll be it? You think that will stop the abuse?
    Yes it will end eventually but at what cost? Low self esteem? Depression? Anxiety disorder? Ever suffered from any of those? I do and all because I let people knock me about before I'd had enough.

I'm sorry to hear your story OP but it doesn ot change the fact that getting into a fight with 6 guys is a bad idea. THis faux hard man act is tiresome!
    So open your mind to all the possible results in the situation before you start flapping your gums and pushing your condescending authority.

I know the possible results. I'm not concerned with what's possible. I'm concerned with what is probable.

The other poster even said he'd get "the slaps" and still thinks that's a good idea. Amazing!

Don't play the victim, you started it by calling people goons.

Perhaps I did.

Personal abuse it is not though.

But I see your point Ulises Mysterious Below.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Perhaps I did.

Personal abuse it is not though.
    That's pathetic behaviour in fairness. Personally abusing people (goon is personal abuse), causing a stink when it's returned and trying to lawyer your way out of it when's it's called out. It does nothing for your argument.

That's pathetic behaviour in fairness. Personally abusing people (goon is personal abuse), causing a stink when it's returned and trying to lawyer your way out of it when's it's called out. It does nothing for your argument.

Fair enough. If that's how you view it.

My points still stand though. Chosing to get into a 6 on 1 fight is a ridiculously bad idea.

Fair enough. If that's how you view it.

My points still stand though. Chosing to get into a 6 on 1 fight is a ridiculously bad idea.

Its not about choosing to get into a 6 on 1 fight. Its about standing up for yourself.

Its not about choosing to get into a 6 on 1 fight. Its about standing up for yourself.

There are times to do that and times not to.

There are ways to do that and ways not to.

Walking up to them so they can give you "the slaps" is not the way to stand up for yourself.

• Advertisement

You're making the massive mistake of trying to back up your opinions by trying to frame what might happen as what will happen.

You don't know if they will get more abusive. But I tell you what, if he went to them looking for a fight there is very very probable that he will get the fight and lose. Lose badly. And then when he does, you think that'll be it? You think that will stop the abuse?

I'm sorry to hear your story OP but it doesn ot change the fact that getting into a fight with 6 guys is a bad idea. THis faux hard man act is tiresome!

I know the possible results. I'm not concerned with what's possible. I'm concerned with what is probable.

The other poster even said he'd get "the slaps" and still thinks that's a good idea. Amazing!
    Hold on a second. First I'm not talking 'hard man' I'm talking about nipping something in the bud. Second you're dealing in probability as well. You don't know any better than me what will happen. In your neck of the woods it might end in a vicious fight, in mine it's highly doubtful. We both have story's that illustrate our relative opinions. Do I doubt that it will end in tears? No I don't, I'd like to think I'm not so narrow minded but all I know is if I had it all back I'd do exactly as I'm suggesting now, bruises or not.

Your sympathy is genuinely appreciated.

Hold on a second. First I'm not talking 'hard man' I'm talking about nipping something in the bud. Second you're dealing in probability as well. You don't know any better than me what will happen. In your neck of the woods it might end in a vicious fight, in mine it's highly doubtful. We both have story's that illustrate our relative opinions. Do I doubt that it will end in tears? No I don't, I'd like to think I'm not so narrow minded but all I know is if I had it all back I'd do exactly as I'm suggesting now, bruises or not.

Your sympathy is genuinely appreciated.

Well as I said, it's very PROBABLE that if he went looking for a fight he would get one, I know you'd agree with me here.

Too much of the time people presume just because people can be bullies in a group that they have the cliché bully group mentality and they'd back down when confronted. It's a fatal error to do this! A lot of the time thiese guys will be more than happy to take you on, when alone OR when in the group.

And if you win when they're on their own, chances are they won't like that too much and let you away with it when back in the group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Dude, don't be listening to these clowns. You don't wanna be going into a group of lads looking for a fight. The goons suggesting this would do nothing of the sort.
    You don't live in the real world my friend.

if he went into a group of lads looking for a fight he'd end up "the victim". The OP isn't a 10 year old, he's a grown man talking about other men trying to intimidate him.

If he tries to fight them then he better PRAY that these lads are hard men. That these lads are the types of lads who will stand and fight.

Because if they're not they'll be the type of lads who will carry a blade and win that way!

Honestly, where are all you goons from?

Who are theses goons and clowns you speak of?

super-rush wrote: »
    Who are theses goons and clows you speak of?

The goons were those who were suggesting to the OP that he should commit violence on these people who he feels intimidated by. I would find such behaviour (the violence) thuggish and goonish and would find the suggestion and encouragement of violence on others like this to be goonish too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

The goons were those who were suggesting to the OP that he should commit violence on these people who he feels intimidated by. I would find such behaviour (the violence) thuggish and goonish and would find the suggestion and encouragement of violence on others like this to be goonish too.

You're attacking the poster, not the post.

Quit it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭kaymin

My advice would be to go up to them, look them in the eye and ask them what's up?, in a friendly kinda way. Don't betray any sense of intimidation / fear and don't give any hint that you're looking for a fight. If they answer nothing, then I'd ask them why they're kicking stones towards you etc. Simple straightforward questions that will have them wondering at their own stupidity. I'd bet they'll be a little embarrassed / dumb struck and won't bother you again.

On the otherhand, if they're the sort that get into fights then I'd just ignore them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 257 ✭✭paulosham

Pick the weakest of the bunch and beat the living lord shíte out of him.

That's the worst thing to do. Pick the biggest or the leader.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Why would you even care about such a thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

John Doe1 wrote: »
    To be honest id get the oul lad out and blast them with urine

The problem is, they sound like the kind of perverts that might enjoy it.:):):)

My suggestion is that you get a digital camera and take a video of them. Then put it up up on YouTube with a title along the lines of "What sheer boredom can drive ignorant yokels to ...":rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Alter-Ego wrote: »
    Don't reply, just smile, laugh and shake your head a bit. The smile and shake that signals that you know that they're scrotes and that you find it amusing that they haven't come to that realisation themselves.
    What world do you live in that you think the scum would even notice/care about that?

All you have suggested is that he doesn't go near the lads because he'll get battered. Your solution is to take abuse day after day

Where are all the real men gone?

Agree with this, no point taking abuse day by day. What does that benefit you? Low self esteem and a fear of walking by this group? Will benefit him nothing. Cross the road every time he sees him? In fear of what might happen? Bollíx imo.
    Always be the victim?

No he won't! because he won't have to put up with sh*t like this for much longer, he's almost in his 20s for God sake. This stuff stops happening when people grow up you know.

Are you 15?

Age doesn't matter when it comes to bullying. You must be from a reasonable area to not notice that people in there 20s or so are still acting like this. I live in a what would be considered dodgy area and there's people in there 20s still acting like that. So to say that they'll grow up soon is wishful.

Even if they grow up in 3-4 years, that's 3-4 years the OP will have to put up with it until he moves.

OP, I reckon you stand your ground, I'm not saying to go look for a fight with them, but if they say something ,say something back. If they throw something throw something back.

I'm pretty sure most men have taking beatens in their time and tbh I'm grateful I got mine as it made me realize I'm not gonna crack at one punch when I get hit, adrenaline is a strong thing mate!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

OP, over the years I have perfected a "look" that can cut people quickly. It's non verbal, non threatening but works surprisingly well. The look is one of bemused condescension, coupled with a patronising smile and a raised eyebrow. It says "you're a complete and utter dick" without you having to say a word. Can be very effective and lessens the chance of any confrontation.

Good luck with them. Just remember, this shit passes in a few years. It's annoying now, but it's not a reflection on you in any way, and won't matter a jot to you when you get a bit older. Don't let it knock your confidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭UnawareCaesar

OP, my advice would be head for Japan, learn some martial arts, get a nice Samurai sword and proceed to kill the lads off one by one over the course of two volumes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭Bigtoe107

brummytom wrote: »
    Do you see them by chance, or do they stand there waiting for Godot?

I logged in just to thank this :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭bayern282

Godot. wrote: »
    How does one deal with this?

I'm 19 and these guys, usually a group of approx 6 or more that went to the same school as myself keep giving me these sarcastic, ungenuine greetings (you can tell by the tone) when I walk down the street in my village at weekends. At first I was suspicious, yet gave them a polite hello or a salute back, but they seemed to find this hilarious so I stopped. Now I just ignore them, but they honk a car horn, throw small pebbles along the ground near me or some other sh!te.

They technically aren't breaking any laws, so any suggestions besides wearing my iPod to block out their voices when I go walking? Maybe some reading may consider it a small thing, but it makes me feel so uncomfortable.

welcome to the pleasuredome son, only another 65 years of this ****e to get through!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

OP, ignore the internet warriors. This situation, while very unpleasant, doesn't warrant violence. That would only make things much worse and see you on the end of a six-on-one beating.

The worst thing about that would be the lads would justify that by saying they'd never hit you and that you had started on them.

I think the best thing to do would be to say "How's it going?" in the most casual possible way and carry on like you'd barely noticed them.
    There wouldn't be much they could say to that and they'd probably get bored of targetting you.

If they did respond to that somehow, I'd try just ignoring them. It might not work at first, but these guys seem very childish, and if they're not getting any reaction from you they'll probably get bored and give up.

I doubt this situation will require you to resort to violence.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭bayern282

Another thing about these situations is that the perpetrators are usually never on their own and if you did give one of them a slap and the others bottled it, there's always the risk of them calling back up on their mobiles like the brave lads they are.

Those two Polish guys who were murdered by that goofball with the screwdriver stupidly let their pride get the better of them by going back to a spot where they were getting a bit of minor grief they could have let go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Lippy kids on the corner again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

OP, just keep saying hello when they greet you, and keep walking. So what if they find this hilarious, you're being polite, they're the ones with the mental malfunction that makes a simple greeting so hilarious. I really can't understand behaviour like that 'Oh, here comes John! I'm going to say hello to him, but in a tone of voice that makes it obvious that I don't really mean it. It'll be hilarious!' Fupping retards.

Other than that, I really like the suggestion of asking them if they've accepted Jesus Christ as their own personal saviour. Either they'll beat the snot out of you or they'll steer clear in future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Next time it happens.

Just go up and shake hands with everyone. Everytime.

Saying "Hi there lads, how's it going, are ye well lads, lovely day what?, sure isn't it awful altogether" over and over.

If you do this everytime, you will be annoying.

And 'pack hunters' hate to be annoyed.

No violence. But you are conditioning them to avoid experiencing you again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

Let me get this straight, they say "hi" to you sarcastically and/or kick a pebble across the road at you?

Man - this is stupid petty stuff which shouldn't even be affecting you. These guys sound like harmless idiots in fairness. If I were you I would just ignore them, they will get bored. They are looking for a reaction, if you don't give it to them they will give up and go find some other stupid inane thing to do to occupy their limited brain cells.

Edit: Was actually also going to suggest what foxyboxer said above. To engage them in conversation as if nothing was up, they will feel awkward and stupid and won't want it to happen again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement