Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Subtle abuse by youths on the street

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

Millicent wrote: »
    OP, over the years I have perfected a "look" that can cut people quickly. It's non verbal, non threatening but works surprisingly well. The look is one of bemused condescension, coupled with a patronising smile and a raised eyebrow. It says "you're a complete and utter di[COLOR="Black"]c[/COLOR]k" without you having to say a word. Can be very effective and lessens the chance of any confrontation.

Good luck with them. Just remember, this s[COLOR="black"]hi[/COLOR]t passes in a few years. It's annoying now, but it's not a reflection on you in any way, and won't matter a jot to you when you get a bit older. Don't let it knock your confidence.

This is what I've always done. It's a "Your blatant stupidity amuses me, and I know exactly what you are" kind of look. You'd be surprised how effective a look can be.

I really feel for you OP but have to ask, are there any rumours circulating your village about you at the moment? It's just that nineteen seems to be a little old to be carrying on like that all of a sudden, especially since they're the same age as you and you actually know them/would have went to school with them, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

MungBean wrote: »
    Pick the weakest of the bunch and beat the living lord shíte out of him.

Note to OP: The weakest one usually has a neon sign over his head saying WEAKEST. Just so you don't get the wrong one.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Shiner11

Godot. wrote: »
    How does one deal with this?

I'm 19 and these guys, usually a group of approx 6 or more that went to the same school as myself keep giving me these sarcastic, ungenuine greetings (you can tell by the tone) when I walk down the street in my village at weekends.

Are you the only gay in the village? This may be why they give u such abuse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

I'm 19 and these guys, usually a group of approx 6 or more that went to the same school as myself keep giving me these sarcastic, ungenuine greetings (you can tell by the tone) when I walk down the street in my village at weekends. At first I was suspicious, yet gave them a polite hello or a salute back, but they seemed to find this hilarious so I stopped. Now I just ignore them, but they honk a car horn, throw small pebbles along the ground near me or some other sh!te.

They technically aren't breaking any laws, so any suggestions besides wearing my iPod to block out their voices when I go walking? Maybe some reading may consider it a small thing, but it makes me feel so uncomfortable.

i went through a similar situation and frankly i found myself at an alimatum, either take one of the lads cars, put it through the front door of their house then kick the ****e out of them OR be a humble c*nt until it goes away or i rocky balboa their arses.

option two happened and i hockied them out of it as some might say. Seriously, if you going to be a scumbag, have some sort of formal talent or skill at being a pee-rick, otherwise you're just wasting everyones time with the power of assumption.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Use this guy as your motivation

http://lobshots.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/groundhog-day-ps02.jpg

:D

"Am I right or am I right or am I right...right?!!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Galtee

MungBean wrote: »
    Pick the weakest of the bunch and beat the living lord shíte out of him.

The weakest? That won't work. What you need to do is wait till you have a good opportunity, ie make sure you find them on their own and then pick the strongest of the bunch and administer said beating. And if that doesn't do the trick, keep doing it picking one of the group at a time until it the coin finally drops. If you wanted, after a while you could give them all numbers and roll a dice (given that there's six of them) to help you decide which one to tackle on any given day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

Galtee wrote: »
    The weakest? That won't work. What you need to do is wait till you have a good opportunity, ie make sure you find them on their own and then pick the strongest of the bunch and administer said beating. And if that doesn't do the trick, keep doing it picking one of the group at a time until it the coin finally drops. If you wanted, after a while you could give them all numbers and roll a dice (given that there's six of them) to help you decide which one to tackle on any given day.

?????

I wouldnt advise an alteration OP. You could get properly battered or even stabbed. Based on what the OP has said there is nothing to suggest that he should risk taking on 6 guys. More internet posturing from people on this site.
    Will the above poster or any of the others visit him in hospital or go to his funeral? Beat up the weakest? It isnt West Side Story. The other 5 wont dance in the background while you fight. All it would do is increase the kicking administered.

Ps someone referred to those urging you to wade in as "goons". Completely correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Craven99

In reading all these posts about fighting or having a go I would like to relate my (painful) personal experience. It was the year after I had left school and had not yet started college. I was 19. It felt like I was putting part of my life behind me and a brand new part was about to start. It led me towards introspection. I would walk on the beach every morning, write down my inner most thought and desires and speculate about the future. Anything and everything was possible. It was a time I was discovering that I was not as bad as I thought I was, maybe, just maybe I was an ok person and worthy of some love and respect. I was starting to come to terms with my inner anger and trying to sublimate it.
    One spot which helped with this was on the cliffs just at the end of the beach. I'd sit there for hours, lost in the majecty and power of the sea. The sound of the waves crashing of the rocks was soothing to my soul. I was so lost in my own deep contemplations that I would forget to go eat. In fact so lost was I at this time that I did not even hear the 2 young guys who came up behind me and pushed me off the cliff. Now the cliff angled down just where I was so it was not as big or dangerous a fall as you would think. But all the same I was scratched badly and I believe in a bit of shock. I crawled back up towards the top of the cliff, all the while hearing the mocking laughing of the guys who had pushed me. As I reached the top I simply saw red. It was like a red mist descended over my vision and I remember nothing until waking up in my bed back in the house. I learned later that I had broken one guys nose and broke the other guys arm. I had held one of them over the cliff by the throat and threatened to throw him off.
    My parents arrived later that day and my mom got scared, and said, 'You're movin' with your auntie and uncle in Bel-Air.' I whistled for a cab and when it came near The license plate said fresh and it had dice in the mirror. If anything I could say that this cab was rare, but I thought, 'Nah, forget it. Yo, holmes to Bel-Air!' I pulled up to the house about 7 or 8 and I yelled to the cabbie, 'Yo homes smell ya later!' Looked at my kingdom I was finally there, to sit on my throne as the prince of Bel-Air.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Statistician

You don't have to fight anyone, just make them think that you can beat them up. With street fighting, it's best not to get into a street fight.

Far better to approach one of them and have a chat. Approach them sideways when they are on their own, and tell them that you'll 'kick the fúcking shít out of them' or words to that effect.

or tell them that you fancy them, and do they fancy a quick bum.

• Advertisement

?????

I wouldnt advise an alteration OP. You could get properly battered or even stabbed. Based on what the OP has said there is nothing to suggest that he should risk taking on 6 guys. More internet posturing from people on this site.
    Will the above poster or any of the others visit him in hospital or go to his funeral? Beat up the weakest? It isnt West Side Story. The other 5 wont dance in the background while you fight. All it would do is increase the kicking administered.

Ps someone referred to those urging you to wade in as "goons". Completely correct.

Maybe you'd suggest he ask them to hem his trousers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Craven99 wrote: »
    In reading all these posts about fighting or having a go I would like to relate my (painful) personal experience.....

Welcome to the internet, your Meme is about 10 years out of date.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Craven99

Hobbes wrote: »
    Welcome to the internet, your Meme is about 10 years out of date.

But I see sarcasm is still the humour of the day....

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Angeles

ok a little offtopic, but did anyone else click on the jenna marbles youtube link and see the massive stalker popup saying HEY JENNA?

Had to screenshot that... i lol'd

jennam.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

Galtee wrote: »
    Maybe you'd suggest he ask them to hem his trousers?

No. I say ignore them and feel secure that you arent a complete piece of retarded trash that would do what they do. What good is fighting or attempting to fight those people going to do? Seriously?

The incidents so far have hardly been so terrible have they? They greeted him too enthusiastically ffs. Now i understand that he feels picked on but you cant go through life with everyone liking you. The OP should just be happy that it is people like the scrotes he has described who dont like him.

A fight is too dangerous. He is outnumbered 6 to 1. You havent been in such a situation obviously

Edit: and now i see my typo. Hem his trousers. Very good

No. I say ignore them and feel secure that you arent a complete piece of retarded trash that would do what they do. What good is fighting or attempting to fight those people going to do? Seriously?

The incidents so far have hardly been so terrible have they? They greeted him too enthusiastically ffs. Now i understand that he feels picked on but you cant go through life with everyone liking you. The OP should just be happy that it is people like the scrotes he has described who dont like him.

A fight is too dangerous. He is outnumbered 6 to 1. You havent been in such a situation obviously

Edit: and now i see my typo. Hem his trousers. Very good

Calm down I'm only yanking your chain about the Hem, just saw the typo and thought I'd pick you up on it. :) With regard to fighting, I don't condone fighting if it can be avoided but unfortunately there are some situations that warrant it. Sometimes there are idiots out there who will not leave you alone unless you stand up to them. That's just how it is. It's a little naive to suggest that you can always just walk away. Unfortunately it's not always that simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

Make a conscious effort to have sex with their sisters. Whenever they say something childish or annoying, just reply ''I did sex on your sister, and never called her again''.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Important: You and them are over 18, we are outside the realm of kids

Odds on the pack mentality is picking on a number of people, so even if it stops for you they will just target someone else. I know everyone says go violence route, but such things can end badly.

Also those telling you to cop on, ignore them. Nearly always this stuff escalates.

First ignore them. I mean go out of your way to ignore them, although do not be overt about it.

What I mean is walk on the other side of the road, or alternate route, but if doing so makes it look like you are avoiding them.

Second do not engage with the sarcasm. If they are sarcastically saying hello, just say hi back and walk on. If they laugh ignore as being related to you. Likewise if abuse does come, just agree with them. Confrontations can only escalate if the person has something to work against you.

Your overt ignoring them is what is escalating the matter, but if you just agree it doesn't leave them any direction to go.

Certainly don't engage in conversation and just leave if they try to.

Now if it moves beyond that were they get physical with you I would bring the guards or a solicitor into it (quite cheap to talk to one). They are not kids anymore, so a lot of **** that they would get away as a kid doesn't fly anymore.

I would document every incident up to that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Craven99 wrote: »
    But I see sarcasm is still the humour of the day....

But he's not being sarcastic: your meme actually is about ten years out of date!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

OP you've had two main suggestions on this board. Fight or flight! It goes as far back as the days we were all picking fleas out of each others hair. Ultimately you are the only person who can gauge this situation and decide which is the course for you. I've been very much on the side of nipping it in the bud because eventually my body gave me no choice. I used to get knocked around quite a bit and one day my adrenaline decided to put an end to it. I was never hassled again. I'm 30 years of age and I see these guys on the street, in the pub etc. and we get on like a house on fire.

Violence may not be the way forward for you. But I want to set something straight. There's no guarantee in the 'ignore them and they'll go away' suggestion. Rather than get bored of their childish name calling the chance that their mob mentality will make them a little bit braver and the abuse turn violent is just as real as them giving up.

It's up to you to decide what to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭seanbmc

It's similar to when I see younger people throw stuff at people on the bus or even at me. It's such a small thing but it can be intimidating at the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭spider guardian

Unless you are Jack Reacher taking on 6 guys at once is not a good idea. You don't sound like the type to do so, why be something you are not?

Just ignore the w*nkers, they will tire of this eventually

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Cilldara11

Unless you are Jack Reacher taking on 6 guys at once is not a good idea. You don't sound like the type to do so, why be something you are not?

+1 to this and what MrStuffins has said.

There is no reason to go hitting one of these guys, not with the current situation you've described anyway. Chin in the air and smile back at them. Showing that you're not bothered by them is the best way to get one over on them.

And el oh el at those saying to go over and throw a slap. Would you give your own siblings that advice? Doubtful.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭The Shark

Walk up to them and pester them for five minutes,
    Be all like well shams hows it goin? Stinks of piss here I don't know how you stand around here, Then pick out the most Scummiest dressed guy and say "oh nice shoes man where did you get them there class!" Faster than the garda id say. If one of them has an ipod or somehting ask them what there listening too, then tell them its ****.
    Basically just be twice the asshole back to them.
    Or question them about previous people they used to hassle.
    Ask em oh have you seen such and such since school? yeah It used to be real funny when ye took the piss out of him, have a rite old laugh about it and then abruptly be serious, say something really terrible that happened to him.
    Make them uncomfortable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Ignore them, requires no effort. They sound like they're not even worth blasting with piss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 sorifinh

I like what the Shark is saying, fighting like with like. There is no point going down the road of over reaction to snide comments with a physical fight. Having said that, if you're not sharp at thinking on your feet the fighting like with like thing could make it worse.

You obviously want this to stop, else you wouldn't have posted about it. Perhaps try find an opportunity were you are with your friends and isolate one of them and do the same to him?

I feel for you, my daughter didn't put her nose outside the door for 2 years because of the same thing and she was only 12/13.... I wanted to strangle the bastards personally but I knew I had to leave it be or it would worse for her. She's grand now TG, they got bored, she hardened up....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

And you know this for an absolute fact?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭spider guardian

MyKeyG wrote: »
    And you know this for an absolute fact?

Of course not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

op... do this.....

www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzPBUGUM7KQ

even without the gun, if you can pull it off they will **** themselves.. if one of them gets in your face put the fcuker down.

I have faced up to a few "bullies" in my time and they are nothing more than cowards when confronted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭maxfresh

A few tips here OP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

The only time I've ever been involved in a group annoying one person type scenario was during the snow last winter.

I was walking back through the town with my dogs and saw a group of young men (boys?) pelting the owner of a shop with snowballs. Sounds funny, right? But the poor girl was trying to salt the path outside her shop and these fools were seriously hurting her, she fell over and they kept throwing them while she picked herself up and ran in.

I had no other way home than to walk through this group. I was very nervous, to be honest.

As I approached I laughed and said - Are you gonna be an asshole to me too? In a jokey voice. Got a few jokes back as I walked through them. One of the tried to rub one of the dogs. A few hellos etc. I was pretty sure that they'd start throwing things at me once I had passed but they didn't. I think it's because I hadn't ignored it. I wonder if OP could just, broach the subject without trying to start a fight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,711 ✭✭✭Feisar

latenia wrote: »
    Wrong. Pick the biggest loudmouth and using the heel of your hand, punch his nose into his brain.

I'm pretty sure that one is an urban myth.

OP they are seriously sad individuals.

First they came for the socialists...

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Dammo

Don't go the physical route.

This gang has a leader who really fancies himself as a bit of a ladies man. He gets a blow job a couple of times a week from a disease-ridden skanger but secretly he lusts after some looker you both know from school who's out of his league. He's got no chance with her, he knows this and it really hurts. No amount of skanger blow jobs will make up for this hurt.

Befriend the looker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭csi vegas

Hi OP: Have you seen Hardy Bucks (I've not seen new season yet, just season 1)? I'm guessing you're living in a small rural town and these lads have nothing else to be doing than sitting on a wall outside their ****ebox car, listening to 'rave tunes' all day, waiting for someone ANYONE to pass by to slag. Trust me it's not you - it's EVERYONE. Everyone gets it, you just THINK it's only you. It really is nothing personal. They're just post puberty ghouls acting the maggot. They probably smoke a 'bitta hassshhh' (90% Bord Na Mona) and find everything funny and because they outnumber you they feel safe to say what they want, which is pathetic when you think about it really, not one of them would say anything to you if they were alone.

Best to 'agree' with their comments: "You're a so-and-so!"
    You roar over "Ya, sher what can I do lads", laugh, roll eyes to sky etc
    Also, maybe it's that you don't (understandably) make eye contact with them, this makes them think they are really getting to you, you should maybe salute over with a half raised arm and a quarter turn of the head, giving the (false of course) impression that you don't think them all that bad and they might just lay off if they think their 'magic' has worn off :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

John Doe1 wrote: »
    To be honest id get the oul lad out and blast them with urine

I doubt the OP's incontinent father would be of much help.

Advertisement