Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Increasing capacity at an Eircom exchange

• 13-11-2011 9:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭

How easy is it to get done?

Is it just physically impossible unless you take away broadband capability from someone else using the exchange or do some major upgrade work on the exchange costing tens of 1000s of Euro?

If not what is the best way of achieving it?

Political pressure

Being lucky enough to know an eircom linesman who would be able to flick a switch or two at the exchange

Try for a business line rather than a residential line

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭funnyname

Anyone or is it as I thought, a stupid question?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

As an individual, you will not be getting the capacity at the exchange increased. eircom would need to install additional DSLAMs and probably increase backhaul capacity. Neither is that cheap, and neither will be undertaken without serious payback opportunity. That opportunity simply doesn't exist on many exchanges in this country, which is why there will be no additional capacity.

eircom's current DSL roll out program has finished, and with it's current financial problems, I can't see it restarting.

Thanks Jor El, I am investigating the possibility of getting in a business line and or an additional residential line which might lead to broadband from eircom. Currently on FWA but it was flaky at best all last week and I want a steady service as I want to work from home.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Could be the backhaul is crap and that is the capacity constraint not DSLAM ports. Is it slow at night??

When it's good it doesn't seem that slow, I will take a few readings over next week all at the same time to see.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Most ( not all) exchanges in Galway have fibre backhaul and getting them to 1Gbit is both trivial and quick. The problem is with the ones backhauled over copper or some crock of a wireless system....and eircom have some awful crocks in rural Galway.

All seems to be well and pretty happy with the figures for the past week, mostly the same as this one from this evening.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1616128734.png

Advertisement